- Officials: Save Monarch butterfly, plant milkweed Updated: Apr-16-14 4:05 am
- Butterfly garden exhibit a kaleidoscope of color Updated: Apr-15-14 10:58 am
- Basket maker uses willow, hickory, honeysuckle Updated: Apr-12-14 12:14 pm
- Cemetery copes with deer eating gravesite flowers Updated: Apr-10-14 8:40 am
- 'Flower lady' brightens spirits at nursing homes Updated: Apr-07-14 11:26 am
- In Mexican jungle, surreal art garden Las Pozas Updated: Mar-31-14 1:20 pm
- Plant resurfaces in Delaware after a century Updated: Mar-30-14 10:04 am
- Texas pushes native plants for Monarch butterflies Updated: Mar-29-14 3:29 pm
- Extended forecast spurs caution for eager planters Updated: Mar-20-14 9:22 am
- Myanmar rebels, villagers destroy poppy crops Updated: Mar-20-14 5:44 am
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Illinois officials are asking residents to help increase Monarch butterfly populations by planting and preserving milkweed.
INDIANAPOLIS - As if riding on an invisible breeze, butterflies of all colors and shapes wove through the air inside the all-glass conservatory.
BEREA, Kentucky - To the outsider, Jennifer Heller Zurick's studio smells of spice. But really, it is the scent of willow fiber.
WILMINGTON, Delaware - Administrators of one Delaware cemetery are asking visitors to bring artificial flowers to gravesites, saying hungry deer are eating fresh floral arrangements there.
ANGOLA, Indiana - With each bud of gentleness, the woman known as "the flower lady" hands out posies as her committee sings hymns and patriotic tunes.
XILITLA, Mexico - At the end of a long, dirt road in Mexico's northeast jungle, two spiral staircases appear, leading nowhere amid an ornate concrete structure. Giant concrete fleur-de-lis flank a path, and tall bamboo-shaped columns surround a house with no walls. Oversize plaster orchids are in permanent bloom, while a natural waterfall ceaselessly flows down a mountain.
ELLENDALE, Delaware - The last time anyone saw the tiny, white flowers of Lobelia boykinii in Delaware was near Ellendale in July 1913.
HOUSTON - A half-century ago, Monarch butterflies - tired, hungry and bursting to lay eggs - found plenty of nourishment as they migrated from Mexico through Texas. Native white-flowering balls of antelope milkweed covered grassland areas, growing alongside other nectar-filled flowers.
VINCENNES, Indiana - The calendar may proclaim that spring has arrived, but experts advise against breaking out your gardening duds and flower pots just yet.
LOI CHYARAM VILLAGE, Myanmar - The rebel soldiers climbing this mountain, rifles at their shoulders, are going into battle not with government forces, but against opium crops that are destroying communities in eastern Myanmar as they succumb to drug addiction.