- GOP hopefuls take on illegal immigration in debate preview Updated: Aug-03-15 11:07 pm
MANCHESTER, New Hampshire - The Republican Party's presidential class demanded aggressive steps to curb illegal immigration, seizing on a delicate political issue while facing off in New Hampshire on Monday night during a crowded and pointed preview of the 2016 primary season's first full-fledged debate.
- Obama power plant rules spark 2016 fight over climate change Updated: Aug-03-15 5:09 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama's sweeping new power plant regulations are thrusting the divisive debate over climate change into the race for the White House, with candidates in both parties seeing an opportunity to capitalize.
- Christie stirs outrage of an old enemy, teachers unions Updated: Aug-03-15 1:58 pm
HADDONFIELD, New Jersey - New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie has again provoked the outrage of an old political enemy - teachers unions.
- Proof of Trump's charity giving elusive Updated: Aug-03-15 1:32 am
WASHINGTON - Donald Trump, widely believed to be the wealthiest American ever to run for president, is nowhere among the ranks of the country's most generous citizens, according to an Associated Press review of his financial records and other government filings.
- GOP hopeful Ted Cruz to visit Tupelo, Olive Branch Aug. 11 Updated: Aug-02-15 5:41 pm
OLIVE BRANCH, Mississippi - Republican presidential hopeful Ted Cruz will visit two north Mississippi cities this month.
- Conservative donor Koch urges end to 'corporate cronyism' Updated: Aug-01-15 9:31 pm
DANA POINT, California - Billionaire industrialist and conservative political donor Charles Koch welcomed a group of roughly 450 like-minded fundraisers to one of his twice-annual conferences Saturday by challenging them to advocate for ending "corporate cronyism" - even if those policies help their businesses.
- Ohio Gov. Kasich's family worth between $9M and $22M Updated: Aug-01-15 5:09 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio governor and Republican presidential hopeful John Kasich has publicly reported that he and his family are worth between $9 million and $22 million.
- Telemundo interviews Bush on wide range of topics Updated: Aug-01-15 2:47 pm
MIAMI - Republican presidential candidate Jeb Bush says he's not worried about running against Donald Trump for the nomination or the fact that the billionaire businessman is in first place in several national polls.
- Clinton releases tax, medical records as emails made public Updated: Aug-01-15 3:21 am
WASHINGTON - Hillary Rodham Clinton and her husband paid close to $44 million in federal taxes since 2007 and she is in "excellent physical condition," two facts that emerged in a flood of disclosures from the campaign of the Democratic presidential candidate.
- Christie, others turn to McCain's town hall playbook in 2016 Updated: Aug-01-15 3:19 am
CONCORD, New Hampshire - In the summer of 1999, John McCain didn't have many big names backing his campaign for president. He didn't have much money, either, and even resorted at one point to giving away ice cream to drum up a decent-size crowd.
- Taking on Bush and Rubio, Clinton calls for Cuba embargo end Updated: Jul-31-15 4:16 pm
MIAMI - Drawing a sharp distinction with Republican rivals in the pivotal election state of Florida, Hillary Rodham Clinton on Friday called on the GOP-run Congress to end the trade embargo the U.S. has imposed on Cuba since 1962
- Clinton's doctor says 2016 candidate in "excellent" health Updated: Jul-31-15 3:33 pm
WASHINGTON - Hillary Rodham Clinton's physician said Friday that the Democratic presidential candidate is in "excellent physical condition" and has completely recovered from the effects of a concussion she suffered in 2012.
- South Carolina senator backs Mark Kirk's re-election bid Updated: Jul-31-15 6:23 am
CHICAGO - South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham brought his Republican presidential campaign to Chicago's Pilsen neighborhood, where he voiced his support of Illinois Sen. Mark Kirk's bid for re-election.
- Trump's call for mass deportations runs into messy realities Updated: Jul-30-15 6:10 pm
NEW YORK - In one of his first forays into policy as a presidential candidate, Republican Donald Trump is calling for the deportation of all 11 million people estimated to be living in the country illegally and allowing what he calls "really good people" to return.
- Kasich is 5th candidate who plans to attend Michigan event Updated: Jul-30-15 4:07 am
MACKINAC ISLAND, Michigan - Ohio Gov. John Kasich is scheduled to speak at a Republican gathering in Michigan in September.
- Presidential hopeful Kasich says running Ohio still priority Updated: Jul-29-15 4:19 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio Gov. John Kasich said running the state remains his top priority even as he campaigns elsewhere for the Republican presidential nomination.
- On Capitol Hill, GOP fighting itself instead of Democrats Updated: Jul-29-15 4:10 pm
WASHINGTON - When Republicans took full control of Congress this year, they were determined to show voters they could govern responsibly. Instead they've been tearing each other apart in extraordinarily public displays, delighting Democrats and giving some in the GOP heartburn as the party aims for the White House in 2016.
- Obama calls GOP criticism of Iran deal 'ridiculous,' 'sad' Updated: Jul-27-15 10:55 pm
ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia - President Barack Obama unleashed a blistering and belittling rebuke of Republican White House hopefuls Monday, calling their attack on his landmark nuclear deal with Iran "ridiculous if it weren't so sad."
- Booker: Christie is the most underestimated 2016 candidate Updated: Jul-27-15 5:24 pm
NEWARK, New Jersey - Don't count Chris Christie out.
- Kansas GOP, Democrats plan early March presidential caucuses Updated: Jul-27-15 3:43 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Republicans and Democrats in Kansas both hope March 5 caucuses will lure serious contenders for their parties' 2016 presidential nominations to the state.
- Tim Scott rolls out town hall schedule with GOP hopefuls Updated: Jul-27-15 11:14 am
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - South Carolina's junior senator is offering voters a chance to get to know some of the Republican presidential candidates.
- As Democrats fret over 'sharing economy,' GOP moves in Updated: Jul-26-15 2:55 am
DENVER - The debate over ride-hailing firm Uber is laying bare divides in the Democratic Party and on the left about how to handle the new "sharing" economy. Republicans are hungry to exploit that ambivalence and make inroads into a wealthy sector of the tech industry.
- GOP's Walker hits Obama on Iran, strikes combative tone Updated: Jul-23-15 4:48 pm
SAN DIEGO - Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker told a sympathetic crowd of state lawmakers from around the country Thursday that he would trash the nuclear deal with Iran on his first day as president, striking a combative tone on how he would govern on a range of domestic and foreign policy issues.
- Donald Trump wealth details released by federal regulators Updated: Jul-22-15 5:00 pm
WASHINGTON - Federal election regulators released new details Wednesday about Republican presidential candidate and celebrity businessman Donald Trump's wealth and financial holdings, weeks after he estimated his net worth at roughly $10 billion.
- South Carolina editorial roundup Updated: Jul-22-15 3:41 pm
Recent editorials from South Carolina newspapers: