- Snyder rules out Cabinet position in reaction to speculation Updated: May-04-15 3:48 pm
LANSING, Michigan - Gov. Rick Snyder said Monday he is not angling for a Cabinet position, despite speculation that could be the case as he travels around the country promoting Michigan's rebound.
- GOP field grows: Fiorina, Carson launch presidential bids Updated: May-04-15 12:25 pm
WASHINGTON - Former technology executive Carly Fiorina and retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson jumped into the race for the Republican presidential nomination Monday, both longshots who nevertheless have the potential to attract a more diverse group of supporters to the party.
- Financing plan for Medicaid expansion wins committee support Updated: May-04-15 12:19 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Lawmakers have repeatedly refused to expand Louisiana's Medicaid program, siding with Gov. Bobby Jindal in opposition. But on Monday, they started advancing a proposal that would help pay for an expansion if Louisiana's next governor has any interest.
- 2016 presidential prospect Gov. John Kasich returning to NH Updated: May-04-15 12:02 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio Gov. John Kasich (KAY'-sik) returns to New Hampshire this week as he continues to weigh a 2016 bid for president.
- Ex-Christie allies plead not guilty in bridge case Updated: May-04-15 11:25 am
NEWARK, New Jersey - Two former political allies of Republican New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie entered not guilty pleas Monday after they were charged for their alleged involvement in politically motivated lane closures of the George Washington Bridge in 2013.
- Former tech executive Carly Fiorina enters presidential race Updated: May-04-15 7:37 am
WASHINGTON - Former technology executive Carly Fiorina says she is running for president.
- In Congress, income inequality fact of life for food servers Updated: May-04-15 3:38 am
WASHINGTON - Income inequality is more than a political sound bite to workers in the Capitol. It's their life.
- With Walker a 2016 GOP force, Kasich and Snyder ponder runs Updated: May-04-15 3:36 am
WASHINGTON - Wisconsin's Scott Walker has emerged as a force in the 2016 White House contest. It's a position two other Republican governors from the Midwest, lesser known but similarly ambitious, undoubtedly would like to be in.
- Poverty edging into 2016 presidential race amid city unrest Updated: May-04-15 3:31 am
WASHINGTON - In a presidential campaign where candidates are jockeying to be champions of the middle class and asking wealthy people for money, the problems facing the poor are inching into the debate.
- Nevada Legislature Week 14: Clinton visit and more tax talk Updated: May-02-15 8:43 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - The pressure of passing a tax package to fund Gov. Brian Sandoval's two-year budget will continue to mount in Week 14 of the Nevada Legislature.
- Bridge scandal charges may prove a mixed bag for Christie Updated: May-02-15 3:23 am
NEWARK, New Jersey - The charges handed down against three former allies of Gov. Chris Christie in the George Washington Bridge traffic scandal provide mixed news for the Republican governor as he tries to regain momentum in support of an expected presidential bid.
- AP-GfK Poll: Favorable views of Clinton top her GOP rivals Updated: May-02-15 3:17 am
WASHINGTON - Americans are more likely to have a favorable view of Hillary Rodham Clinton than any of her potential Republican rivals in 2016's race for the presidency, even though few see the former secretary of state as honest, according to a new Associated Press-GfK poll.
- Christie to attend breakfast ahead of Georgia GOP convention Updated: May-01-15 5:22 pm
ATLANTA - New Jersey Gov. Christie Christie is scheduled to attend a breakfast event as Georgia Republicans open their state convention later this month.
- US Sen. Rand Paul to visit Grand Rapids next week Updated: Apr-30-15 2:31 am
GRAND RAPIDS, Michigan - Republican presidential contender Rand Paul will make a campaign stop next week in Grand Rapids.
- Rubio to speak at Georgia Republicans' state convention Updated: Apr-29-15 2:22 pm
ATLANTA - Presidential candidate Marco Rubio is slated to address Georgia Republicans at the party's state convention next month.
- Christie's wife says resigning from job means time with kids Updated: Apr-27-15 6:15 pm
FRANKLIN TOWNSHIP, New Jersey - Speaking to reporters for the first time since resigning from her job on Wall Street, Gov. Chris Christie's wife said her husband has not yet decided whether to run for president in 2016.
- Kasich says money, ability to compete will drive GOP bid Updated: Apr-26-15 11:10 am
WASHINGTON - Ohio Gov. John Kasich says his ability to raise money and compete in the early primary states will guide his decision on whether to make a full run for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination.
- Iowans hear from GOP field on social issues Updated: Apr-26-15 8:10 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - For conservative Christian voters, the 2016 presidential race has almost too many options to take in.
- Obama turns 2016 hopefuls into comic fodder for media dinner Updated: Apr-26-15 5:06 am
WASHINGTON - A presidential election just getting into gear provided President Barack Obama plenty of new material to work with on the night he describes as Washington celebrating itself.
- The Latest on GOP's 2016 hopefuls: Iowans see a bumper crop Updated: Apr-25-15 10:48 pm
9 p.m. CDT (10 p.m. EDT)
- Pennsylvania Sen. Bob Casey to endorse Hillary Clinton Updated: Apr-23-15 8:04 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - Pennsylvania Sen. Bob Casey is preparing to publicly endorse Hillary Rodham Clinton for president.
- Gay marriage a difficult issue for GOP White House hopefuls Updated: Apr-23-15 11:41 am
NEW YORK - For Democratic politicians, same-sex marriage has become an easy issue: They're for it. Many Republican VIPs - notably the presidential hopefuls - face a far more complicated landscape.
- House agrees to adjust NC presidential primary date Updated: Apr-22-15 9:52 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The North Carolina House agreed Wednesday night to try to push back the date of next year's North Carolina presidential primary by a few weeks to avoid cuts in national convention delegates, particularly for Republicans who had moved up the contest date from May.
- 3 Chris Christie transition team members backing Jeb Bush Updated: Apr-21-15 7:06 pm
WASHINGTON - At least three members of New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie's 2009 transition team are backing former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush's likely bid for the Republican presidential nomination.
- Rubio to headline annual Connecticut Republican fundraiser Updated: Apr-20-15 6:19 pm
STAMFORD, Connecticut - Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, who recently declared his candidacy for president, is headlining the Connecticut Republican Party's annual fundraising dinner.