- State Rainy Day Fund to restore library, senior center cuts Updated: Apr-30-16 12:34 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - Budget cuts of about $1 million each to Arkansas libraries and for senior citizen centers will be restored with money from the state's Rainy Day Fund, according to legislative leaders.
- Florida woman accused of stealing from summer food program Updated: Apr-30-16 11:42 am
MEMPHIS, Tennessee - A Florida woman is accused of stealing thousands of dollars from a summer feeding program for low-income children.
- Ohio invests in opening recovery houses for heroin addicts Updated: Apr-30-16 9:52 am
DAYTON, Ohio - When residents of the Ome Garden neighborhood got word of plans for moving recovering drug addicts into a vacant house, they didn't like what they were hearing.
- Victim advocates criticize deputy sheriff's sex case defense Updated: Apr-30-16 9:43 am
MANCHESTER, New Hampshire - Victim advocates in New Hampshire say they're stunned by a former deputy sheriff's defense that the inmate he was convicted this week of sexually assaulting during transport lured him into having sex with her.
- Educated migrants have edge as Germany aims for integration Updated: Apr-30-16 7:14 am
BERLIN - Wafaa Askar arrived in Germany barely a year and a half ago from her Syrian homeland, but she already speaks German fluently and counts more Germans than Syrians as friends. Orhan Sahin arrived from Turkey more than three decades ago, but still feels like a foreigner and speaks in broken German.
- 8 killed in 1982 Investor murders remembered in exhibit Updated: Apr-30-16 7:01 am
BELLINGHAM, Washington - Does the time ever come when a community stops remembering a murdered group of its own? In the case of Blaine, possibly not.
- Abuse survivor begins new life after prison Updated: Apr-30-16 3:01 am
PENSACOLA, Florida - The hard part about meeting Deidre Cox is reconciling the present day version of this gracious woman with the description of the person who was sentenced to prison in 2008 after escaping from a work release program.
- Bill allowing medical marijuana for kids clears Senate Updated: Apr-29-16 11:52 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - A bill that that would allow minors with certain debilitating conditions to use Connecticut's medical marijuana program has cleared its final legislative hurdle.
- The Latest: Hawaii advances bills on hot classrooms, ferries Updated: Apr-29-16 11:04 pm
HONOLULU - The Latest on the Hawaii Legislature negotiating dozens of bills before a deadline (all times local):
- Hawaii selects businesses for medical pot but excludes actor Updated: Apr-29-16 9:57 pm
HONOLULU - Hawaii selected eight businesses Friday to open medical marijuana dispensaries - but not one owned by Woody Harrelson.
- 8 children, 2 tied up in backyard, rescued from Texas home Updated: Apr-29-16 7:33 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - A late-night phone call to police about a crying child led to the discovery of eight children unsupervised at a San Antonio home, including a 2-year-old boy chained in the backyard and a 3-year-old girl tied to a door with a dog leash, authorities said Friday.
- The Latest: Iditarod bans musher in domestic violence case Updated: Apr-29-16 7:08 pm
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - The Latest on the Iditarod banning a musher facing domestic violence charges from next year's race (all times local):
- Ban on female guards to be lifted in 9/11 case at Guantanamo Updated: Apr-29-16 6:40 pm
MIAMI - The military judge presiding over the Sept. 11 war crimes proceedings at Guantanamo Bay said in a ruling this week that he will eventually lift his order prohibiting female guards from having physical contact with the five defendants while transporting them around the U.S. base in Cuba.
- The Latest: 2 kids found in Texas home still hospitalized Updated: Apr-29-16 6:33 pm
SAN ANTONIO - The Latest on authorities finding eight unsupervised children at a San Antonio home, including two toddlers found tied up in the backyard (all times local):
- New Hampshire's first medical marijuana dispensary to open Updated: Apr-29-16 5:34 pm
CONCORD, New Hampshire - New Hampshire's first medical marijuana dispensary is set to open after receiving its registration certificate.
- Number of homeless in Pierce County jumps 37 percent Updated: Apr-29-16 5:28 pm
TACOMA, Washington - The number of people living outside, in cars or in shelters in Pierce County has jumped by 37 percent since last year.
- Students express anger at Yale's decision on Calhoun College Updated: Apr-29-16 4:00 pm
NEW HAVEN, Connecticut - Students threw fake money at Yale President Peter Salovey during a forum to discuss the school's decision not to remove the name of a famous slavery advocate from one of its residential colleges.
- Kansas to text parents who owe child support payments Updated: Apr-29-16 3:55 pm
WICHITA, Kansas - Kansas Department for Children and Families officials say it will begin texting parents who owe child support in an effort increase collections.
- Oklahoma Medicaid cuts to limit mental health care access Updated: Apr-29-16 3:31 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - The Oklahoma Health Care Authority board has approved cuts that could potentially trim care for thousands of low-income residents with mental illnesses and substance use disorders.
- Correction: Illinois Budget-Home Care-Overtime story Updated: Apr-29-16 1:21 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - In a story April 28 about overtime pay for personal home care providers, The Associated Press reported erroneously that providers who are unable to find replacements to work the extra hours would have to do the work for free. They will be approved for overtime pay if no backup providers can be found.
- New York governor: Give Medicaid to inmates before release Updated: Apr-29-16 12:37 pm
ALBANY, New York - New York's governor is seeking federal approval to extend Medicaid coverage to inmates who face serious health challenges immediately before they're released from prison.
- Police in Washington state fatally shoot man with knife Updated: Apr-29-16 11:30 am
SEATTLE - Two Spokane officers fatally shot a man outside a homeless shelter after he approached them with a knife, police said.
- Tennessee ACLU, family sue over teen solitary confinement Updated: Apr-29-16 7:04 am
MURFREESBORO, Tennessee - The American Civil Liberties Union of Tennessee has joined a lawsuit against the Department of Children's Services and the Rutherford County Juvenile Detention Center to end the use of solitary confinement for children.
- Board to review 15 conditions for Illinois medical marijuana Updated: Apr-29-16 6:50 am
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Illinois patients who want to use medical marijuana legally will try again to expand the program to include chronic pain, diabetes, migraine and other health conditions.
- 5 indicted in Phoenix for marijuana growing scheme Updated: Apr-29-16 5:52 am
PHOENIX - Five people are accused of falsely gaining medical marijuana grower status to illegally sell cannabis in Phoenix.