- Possible steps for closing MBTA deficit include service cuts Updated: Nov-30-15 4:22 pm
BOSTON - Reduced late-night services and changes to a ride program for disabled passengers are among steps transit officials have identified as ways to help erase the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority's growing operating deficit.
- Ohio seeks flexibility in work rules for those on welfare Updated: Nov-30-15 4:19 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio officials have asked the federal government for flexibility in work requirements for some welfare recipients, saying that certain rules don't provide enough time for people to complete vocational training or other job-related activities.
- Feds say U of Chicago threat a response to police shooting Updated: Nov-30-15 4:12 pm
CHICAGO - An online threat against the University of Chicago that led the school to cancel all activities Monday appears to have been motivated by the shooting of a black teenager by a Chicago officer in 2014, federal authorities said.
- The Latest: US House leader won't pay for climate deal Updated: Nov-30-15 3:16 pm
PARIS - The latest news from the U.N. climate conference that began Monday in Paris. All times local:
- Many low-income families turned away from pre-K program Updated: Nov-30-15 3:07 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - The majority of families who applied for Indiana's new preschool pilot program for disadvantaged children were turned away due to limited funding.
- No takers yet for historic Oak Ridge WWII-era temporary town Updated: Nov-30-15 2:47 pm
OAK RIDGE, Tennessee - Organizations that work with the homeless have not expressed any interest in acquiring the 160-acre tract in Oak Ridge where thousands of people lived during the secret World War II Manhattan Project.
- Fayetteville takes on area homeless program Updated: Nov-30-15 2:40 pm
FAYETTEVILLE, Arkansas - The city of Fayetteville will for the first time accept federal grants to help homeless residents find and keep housing after a prominent area shelter bowed out of the housing program.
- Texas threatens resettlement agency over Syrian refugees Updated: Nov-30-15 2:05 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Texas wanted assurances Monday from a major resettlement agency that it will not accept Syrian refugees and threatened legal action if Republican Gov. Greg Abbott's orders are defied.
- State could owe millions after ruling in child support case Updated: Nov-30-15 1:45 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - A judge's decision against the Oklahoma Department of Human Services in a class-action lawsuit could cost the state millions of dollars if upheld on appeal.
- State struggling to meet foster care goals Updated: Nov-30-15 1:28 pm
SEATTLE - Washington state is struggling to meet all the requirements of a landmark lawsuit intended to improve foster-care services for children.
- Salt Lake County jail lockdown lifted after prisoner attacks Updated: Nov-30-15 1:05 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Authorities say the Salt Lake County jail lockdown has lifted after two officers and a nurse were attacked by prisoners during the holiday weekend.
- NJ Transit seeks to limit homeless at its stations Updated: Nov-30-15 11:35 am
ATLANTIC CITY, New Jersey - New Jersey Transit is assessing a pilot program that limits waiting room seating at some of its stations and keeps the homeless moving.
- Action plan being presented to help deal with drug abuse Updated: Nov-30-15 7:53 am
ESCANABA, Michigan - An action plan is being presented in Michigan's Upper Peninsula to deal with what officials say is a growing problem of drug addiction.
- NYC agency helping deadbeat parents find jobs Updated: Nov-30-15 7:20 am
NEW YORK - The city's Human Resources Administration is working to help deadbeat parents find jobs so they can pay child support.
- Jesse Jackson: Syrian refugees should be welcomed in US Updated: Nov-30-15 6:08 am
DEARBORN, Michigan - The Rev. Jesse Jackson says Syrian refugees should be welcomed in the U.S. and turning them away is legally and morally wrong.
- After uncertainty, new start for Syrian family in Germany Updated: Nov-30-15 5:32 am
ZWICKAU, Germany - Just before dawn, a worker shook the matriarch of the refugee family out of sleep at their asylum center in a depressed German town.
- State representative waging battle against heroin use Updated: Nov-30-15 5:06 am
OLDENBURG, Indiana - It is a moment Rep. Cindy Ziemke will never forget: finding her 23-year-old son unconscious in the basement of her home.
- At least 6 killed in fight among inmates at Guatemala prison Updated: Nov-29-15 10:36 pm
GUATEMALA CITY - Officials in Guatemala say a brawl among inmates at an overcrowded prison killed six people and wounded several others.
- EU, Turkey seek better relations at emergency refugee summit Updated: Nov-29-15 4:31 pm
BRUSSELS - European Union leaders and the Turkish prime minister sealed a joint summit with a commitment to re-energize Turkey's long-stalled membership talks and bolster their common resolve to deal with the Syrian refugee crisis.
- Nebraska law enforcement concerned about mental illness Updated: Nov-29-15 3:33 pm
GRAND ISLAND, Nebraska - Law enforcement and mental health officials in central Nebraska say the problem of people with mental health issues isn't getting any better.
- Mother indicted months after baby born addicted to cocaine Updated: Nov-29-15 3:07 pm
FLORENCE, Alabama - Authorities say a woman has been indicted months after her daughter was born addicted to cocaine.
- Experts: Pain pill addicts fueling Iowa's heroin epidemic Updated: Nov-29-15 1:47 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Iowa's crackdown on prescription painkillers is pushing more abusers to heroin, spurring a deadly new wave of addictions that experts say has reached epidemic proportions.
- New app developed to help homeless people Updated: Nov-29-15 1:33 pm
HIGHLAND HEIGHTS, Kentucky - A new app developed at Northern Kentucky University aims to help homeless people in the Cincinnati area.
- Norway mulls using heroin to prevent deadly overdoses Updated: Nov-29-15 12:26 pm
BERGEN, Norway - The pale, zombie-like addicts staggering through concrete underpasses make an unlikely scene in wealthy Norway's picturesque second city. As a gateway to the fjords which zigzag the oil-rich nation's long coastline, Bergen is the last stop on a global drug route that gives it one of the worst heroin problems in Europe.
- Panhandle family finds love after earthquake deaths Updated: Nov-29-15 11:16 am
ROSEMARY BEARCH, Florida - A Panhandle couple has found love and healing through adoption after losing four grandchildren more than 15 years ago.