- Sheriff launches internal probe of escape of 3 jail inmates Updated: Feb-05-16 12:23 am
SANTA ANA, California - Orange County's sheriff has formally announced an internal administrative investigation of how three violent inmates broke out of a Southern California jail.
- Ex-Indiana Gov. Whitcomb, POW in World War II, dies at 98 Updated: Feb-04-16 6:48 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Former Indiana Gov. Edgar Whitcomb, who escaped from a Japanese prisoner camp by swimming overnight during World War II and then made an around-the-world solo sailing trip while in his 70s, has died at age 98.
- NY man who killed wife sentenced for jail bribery attempt Updated: Feb-04-16 11:44 am
NORWICH, New York - A New York man serving a 25-year-to-life sentence in a state prison for killing his wife has been given additional time behind bars for trying to bribe his way out of an upstate jail.
- Police: Man who escaped twice recaptured Updated: Feb-04-16 6:56 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Baton Rouge police have booked a man who escaped from work release, was recaptured, then accidentally released from prison.
- The Latest: Cabbie says California jail fugitive saved him Updated: Feb-03-16 5:39 pm
WESTMINSTER, California - The Latest on three inmates who were recaptured after escaping from a California jail (all times local):
- NY inmate who sparked 3-week manhunt gets more prison time Updated: Feb-03-16 5:21 pm
PLATTSBURGH, New York - A convicted killer already serving life behind bars was ordered Wednesday to pay restitution and sentenced to additional prison time for his daring escape last year from a maximum-security prison in northern New York.
- Saline County jail inmate walks away from work detail Updated: Feb-03-16 2:44 pm
BENTON, Arkansas - The Saline County Sheriff's Office says a county jail inmate has escaped.
- 911 call reveals fugitive was scared, ready to surrender Updated: Feb-02-16 8:58 am
SANTA ANA, California - The first of three fugitives to be caught after a California jail escape said he was scared and ready to surrender, a 911 call released Monday revealed.
- 'Mastermind' of California jail escape has long past Updated: Jan-29-16 12:01 am
SANTA ANA, California - The alleged mastermind of a brazen California jail break was a small-town paint store manager fresh out of the Marines when his life changed with a car accident. That accident killed his friend and sent him into a spiral culminating with his arrest on charges he tortured and mutilated a man, then left him to die in the desert.
- A look at the escape of 3 inmates from a jail in California Updated: Jan-27-16 9:33 pm
SANTA ANA, California - A manhunt is continuing for three inmates who escaped from a jail in California last week by cutting through a grate, climbing through plumbing tunnels and rappelling to the ground from the roof.
- Sioux City work release inmate listed as escaped Updated: Jan-27-16 10:23 am
SIOUX CITY, Iowa - The Iowa Corrections Department says a 26-year-old inmate has been listed as escaped from the work release facility in Sioux City.
- Officers follow tracks in snow, catch fugitive Iowa inmate Updated: Jan-27-16 8:33 am
COUNCIL BLUFFS, Iowa - Authorities say officers have captured an inmate listed as escaped from the Council Bluffs Work Release Facility.
- Prosecutor chided for calling escapee 'Hannibal Lecter' Updated: Jan-26-16 8:52 pm
SANTA ANA, California - Orange County's district attorney on Tuesday rebuked one of the prosecutors in his office for referring to one of three escaped Southern California inmates as "Hannibal Lecter."
- Report: Orange County jail slow to add security cameras Updated: Jan-26-16 9:53 am
SANTA ANA, California - A newspaper report finds the Orange County Sheriff's Department has been slow to add more rooftop security cameras at its Central Jail - site of last week's brazen escape - despite recommendations by a grand jury for eight years straight.
- Inmate apprehended after escaping release center in Newton Updated: Jan-25-16 2:08 am
NEWTON, Iowa - An inmate who escaped a minimum security facility in Newton has been apprehended.
- Mexico president to accelerate extradition of drug lord Updated: Jan-22-16 1:46 pm
MEXICO CITY - Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto said Friday he's ordering officials to accelerate the extradition of recaptured drug lord Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman to the United States.
- German prison guards face probe over beer hall blunder Updated: Jan-22-16 9:59 am
BERLIN - Two German prison guards face a criminal investigation after they allowed a convicted rapist to escape during a visit to a beer hall.
- Last defendant in barista sex case escapes jail time Updated: Jan-22-16 5:04 am
EVERETT, Washington - An espresso stand worker who pleaded guilty to helping her boss run a prostitution operation out of the Snohomish County business will not receive jail time.
- Sex offender found days after escaping Des Moines facility Updated: Jan-21-16 5:50 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - A sex offender who escaped from a Des Moines facility has been arrested.
- Mexican state lawmaker to be questioned about 'El Chapo' Updated: Jan-20-16 11:50 pm
MEXICO CITY - A state lawmaker from Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman's home of Sinaloa has been brought in to speak to investigators about her relationship with the recently recaptured drug lord, Mexico's attorney general's office said late Wednesday.
- Man who escaped custody after assault arrest gets 35 years Updated: Jan-19-16 11:13 pm
BOZEMAN, Montana - A Bozeman man who assaulted an ex-girlfriend and a police officer - then escaped custody with his hands cuffed and legs shackled - has been sentenced to 35 years in prison.
- Man who escaped Grays Harbor County custody now back in jail Updated: Jan-18-16 12:48 pm
HOQUIAM, Washington - Hoquiam Police have arrested a man who escaped from Grays Harbor County custody while on a medical furlough.
- Iowa work release inmate listed as escaped has returned Updated: Jan-18-16 12:48 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - A 25-year-old inmate who was listed as escaped from the Fort Des Moines Work Release Facility has returned.
- 2 Iranian poets, facing lashings and prison, escape country Updated: Jan-18-16 9:32 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Two Iranian poets who face lashings and prison sentences have fled Iran, one of the writers said Monday, a rare escape for local artists and activists ensnared in an ongoing crackdown on expression in the country.
- Hendricks County inmate who escaped in truck recaptured Updated: Jan-16-16 3:44 pm
GREENWOOD, Indiana - A Hendricks County jail inmate who escaped in a stolen truck has been recaptured in a southern Indianapolis suburb.