- Teens won't register as sex offenders after guilty plea Updated: Nov-30-15 8:21 am
EVERETT, Washington - Three Washington state teens will spend 20 days in juvenile detention for sexual assault but will not have to register as sex offenders.
- Inmate stabbed to death at Bessemer prison Updated: Nov-30-15 3:15 am
BESSEMER, Alabama - An inmate has been stabbed to death at the William E. Donaldson Correctional Facility in Bessemer.
- At least 6 killed in fight among inmates at Guatemala prison Updated: Nov-29-15 10:36 pm
GUATEMALA CITY - Officials in Guatemala say a brawl among inmates at an overcrowded prison killed six people and wounded several others.
- Suicides, attempted suicides up in Texas prisons Updated: Nov-29-15 2:10 pm
LOVELADY, Texas - Suicides in Texas prisons have risen between the last seven full years, a trend that troubles advocates for prison reform.
- Jailer organizes toy drive for children of inmates Updated: Nov-29-15 1:39 pm
STANFORD, Kentucky - When Lincoln County Jailer Rob Wilson asked inmates how they would feel about a holiday toy drive for their children, tears filled the eyes of many.
- Authorities: Inmate escaped from Indiana jail captured Updated: Nov-29-15 10:52 am
VERSAILLES, Indiana - Authorities in southeastern Indiana say an inmate who escaped from jail is back in custody after a nine-hour search.
- Nebraska prison riot damage could cost state $1.5 million Updated: Nov-29-15 10:09 am
LINCOLN, Nebraska - Fixing the damage caused by a southeast Nebraska prison riot cost far more than initially predicted and could take until mid-2016 to complete, according to estimates released by the corrections department.
- Inmate at Montana State Prison dies after extended illness Updated: Nov-28-15 6:48 pm
DEER LODGE, Montana - Officials say a 75-year-old inmate at Montana State Prison has died following an extended illness.
- Pulaski County jail to open new clinic for pregnant inmates Updated: Nov-27-15 12:27 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - The Pulaski County jail will soon open an on-site prenatal clinic to treat pregnant inmates, months after it agreed to a $179,500 lawsuit with inmates who'd sued over the care they received at the facility.
- Lincoln man's magazine gives inmates an outlet Updated: Nov-26-15 9:00 am
LINCOLN, Nebraska - Tommy Redd has never served a prison sentence, but he has seen the effect of prison sentences on inmates through their art and writings.
- 2 state prison inmates die following extended illnesses Updated: Nov-25-15 11:41 pm
BUTTE, Montana - Montana State Prison officials say two inmates died this week following extended illnesses.
- Inmate kicks out police window, jumps onto Arizona freeway Updated: Nov-25-15 5:06 pm
TEMPE, Arizona - Authorities in suburban Phoenix say a handcuffed and shackled inmate was seriously injured after he kicked out a window in a police transport van on a freeway and jumped out of the moving vehicle.
- US Senator talks with inmates about reducing recidivism Updated: Nov-25-15 1:23 pm
CRANSTON, Rhode Island - Rhode Island prison inmates have given a U.S. Senator something to think about.
- Pregnant teen heading to prison for refusing to testify Updated: Nov-25-15 6:07 am
PHILADELPHIA - A pregnant teenager is heading to prison for refusing to testify against her boyfriend in the slaying of a Pennsylvania man earlier this year.
- Man heading to prison in killing outside Pittsburgh bar Updated: Nov-25-15 4:28 am
PITTSBURGH - A man convicted in a stabbing death outside a Pittsburgh bar last year after he escaped from a halfway house is heading to prison.
- Convict on the run since 2009 is extradited to Arizona Updated: Nov-24-15 8:15 pm
PHOENIX - A convict who escaped from a Maricopa County courthouse during his 2009 trial on sexual assault charges has been extradited to Arizona.
- New Mexico will temporarily lock down state prisons Updated: Nov-24-15 9:51 am
SANTA FE, New Mexico - New Mexico's 11 state-run prisons will be on lockdown for a few days while staff member search for banned items.
- Williston jail ordered to reduce female inmate population Updated: Nov-24-15 8:08 am
WILLISTON, North Dakota - State corrections officials have ordered the Williams County jail to reduce its population of female inmates.
- Police search for 2 inmates who escaped from Vinita prison Updated: Nov-24-15 7:59 am
VINITA, Oklahoma - Police are searching for two convicts who escaped from a prison in Vinita.
- Tax for Florida Parishes juvenile detention center fails Updated: Nov-24-15 7:25 am
COVINGTON, Louisiana - The stunning, across-the-board failure of the Florida Parishes Juvenile Justice District's property tax renewal on Saturday leaves the district with few options for keeping open the doors of the north shore's only juvenile detention center.
- Knox County, sheriff's office facing $5M lawsuit Updated: Nov-24-15 6:35 am
KNOXVILLE, Tennessee - A man has filed a $5 million lawsuit against Knox County after he says jail officers failed to take into account his mental illness, which he says led to officers beating him.
- 2 North Texas detention officers indicted in inmate's death Updated: Nov-23-15 8:47 pm
FORT WORTH, Texas - A grand jury indicted two North Texas detention officers Monday in connection with the death of a man who died while in custody at the Arlington city jail.
- Inmate escapes custody in Meridian Updated: Nov-23-15 5:32 pm
MERIDIAN, Mississippi - Authorities are continuing a search for a Mississippi Department of Corrections inmate, who escaped custody in Meridian last week.
- Study: Ohio a leader in diverting youth from prisons Updated: Nov-23-15 2:26 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A new study shows Ohio as a national leader in diverting juveniles to lower-cost community programs instead of prison.
- Editorials from around Oregon Updated: Nov-23-15 12:34 pm
Selected editorials from Oregon newspapers.