- Missing California inmate found dead hours after fight Updated: May-05-15 7:02 pm
VACAVILLE, California - Officials are investigating whether the death of an inmate who went missing from a Northern California prison is related to a fight among prisoners earlier in the day.
- Fingerprint ruse IDs Florida man as longtime Ohio fugitive Updated: May-05-15 5:58 pm
ORLANDO, Florida - A man convicted of manslaughter walked away from an Ohio prison farm in 1959, then was allowed to slip away from law enforcement in 1975 and disappeared until a ruse to get his fingerprints led to his arrest in Florida this week, investigators said Tuesday.
- Inmate files lawsuit over lack of timely medical care Updated: May-05-15 2:44 pm
HAGATNA, Guam - A Guan inmate says the Department of Corrections violated his Eighth Amendment rights when officers failed to provide him with medical care.
- California seeks to block inmate's sex reassignment surgery Updated: May-05-15 2:13 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California officials want a federal appeals court to block a judge's order that the state immediately provide a transgender prisoner with sex reassignment surgery.
- Ex-clinic chief in Las Vegas hepatitis case gets prison time Updated: May-05-15 1:53 pm
LAS VEGAS - The former business chief of a Las Vegas medical clinic linked to a 2007 hepatitis C outbreak has been sentenced to a year and a day in federal prison after pleading guilty to conspiracy to commit health care fraud.
- 4 Mississippi escape caught in Louisiana Updated: May-05-15 10:43 am
HOUMA, Louisiana - Terrebonne Parish sheriff's deputies have arrested four of seven men who escaped from a Mississippi jail Sunday night.
- Substance sickens 2 W.Va. inmates, investigations underway Updated: May-05-15 10:25 am
BARBOURSVILLE, West Virginia - A state agency spokesman says authorities are investigating the sickening of two inmates at the Western Regional Jail.
- Man receives probation for sending nudes to 12-year-old girl Updated: May-05-15 9:14 am
MACON, Georgia - A Monroe man won't receive jail time for sending nude pictures to an underage girl, but will see probation.
- State: Inmate escapes therapeutic center in Shelby County Updated: May-05-15 8:10 am
COLUMBIANA, Alabama - Authorities are looking for an escaped state inmate near Birmingham.
- Judge refuses to reduce bail for former deputy in van escape Updated: May-05-15 7:58 am
NAPOLEONVILLE, Louisiana - A state judge has refused to reduce the bail of a former Avoyelles Parish sheriff's deputy accused of allowing an Assumption Parish prisoner to leave a jail transport van to buy drugs and the inmate didn't return.
- San Diego man gets 6 months in jail for spreading HIV Updated: May-05-15 4:17 am
SAN DIEGO - A San Diego man has been sentenced to six months in jail for knowingly infecting his male partner with HIV.
- Man gets prison for LA construction site hammer killing Updated: May-04-15 7:55 pm
LOS ANGELES - A man who bludgeoned his friend to death with a sledgehammer at a Los Angeles construction site has been sentenced to 16 years to life in prison.
- New rules stop solitary confinement for juvenile inmates Updated: May-04-15 6:45 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - A federal court agreement severely restricting the use of solitary confinement on juvenile offenders in state lockups will ease the debilitating mental effects of such punishment, an advocacy group at the center of a lawsuit against the state said Monday.
- Inmates attack prison guard at Bertie Correctional Institute Updated: May-04-15 4:28 pm
WINDSOR, North Carolina - Authorities say a guard escorting 10 inmates from their cells at a state prison in Bertie County suffered serious eye and head injuries after he was attacked.
- Protests highlight troubles of Ethiopian Jews in Israel Updated: May-04-15 3:08 pm
JERUSALEM - When Israel secretly airlifted waves of Ethiopian Jews in the 1980s and 1990s, saving them from war and famine in the Horn of Africa, it was celebrated as a triumphant show of unity for the Jewish people.
- Man who escaped detention center turns self in Updated: May-04-15 8:07 am
OPELIKA, Alabama - An Opelika man who left a detention center turned himself in.
- Judge: law requires Florida prisons to serve kosher meals Updated: May-04-15 2:46 am
MIAMI - A federal judge has ruled that the law requires Florida prisons to serve kosher meals to inmates who request them for religious reasons.
- Athens prison brawl leaves at least 2 dead, 21 injured Updated: May-03-15 4:38 pm
ATHENS, Greece - A brawl in an Athens prison wing housing foreigners left at least two inmates dead and 21 others injured on Sunday, many seriously, authorities said.
- 3 inmates escape detention center; 2 caught, 1 still missing Updated: May-03-15 4:34 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Authorities say three inmates escaped Sunday from the Jackson Detention Center and two were later recaptured.
- Central Indiana county seeks to develop work release program Updated: May-03-15 3:37 pm
KOKOMO, Indiana - Officials in a central Indiana county are seeking to develop a community work release program that would keep the jail from becoming overcrowded and could save taxpayers the expense of having to expand or eventually build a new jail.
- Former sheriff headed to prison to donate political money Updated: May-03-15 12:28 pm
MYRTLE BEACH, South Carolina - An attorney for James Metts says the former Lexington County sheriff who's been sentenced to prison plans to give almost $105,000 in unused political contributions to charities.
- Commissioner: Some jails give unauthorized leave to inmates Updated: May-02-15 1:57 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Some Mississippi sheriffs have given unauthorized passes to state inmates to temporarily leave custody for unacceptable reasons, the head of the state prison system says.
- Juvenile arrests in state drop for second straight year Updated: May-02-15 12:05 pm
PIERRE, South Dakota - South Dakota has seen a significant drop in juvenile arrests for the second consecutive year.
- 3 inmates injured in Fresno blast seek $48 million from PG&E Updated: May-01-15 9:52 pm
FRESNO, California - A lawyer in Central California representing three men who were injured in a gas pipeline blast has filed a claim against a utility and Fresno County seeking $48 million in punitive damages.
- Sheriffs question inmate shift from county programs to state Updated: May-01-15 7:59 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Mississippi sheriffs say they are dismayed and puzzled by Corrections Commissioner Marshall Fisher's decision to abolish a program that sends inmates to 30 county jails.