- Wayne County may send inmates to Isabella, Tuscola counties Updated: Jul-30-15 5:32 am
DETROIT - A proposal in Wayne County would send some of its inmates to jails in other Michigan counties.
- Guard wins appeals of verdict in fatal prison fight Updated: Jul-30-15 4:05 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - Damages levied against a Mississippi prison guard cited for recklessness during a 2007 fight in which an inmate died and two others were injured have been reversed by a federal appeals court.
- Report: Maryland prison admissions down 19 percent in decade Updated: Jul-29-15 7:16 pm
ANNAPOLIS, Maryland - Maryland's prison admissions fell 19 percent over the last decade, driven by a 43 percent drop in admissions in Baltimore, according to a data analysis presented to a state panel on Wednesday.
- Police: Prison escapee still cooperating month after capture Updated: Jul-29-15 6:35 pm
RAY BROOK, New York - A prison escapee who eluded an army of searchers in the woods for three weeks is still cooperating with investigators a month after his capture, the state police major who led the manhunt said Wednesday.
- Escaped Blount County inmate recaptured Updated: Jul-29-15 5:49 pm
ONEONTA, Alabama - An inmate who escaped from the Blount County Correctional Facility has been recaptured.
- Suspicious death of inmate at state prison probed Updated: Jul-29-15 5:40 pm
CUMBERLAND, Maryland - Maryland's State Police say they're investigating the apparent slaying of a state prison inmate found lying on his bunk with a bedsheet around his neck at the maximum-security Western Correctional Institution near Cumberland.
- Police: Escapee still cooperating a month after capture Updated: Jul-29-15 3:32 pm
RAY BROOK, New York - The New York state police major who led the manhunt for two killers who broke out of a prison said the surviving escapee is still cooperating with investigators a month after his capture.
- Killer's lawsuit against Nebraska prison system dismissed Updated: Jul-29-15 2:15 pm
OMAHA, Nebraska - A state judge has dismissed a convicted murderer's lawsuit that claimed the Nebraska prison system exacerbated the deterioration of his mental health by keeping him in solitary confinement for extended periods.
- Flathead County offers to buy old Wal-Mart building for jail Updated: Jul-29-15 1:50 pm
KALISPELL, Montana - Flathead County has a tentative agreement to purchase a former Wal-Mart building in Evergreen to house the county jail.
- Police: Boy had gun in Milwaukee County juvenile detention Updated: Jul-29-15 6:10 am
MILWAUKEE - Police say a 16-year-old boy was found with a small semiautomatic pistol while he was being held at a Milwaukee County juvenile detention facility.
- Police: Inmate assaults St. Peters officers in escape effort Updated: Jul-29-15 1:49 am
ST. PETERS, Missouri - Authorities say a corrections officer has been seriously injured after an inmate tried to escape from St. Peters police headquarters.
- Female inmate, 21, escapes from work crew in Las Vegas Updated: Jul-28-15 7:55 pm
LAS VEGAS - State officials say a female inmate is on the loose after escaping from a work crew in the Las Vegas area.
- Lawmakers to hold hearings on juvenile detention conditions Updated: Jul-28-15 6:43 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Connecticut legislative leaders say they want the General Assembly to hold hearings about the conditions and practices at the state's juvenile detention facilities.
- Feds launch investigation of jail's care of deaf inmates Updated: Jul-28-15 5:44 pm
ARLINGTON, Virginia - Court documents show that the Department of Justice has launched an investigation of how the Arlington County jail cares for deaf inmates.
- Weeks after escape, inmates at Iowa prison still on lockdown Updated: Jul-28-15 3:53 pm
IOWA CITY, Iowa - Three weeks after a convicted armed robber managed to escape from a top security cell, inmates at an Iowa prison are still under a lockdown.
- Ex-prison guard accused of forcing inmates to have sex Updated: Jul-28-15 12:47 pm
ATLANTA - A former high-ranking corrections officer at a southeast Georgia women's prison used his position of power to prey on inmates, targeting their vulnerabilities and forcing them to have sex with him, according to investigators.
- Ex-inmate: Python-handling guards used snake to terrify him Updated: Jul-28-15 11:43 am
OZARK, Alabama - A former inmate says sheriff's deputies used a python to intimidate and harass prisoners in an Alabama county jail.
- 2 missing New Hampshire inmates found, 1 of them in Canada Updated: Jul-28-15 11:17 am
MANCHESTER, New Hampshire - New Hampshire authorities say they have found two inmates - one of them in Canada - who left a transitional living facility in Manchester last week.
- Austin doctor gets 10 years in prison for Medicare fraud Updated: Jul-28-15 8:41 am
HOUSTON - An Austin physician has been sentenced to 10 years in federal prison and must repay $1.2 million for Medicare fraud.
- Woman shoots self in head after demanding inmates' release Updated: Jul-28-15 7:04 am
SEWARD, Alaska - A woman has been hospitalized after she shot herself in the head outside a Seward maximum-security prison after she demanded inmates be released.
- Suspect arrested after escaping from NYC police precinct Updated: Jul-28-15 6:04 am
NEW YORK - Police say a drug suspect who escaped from a New York City police station last week has been recaptured.
- Rio de Janeiro prisons seek to protect transgender inmates Updated: Jul-28-15 1:59 am
RIO DE JANEIRO - When Estefanie Ferraz went to prison, she had been living as a woman for around a decade, had undergone more than half a dozen plastic surgeries including breast and cheek implants to enhance her feminine looks, and was saving up for a sex change operation.
- Snohomish County pays $620,000 over inmate's death Updated: Jul-27-15 8:30 pm
EVERETT, Washington - Snohomish County has agreed to pay $620,000 over the death of a severely allergic jail inmate who died after being served oatmeal that contained dairy.
- Federal prisons agree to recognize humanism as religion Updated: Jul-27-15 8:29 pm
PORTLAND, Oregon - Federal prisoners who identify as humanist can now celebrate Darwin Day and get accommodations typically afforded to those inmates who believe in a deity.
- Escaped prisoner from Elmore recaptured Updated: Jul-27-15 4:49 pm
ELMORE, Alabama - Alabama prison officials say they've captured an inmate who escaped from the Draper Correctional Facility in Elmore.