- Iowa officials: Escaped prisoner found under porch Updated: Apr-18-14 6:55 pm
- Court: NYC must support ill inmates leaving jail Updated: Apr-18-14 6:53 pm
- Oklahoma Court denies request to stop executions Updated: Apr-18-14 5:55 pm
- Illinois prisons to use costly hepatitis C drug Updated: Apr-18-14 3:55 pm
- Study: Half of jailed NYC youths have brain injury Updated: Apr-18-14 3:17 pm
- Ohio prison food vendor fined $142,000 Updated: Apr-18-14 1:13 pm
- Corrections officer accused of sexual assault Updated: Apr-18-14 6:56 am
- Michigan prisoner who escaped scheduled for court Updated: Apr-18-14 5:59 am
- Taliban inmates break out of Afghan prison Updated: Apr-18-14 4:13 am
- Bessemer jail inmate found dead inside cell Updated: Apr-17-14 6:05 pm
- New SD policies adjust parolee's time, management Updated: Apr-17-14 5:46 pm
- Funding pact reached in Orleans jail reform battle Updated: Apr-17-14 3:28 pm
- Excerpts from recent North Dakota editorials Updated: Apr-17-14 12:49 pm
- Corrections to pay $50,000 in sex harassment suit Updated: Apr-16-14 8:37 pm
- Inmates rock Peru prison with 'Superstar Updated: Apr-16-14 4:04 pm
- New Mexico prisons to end overnight family visits Updated: Apr-16-14 3:08 pm
- Families seek answers in Alaska jail deaths Updated: Apr-16-14 1:19 pm
- Ex-Iowa doctor gets jail for violating probation Updated: Apr-16-14 8:44 am
- W.Va. regional jails ban touching during visits Updated: Apr-16-14 6:46 am
- Obama seeks inmates worthy of commutation power Updated: Apr-16-14 3:10 am
- Oregon inmates help restore courthouse clock Updated: Apr-15-14 5:15 pm
- State probes complaint alleging misuse of inmates Updated: Apr-15-14 4:59 pm
- Greek court jails 2 for life for migrant's murder Updated: Apr-15-14 3:22 pm
- 5 face charges of helping escaped Bozeman inmate Updated: Apr-15-14 9:43 am
- Man charged with killing prisoner Updated: Apr-15-14 8:16 am
PROLE, Iowa - Authorities say an escaped prisoner captured in central Iowa was found under a house porch.
NEW YORK - A judge on Friday upheld - and extended through 2016 - a settlement between New York City and lawyers for mentally ill inmates that required prisoners who received mental health treatment in city jails to have individualized discharge plans upon release.
OKLAHOMA CITY - The Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals denied a stay on Friday for two death row inmates set to be executed this month, saying it didn't have jurisdiction - even though the state Supreme Court says it's the only court that does.
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Illinois prison officials will be using an effective, but costly, new drug to treat inmates with hepatitis C, therapy that could cost tens of millions of dollars.
NEW YORK - About half of all 16- to 18-year-olds coming into New York City's jails say they had a traumatic brain injury before being incarcerated, most caused by assaults, according to a new study that's the latest in a growing body of research documenting head trauma among young offenders.
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The private food vendor that holds the contract for feeding Ohio's 50,000 prisoners has repeatedly failed to meet the staffing levels it promised, the state announced Friday as it hit the company with $142,100 in fines.
GRAND RAPIDS, Minnesota - An officer at a juvenile correctional facility in northern Minnesota is charged with sexually assaulting a teenage resident.
IONIA, Michigan - A man who escaped from a Michigan prison in February is due in court next week to face escape, carjacking and kidnapping charges.
KABUL, Afghanistan - An official says three Taliban insurgents escaped from a prison in northern Afghanistan using weapons smuggled into the facility in a jailbreak that killed three police guards.
BESSEMER, Alabama - Bessemer police say an inmate accused of stabbing another man and kidnapping his wife has been found dead in the Bessemer City Jail.
PIERRE, South Dakota - After tours of South Dakota correctional facilities, including juvenile homes and the penitentiary in Sioux Falls, an oversight committee heard updates Thursday on sweeping changes taking root in the state's criminal justice system.
NEW ORLEANS - Lawyers for the city of New Orleans and the local sheriff have reached agreement, for now, on how to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to reform the city's violent jail.
Minot Daily News, Minot, April 16, 2014
SACRAMENTO, California - The state Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation has agreed to pay $50,000 to settle a sexual harassment complaint filed on behalf of a cook at a youth facility.
LIMA, Peru - Inmates have rocked a Peruvian prison with a Holy Week performance of the musical "Jesus Christ Superstar."
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - Joining a growing trend nationally, New Mexico Department of Corrections announced Wednesday it is ending its 30-year-old policy of allowing inmates overnight visits with lovers and family.
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - The families of two inmates who died in Alaska jails within a week of each other are looking for answers to questions they say are not being answered.
HAMPTON, Iowa - A former Iowa doctor convicted of sexual exploitation has been given jail time for violating his probation.
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - Concerns about drug contraband have prompted a ban on regional jail inmates touching loved ones during supervised contact visits.
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama is looking for convicts worthy of his rarely used power to commute sentences.
PENDLETON, Oregon - While crews are nearly finished restoring the historic Morrow County Courthouse clock tower in Heppner, prison inmates in Pendleton put their expertise to the test by returning the actual clock to its original condition.
GULFPORT, Mississippi - The Mississippi Department of Corrections is investigating a complaint alleging the misuse of state inmate workers who reportedly set up a tent for a wedding at the Great Southern Golf Course.
ATHENS, Greece - An Athens court has convicted two Greek men to life imprisonment for stabbing a Pakistani immigrant worker to death last year, during a spike in racist attacks in the recession-ravaged country.
BOZEMAN, Montana - Five people have been charged with allegedly helping a man escape from Bozeman police after he was arrested on suspicion of attempted rape.
LAKE CHARLES, Louisiana - A man alleged to have killed another man in jail has pleaded not guilty in state district court.