- Ohio inmates mount tribute to military veterans Updated: Mar-09-14 4:22 pm
- New Mexico inmate stabbed in gang attack Updated: Mar-09-14 2:40 pm
- NYC guard-inmate sex scandal triggers jail review Updated: Mar-09-14 12:37 pm
- Critics: Sheriff needs at least $10M more a year Updated: Mar-08-14 8:41 pm
- AP Exclusive: Counties undermine prison efforts Updated: Mar-08-14 4:37 pm
- Crime bill tries to slow Alaska incarceration rate Updated: Mar-08-14 1:08 pm
- Troopers search for escaped inmate in western Ky. Updated: Mar-08-14 11:23 am
- Jury recommends inmate who killed FSU student Updated: Mar-08-14 3:05 am
- 4 NYC jail officers indicted in inmate beating Updated: Mar-07-14 8:28 pm
- Judge moves Oklahoma inmates' suit to state court Updated: Mar-07-14 7:30 pm
- APNewsBreak: FBI investigates prison company Updated: Mar-07-14 6:25 pm
- Idaho bill would let inmates do farm work Updated: Mar-07-14 4:40 pm
- Cyberbully law proposed after girl's suicide Updated: Mar-07-14 3:43 pm
- Oklahoma bars media cameras, recorders in prisons Updated: Mar-07-14 3:10 pm
- Maine officials: Prisons safe despite killing Updated: Mar-07-14 2:38 pm
- Drug court participants could face prison time Updated: Mar-07-14 2:31 pm
- Michigan requiring more mental health services Updated: Mar-07-14 8:13 am
- Michigan: Failure to reset alarms key to escape Updated: Mar-06-14 9:23 pm
- Inmate pleads guilty to murder, avoids execution Updated: Mar-06-14 9:10 pm
- Last of 4 inmates recaptured after Tuesday escape Updated: Mar-06-14 8:55 pm
- Ala. governor hiring national firm to help prison Updated: Mar-06-14 8:49 pm
- Sheriff seeks to charge Hernandez in jail fight Updated: Mar-06-14 8:07 pm
- Judge keeps juvenile corrections lawsuit alive Updated: Mar-06-14 7:49 pm
- Bill to compensate exonerated inmates dies Updated: Mar-06-14 6:46 pm
- APNewsBreak: Many NYC inmates report 'head shots' Updated: Mar-06-14 5:19 pm
LUCASVILLE, Ohio - Inmates and staff have put up murals and military paraphernalia at a southern Ohio prison to create what they call a "Veterans Corridor" in tribute to people who served in the U.S. military.
LAS CRUCES, New Mexico - New Mexico prison officials say an inmate was stabbed to death in a gang-related attack.
NEW YORK - Jail guard Nancy Gonzalez gained notoriety by conceiving a baby behind bars with a cop killer. But her story of sexual misconduct at a federal lockup in Brooklyn doesn't end there.
NEW ORLEANS - Orleans Parish Prison is still dangerously understaffed and the sheriff's office needs at least $10 million more to meet requirements of a court settlement, inmates and the U.S. Justice Department say in court papers.
SACRAMENTO, California - California counties are confounding the state's court-ordered efforts to sharply reduce its inmate population by sending state prisons far more convicts than anticipated, including a record number of people with second felony convictions.
JUNEAU, Alaska - Prisons.
PADUCAH, Kentucky - State troopers in western Kentucky are searching for an inmate who escaped from a prison.
ST. AUGUSTINE, Florida - Northeast Florida jurors have recommended death for an escaped Louisiana inmate convicted of killing a Florida State graduate student.
NEW YORK - Four correction officers were arraigned Friday on charges they beat a jail inmate last year and then faked incident reports to cover up the assault, authorities said.
OKLAHOMA CITY - A federal judge ruled Friday that a lawsuit filed by two Oklahoma death row inmates seeking information on the drugs that will be used in their executions scheduled for later this month should be heard in state court.
BOISE, Idaho - The FBI has launched an investigation of the Corrections Corporation of America over the company's running of an Idaho prison with a reputation so violent that inmates dubbed it "Gladiator School."
BOISE, Idaho - A bill that would allow Idaho farmers to use prison-inmate labor when there is a farmworker shortage is before the Idaho state Senate.
SARATOGA, California - Juveniles who sexually assault unconscious victims could be tried as adults under proposed California legislation brought in response to the suicide of a 15-year-old girl who was sexually battered while passed out at a party then humiliated by photos circulated to classmates.
TULSA, Oklahoma - Oklahoma's Department of Corrections has temporarily banned news media from bringing cameras or any other recording equipment inside its prisons.
PORTLAND, Maine - A Maine official says prisons are safer than they were three years ago despite last week's slaying of an inmate at the Maine State Prison.
JEFFERSONVILLE, Indiana - The state Supreme Court's suspension of a troubled southern Indiana drug court has left more than 70 participants in its treatment program facing the possibility of having to serve out the rest of their original sentences in prison.
LANSING, Michigan - Legislation has been signed into law to offer more treatment options in Michigan for people with mental illness, including those who are jailed or at risk of being imprisoned.
LANSING, Michigan - A convicted quadruple killer escaped from a Michigan prison for 24 hours last month primarily because guards didn't properly operate the motion-detector alarms at a gate the inmate pried open with scissors and a belt buckle, investigators concluded Thursday.
CASTLE ROCK, Colorado - An inmate pleaded guilty Thursday to first-degree murder in the beating death of a Colorado prison guard after prosecutors dropped their plan to seek the death penalty.
LA JUNTA, Colorado - The last of four inmates who escaped from the Otero County jail was recaptured Thursday in a home in La Junta.
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Gov. Robert Bentley said the state is bringing in a nationally recognized consulting group to implement reforms at a state prison thrust into the national spotlight over accusations of widespread sexual harassment and abuse.
DARTMOUTH, Massachusetts - A Massachusetts sheriff is seeking a criminal complaint against former NFL star Aaron Hernandez after a recent jail scuffle with another inmate.
BOISE, Idaho - A federal judge says a whistleblower lawsuit against the Idaho Department of Juvenile Corrections can move forward in court, but some of the claims must be dismissed.
CHEYENNE, Wyoming - A bill spelling out how Wyoming could compensate people who served time in prison before being exonerated by DNA evidence died Thursday in the closing hours of the Legislature.
NEW YORK - Nearly a third of Rikers Island inmates who said their visible injuries came at the hands of a correction officer last year had suffered a blow to the head, a tactic that is supposed to be a guard's last resort because it is potentially fatal, according to an internal report obtained by The Associated Press.