- New York governor: Give Medicaid to inmates before release Updated: Apr-29-16 12:37 pm
ALBANY, New York - New York's governor is seeking federal approval to extend Medicaid coverage to inmates who face serious health challenges immediately before they're released from prison.
- 12 sex offenders arrested in Lincoln County compliance check Updated: Apr-29-16 12:22 pm
NORTH PLATTE, Nebraska - Local and state officers and the U.S. Marshals Services have arrested 12 convicted sex offenders while conducting a compliance operation in western Nebraska's Lincoln County.
- House approves prison construction after lengthy debate Updated: Apr-29-16 12:34 am
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - The House of Representatives on Thursday approved Gov. Robert Bentley's $800 million prison construction proposal, but with a major condition.
- 2 inmates who walked away from work crews apprehended Updated: Apr-28-16 10:25 pm
SALEM, Oregon - Authorities have apprehended two inmates who walked away from work crews Tuesday.
- Man who escaped JeffCo jail gets 72 years in prison Updated: Apr-28-16 8:33 pm
DENVER - A man who escaped from the Jefferson County jail in 2014 and committed numerous crimes during the 10 days he was on the loose has been sentenced to 72 years in prison.
- Postcard-only rule for inmate mail spurs lawsuit in Kansas Updated: Apr-28-16 3:30 pm
WICHITA, Kansas - A Kansas sheriff's jail policy allowing inmates to receive and send only postcards through the mail violates the free speech and due process rights of prisoners and their families, civil rights advocates said in a lawsuit filed Thursday.
- Court: NYC jail guard's conviction in inmate's death is fair Updated: Apr-28-16 2:21 pm
NEW YORK - A former Rikers Island jail guard who ignored pleas for help by a dying inmate in 2012 because he didn't believe the prisoner needed assistance received a fair trial, an appeals court said Thursday.
- Jailhouse rocked: 2 inmates hurt, 8 charged in jail fight Updated: Apr-28-16 12:11 pm
PICKENS, South Carolina - Pickens County Sheriff Rick Clark says that overcrowding played a role in a jailhouse fight that left two inmates injured and eight facing charges.
- Inmate who escaped from East Texas jail captured Updated: Apr-28-16 11:38 am
CANTON, Texas - Authorities say a man who escaped from an East Texas jail has been captured.
- Lawyer accused of bringing drugs, having sex with inmates Updated: Apr-27-16 10:52 pm
TACOMA, Washington - A Tacoma lawyer has been accused of having sex with an inmate and bringing drugs for others while visiting Pierce County Jail.
- Ohio prison food costs down, complaints up, report says Updated: Apr-27-16 7:38 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The state is saving more than $10 million a year by using a private company to feed inmates, but food complaints have increased sharply, according to a report by an Ohio prison watchdog group.
- US Attorney visits prison to mark National Reentry Week Updated: Apr-27-16 6:25 pm
POLLOCK, Louisiana - U.S. Attorney Kenneth Polite visited a federal prison in central Louisiana on Wednesday to highlight the Justice Department's efforts to assist inmates on the verge of completing their sentences and re-entering society.
- House OKs bill to treat 17-year-olds as juvenile offenders Updated: Apr-27-16 4:44 pm
LANSING, Michigan - Bills advancing in Michigan's Legislature would stop automatically treating 17-year-old criminal offenders as adults and instead put them in the juvenile justice system.
- Music written by inmates to be performed at White House Updated: Apr-27-16 1:07 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Music created by inmates at one of South Carolina's most dangerous prisons was making its way to the White House on Wednesday, thanks to a group of musicians affiliated with Carnegie Hall.
- Inmate escapes from North Carolina minimum security prison Updated: Apr-27-16 12:38 pm
POLKTON, North Carolina - North Carolina prison officials say an inmate has escaped from a prison in Anson County.
- Song written by SC inmates being performed at White House Updated: Apr-27-16 11:41 am
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - A group of musicians affiliated with Carnegie Hall are taking music created by inmates at one of South Carolina's most dangerous prisons to the White House.
- Bangladesh jails 2 Hindu teachers for insulting Islam Updated: Apr-27-16 2:34 am
DHAKA, Bangladesh - A court has jailed two teachers in southern Bangladesh for making derogatory comments about Islam and the Prophet Muhammad, invoking a rare law from the British colonial era that makes insulting any religion a crime.
- Detention Center teaches female inmates to quilt Updated: Apr-27-16 2:06 am
CHEYENNE, Wyoming - Jails are not known for their lavish accommodations, and the room where the women of G Pod do their work is no exception.
- Ex-UM football player to be paroled after completing program Updated: Apr-27-16 1:47 am
MISSOULA, Montana - A former University of Montana football player who pleaded guilty to rape in 2010 will be granted parole after he completes a pre-release program in Billings.
- Ohio sheriff wants to give jailed users anti-overdose drug Updated: Apr-27-16 12:31 am
TOLEDO, Ohio - A northwest Ohio sheriff hoping to save more heroin users has floated the idea of giving opioid addicts an anti-overdose drug when they leave jail and train them how to use it.
- Man sentenced to prison in slaying of US official in Niger Updated: Apr-27-16 12:28 am
NEW YORK - A Malian national who escaped from prison twice after being charged with killing a U.S. Defense Department official and wounding a U.S. Marine during a 2000 carjacking in Niger was sentenced on Tuesday to 25 years in prison.
- Estonian gets prison in cyberscam that infected 4M computers Updated: Apr-26-16 6:13 pm
NEW YORK - An Estonian businessman has been sentenced in New York to over seven years in prison for his role in a cyberscam that infected 4 million computers in over 100 countries.
- Woman charged with kidnapping toddler to be moved to prison Updated: Apr-26-16 5:20 pm
SALEM, Massachusetts - A Massachusetts baby sitter accused of kidnapping and assaulting a toddler she cared for will be moved from a mental health hospital to a state prison to await trial.
- Mother charged with aiding in southeast Kansas jail escape Updated: Apr-26-16 2:25 pm
GIRARD, Kansas - A mother is charged with aiding her son and another man in a southeast Kansas jail escape.
- Juvenile prisons looking for 45 new officers after riot Updated: Apr-26-16 2:07 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - South Carolina's main juvenile prison has seen a sharp rise in violence and gang activity, and the leader of the agency said Tuesday she is trying to hire 45 new guards to help.