- Comcast buying DreamWorks Animation for about $3.55B Updated: Apr-28-16 3:44 pm
NEW YORK - Comcast is buying DreamWorks Animation, the film company behind the "Shrek," ''Madagascar" and "Kung Fu Panda" franchises, for approximately $3.55 billion, strengthening its presence in the important and growing business of children's entertainment.
- 'Angry Birds' maker wants phones out as film credits roll Updated: Apr-28-16 1:41 am
LOS ANGELES - The creators of "Angry Birds" hope movie theater audiences don't get their feathers ruffled if some filmgoers pluck out their mobile devices at the end of "The Angry Birds Movie" and point them at the screen.
- Movie 'Doctor Strange' turns Tibetan man into European woman Updated: Apr-27-16 10:16 pm
BEIJING - A Tibetan male character from the "Doctor Strange" comic books presented such a potential political minefield to Marvel that in the film version they cast a Caucasian woman in the role, reflecting the pressures Hollywood movie makers perceive when trying to appeal to the Chinese market.
- Underdogs in summer movies include originality, opportunity Updated: Apr-27-16 1:56 pm
NEW YORK - Hollywood's summer, which kicks off with the fittingly combative "Captain America: Civil War," will be a season of struggle: for box office, for originality and for opportunity.
- 'Ratchet,' 'Warcraft' and the new breed of video game movies Updated: Apr-25-16 11:49 pm
LOS ANGELES - At long last, it seems Hollywood has pushed the reset button on its approach to video game adaptations.
- Without a referendum, Vermont may lag in push to OK pot Updated: Apr-24-16 9:46 am
MONTPELIER, Vermont - The cartoon joint, bruised and battered to represent a bill to legalize marijuana in Vermont, laments that "they're gutting me in the House." A smoother, happier joint, representing Massachusetts, replies, "Dude, I'm serious! You gotta try a hit of this citizen's initiative stuff!"
- Dubai to open Marvel, Cartoon Network-branded theme park Updated: Apr-24-16 9:25 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Dubai will soon have a one-stop destination for families whose tastes run from Spider-Man to velociraptors to the Powerpuff Girls.
- At Tribeca, virtual reality takes early steps toward art Updated: Apr-23-16 8:19 am
NEW YORK - Walking through most doors at the Tribeca Film Festival means taking a seat in a theater full of chattering moviegoers. But there are also darkened, cloth-wrapped chambers - like old carnival booths promising never-before-seen wonders - that offer nothing but a headset, headphones and perhaps some advice, like: "Watch for the dragon."
- Documentary turns Disney-loving autistic man into a star Updated: Apr-21-16 2:44 pm
NEW YORK - Owen Suskind had largely retreated into silence in the years after his autism began to manifest, around age 3. Three painfully mute years later, and after countless rapt hours spent watching Disney animated movies, a word broke through.
- Pawn shop owner gets 20 years in comic collector's death Updated: Apr-20-16 6:20 pm
BUFFALO, New York - A pawn shop owner who enlisted drug addicts to shoplift things he could sell was sentenced Wednesday to 20 years in prison for arranging the theft of a comic book collection from an elderly man who died of a heart attack after burglars broke into his home, hit him and tied him up.
- Elizabeth Warren, comic book hero? Senator is latest to star Updated: Apr-18-16 1:10 am
BOSTON - Her parents didn't hail from the planet Krypton, and she was never bitten by a radioactive spider, but that hasn't stopped Elizabeth Warren from starring as a comic book hero.
- Garfield creator Jim Davis to teach at Ball State Updated: Apr-16-16 11:42 am
MUNCIE, Indiana - The creator of the world's best-known lazy cat is about to take on a new job at his alma mater.
- Stage version of 'Anastasia' slated for Broadway next season Updated: Apr-15-16 5:00 pm
NEW YORK - Another princess is heading to Broadway. This time she's Russian.
- Ta-Nehisi Coates pivots from politics to comic books Updated: Apr-13-16 10:34 am
WASHINGTON - One of America's most popular writers on race is now concentrating on the life of the superhero king of a mythical African country.
- Russian cartoon bear takes the world by storm Updated: Apr-12-16 6:37 am
MOSCOW - A proverbial Russian bear has long alarmed Westerners as the symbol of Moscow's might and purported ferocity. But the Russian who has taken the world by storm is a sweet goof who hasn't fired a single shot.
- Lawsuit: High school gave 'Dora' actress a pass over vaping Updated: Apr-11-16 7:53 pm
NEW YORK - The teenage actress who voices Nickelodeon's spunky "Dora the Explorer" character was given special treatment after she was caught vaping in a private high school bathroom, according to a lawsuit filed Monday by another student's parents.
- India censors: 'Jungle Book' too scary for kids to see alone Updated: Apr-07-16 7:57 am
NEW DELHI - India's censor board is requiring parents to accompany children under 12 at screenings of Disney's "The Jungle Book" because the special effects made its animals too scary.
- Man pleads guilty to posing as agent for Comic Con VIP pass Updated: Apr-05-16 6:30 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - A Utah man facing criminal charges for posing as a federal agent to get into a $10,000-a-head VIP room at Comic Con in Salt Lake City agreed to a plea deal with prosecutors Tuesday.
- University of Iowa class studies iconic female hero Updated: Apr-03-16 11:01 am
IOWA CITY, Iowa - Before her Wonder Woman class begins, University of Iowa professor Anna Barker throws her red, white, blue and gold Wonder Woman scarf around her neck.
- Al-Arabiya shuts down Lebanon operation amid tensions Updated: Apr-01-16 1:30 pm
BEIRUT - Beirut-based employees of the Saudi-owned Al-Arabiya channel said the station has decided to shut down its Lebanon operation amid tensions between Riyadh and Beirut.