- Google unveils Android's latest technological tricks Updated: May-28-15 11:05 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Google's next version of its Android operating system will boast new ways to fetch information, pay merchants and protect privacy on mobile devices as the Internet company duels with Apple in the quest to make their technology indispensable.
- Apple buys a maker of futuristic augmented-reality software Updated: May-28-15 6:20 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Apple has bought a company that makes augmented-reality software, which adds information or images to real-world scenes when viewed through a special headset or even a smartphone camera.
- After security scandal, a tech firm says it's changing focus Updated: May-28-15 5:29 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - A Silicon Valley startup says it's shutting down operations and shifting to a new business model after it was blamed earlier this year for turning unwitting computer users into targets for annoying web ads - and hackers.
- Natchez debuts new app for phone Updated: May-28-15 8:11 am
NATCHEZ, Mississippi - The city of Natchez has debuted its new mobile phone app - putting a plethora of city information just a click, or swipe, away.
- DNR, university researchers working on fishing app Updated: May-28-15 7:49 am
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources is working with University of Minnesota researchers to come up with a smartphone application for anglers.
- Software glitch can cause iPhones to crash Updated: May-27-15 5:53 pm
A newly-discovered glitch in Apple's software can cause iPhones to mysteriously shut down when they receive a certain text message.
- App developer hopes to attract young people to the outdoors Updated: May-26-15 1:13 am
PORTLAND, Maine - A Maine company is hoping to attract younger audiences to national parks by creating free mobile apps.
- Slice of Silicon Valley: Strictly Business Computer Systems Updated: May-25-15 9:59 am
HUNTINGTON, West Virginia - It was a Wednesday at 1 p.m., and there was tension in the offices at Strictly Business Computer Systems in Huntington.
- University begins project to help blind students with math Updated: May-24-15 9:31 am
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Until he was 13, Logan Prickett did everything a normal child did.
- Software developer convicted in bribery scheme resentenced Updated: May-20-15 8:03 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - A software developer convicted of bribing Alabama's two-year college system chancellor has been resentenced to prison after initially being sentenced to probation.
- National Spelling Bee launches fantasy-style mobile app Updated: May-20-15 4:54 pm
WASHINGTON - Fans of the Scripps National Spelling Bee will have a new way to follow the tongue-twisting action this year.
- Massachusetts attorney general probes software company Updated: May-18-15 4:29 am
BOSTON - State Attorney General Maura Healey is investigating the performance of CGI, the Canadian software developer that built the failed website for the Massachusetts Health Connector.
- Internet group opposes regulation on taxi smartphone apps Updated: May-14-15 10:24 am
NEW YORK - Some of the nation's leading Internet companies are lobbying against a proposed change to New York City taxi policy.
- Peoria launching mobile parking app Updated: May-14-15 5:43 am
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Peoria is launching a mobile payment program for downtown, city-operated parking.
- Programming language helps youths create from Scratch Updated: May-12-15 9:10 am
VALPARAISO, Indiana - Ben Franklin seventh-grader Logan Ozdyk has wanted to be a computer programmer since he was in third grade.
- In Tech: Mobile app, mobile phone, online TV Updated: May-08-15 4:11 am
NEW YORK - The iconic designer behind the simulation video games "Sim City" and "The Sims" wants people to tell stories visually on their mobile phones.
- Googling on mobile devices surpasses PCs in US for 1st time Updated: May-05-15 1:13 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Google's influential search engine has hit a tipping point in technology's shift to smartphones. More search requests are now being made on mobile devices than on personal computers in the U.S. and many other parts of the world.
- Google embeds engineers as professors Updated: May-03-15 1:28 pm
MOUNTAIN VIEW, California - Howard University freshman Alanna Walton knew something was different about the professor teaching her introduction to computer science course.
- Tech nonprofit 'Girl Develop It' moves to South Jersey Updated: May-03-15 10:36 am
CAMDEN, New Jersey - "Why should Philly have all the fun?"
- New site, app, links celebrities, charities and donors Updated: May-01-15 5:37 pm
LOS ANGELES - Chatting on the red carpet with Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence; recording a country song with Clint Black; working a relief mission with Patricia Arquette; receiving a serenade from Michael Bolton on a Caribbean island. These are just some of the WOW! moments possible for everyday donors through a new online charity service that combines star power with digital marketing savvy to contribute millions to celebrity causes worldwide.
- Police chief at busiest US port indicted in alleged app scam Updated: May-01-15 1:41 pm
LOS ANGELES - A federal grand jury indicted the veteran police chief for the Port of Los Angeles in an alleged kickback and bribery scheme involving the development of a smartphone app that was supposed to help reduce crime at the nation's busiest seaport.
- Smartphone app aims to preserve videos of police encounters Updated: Apr-30-15 5:49 pm
LOS ANGELES - A new smartphone app allows Californians who record encounters with police to automatically submit the video to their local chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union.