- Smartphones overtake desktops for holiday shopping Updated: Nov-25-15 9:49 am
NEW YORK - If the beginning of the holiday season is any indication, it could be a merry mobile Christmas for shoppers.
- Why government and tech can't agree about encryption Updated: Nov-24-15 7:29 pm
NEW YORK - Your phone is getting better and better at protecting your privacy. But Uncle Sam isn't totally comfortable with that, because it's also complicating the work of tracking criminals and potential national-security threats.
- TV Buying Guide: Get out tape measure before shopping Updated: Nov-23-15 12:01 pm
LOS ANGELES - If you're shopping for a TV, get out a tape measure and do some quick calculations before you head to the store. And count the number of gadgets you'll want to connect to your screen.
- Review: Samsung's Gear VR shows the promise of VR - today Updated: Nov-20-15 12:26 pm
NEW YORK - Samsung makes history of a sort Friday by launching the first major consumer-oriented virtual-reality headset. (It comes with an asterisk; prototypes and other not-quite-mass-market versions have been available for a while.) And its Gear VR headset is pretty impressive as first-generation devices go.
- From fake guitars to collectible toys, gifts for any gamer Updated: Nov-20-15 10:54 am
Video-game players aren't that difficult to shop for. Let's face it: It's an expensive hobby, and most gamers have something on their list that they've set aside in the hopes that Santa might deliver.
- Cops: Mom reports son, found nude pics on school-issued iPad Updated: Nov-20-15 7:50 am
MYERSTOWN, Pennsylvania - State police say a central Pennsylvania woman contacted authorities after finding nude pictures of a girl on her teenage son's school-issued iPad.
- Police hold 30 of Columbia schools' iPads as evidence Updated: Nov-19-15 5:28 pm
COLUMBIA, Missouri - Authorities say 30 iPads owned by Columbia Public Schools are being held as evidence by law enforcement in various investigations.
- Gift Guide: Kiddie tech beyond video games, tablets Updated: Nov-19-15 10:44 am
NEW YORK - What to get a tech-savvy kid who's tired of the same old tablets and video games? New toys this year range from easy-to-use sets for building circuits to a talking dinosaur powered by IBM's Watson artificial-intelligence system.
- EXCHANGE: New iPad to serve voiceless Mendon child Updated: Nov-19-15 6:22 am
MENDON, Illinois - Nolan Mealiff is an energetic 3-year-old boy with lots to say.
- All Belleville students to get Google Chromebooks Updated: Nov-19-15 4:02 am
BELLEVILLE, Illinois - The Belleville School Board has approved purchasing Google Chromebooks for second-graders and younger.
- Deputies using iPads to help translate conversations Updated: Nov-08-15 9:48 am
VIRGINIA BEACH, Virginia - When a Chinese woman was brought to the Virginia Beach jail on prostitution charges this summer, she was so distraught that deputies thought she might need to be on suicide watch.
- Angler catches digital camera lost in Lake Michigan in 2013 Updated: Nov-06-15 3:11 pm
GRAND HAVEN, Michigan - Andre Monterio has a fishing story about one that got away and eventually was caught.
- Review: 3 Android phones that offer something different Updated: Nov-06-15 2:20 pm
NEW YORK - New Android phones appear with regularity, but far too few of them really seem ... new.
- Yuma bans using cellphones, electronics while driving Updated: Nov-05-15 11:03 am
YUMA, Arizona - The Yuma City Council has approved a ban on using cellphones or other electronic devices while driving.
- Appeals court upholds teacher's suspension for laptop misuse Updated: Nov-04-15 4:53 pm
BOUND BROOK, New Jersey - An appellate court has upheld the suspension imposed on a high school math teacher who used a school laptop to send nude photos of himself online and share offensive emails.
- Regulatory ruling could extend service fee to cellphones Updated: Nov-03-15 6:59 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - A regulatory agency could effectively decide whether cellphone customers in South Carolina will start paying a fee created for rural phone service.
- Southern Indiana cemetery offering tours via GPS technology Updated: Nov-03-15 5:03 am
BEDFORD, Indiana - Gene Abel has been working in Bedford's Green Hill Cemetery for several years. His involvement started in response to vandalism in the cemetery at one time, but has continued from that point to the present. He had involved various other people in parts of the project. The most recent being Dale Platteter.
- Sony returns to profit after marathon restructuring effort Updated: Oct-29-15 7:40 am
TOKYO - Sony Corp. returned to profit last quarter in a sign its marathon restructuring effort is beginning to produce results.
- Review: Apple TV brings iPhone-like apps to the big screen Updated: Oct-28-15 9:44 pm
NEW YORK - It turns out that Apple's streaming-TV box - aptly named Apple TV - isn't just for streaming anymore. Its latest incarnation, which ships this week, offers on the big screen just about anything you could previously only do on an iPhone or iPad.
- Where safety and strategy meet, culture of football changes Updated: Oct-28-15 3:43 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Ohio State Buckeyes are trickling into the Woody Hayes Athletic Center a few hours before practice, but a couple of dozen players need to check in with a member of the sports performance team before they get suited up.