- Oklahoma City chamber urging governor to veto gun bill Updated: May-06-15 6:19 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - Officials in Oklahoma City are concerned a firearms bill headed to the governor's desk could threaten dozens of events held annually in the city, including horse shows, basketball tournaments and the Women's College World Series.
- Proposed legislation would expand concealed weapons in Ohio Updated: May-06-15 6:13 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A series of proposed gun laws would expand concealed weapons in Ohio by potentially allowing them in places like churches or day cares and letting certain gun owners carry concealed weapons without a permit.
- NC pistol permit repeal proposal worries gun-control group Updated: May-05-15 6:04 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - A group of mothers and other advocates says a General Assembly proposal seeking to ease gun regulations in North Carolina raises risks for more gun violence because criminal background checks would be required for fewer handgun sales.
- Bill would lift restriction on enacting assault weapons bans Updated: May-05-15 4:39 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - A lawmaker wants to undo a portion of Illinois' concealed carry law that prevents cities from banning assault weapons.
- Vermont governor signs 'common sense' gun-restrictions law Updated: May-01-15 4:54 pm
MONTPELIER, Vermont - Gov. Peter Shumlin on Friday signed into law a bill that places new restrictions on gun ownership in Vermont.
- Arizona lawmakers tell cities they can't ban plastic bags Updated: Apr-30-15 7:43 pm
PHOENIX - Vexed by the litter caught in cactus and shrubs, one Arizona city banned plastic bags on Earth Day last year. Two others considered similar bans as part of a growing trend around the country to outlaw the single-use of plastic bags at checkout counters.
- Colorado Editorial Roundup Updated: Apr-29-15 6:47 pm
The Denver Post, April 27, on the bar for school lawsuits:
- Judge rules NRA lawsuit against Philly can go on for now Updated: Apr-29-15 6:43 pm
PHILADELPHIA - A Philadelphia judge has refused to dismiss the National Rifle Association's lawsuit challenging the city's gun regulations.
- House passes concealed carry bill; Hassan plans to veto Updated: Apr-29-15 6:20 pm
CONCORD, New Hampshire - The Republican-led House passed legislation Wednesday that would make it easier for people to carry hidden guns in New Hampshire, but Democratic Gov. Maggie Hassan plans to veto it.
- Michigan lawmakers move to loosen air gun restrictions Updated: Apr-29-15 5:27 pm
LANSING, Michigan - Michigan lawmakers have sent Gov. Rick Snyder legislation that would loosen restrictions on air and BB guns.
- NC long-standing hunting ban with guns pulled back by House Updated: Apr-28-15 11:40 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The state House agreed Tuesday night to pull back on North Carolina's long-standing ban on hunting with guns on Sundays, replacing it with legislation containing exceptions but giving counties the ability to ban it again locally in a couple of years.
- Inslee signs family notification law for police gun returns Updated: Apr-28-15 5:19 pm
OLYMPIA, Washington - Gov. Jay Inslee has signed a law to allow family members to request notification from police when confiscated guns are returned.
- Out-of-state money could be fueling gun control debate Updated: Apr-28-15 10:07 am
MONTPELIER, Vermont - A national organization co- founded by former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg has spent more than $77,000 on lobbying and advertising in Vermont in the first three months of this year.
- Appeals court won't lift stay on NRA's Pittsburgh lawsuit Updated: Apr-28-15 9:49 am
PITTSBURGH - A state appeals court has refused to lift a stay of the National Rifle Association's lawsuit challenging Pittsburgh's gun regulations.
- US court upholds Chicago suburb's assault weapons ban Updated: Apr-27-15 9:26 pm
CHICAGO - A U.S. appeals court Monday upheld a Chicago suburb's assault weapons ban that had become a focus in the statewide debate over gun control, though a dissenting judge sharply criticized the majority opinion.
- Appeal likely after court upholds assault weapons ban Updated: Apr-27-15 6:29 pm
CHICAGO - The president of the Illinois State Rifle Association says he expects an appeal of a court ruling upholding a Chicago suburb's ban on assault weapons.
- SC legislators face looming deadline for bills' passage Updated: Apr-26-15 11:01 am
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - South Carolina's House and Senate will be busy this week trying to meet a legislative deadline. Bills that haven't advanced from one chamber to the other by Friday have little chance of becoming law this year.
- Clarification: Backyard Gun Ranges story Updated: Apr-24-15 1:16 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - In a story April 23 about lawmakers considering a ban on most backyard gun ranges, The Associated Press reported that such ranges would be banned in residential areas with a density of one home per acre or more. The ban would apply in residential areas with a density of one home or more per acre.
- Governor signs bill to allow guns in all Tennessee parks Updated: Apr-24-15 12:37 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Local governments in Tennessee can no longer bar people with handgun carry permits from bringing firearms to parks, playgrounds and sports fields under legislation signed by Republican Gov. Bill Haslam.
- Gun-weary Senate makes surprise turn to legalize silencers Updated: Apr-24-15 1:01 am
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Minnesota's Senate added language to a bill Thursday that would legalize gun silencers - a surprise development as majority Democrats had shown little interest in changing the state's gun laws and a direct challenge to Gov. Mark Dayton's promise that such a measure would meet his veto pen.
- Gun-weary Senate makes surprise turn to legalize silencers Updated: Apr-23-15 8:58 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - The Senate is moving to lift a ban on gun silencers even as Gov. Mark Dayton has promised a veto.
- Oregon committee OKs more background checks on firearm sales Updated: Apr-23-15 7:10 pm
SALEM, Oregon - Despite several attempts by Oregon Republican lawmakers Thursday to derail legislation expanding background checks on gun sales, the proposal will be getting a full House vote.
- Haslam to decide this week on Tennessee guns-in-parks bill Updated: Apr-23-15 3:36 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Republican Gov. Bill Haslam said Thursday that he will decide this week whether to sign a bill to allow people with handgun carry permits to be armed in city parks near schools.
- House panel OKs stepped up shipments of weapons to Jordan Updated: Apr-23-15 3:34 pm
WASHINGTON - The House Foreign Affairs Committee on Thursday approved a bill to expedite the process of shipping advanced U.S. weapons to Jordan, a U.S. ally fighting the Islamic State.
- Vermont Senate concurs with House on gun bill changes Updated: Apr-23-15 2:46 pm
MONTPELIER, Vermont - The Vermont Senate has agreed with House changes to new restrictions on firearms ownership in Vermont.