- Survey shows majority support for NY gun control law Updated: May-30-15 10:05 am
ALBANY, New York - A recent survey shows majority support among registered voters for New York's gun control law enacted two years ago.
- McCain: US should allow sale of defensive weapons to Vietnam Updated: May-30-15 5:16 am
SINGAPORE - America needs to provide Vietnam with more defensive weapons, U.S. Sen. John McCain said Saturday as tensions in the Asia Pacific region heightened over China's expanding land reclamation projects in the South China Sea.
- Texas poised to allow open carry of handguns Updated: May-29-15 8:49 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Texas lawmakers on Friday approved carrying handguns openly on the streets of the nation's second most-populous state, sending the bill to Republican Gov. Greg Abbott, who immediately promised to sign it and reverse a ban dating to the post-Civil War era.
- Senate OKs bill allowing concealed guns at foster homes Updated: May-29-15 6:41 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Nevada senators have passed a bill that would allow concealed carry permit holders to have a gun at a foster home in certain circumstances.
- Texas lawmakers reach agreement on open carry bill Updated: May-28-15 8:49 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Texas lawmakers on Thursday negotiated a final version of a bill allowing licensed open carry of handguns, easing concerns of police and priming it for a vote that would send it to Gov. Greg Abbott.
- Bill allowing Sunday hunting with guns approved by NC Senate Updated: May-28-15 8:32 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Legislation that would end North Carolina's long-standing ban on hunting with guns on Sundays is possibly one vote away from going to Gov. Pat McCrory's desk.
- Increased domestic violence penalties headed to Haley's desk Updated: May-28-15 4:59 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - A bill increasing penalties in South Carolina for repeat domestic violence offenders and banning batterers from having guns is heading to the governor's desk.
- Fight over neighborhood gun pit calms in Rockingham County Updated: May-25-15 11:04 am
STONEVILLE, North Carolina - The fight over whether a homeowner should be allowed to build a pit on his land to fire his guns is quieting down in Rockingham County.
- New Kansas law on concealed guns concerns campuses Updated: May-24-15 1:17 pm
LAWRENCE, Kansas - Faculty and students have expressed concern about how a law allowing people to carry concealed guns into buildings on Kansas college campuses will affect the classroom.
- Texas Senate approves open carry of handguns Updated: May-22-15 10:57 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Texas took a major step toward allowing the licensed open carry of handguns, with Senate approval Friday night after a fierce debate over restricting police powers to ask people carrying guns if they are legal.
- Nevada Senate approves "Pop Tart gun" bill; goes to governor Updated: May-22-15 4:55 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Nevada lawmakers have approved a Republican-backed bill barring schools from punishing students for playing with toy guns.
- Capitol cops get bathroom training after guns left in toilet Updated: May-20-15 6:01 pm
WASHINGTON - Capitol Police officers are getting training after officers accidentally left their guns in the Capitol's public bathrooms three times this year.
- Grass Roots North Carolina runs radio ad backing gun bill Updated: May-19-15 2:50 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - A gun-rights advocacy group is running a radio ad to try to pressure House Republican leaders into letting colleagues vote on a wide-ranging measure that would further ease firearm control restrictions.
- Judge stops DC from enforcing part of 'good reason' gun law Updated: May-19-15 1:27 pm
WASHINGTON - People in the nation's capital no longer have to show a good reason to get a permit to carry concealed handguns outside their homes and businesses.
- Lawmakers considering overhaul of smart gun law Updated: May-13-15 2:48 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - A never enforced state law requiring pistols sold in New Jersey to have technology allowing only the gun's owners to fire them could be overhauled
- Snyder signs bills to loosen airsoft gun restrictions Updated: May-13-15 4:07 am
LANSING, Michigan - Gov. Rick Snyder has signed laws relaxing Michigan's restrictions on BB, pellet and paintball guns.
- Delayed NC House gun bill, once on again, now off again Updated: May-12-15 8:31 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - A bill that eases further restrictions on concealed handguns in North Carolina and makes other gun-related changes is back on the sidelines just hours after returning to the fast track.
- Oklahoma governor vetoes firearms legislation Updated: May-11-15 6:56 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - Gov. Mary Fallin has vetoed legislation opposed by the Oklahoma City Chamber that would prohibit private entities from banning firearms in parks, recreational areas or fairgrounds.
- Hundreds march across Brooklyn Bridge for stricter gun laws Updated: May-09-15 5:37 pm
NEW YORK - Hundreds of men, women and children including fashion designer Donna Karan marched across the Brooklyn Bridge on Saturday demanding stricter gun laws and offering a litany of violent stories to show why such laws are needed.
- Texas House relaxes airport laws for handgun license holders Updated: May-07-15 2:31 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - In Texas, it seems almost as common for travelers in airport security lines to forget they are carrying a handgun as it is for them to fail to take off their belts or shoes.
- Oklahoma City chamber urging governor to veto gun bill Updated: May-06-15 10:05 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - A proposal that would prohibit private entities from banning firearms in parks, recreational areas or fairgrounds in Oklahoma could threaten dozens of events held in Oklahoma City, including horse shows, basketball tournaments and the Women's College World Series, the head of the Oklahoma City Chamber of Commerce said Wednesday.
- Proposed legislation would expand concealed weapons in Ohio Updated: May-06-15 6:13 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A series of proposed gun laws would expand concealed weapons in Ohio by potentially allowing them in places like churches or day cares and letting certain gun owners carry concealed weapons without a permit.
- Bill would lift restriction on enacting assault weapons bans Updated: May-05-15 4:39 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - A lawmaker wants to undo a portion of Illinois' concealed carry law that prevents cities from banning assault weapons.
- Vermont governor signs 'common sense' gun-restrictions law Updated: May-01-15 4:54 pm
MONTPELIER, Vermont - Gov. Peter Shumlin on Friday signed into law a bill that places new restrictions on gun ownership in Vermont.
- Arizona lawmakers tell cities they can't ban plastic bags Updated: Apr-30-15 7:43 pm
PHOENIX - Vexed by the litter caught in cactus and shrubs, one Arizona city banned plastic bags on Earth Day last year. Two others considered similar bans as part of a growing trend around the country to outlaw the single-use of plastic bags at checkout counters.