- Loudon County woman sues Knoxville over gun ban at fair Updated: Oct-08-15 1:07 pm
KNOXVILLE, Tennessee - A Loudon County woman is suing the city of Knoxville over its decision to ban guns at Chilhowee Park during last month's Tennessee Valley Fair.
- House committee approves bill to allow open carry of guns Updated: Oct-06-15 12:22 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - Licensed gun owners would be able to openly carry their weapons in public under a bill approved by a House committee.
- Drugs, guns, conservation among proposed Maine legislation Updated: Oct-05-15 5:36 pm
AUGUSTA, Maine - Lawmakers and state agencies in Maine have submitted more than 400 requests for bills for the upcoming legislative session, including proposals to fight the state's heroin and opiate epidemic, alter gun laws and protect popular land conservation programs currently frozen by Gov. Paul LePage.
- San Francisco's last gun store closing doors for good Updated: Oct-05-15 8:29 am
SAN FRANCISCO - The only gun store in San Francisco is shuttering for good, saying it can no longer operate in the city's political climate of increased gun control regulations and vocal opposition to its business.
- Nearly 50 new North Carolina laws take effect Thursday Updated: Oct-01-15 7:24 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - All or portions of nearly 50 laws passed by the General Assembly and signed by Gov. Pat McCrory during this year's legislative session took effect Thursday. Here's a look at some of the most significant or interesting changes:
- University of Texas holds forum on concealed guns on campus Updated: Sep-30-15 10:25 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Forced by state lawmakers to allow concealed handgun license holders to carry their weapons into classrooms, dorms and other buildings, the University of Texas is trying to figure out where the weapons might still be banned.
- Va. gov, AG seek gun laws to protect domestic victims Updated: Sep-30-15 3:21 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - Gov. Terry McAuliffe is challenging the General Assembly to approve legislation to keep guns out of the hands of people who have committed domestic violence.
- Gun rights backers hold open carry event at Ann Arbor park Updated: Sep-30-15 6:26 am
ANN ARBOR, Michigan - A group of gun rights supporters met for a picnic at an Ann Arbor park after they say two restaurants didn't want to host their gathering.
- Vietnam leader: China island work violates international law Updated: Sep-28-15 2:28 pm
NEW YORK - Vietnam's president told The Associated Press on Monday that China's island-building in the disputed South China Sea violates international law and endangers maritime security.
- Ann Arbor wins key decision in dispute over guns in schools Updated: Sep-23-15 8:28 pm
ANN ARBOR, Michigan - A judge on Wednesday dismissed a lawsuit challenging a ban on guns in Ann Arbor schools, setting up a likely showdown in a higher court.
- Gun-friendly West Virginia eyes adding new Capitol security Updated: Sep-22-15 3:09 pm
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - West Virginians can carry firearms to many city swimming pools, tennis courts and afterschool centers under gun protections okayed by state lawmakers and their governor in 2014. Now those officials in the gun-friendly state are debating whether to ratchet up security at their own Capitol.
- University of Missouri professor sues over campus gun ban Updated: Sep-21-15 5:52 pm
COLUMBIA, Missouri - A University of Missouri associate law professor has filed a lawsuit contending that the school's ban on concealed weapons on campus violates his constitutional rights.
- Gun industry group gets US support for safety drive Updated: Sep-20-15 9:33 am
HARTFORD, Connecticut - The gun industry's Newtown-based national trade association and lobbying organization has received a $2.4 million federal grant to promote gun locks and firearm safety, an award the group says is its first under the administration of President Barack Obama.
- Court quashes some District of Columbia gun laws Updated: Sep-18-15 6:19 pm
WASHINGTON - In a mixed decision, a federal appeals court on Friday struck down as unconstitutional several strict gun registration laws in the nation's capital, but upheld other restrictions aimed at public safety.
- Bill to allow guns on university campuses moves forward Updated: Sep-16-15 4:04 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - Republican lawmakers fighting to give licensed gun owners the right to carry on state universities earned their first two victories Wednesday as House and Senate committees approved bills that would allow permitted students to take their guns to class.
- Gun-control advocates hope recent wins signal changing tide Updated: Sep-15-15 7:17 pm
PORTLAND, Oregon - It's long been conventional wisdom that fighting for gun control is a good way to end a politician's career.
- UNM art exhibit explores police, gun violence Updated: Sep-14-15 10:42 am
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - The University of New Mexico is hosting a debated art show meant to highlight police brutality and gun violence.
- Haslam agrees with city's no-guns stance at fair Updated: Sep-12-15 1:59 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Gov. Bill Haslam said he agrees with the city of Knoxville's decision to ban all guns from the Tennessee Valley Fair, but added that the controversy points to the need to clarify a new state law allowing handgun-carry permit holders to go armed in local parks.