- UAE to explore Mars' atmosphere with probe named 'Hope' Updated: May-06-15 11:20 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - The United Arab Emirates' planned 2020 mission to Mars will study the planet's atmosphere and be appropriately named "Hope," members of the project team revealed Wednesday.
- Nastia Liukin to serve as Indianapolis 500 grand marshal Updated: May-05-15 4:23 am
INDIANAPOLIS - Olympic gymnastics champion Nastia Liukin (NAHS'-tee-uh LOO'-kihn) has been named the grand marshal for the Indianapolis 500.
- IOC chief: Small nations like New Zealand could host games Updated: May-05-15 12:04 am
AUCKLAND, New Zealand - International Olympic Committee president Thomas Bach says there's no reason a small nation such as New Zealand shouldn't aspire to host the Olympics.
- Rio environmental official takes dip in polluted bay Updated: May-04-15 4:06 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - A Brazilian state environmental secretary has plunged into the polluted waters of Guanabara Bay as part of a televised stunt meant to assuage worries about health risks faced by sailors competing in the 2016 Olympics.
- WWII changed life for Ala man raised under Jim Crow laws Updated: May-04-15 11:10 am
DECATUR, Alabama - Therman White grew up with obstacles: his race, poverty and Jim Crow laws designed to keep blacks separate and unequal.
- Maine Sports Hall of Fame inducts 9 new members Updated: May-04-15 6:21 am
AUGUSTA, Maine - An Olympic gold medalist and a 17-year veteran of the NHL were among nine people inducted into the Maine Sports Hall of Fame.
- Sao Paulo confirmed as football host in 2016 Olympics Updated: Apr-30-15 8:59 pm
SAO PAULO - Olympic organizers have confirmed Sao Paulo as one of the host cities of the football tournament at the 2016 Rio Games.
- Former Olympian Bouchard-Hall chosen as USA Cycling CEO Updated: Apr-30-15 3:02 pm
USA Cycling has chosen a Harvard-educated businessman who once made the U.S. Olympic team to help usher the sport's national governing body through a critical and transformative time.
- Boston 2024 Olympic stadium plans derailed by MBTA garages Updated: Apr-29-15 8:28 am
BOSTON - City officials hoping to bring the Olympics to Boston in 2024 have hit a hurdle in their plans to reach that goal.
- IOC president Bach discusses potential Australia bid Updated: Apr-29-15 6:41 am
CANBERRA, Australia - Australia would have a good chance of success if it bid to host the 2028 Olympic Games in Queensland state, International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach said on Wednesday.
- Chinese babies born during pollution-light Olympics heavier Updated: Apr-29-15 6:25 am
BEIJING - Women in the Chinese capital in the final stage of pregnancy during the 2008 Beijing Olympics - when officials strictly controlled air pollution - gave birth to heavier babies than in years when the city was smoggier, a study said Wednesday.
- Canadian swim coach Randy Bennett dies at 51 Updated: Apr-28-15 6:30 pm
VICTORIA, British Columbia - Longtime Canadian swim coach Randy Bennett has died. He was 51.
- Volleyball and soccer top list of preferred Olympic tickets Updated: Apr-28-15 5:19 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Rio's Olympic committee says volleyball and soccer are the most popular sports for fans seeking tickets for the 2016 Games.
- Equestrian aims for more nations competing at Olympics Updated: Apr-27-15 12:45 pm
LAUSANNE, Switzerland - The International Equestrian Federation could cut team sizes at the Olympics to create space for more competing countries.
- Bach: India not ready to bid for 2024 Olympics Updated: Apr-27-15 12:20 pm
NEW DELHI - India is not ready to bid for the 2024 Olympics but could be a candidate to host the games in the future, IOC President Thomas Bach said on Monday.
- Olympic sailing events may be moved from Rio's polluted bay Updated: Apr-24-15 9:02 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - The world governing body of sailing threatened Friday to move all of its events for the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics out of the city's Guanabara Bay if action isn't taken quickly to clean the heavily polluted body of water that many sailors have described as an "open sewer."
- Bowman returns to college ranks as Arizona State swim coach Updated: Apr-24-15 7:56 pm
TEMPE, Arizona - Bob Bowman, the longtime coach of 18-time Olympic gold medalist Michael Phelps, is taking charge of Arizona State's men's and women's swimming programs.
- Manfred downplays possibility of big leaguers in Olympics Updated: Apr-23-15 5:59 pm
NEW YORK - Don't expect to see big league baseball players at the 2020 Olympics, even if the IOC reinstates the sport for the Tokyo Games. And new Major League Baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred says the sport's international governing body should demand a long-term pledge from the International Olympic Committee before agreeing to return.
- AP Interview: Rio 2016 CEO on corruption, legacy budget Updated: Apr-23-15 3:36 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Sidney Levy placed his thumb and forefinger about an inch apart to illustrate the size of a book he'd just been reading.
- IOC launches consultants register for 2024 Olympic bidding Updated: Apr-23-15 1:50 pm
LONDON - Any consultants seeking to work for cities bidding to host the 2024 Summer Games must register with the IOC and pledge to abide by ethics rules, signaling a new drive by Olympic leaders to control costs and make the process more transparent.
- France loses 2016 Olympics place in team eventing for doping Updated: Apr-23-15 7:35 am
LAUSANNE, Switzerland - France was stripped of its spot in equestrian's team eventing competition a next year's Olympics on Thursday because of a doping violation.
- US Olympic wrestling trials headed back to Iowa City Updated: Apr-22-15 6:56 pm
The U.S. Olympic Team Trials in returning to Iowa City, Iowa, in 2016.
- Silva confirms he will try to compete in 2016 Rio Olympics Updated: Apr-22-15 5:54 pm
SAO PAULO - Mixed martial arts fighter Anderson Silva will fight for a spot in the Brazilian taekwondo team at the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.
- Bird, Papi on board of Boston Olympic bid committee Updated: Apr-22-15 1:35 pm
- Olympic sports leaders praise Rio for getting back on track Updated: Apr-22-15 10:21 am
SOCHI, Russia - Leaders of summer Olympic sports have praised Brazilian organizers for getting preparations back on track for next year's games in Rio de Janeiro.