- A look at recent politically tainted trials in Russia Updated: Aug-25-15 10:04 am
MOSCOW - The guilty verdict Tuesday for Crimean filmmaker Oleg Sentsov, who was convicted and sentenced to 20 years in a Russian maximum-security prison for an alleged terror conspiracy, follows a plethora of recent Russian trials that are widely seen as warnings to society not to question its Kremlin rulers.
- Olympic figure skating champ Sotnikova prepares for comeback Updated: Aug-20-15 1:09 pm
MOSCOW - Olympic figure skating champion Adelina Sotnikova has a simple message: I'm back.
- Beijing pollution awaits runners at worlds, just like '08 Updated: Aug-20-15 2:11 am
BEIJING - The drifting smoke from forest fires sometimes makes it difficult for marathoner Heather Lieberg to take a deep breath during her afternoon training runs in the hills of Montana.
- Ex- Salt Lake City mayor sues NSA over Olympics surveillance Updated: Aug-19-15 4:32 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - A former mayor of Salt Lake City has sued the National Security Agency over what he calls a mass warrantless surveillance program monitoring texts, emails and phone calls during the 2002 Winter Olympics.
- Finance, venue challenges for Durban 2022 Com. Games bid Updated: Aug-11-15 9:33 am
DURBAN, South Africa - Durban's 2022 Commonwealth Games bid still has "challenges" before it can become the event's first African host, including getting a financial guarantee from the South African government, a bid leader said.
- After tape-delayed success, a mostly live Olympics for NBC Updated: Aug-05-15 10:52 pm
NEW YORK - A swimmer with a heart-wrenching history is about to race at the Olympics, so of course NBC will first air a slickly produced feature full of teary interviews and stirring music.
- Triple Olympic champion Domracheva to miss season Updated: Aug-04-15 7:53 am
MOSCOW - Triple Olympic biathlon champion Darya Domracheva says she will miss the entire upcoming season after being struck down by the illness mononucleosis.
- IOC shakes up bid process for 2024 Summer Olympics Updated: Aug-02-15 10:30 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - The IOC shook up the bidding process for the 2024 Olympics on Sunday, eliminating the cut-down phase and clearing the way for all the candidates to make it to the final vote.
- Having made Olympic history, Beijing faces challenges Updated: Aug-01-15 4:52 am
BEIJING - Having made history as the first city to win hosting rights for both the Summer and Winter Olympics, Beijing now faces a slew of challenges, from ensuring adequate snow in a bone-dry region to ramping up support for winter sports in a nation where few people ski or skate.
- Watchdog groups quick to criticize IOC over Beijing in 2022 Updated: Jul-31-15 1:32 pm
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - The Beijing bid delegation had no sooner finished their congratulatory hugs and handshakes after being awarded the 2022 Winter Olympics than criticism from human rights groups over the IOC's decision began to pour in.
- Back to Beijing for 2nd Olympics in 14 years Updated: Jul-31-15 10:13 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Throughout more than 120 years of Olympic history, no city has hosted both the winter and summer games. Now, Beijing will be the first do it - and in the span of just 14 years.
- Technical issues force 2 votes for 2022 Winter Olympics Updated: Jul-31-15 10:11 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - The vote to decide the 2022 Winter Olympics host city should have taken about 10 minutes using tablet-like electronic devices. Instead, a technical glitch left 85 voting members of the International Olympic Committee using paper ballots to ultimately give Beijing the nod.
- Russia's Sochi mooted as host for 2024 Olympics Updated: Jul-31-15 9:57 am
MOSCOW - The man who organized last year's Winter Olympics in Sochi is pushing for the Russian city to host the 2024 Summer Games.
- Muted reaction in Almaty as Kazakh city's Olympic bid fails Updated: Jul-31-15 8:30 am
ALMATY, Kazakhstan - Within minutes of the announcement that Almaty's bid to host the 2022 Winter Olympics had failed, it was almost as if it had never happened.
- Beijing celebrates winning the 2022 Winter Olympics Updated: Jul-31-15 8:15 am
BEIJING - Lion dancers swayed and confetti canons erupted Friday as news came that Beijing would become the first city to host both the summer and winter Olympics.
- Chinese vice premier, Kazakh prime minister head delegations Updated: Jul-31-15 12:00 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Kazakhstan Prime Minister Karim Massimov will head the Almaty delegation and Chinese Vice Premier Liu Yandong will lead the Beijing team in the final presentations to the IOC ahead of the vote for the 2022 Winter Olympics.
- FSB: US, Georgia helped prevent attacks at Sochi Olympics Updated: Jul-30-15 5:58 pm
MOSCOW - The head of Russia's domestic security agency says the United States, Georgia and several Western European countries helped prevent terrorist attacks during last year's Winter Olympics.
- US Olympic hero Jim Craig to auction memorabilia Updated: Jul-29-15 2:36 pm
NEW YORK - The American flag that goalie Jim Craig wrapped around his shoulders after the U.S. Miracle on Ice victory at the 1980 Lake Placid Winter Olympics is on the auction block.