- IOC chooses 2022 host city, winner to be announced Friday Updated: Jul-31-15 5:11 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - The IOC selected a host city for the 2022 Winter Olympics on Friday, with the winner to be announced later at an official ceremony.
- Beijing makes last pitch in bidding for 2022 Winter Games Updated: Jul-31-15 1:03 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Beijing highlighted environmental improvements since the Summer Olympics in 2008 in its final presentation to the IOC before voting Friday to determine which city will be awarded the 2022 Winter Games.
- Chinese vice premier, Kazakh prime minister head delegations Updated: Jul-31-15 12:00 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Kazakhstan Prime Minister Karim Massimov will head the Almaty delegation and Chinese Vice Premier Liu Yandong will lead the Beijing team in the final presentations to the IOC ahead of the vote for the 2022 Winter Olympics.
- Almaty has hard-hitting final pitch for 2022 hosting rights Updated: Jul-30-15 11:34 pm
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Almaty has pleaded with International Olympic Committee members to not consider them a "risky" choice to host the 2022 Winter Games simply because the central Asian country of Kazakhstan is not familiar to many of them.
- FSB: US, Georgia helped prevent attacks at Sochi Olympics Updated: Jul-30-15 5:58 pm
MOSCOW - The head of Russia's domestic security agency says the United States, Georgia and several Western European countries helped prevent terrorist attacks during last year's Winter Olympics.
- US Olympic hero Jim Craig to auction memorabilia Updated: Jul-29-15 2:36 pm
NEW YORK - The American flag that goalie Jim Craig wrapped around his shoulders after the U.S. Miracle on Ice victory at the 1980 Lake Placid Winter Olympics is on the auction block.
- Star athletes pitch for Beijing, Almaty ahead of 2022 vote Updated: Jul-29-15 2:55 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Former NBA star Yao Ming and Sochi Olympic bronze medalist figure skater Denis Ten differ in height by exactly two feet. The towering basketballer is representing Beijing's bid for the 2022 Olympics, and the diminutive figure skater is boosting the bid from Almaty, Kazakhstan.
- Beijing bid faces same old questions ahead of 2022 IOC vote Updated: Jul-28-15 10:54 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Two of China's most storied winter Olympic athletes faced tough questions about Beijing's bid for the 2022 Winter Games - namely about air pollution and a lack of snow.
- Tibetan groups campaign against 2022 Olympics going to China Updated: Jul-28-15 6:46 am
BEIJING - Tibetan activists and others are calling on the International Olympic Committee not to award the 2022 Winter Games to Beijing, saying China's human rights record after the 2008 Olympics in the Chinese capital worsened rather than showing a hoped-for improvement.
- A look at Almaty's bid for the 2022 Winter Olympics Updated: Jul-28-15 4:53 am
ALMATY, Kazakhstan - The Central Asian city of Almaty is vying with Beijing to host the 2022 Winter Olympics. The winner will be selected Friday in a vote of the International Olympic Committee in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Here's a quick look at Almaty's bid:
- Almaty offers traditional winter setting in 2022 Olympic bid Updated: Jul-28-15 4:51 am
ALMATY, Kazakhstan - Instead of grand talk about how the Olympics will break new ground by going to a majority-Muslim country for the first time, or by making their first visit to Central Asia, Almaty's bid for the 2022 Winter Games is about tradition.
- With Boston out, can Los Angeles revive a US Olympic bid? Updated: Jul-27-15 11:05 pm
Boston's bid to host the 2024 Olympics was undercut by its own mayor, its skeptical public and, finally, leaders of the U.S. Olympic Committee, who were tired of the city's ever-changing blueprint.
- Olympic skicross racer banned in doping rule case Updated: Jul-27-15 11:00 am
BERN, Switzerland - Two-time Olympic skicross racer Sanna Luedi of Switzerland has been banned from competing for one year after breaking anti-doping rules.
- Bach: Facilities and sustainability key to winning 2022 bid Updated: Jul-27-15 10:09 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - The vote to determine which city will host the 2022 Winter Olympics will come down to the quality of sports facilities for athletes and sustainability, International Olympic Committee president Thomas Bach said Monday.
- IOC awards Olympic broadcast rights to Qatar's beIN Media Updated: Jul-27-15 6:47 am
LAUSANNE, Switzerland - The International Olympic Committee has awarded broadcast rights in the Middle East and North Africa from 2018-2024 to Qatar's beIN Media Group.
- Beijing touts experience, facilities in 2022 Olympic bid Updated: Jul-27-15 2:32 am
BEIJING - Beijing has marketed its bid to host the 2022 Winter Olympics as the reliable choice, despite concerns about a lack of natural snow, notoriously bad air pollution and warnings about the government's treatment of political dissidents and minority groups.
- Canadian Olympic head to back Toronto to make 2024 bid Updated: Jul-26-15 7:00 pm
TORONTO - The head of the Canadian Olympic Committee said Sunday he would push Toronto to bid for the 2024 Olympics.
- IOC chief Bach arrives in KL ahead of 2022 Olympics vote Updated: Jul-24-15 6:15 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - IOC president Thomas Bach arrived in Malaysia on Friday ahead of executive board meetings and a general session which will determine the host city for the 2022 Winter Olympics - either Beijing or Almaty, Kazakhstan.
- IOC: Pyeongchang poised to move from planning to operations Updated: Jul-24-15 4:35 am
PYEONGCHANG, South Korea - IOC coordination commission leader Gunilla Lindberg says organizers of the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang are well poised to move from planning to operational mode with six months remaining before the first of the test events.
- Mayor says Toronto will decide 'very quickly' on Olympic bid Updated: Jul-23-15 6:25 pm
TORONTO - Toronto Mayor John Tory says Canada's largest city will make a decision "very quickly" whether to bid for the 2024 Olympics.
- Hyundai, Kia Motors sign deal for 2018 Pyeongchang Olympics Updated: Jul-23-15 9:48 am
SEOUL, South Korea - South Korean automakers Hyundai Motor Co. and its affiliate Kia Motors have signed on as a domestic sponsor of the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang.
- Human rights groups criticize both 2022 Winter Olympic bids Updated: Jul-23-15 9:26 am
Watchdog groups criticized the human rights records of China and Kazakhstan on Thursday, just over a week before the IOC decides on whether to award the 2022 Winter Olympics to Beijing or Almaty.
- Kazakhstan's hostility toward gays under fire Updated: Jul-23-15 6:38 am
MOSCOW - A leading human rights organization has criticized Kazakhstan's hostility toward gay people ahead of a vote to pick the host for the 2022 Winter Olympics.
- South Koreans face daunting task building for Olympic hockey Updated: Jul-17-15 4:49 am
FRISCO, Texas - South Korean goalie Kye Hoon Park took up ice hockey on the advice of an elementary school teacher.
- Senior Chinese sports official fired in corruption probe Updated: Jul-16-15 8:05 am
BEIJING - A senior Chinese sports official was fired from his government position on Thursday amid a corruption probe, just weeks before the vote on Beijing's bid for the 2022 Winter Olympics.