- California urged to return $331 million meant for homeowners Updated: Jul-06-15 8:18 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Several California lawmakers and community assistance groups are calling on Gov. Jerry Brown to repay more than $331 million in funds intended to help homeowners struggling with foreclosures that the state siphoned off to help deal with its budget crisis.
- 'Citizen of the year' gets 14 years in California fraud case Updated: Jul-02-15 6:09 pm
LOS ANGELES - A former California real estate developer once honored as his city's citizen of the year was sentenced Thursday to the maximum 14 years in prison for bilking investors who poured millions of dollars into failed development projects.
- Another big auction planned of foreclosed Detroit properties Updated: Jul-02-15 6:22 am
DETROIT - Another major auction of Detroit tax-foreclosed properties is planned this fall.
- US construction spending rises 0.8 percent in May Updated: Jul-01-15 10:24 am
WASHINGTON - U.S. construction spending posted a solid gain in May, pushing total activity to the highest point since the fall of 2008, with the strength led by a big jump in non-residential projects.
- Quicken Loans founder: Company not to blame for blight Updated: Jul-01-15 7:04 am
DETROIT - Quicken Loans founder Dan Gilbert says the number of foreclosures on the company's loans for Detroit homes reflects the large volume of investments made in the city.
- Houses sold in Rhode Island rises 6 percent for May Updated: Jun-30-15 12:44 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The number of houses sold in Rhode Island rose 6 percent in May, while the median sales price of $227,500 represents a 9 percent increase from a year ago.
- 8 homes vacated after '03 plant accident will be up for sale Updated: Jun-30-15 11:18 am
HOLLEY, New York - Eight abandoned homes will go on the market more than a decade after the owners moved out of their western New York neighborhood because of a chemical accident.
- US home prices climbing steadily Updated: Jun-30-15 9:42 am
WASHINGTON - U.S. home prices increased at a solid clip in April, led by double-digit jumps in Denver and San Francisco.
- US pending home sales climb to 9-year high Updated: Jun-29-15 10:41 am
WASHINGTON - More Americans signed contracts to purchase homes in May, as pending sales climbed to their highest level in more than nine years.
- St. Paul home where Fitzgerald once lived up for sale Updated: Jun-28-15 5:20 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - A St. Paul home where Jazz Age author F. Scott Fitzgerald once lived is up for sale.
- Business events scheduled for the coming month Updated: Jun-26-15 6:29 am
All times are Eastern
- Average US rate on 30-year mortgage edges up to 4.02 pct. Updated: Jun-25-15 11:09 am
WASHINGTON - Average long-term U.S. mortgage rates were mixed this week, marking slight increases or declines but remaining close to high levels for the year.
- US consumers ramp up May spending; largest gain since 2009 Updated: Jun-25-15 10:01 am
WASHINGTON - U.S. consumer spending surged in May with the biggest monthly increase in nearly six years - a sign of stronger economic growth ahead.
- Audit: NYC Housing Authority sitting on 2,000 vacant units Updated: Jun-25-15 7:04 am
NEW YORK - An audit has found that hundreds of apartment units stand empty while 270,000 New Yorkers are on a waiting list for public housing.
- US economy not as bad in 1st quarter, paving way for rebound Updated: Jun-24-15 11:25 am
WASHINGTON - The U.S. economy contracted in the first three months of the year, just not as much as previously estimated. More recent data show that the weakness was largely temporary, with a rebound in the works for the April-June quarter.
- Baton Rouge area home sales drop nearly 8 percent in May Updated: Jun-23-15 11:28 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - The number of houses sold in metro Baton Rouge dropped 7.6 percent in May from a year ago, a decline that real estate experts are blaming on tight inventory.
- US new-home sales in May climb to best levels since 2008 Updated: Jun-23-15 10:45 am
WASHINGTON - Purchases of new U.S. homes surged in the Northeast and West in May, as steady job growth over the past year has lifted the real estate sector.
- Sales of single-family homes in Massachusetts drops Updated: Jun-23-15 7:41 am
BOSTON - Sales of single-family homes in Massachusetts declined last month when compared to May 2014, a drop that one organization that tracks the market attributes to low inventory.
- Here's why home sales are finally surging Updated: Jun-22-15 5:02 pm
WASHINGTON - Real estate has gotten hot again.
- Maine home sales increased steadily in May, realtors say Updated: Jun-22-15 1:11 pm
SOUTH PORTLAND, Maine - The Maine Association of Realtors says home values and sales volume increased steadily in May.
- California home sales rise; median price tops $400,000 Updated: Jun-18-15 4:53 pm
IRVINE, California - California home sales continued their year-over-year rise last month as the state recovers from its housing slump. The median price of homes hit $401,000 statewide and $650,000 in the San Francisco Bay Area, a real estate research firm reported Thursday.
- US homebuilding drops in May, but pace stronger than in 2014 Updated: Jun-16-15 11:01 am
WASHINGTON - U.S. builders broke ground on fewer homes in May, but the pace of construction remains significantly higher than a year ago as the real estate sector increasingly reflects the stronger job market.
- Homebuilders Standard Pacific, Ryland Group agree to merger Updated: Jun-14-15 11:43 pm
LOS ANGELES - Standard Pacific Corp. and Ryland Group Inc. have agreed to merge in an all-stock transaction that will create a single homebuilder with operations in 17 states.
- US household wealth reaches new high of nearly $85 trillion Updated: Jun-11-15 2:03 pm
WASHINGTON - A rising stock market and climbing home prices boosted Americans' net worth to a new high in the first three months of the year.