- HSBC reaches $470M deal with US, states over banking abuses Updated: Feb-05-16 6:10 pm
WASHINGTON - Banking giant HSBC has reached a $470 million settlement with the federal government and nearly all states over mortgage lending and foreclosure abuses that officials say helped intensify the country's economic meltdown, the Justice Department announced Friday.
- Average long-term US mortgage rate falls fifth straight week Updated: Feb-04-16 10:49 am
WASHINGTON - Average long-term U.S. mortgage rates fell for the fifth straight week amid volatility in world financial markets.
- Baton Rouge-area home sales jump 8 percent in 2015 Updated: Feb-02-16 10:18 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Baton Rouge-area home sales increased by 8 percent in 2015.
- US construction spending hit 8-year-high in 2015 Updated: Feb-01-16 10:13 am
WASHINGTON - U.S. construction spending rebounded slightly in December, helping push total spending for 2015 to the highest level in eight years.
- US new-home sales soar in December Updated: Jan-27-16 7:14 pm
WASHINGTON - Americans rushed to buy new homes in December at the strongest pace in 10 months, with 2015 marking the strongest year for this segment of the housing market since 2007.
- Few US neighborhoods affordable, walkable with good schools Updated: Jan-27-16 4:07 pm
WASHINGTON - Few neighborhoods can match the perks of Adams Morgan in Washington, D.C. - a reality that reflects a broader problem for the U.S. housing market.
- Home sales hit highest level in Rhode Island since 2004 Updated: Jan-27-16 10:56 am
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - More single-family homes sold in Rhode Island last year than any year since 2004.
- Strong month ends strong year for Massachusetts home sales Updated: Jan-27-16 8:04 am
BOSTON - A strong year for sales of single-family homes in Massachusetts has ended with a strong final month, according to two organizations that track the market.
- US home prices rise in November; all-time highs in 4 cities Updated: Jan-26-16 9:43 am
WASHINGTON - U.S. home prices increased at a faster clip in November, the gains fueled by solid hiring growth, historically low mortgage rates and a shortage of houses on the market.
- South Korea's 4Q growth slows as construction spending drops Updated: Jan-25-16 10:17 pm
SEOUL, South Korea - South Korea's economic growth slowed in the final quarter of 2015 as a drop in construction investment outweighed an improvement in consumer spending, the country's central bank said Tuesday.
- Criminal trial underway for ex-Viking, business partner Updated: Jan-25-16 1:54 pm
MINNEAPOLIS - Former Minnesota Vikings tight end Stu Voigt and a business partner are standing trial on criminal charges accusing them of stealing from investors.
- Insider Q&A: KB Home CEO Jeffrey Mezger on housing market Updated: Jan-24-16 6:53 pm
LOS ANGELES - The market for new U.S. homes strengthened for much of 2015, with sales rising 14.5 percent through the first 11 months of the year. Steady job growth and low mortgage rates spurred sales higher. At the same time, rising prices amid a dearth of available resale homes in many markets remain hurdles for many would-be homebuyers.
- Debt collectors beware: Judge's ruling could change the game Updated: Jan-24-16 11:11 am
HAWTHORNE, New Jersey - Ever had a debt collector on your back for money you knew you didn't owe? Listen to the story of Steven Psaros and take heart.
- Single-family home sales rose 11 percent in Maine in 2015 Updated: Jan-23-16 9:16 am
PORTLAND, Maine - The Maine Association of Realtors says sales of existing single-family homes increased 11 percent last year compared to 2014.
- US home purchases rebound; 2015 had most sales in 9 years Updated: Jan-22-16 10:54 am
WASHINGTON - U.S. home sales rebounded in December after new regulations had delayed the completion of purchases in November. And total sales in 2015 were the most in nine years.
- 2015 construction in Mitchell sets city record at $44.7M Updated: Jan-22-16 7:54 am
MITCHELL, South Dakota - Construction in Mitchell last year set city records, an achievement officials say reflects a strong local economy and a high quality of life.
- Building with Boston's iconic Citgo sign to be sold Updated: Jan-21-16 3:32 pm
BOSTON - The Boston building that's home to the iconic Citgo sign visible over Fenway Park's Green Monster wall in left field will be going up for sale, and the new owners will get to decide whether it stays there.
- California home sales surge in December, capping strong year Updated: Jan-20-16 4:57 pm
SAN DIEGO - California home sales surged in December, capping a year of steady sales growth and modest price gains, a research firm said Wednesday.
- US housing starts slip in December, but annual gains solid Updated: Jan-20-16 10:19 am
WASHINGTON - US builders started fewer homes in December, but prior gains meant that residential construction ended 2015 at its healthiest level in eight years.
- Boxing champ Mike Tyson selling home near Las Vegas Updated: Jan-20-16 9:43 am
LAS VEGAS - Mike Tyson has upgraded to a bigger house in his neighborhood and put his former home near Las Vegas up for sale.
- Economists see more growth for US economy, housing in '16 Updated: Jan-19-16 5:31 pm
LAS VEGAS - A robust U.S. economy and job market, plus low mortgage rates, should help keep the recovery in the new-home market going at a modest pace this year, but a return to pre-housing boom sales and construction levels isn't imminent.
- As wealthy Brazilians snap up Miami real estate, few benefit Updated: Jan-19-16 11:03 am
MIAMI - Facing a teetering economy at home, wealthy Brazilians have been pouring money into what they increasingly see as the safest place to invest: South Florida real estate.
- Realtors: Wisconsin posts best home sales year in a decade Updated: Jan-18-16 6:13 pm
MILWAUKEE - Wisconsin posted its best year for sales of existing homes in a decade in 2015, the Wisconsin Realtors Association said Monday.
- Goldman Sachs to pay $5 billion in mortgage settlement Updated: Jan-14-16 7:15 pm
NEW YORK - Goldman Sachs said Thursday it will pay roughly $5 billion to settle federal and state probes of its role in the sale of shoddy mortgages in the years leading to the housing bubble and subsequent financial crisis.
- Former Texas judge found guilty of embezzlement Updated: Jan-14-16 2:33 pm
LAS CRUCES, New Mexico - A former El Paso County, Texas, judge has been found guilty of embezzlement in New Mexico.