- Columbia VA halts surgeries again because of dust Updated: Dec-07-13 2:27 pm
- Gene therapy scores big wins against blood cancers Updated: Dec-07-13 2:27 pm
- Rare Malayan tiger at Fresno Zoo pregnant Updated: Dec-07-13 1:44 pm
- Wash. victim of botched laser surgery to get $30M Updated: Dec-07-13 1:27 pm
- Obama taps former top aide to work on health law Updated: Dec-07-13 1:07 pm
- APNewsBreak: Feds balk at paper health application Updated: Dec-07-13 12:01 pm
- Lawmaker urging tougher law for heroin dealing Updated: Dec-07-13 11:36 am
- Pa. health systems examine expanding partnership Updated: Dec-07-13 11:30 am
- PSU's efforts to study child abuse settles in Updated: Dec-07-13 11:26 am
- Med students create, run free clinic in Norfolk Updated: Dec-07-13 10:08 am
- New England editorial roundup Updated: Dec-07-13 9:04 am
- Vt. high school to host bone marrow registration Updated: Dec-07-13 8:23 am
- Madrid's Bale has flu, to miss Copa del Rey opener Updated: Dec-07-13 8:05 am
- Iowa DNR monitors deer for chronic wasting disease Updated: Dec-07-13 5:09 am
- Prison officer aims to right wrong in 1893 death Updated: Dec-07-13 4:14 am
- Lawyer: State overstepped by extending policies Updated: Dec-06-13 9:44 pm
- Judge rules mental health audit will remain secret Updated: Dec-06-13 9:25 pm
- 4 die of hypothermia in SF Bay Area cold snap Updated: Dec-06-13 8:53 pm
- CDC: Water at Marine base linked to birth defects Updated: Dec-06-13 8:46 pm
- Colorado clears teen treatment center to reopen Updated: Dec-06-13 8:34 pm
- Ohio Amish girl won't be forced to renew chemo Updated: Dec-06-13 8:23 pm
- Third HIV case spurs another pornography moratorium Updated: Dec-06-13 7:53 pm
- Ex-Assemblywoman Vivian Freeman dies at 86 Updated: Dec-06-13 7:53 pm
- FDA approves breakthrough hepatitis C drug Updated: Dec-06-13 5:53 pm
- Officials: 20 whales spotted closer to shore Updated: Dec-06-13 5:41 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The operating rooms at the Department of Veterans Affairs hospital in Columbia have closed again after dust was found in the operating room.
In one of the biggest advances against leukemia and other blood cancers in many years, doctors are reporting unprecedented success by using gene therapy to transform patients' blood cells into soldiers that seek and destroy cancer.
FRESNO, California - A rare Malayan tiger at the Fresno Zoo is expecting.
WENATCHEE, Washington - A jury has recently awarded an additional $18 million to a woman whose botched surgery at a Wenatchee hospital left her unable to speak.
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama is bringing a former top aide with deep ties to Congress back to the White House to help get his health care overhaul back on track after a bungled rollout.
FORT LAUDERDALE, Florida - Federal health officials, after encouraging alternate sign-up methods amid the fumbled rollout of their online insurance website, began quietly urging counselors around the country this week to stop using paper applications to enroll people in health insurance because of concerns those applications would not be processed in time.
BURLINGTON, Kentucky - A northern Kentucky legislator is calling for tougher jail penalties for heroin dealing, but treatment advocates argued that harsher criminal punishments don't help with the problem of addiction.
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - Penn State Hershey and PinnacleHealth have begun formal talks to "broaden their existing strategic relationship," the hospital systems announced last week.
STATE COLLEGE, Pennsylvania - While riding a taxi to a job interview last year at Pennsylvania State University, the cabbie casually asked Jennie Noll what brought her to State College. When she told him she specialized in child-sexual abuse research, his response was quick:
NORFOLK, Virginia - For Cara Wright, taking someone's blood pressure at a free clinic on Southampton Avenue in Norfolk is pretty straightforward.
The Boston Globe, Dec. 6, 2013
LYNDONVILLE, Vermont - Vermont's Lyndon Institute is going to be hosting a bone marrow registration drive.
MADRID - Real Madrid says forward Gareth Bale has the flu and will miss the team's Copa del Rey opener at third-division Olimpic Xativa on Saturday.
DES MOINES, Iowa - Iowa officials will continue to monitor deer samples for any signs of chronic wasting disease in the wild herd.
JACKSON, Michigan - A Michigan Department of Corrections officer is seeking national recognition for a 19th century prison guard fatally poisoned by an inmate who was pardoned decades later.
PORTLAND, Oregon - A lawyer for the Oregon Legislature says the state insurance commissioner overstepped her authority when she allowed insurance companies to extend policies that had been canceled because they don't meet standards under the federal health care law.
SANTA FE, New Mexico - A judge has ruled that government agencies don't have to disclose an audit of more than a dozen mental health providers under investigation for possible overbillings and fraud, because the audit contains law enforcement materials that are confidential.
SAN JOSE, California - Four homeless people have died of hypothermia in the San Francisco Bay Area since last week, authorities said, highlighting the danger to people without shelter as the region is gripped by freezing temperatures.
RALEIGH, North Carolina - A long-awaited study by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shows a link between tainted tap water at a U.S. Marine Corps base in North Carolina and increased risk of serious birth defects and childhood cancers.
PUEBLO, Colorado - Adolescent treatment cottages in Pueblo that were shut down by the state after allegations of children being placed in solitary confinement will be allowed to reopen.
TOLEDO, Ohio - A court-appointed guardian is dropping her attempt to force an 11-year-old Amish girl with leukemia to resume chemotherapy after she and her parents fled their home to avoid treatment.
LOS ANGELES - The advocacy group for the adult film industry has called for another moratorium on filming after an actor tested positive for HIV for the third time this year
RENO, Nevada - Former Assemblywoman Vivian Freeman, who championed the causes of women and children, conservation and education, has died at the age of 86.
WASHINGTON - Federal health officials have approved a highly anticipated hepatitis C drug from Gilead Sciences Inc. that is expected to offer a faster, more palatable cure to millions of people infected with the liver-destroying virus.
EVERGLADES NATIONAL PARK, Florida - Twenty whales believed to be part of a pod found stranded in the Everglades this week were spotted Friday afternoon moving closer toward shore, a sign they may be reversing their earlier, positive course, wildlife officials said.