- Vegas hot-air balloon business takes flight after fire Updated: Aug-28-15 6:18 am
LAS VEGAS - Vegas Balloon Rides is taking flight for the first time since routine re-fueling erupted into a fire at the company's office near the Las Vegas Strip, injuring a pilot and destroying three of the company's baskets.
- 1955 refinery explosion seemed like 'end of the world' Updated: Aug-28-15 5:10 am
WHITING, Indiana - On an already hot morning during one of the hottest summers on record, shortly after the sun peeked over the horizon, a huge blast at the Standard Oil Refinery in Whiting startled thousands out of their sleep and shattered windows as far away as Crown Point.
- East Hartford gas station explosion caused by car accident Updated: Aug-28-15 2:40 am
EAST HARTFORD, Connecticut - Officials say an out of control vehicle was responsible for an explosion and subsequent fire at an East Hartford gas station.
- Jury: Cable company largely responsible in fatal blast Updated: Aug-27-15 4:59 pm
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - Time Warner Cable must pay nearly $6 million as part of a lawsuit alleging it was largely responsible for a fatal natural gas explosion that leveled an upscale Kansas City restaurant, jurors ruled Thursday.
- Indiana man sentenced in deadly explosion moved to prison Updated: Aug-27-15 4:37 pm
MICHIGAN CITY, Indiana - An Indianapolis man sentenced to two life sentences plus 75 years for a deadly house explosion has begun serving his sentence at a state prison.
- China detains 11 over deadly warehouse explosion Updated: Aug-27-15 6:56 am
BEIJING - Chinese prosecutors have detained 11 government officials and company executives over a massive warehouse explosion that killed at least 145 people in the country's worst industrial disaster in recent years.
- Police: Man stepped on gas line before motel explosion Updated: Aug-26-15 9:08 pm
BREMERTON, Washington - Police say a man stepped on a gas line at a motel in Washington state just before a huge explosion destroyed part of the structure and critically injured a gas company worker.
- Jury gets the case in Kansas City restaurant explosion trial Updated: Aug-25-15 7:28 pm
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - After five weeks of testimony, lawyers presented closing arguments Tuesday in the civil trial involving a fatal explosion more than two years ago at a Kansas City restaurant.
- Champions Tour cancels China event because of deadly blast Updated: Aug-25-15 2:11 pm
PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Florida - The Champions Tour has canceled its September tournament in China near the port where an explosion killed more than 100 people and left several more missing.
- 2 men burned in house fire sparked by hash oil operation Updated: Aug-25-15 12:19 pm
YAKIMA, Washington - Two men were badly burned in a house fire that Yakima officials say was sparked during the manufacture of hash oil.
- Firefighters battle structure fire in Cleveland County Updated: Aug-24-15 2:44 pm
NOBLE, Oklahoma - Firefighters are battling a mobile home fire in Cleveland County where explosions have been reported with people possibly inside the structure.
- Man, 67, dies after explosion at Massachusetts home Updated: Aug-24-15 3:17 am
NEW BRAINTREE, Massachusetts - Authorities say a contractor who was critically injured in an explosion at a Massachusetts home has died.
- Explosion at chemical plant in eastern China kills 1 Updated: Aug-23-15 8:25 am
BEIJING - An explosion at a chemical plant in eastern China killed one person and injured nine others, a state news agency reported Sunday, less than two weeks after a similar disaster at a chemical warehouse killed 123 people.
- Body found after explosion levels southwest Missouri home Updated: Aug-22-15 12:31 pm
MARSHFIELD, Missouri - Authorities say a body has been found after an explosion destroyed a home in southwest Missouri.
- Electrical blast in Los Angeles hurts 2, knocks out power Updated: Aug-21-15 8:55 pm
LOS ANGELES - An electric equipment explosion shook a 19-story office building in downtown Los Angeles, sending two people to the hospital and leaving a dozen surrounding buildings without power for much of Friday.
- Mayor: Gas explosion at New York school caused by lit match Updated: Aug-21-15 5:07 pm
NEW YORK - An explosion that blew a gaping hole in the side of a high school just days before classes were to begin was touched off when a worker tested a gas line by lighting a match, the mayor said Friday.
- AP Exclusive: China blast site owner on state firm's board Updated: Aug-21-15 1:05 am
SHANGHAI - The man unveiled as principal owner of the warehouses at the center of deadly blasts in Tianjin also is on the board of a state-owned company that is ultimately controlled by the same powerful entity investigating the explosions, an Associated Press review of public documents found.
- Tianjin's deadly blasts expose China's work safety woes Updated: Aug-20-15 1:58 am
BEIJING - By official data, China is becoming safer from accidents year after year. But the explosions over the Tianjin port last week are a stark reminder that it has far to go in preventing workplace disasters - from blasts on factory floors to leaks of oil pipes and warehouse fires.
- Manager credited with saving dozens in massive motel blast Updated: Aug-19-15 8:43 pm
SEATTLE - A fast-acting manager who evacuated a Washington motel minutes before a massive explosion is being credited with saving dozens of lives, including some who were staying in rooms that were reduced to rubble.
- The Latest: Gas company IDs worker hurt in motel explosion Updated: Aug-19-15 7:55 pm
BREMERTON, Washington - The latest on an explosion that leveled part of motel in Washington state (all times local):
- UN expert slams China on chemical blast secrecy Updated: Aug-19-15 4:07 pm
GENEVA - A U.N. human rights expert has criticized China for its lack of transparency in handling a chemical blast in the northeastern city of Tianjin.
- 1 dead after chemical tank explosion at fertilizer plant Updated: Aug-19-15 3:23 pm
BAINBRIDGE, Georgia - Authorities say a man has died following a chemical tank explosion at a fertilizer plant in southwest Georgia.
- Fire erupts near Las Vegas Strip at hot air balloon business Updated: Aug-18-15 5:03 pm
LAS VEGAS - Propane tanks exploded on the ground at a hot air balloon ride business near the Las Vegas Strip on Tuesday morning, leaving a 35-year-old man hospitalized with burns to his arm and leg.
- Foreign companies around Tianjin blast suspend operations Updated: Aug-17-15 1:22 pm
SHANGHAI - Foreign companies have suspended operations around the Tianjin port as officials scramble to contain the toxic fallout of last week's deadly chemical explosions, which dealt a blow to northern China's emerging economic hub.
- Families of Chinese firefighters seek answers in port blasts Updated: Aug-17-15 10:35 am
TIANJIN, China - The rapid chain of explosions that destroyed a warehouse district in the Chinese port of Tianjin could become one of the world's deadliest disasters for fire crews, with at least 21 firefighters confirmed dead and scores of others still missing.