- Prosecutors would face high bar in filing Amtrak charges Updated: May-21-15 9:18 pm
PHILADELPHIA - The Amtrak engineer at the controls of a train that derailed in Philadelphia, killing eight people, remains the focus of an inquiry by federal transportation safety investigators. But a second probe could prove more personally devastating: Prosecutors are trying to determine if he committed a crime.
- Prosecutor: 6 officers indicted in death of Freddie Gray Updated: May-21-15 8:33 pm
BALTIMORE - A grand jury indicted all six officers charged in the case of Freddie Gray, who died of injuries he suffered in police custody, allowing the state's attorney to press ahead with the most serious charges despite criticism that she was part of an "overzealous prosecution."
- Arkansas court rules blood taken legally in DWI conviction Updated: May-21-15 7:58 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - Arkansas police would be able to obtain a warrant to take a blood test even if a person suspected of driving while intoxicated refuses a test, according to an Arkansas Supreme Court ruling released Thursday.
- New report on Attica prison riot reveals inmates were beaten Updated: May-21-15 7:19 pm
ALBANY, New York - More than 40 years after the nation's bloodiest prison rebellion, newly released documents contain accounts, some never before seen publicly, from National Guardsmen and a doctor who said they saw injured inmates beaten with clubs and others with wounds indicating they were tortured as state police and guards retook control of Attica.
- Study: Ignition interlocks effectively cuts drunk driving Updated: May-21-15 1:42 pm
LANSING, Michigan - The Michigan Supreme Court says a new study finds that requiring repeat drunken drivers to use ignition interlocks testing their breath for alcohol is effective in getting them to stay straight.
- Alleged DUI setup case involving Tampa lawyers wraps up Updated: May-21-15 11:57 am
CLEARWATER, Florida - Attorneys for three lawyers accused by the Florida Bar of tricking a rival lawyer into getting a DUI in an attempt to derail a defamation case have rested and a judge could decide the case soon.
- Autopsy shows man killed on motorcycle was intoxicated Updated: May-21-15 9:17 am
RIVERTON, Wyoming - An autopsy found a Riverton man was intoxicated when he died in a motorcycle accident west of Riverton.
- Suburban St. Louis man charged with 13th DWI after wreck Updated: May-21-15 8:28 am
FLORISSANT, Missouri - Police in the St. Louis suburb of Florissant, Missouri, say a man involved in a crash is charged with his 13th case of drunken driving.
- NY driver accused of fatal DWI crash pleads not guilty Updated: May-21-15 6:25 am
RIVERHEAD, New York - A Long Island driver has pleaded not guilty to charges alleging she killed a man in a head-on crash while driving drunk.
- Man pleads no contest to role in fatal fight at Casper hotel Updated: May-20-15 11:59 pm
CASPER, Wyoming - An Arizona man charged after a fight at a Casper hotel that left a New Mexico man dead has pleaded no contest to reckless endangerment and being an accessory after the fact.
- Jury acquits Maine man in vehicular manslaughter case Updated: May-20-15 3:53 pm
ELLSWORTH, Maine - A jury has acquitted a Maine man of vehicular manslaughter after the defense argued that prosecutors failed to show who was driving.
- Man drunk while riding 4-wheel scooter can't dodge charges Updated: May-20-15 10:47 am
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - The Michigan appeals court has reinstated charges against a man who admits he was drunk while riding a four-wheel electric scooter that can go only 4 mph.
- Escaped Alabama inmate captured in Florida Panhandle Updated: May-20-15 8:55 am
YOUNGSTOWN, Florida - Authorities say an inmate who escaped from a work center near Birmingham was arrested on a DUI charge in the Florida Panhandle.
- McDowell lawmaker pleads no contest to DUI charge Updated: May-20-15 8:22 am
WELCH, West Virginia - A McDowell County lawmaker has been fined $100 after pleading no contest to a drunken driving charge.
- Authorities: State parks employee charged with DWI in park Updated: May-20-15 6:14 am
GRAND ISLAND, New York - Authorities say a state parks employee has been arrested after he was driving drunk in a park outside Buffalo.
- Ohio man sentenced to 5 years in DUI crash that killed teen Updated: May-20-15 3:35 am
AKRON, Ohio - A northeast Ohio man was given the maximum sentence of five years in prison for driving drunk and causing a crash that killed a recent high school graduate last year.
- Man gets 4 years in prison for DUI crash that killed fiancee Updated: May-19-15 8:17 pm
FORT COLLINS, Colorado - A Red Feather Lakes man convicted of driving drunk and causing a crash that killed his fiancee has been sentenced to four years in prison.
- Officials fear $50 million at risk after Arkansas DWI ruling Updated: May-19-15 7:31 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - Arkansas is at risk of losing more than $50 million in federal highway funding after the state's highest court ruled that prosecutors must show intent in driving while intoxicated cases, a state transportation official said Tuesday.
- Sen. Reid's brother gets July 14 date in DUI, weapon case Updated: May-19-15 5:41 pm
LAS VEGAS - A lawyer entered a not-guilty plea Tuesday before a local judge on behalf of the brother of U.S. Sen. Harry Reid, and he obtained a July trial date for misdemeanor driving under the influence, battery, weapons and seatbelt charges.
- Lawmakers approve bill requiring warrant for DUI blood test Updated: May-19-15 5:05 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Nevada lawmakers have approved a measure extending more rights to motorists expected of driving under the influence.
- Man's claim that insurer to blame for crash costs rejected Updated: May-19-15 4:17 pm
OMAHA, Nebraska - A lower court was right to dismiss a man's claim that his auto insurance company should pay his costs in a wrongful death case for a crash he caused because the insurer didn't push him to have more coverage, the Nebraska Court of Appeals ruled Tuesday.
- Incoming UNI basketball recruit charged with drunken driving Updated: May-19-15 2:10 pm
AMES, Iowa - An incoming recruit for the Northern Iowa basketball team has been charged with operating under the influence.
- Firearms instructor who killed state trooper pleads guilty Updated: May-19-15 12:37 pm
NORRISTOWN, Pennsylvania - A former state police firearms instructor pleaded guilty Tuesday to reckless endangerment in a firearms training accident that killed a trooper.
- Man charged after 4 officers, teen suspect hurt in crash Updated: May-19-15 11:34 am
DETROIT - A 54-year-old man has been charged after authorities say he crashed a pickup truck into a stopped squad car, injuring four officers, a 16-year-old car break-in suspect and another person.
- Man convicted in fatal drunken driving crash arrested again Updated: May-19-15 8:17 am
LAKEVILLE, Minnesota - A man who spent time in prison for a drunken driving crash that killed three brothers in Dakota County has been arrested again on suspicion of driving while intoxicated.