- Ex-hunting TV show host sentenced in poaching case Updated: Feb-12-16 9:48 am
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - A former host of a cable TV hunting show has been sentenced to 16 months in prison for his role in a poaching operation on a remote national preserve in Alaska.
- Tanzania arrests more suspects in slaying of British pilot Updated: Feb-08-16 1:33 pm
DAR ES SALAAM, Tanzania - Police in Tanzania say they are holding a total of nine suspects over the killing of a British helicopter pilot who was on an anti-poaching mission.
- Judge rejects plea agreement for accused deer poacher Updated: Feb-04-16 12:27 pm
JACKSON, Wyoming - A Circuit Court judge has rejected a plea agreement for a man accused of killing a trophy deer in a Jackson Hole residential neighborhood.
- South African rangers seek to track rhinos in wildlife park Updated: Feb-04-16 7:19 am
KRUGER NATIONAL PARK, South Africa - A heavily pregnant rhino lay in the scrub in a South African wildlife park, sedated by rangers who attached a tracking device to the threatened animal as part of efforts to stop poaching in a country with most of the world's rhinos.
- Seattle group asks USDA to investigate elephant's death Updated: Feb-02-16 5:12 pm
SEATTLE - A Seattle-based advocacy group on Tuesday asked the U.S. Department of Agriculture to investigate the recent death of an Asian elephant at the Oklahoma City Zoo, saying it's concerned the zoo wasn't equipped to care for the animal.
- Arizona man arrested in Nevada for allegedly killing eagles Updated: Feb-02-16 3:31 pm
RENO, Nevada - A 30-year-old Arizona man has been arrested in Nevada on charges accusing him of killing two federally protected golden eagles and illegally possessing more than 120 individual eagle and hawk feathers that he reportedly told authorities he kept for religious ceremonies.
- Kansas hunting outfitters target of federal investigation Updated: Feb-02-16 3:22 pm
WICHITA, Kansas - Federal agents raided a hunting lodge in Kansas' Flint Hills as part of an investigation into allegations of illegal hunting and baiting that included the use of undercover hunters, GPS tracking of vehicles and camera surveillance, court documents show.
- Ukrainian border guards stop cigarette-smuggling horses Updated: Feb-02-16 9:40 am
KIEV, Ukraine - Ukrainian officials say they have intercepted a small herd of horses attempting to bring thousands of euros worth of contraband cigarettes across the border from Ukraine to Romania.
- Officials: 2 men accused of illegal deer transactions Updated: Jan-27-16 12:38 pm
OBERLIN, Louisiana - Officials have cited two Louisiana men accused of illegal deer transactions in Allen Parish.
- Bill would set $20,000 penalty for deer poaching Updated: Jan-27-16 10:47 am
CUMBERLAND, Maryland - Maryland state legislators are set to consider a bill that would set penalties of up to $20,000 for poaching deer on private land.
- Colombia president calls for probe into hunting of rare bear Updated: Jan-26-16 1:56 pm
BOGOTA, Colombia - Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos is asking police to investigate the illegal hunting death of an endangered bear.
- Finland to start 2nd govt-sanctioned trial wolf hunt Updated: Jan-22-16 12:00 pm
COPENHAGEN, Denmark - Beginning Saturday, Finland is holding a second government-sanctioned trial wolf hunt in what authorities say is an attempt to manage numbers and curb poaching.
- Animals at Gaza's zoos die of hunger, diseases Updated: Jan-22-16 7:41 am
RAFAH, Gaza Strip - The African tiger at the zoo in southern Gaza Strip was emaciated, its belly shrunken and its striped coat hanging loose. It strode nervously up and down its cage.
- Zimbabwe: Rangers in shootout with elephant poachers Updated: Jan-20-16 6:42 am
HARARE, Zimbabwe - Zimbabwe's wildlife authorities say rangers recovered 22 elephant tusks after a shootout with nearly a dozen suspected poachers.
- Reward offered in search for elk poachers in Oklahoma Updated: Jan-19-16 8:44 pm
TAHLEQUAH, Oklahoma - A reward is being offered in the search for the poachers who killed a popular elk at a northwestern Oklahoma nature preserve and cut off the animal's head.
- Christie OKs bill allowing oyster colonies in polluted water Updated: Jan-19-16 3:50 pm
ATLANTIC CITY, New Jersey - Gov. Chris Christie has signed a bill permitting researchers to grow oyster colonies in polluted waterways to try to improve water quality.
- Bill would prevent Wyoming from investigating some poaching Updated: Jan-19-16 12:13 pm
JACKSON, Wyoming - Wyoming lawmakers are considering a bill that would make it illegal for the state to investigate poachers or people who mistakenly shoot endangered animals.
- State police investigate poaching of 5 deer in Baker County Updated: Jan-17-16 12:21 pm
BAKER CITY, Oregon - Oregon State Police are now asking for the public's help in solving the poaching of mule deer outside of Baker City late last year.
- 2 men charged in connection with oyster poaching Updated: Jan-17-16 11:39 am
Two men have been charged with poaching oysters from a Rhode Island farm.
- Dayton renews calls for tougher penalties for worst poachers Updated: Jan-15-16 4:18 pm
BROOKLYN CENTER, Minnesota - Gov. Mark Dayton renewed his call for tougher penalties for the worst poachers Friday, saying they commit shameful and serious acts that should be treated as such under Minnesota law.
- South African ranger killed by colleague as buffalo charges Updated: Jan-15-16 11:19 am
JOHANNESBURG - A South African wildlife ranger was accidentally killed by a colleague who opened fire after they were charged by a buffalo during an anti-poaching patrol in Kruger National Park, the country's parks service said Friday.
- Southeast Texan arrested in killings of 2 whooping cranes Updated: Jan-14-16 6:23 pm
BEAUMONT, Texas - An 18-year-old man from Southeast Texas was charged Thursday with illegally shooting and killing two whooping cranes, a species which federal officials list as critically endangered.
- Conservationists welcome Hong Kong move to ban ivory trade Updated: Jan-14-16 7:09 am
JOHANNESBURG - A pledge by Hong Kong to ban its ivory trade has been welcomed by conservationists who describe it as a key step toward curbing the slaughter of African elephants.
- University professor pleads guilty to smuggling ivory Updated: Jan-13-16 6:31 pm
MINNEAPOLIS - A college professor pleaded guilty Wednesday to illegally smuggling items made of elephant ivory and agreed to pay a $500,000 fine that prosecutors say should be a deterrent to such activity.
- Idaho lawmaker denies illegally possessing elk Updated: Jan-13-16 1:06 pm
MOUNTAIN HOME, Idaho - Idaho Rep. Pete Nielsen of Mountain Home has been charged with poaching an elk in southwest Idaho.