- Elephant numbers plunge in Mozambique because of poachers Updated: May-28-15 9:47 am
JOHANNESBURG - Poachers slaughtering elephants in Mozambique cut their population almost in half from 2009 to last year, but in Uganda, elephant numbers are increasing as a result of anti-poaching measures, according to aerial surveys.
- Michigan confirms 1st case of chronic wasting in wild deer Updated: May-26-15 4:14 pm
DETROIT - Wildlife officials have confirmed Michigan's first case of chronic wasting disease in a wild deer and first of any cases in several years.
- South African rhino survives horrific attack by poachers Updated: May-25-15 1:19 pm
JOHANNESBURG - The rhino's rescuers gave her a name: Hope.
- Man fined for illegally killing golden eagle near Glasgow Updated: May-20-15 5:40 am
GREAT FALLS, Montana - A 60-year-old man who acknowledged killing a golden eagle near Glasgow must pay a $3,000 fine and $3,000 in restitution.
- Wisconsin hunter fined for killing grizzly bear Updated: May-19-15 9:52 am
HELENA, Montana - A Wisconsin man has been ordered to pay more than $2,300 for mistakenly shooting and killing a grizzly bear in northwestern Montana.
- 5 Washington men stripped of Montana hunting privileges Updated: May-18-15 7:08 am
HELENA, Montana - Five Washington state men have been stripped of hunting privileges in Montana for five years and ordered to pay $41,000 in fines and restitution for illegally shooting elk.
- Rare Florida orchids transplanted from lab onto school trees Updated: May-15-15 3:22 pm
HIALEAH, Florida - About 20 rare cowhorn orchids were returned Friday to the South Florida landscape that was once their home before suburban sprawl and over-zealous collectors nearly wiped them out.
- Authorities seek tips after bald eagle found fatally shot Updated: May-15-15 6:21 am
SALEM TOWNSHIP, Michigan - Authorities are seeking information from the public after a bald eagle was found fatally shot in Washtenaw County.
- 10 Chinese arrested for killing giant panda, selling parts Updated: May-13-15 9:23 pm
BEIJING - Police in southwestern China arrested 10 people for killing a female wild giant panda and buying and selling its parts, state media said Wednesday.
- Tomato farmer sentenced for poaching deer, growing marijuana Updated: May-12-15 12:10 pm
MARTINSBURG, West Virginia - A Hedgesville man has been ordered to serve one to five years in prison for running a large-scale deer-poaching and marijuana-growing operation.
- South African park reports increase in poacher arrests Updated: May-08-15 9:26 am
JOHANNESBURG - Park rangers in South Africa detained 28 suspected poachers in April in the country's main wildlife park, a sharp increase over the detention rate of previous months, an official said Thursday.
- Group increases reward for info on deer poaching Updated: May-07-15 11:55 am
AUGUSTA, Maine - Operation Game Thief is increasing its reward offer for anyone who provides information leading to the conviction of deer poachers in four Maine towns.
- State moves forward with oyster research for cleaner water Updated: May-04-15 7:44 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - New Jersey has taken a step toward allowing experimental oyster colony research projects to be placed in polluted waterways to help clean the water, despite concerns by the state Environmental Protection Department that poachers might steal and sell them, potentially sickening customers and damaging the state's $800 million shellfish industry.
- Republic of Congo, Chad presidents set fire to ivory Updated: Apr-29-15 2:26 pm
BRAZZAVILLE, Republic of Congo - The presidents of Republic of Congo and Chad on Wednesday set fire to five tons of ivory seized from poachers, using seized timber, to mark their commitment to the fight against poaching on the continent.