- Kansas school funding fight far from over Updated: Mar-09-14 1:29 pm
- Kansas high court: School funding unconstitutional Updated: Mar-07-14 6:34 pm
- Speaker: Ky. House likely to accept higher ed cuts Updated: Mar-07-14 3:51 pm
- Kansas court to issue school finance ruling Updated: Mar-06-14 5:08 pm
- Illinois universities warn of perils if budget cut Updated: Mar-06-14 4:26 pm
- 35 Vt. communities reject school budgets Updated: Mar-05-14 5:46 pm
- House budget chief seeks two-tier school funding Updated: Mar-05-14 5:12 pm
- Bentley won't sign budget without teacher raise Updated: Mar-05-14 2:32 pm
- House passes supplemental budget Updated: Mar-04-14 10:26 pm
- Agency-by-agency summary of Obama budget Updated: Mar-04-14 11:47 am
- Advocates says NY schools tour shows funding lack Updated: Mar-03-14 6:42 pm
- Colorado tries to revive education overhaul Updated: Mar-03-14 5:09 pm
- Record number of students jump schools in Ohio Updated: Mar-03-14 9:53 am
- SD Legislature considers extra school funding Updated: Mar-02-14 1:59 pm
- Vt. residents head to town meeting day next week Updated: Mar-01-14 2:37 pm
- Ala. education budget exceeds GOP's cap law Updated: Feb-28-14 7:35 pm
- Jindal budget $15M short on student growth money Updated: Feb-28-14 7:10 pm
- Alabama Senate passes education budget with bonus Updated: Feb-27-14 6:29 pm
- Mo. Senate backs limits on governor's budget cuts Updated: Feb-27-14 1:05 pm
- Christie pushes pension changes at town hall Updated: Feb-26-14 12:59 pm
- Another WA education funding plan joins the mix Updated: Feb-25-14 3:21 pm
- Budget calls for more aid to NJ school districts Updated: Feb-25-14 2:41 pm
- Kansas House panel adopts higher education budgets Updated: Feb-24-14 7:43 pm
- Fairfax chief uses staff cuts to raise teacher pay Updated: Feb-23-14 12:02 pm
- Medicaid expansion bill opens new political attack Updated: Feb-22-14 11:10 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas Supreme Court has settled some immediate issues over public school funding, but it left for another day the biggest issue - how much more money, if any, legislators must spend on education.
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas must spend more money on its public schools, the state Supreme Court ruled Friday in a decision that could jeopardize Republican Gov. Sam Brownback's desire to make his state a tax-cutting template for the nation.
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - Kentucky House members working on the next state budget have been unable to find money to restore cuts to higher education that the governor proposed, House Speaker Greg Stumbo said Friday.
TOPEKA, Kansas - Months of speculation and anxiety over the fate of the funding of Kansas public schools will become clearer Friday when the state Supreme Court issues a ruling in case that has dragged on for nearly four years.
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Illinois' public university presidents Thursday spelled out a doomsday scenario of cuts should the state's temporary tax increase expire as scheduled next January, a move they say would disproportionately affect the number of low-income students while others flee to schools outside the state.
MONTPELIER, Vermont - About 35 Vermont communities have rejected their school budgets this year, according to a tally Wednesday from the Vermont School Boards Association, whose executive director sees half of those defeats as statements against rising property tax rates.
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - A state funding increase for public schools would be partly dependent upon a strong economy under a new spending plan outlined Wednesday by the top budget writer in the Missouri House.
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Gov. Robert Bentley says he won't sign the education budget unless it includes a 2 percent pay raise for teachers and public education employees.
OLYMPIA, Washington - The House approved a supplemental budget Tuesday that would restore cost-of-living increases for teachers and put additional money into the state's public education system.
Agency: Health and Human Services
ALBANY, New York - Increased class sizes and staff cuts despite higher enrollments in 14 school districts across the state show New York is failing to adequately fund public education, advocates and lawmakers said Monday.
DENVER - Colorado lawmakers started work Monday on what may be the Legislature's trickiest job of the year: Crafting an education overhaul without $1 billion a year in new taxes.
AKRON, Ohio - Nearly 72,000 public school students in Ohio sought education in another school district last year, making 2013 a record year for students transferring outside of their home districts as part of the state's open-enrollment process.
PIERRE, South Dakota - State tax revenues have faltered a bit lately, and legislative leaders said that might make it difficult to boost education funding beyond what the governor proposed.
MONTPELIER, Vermont - Vermonters will take on budgeting, elections and issues like energy and public banks this town meeting day.
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama's Republican governor and some Republican legislators are looking at maneuvering around one of the campaign promises that their party used to win control of the Legislature four years ago.
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Gov. Bobby Jindal's budget proposal is $15 million short of what the Department of Education expects will be needed to cover growth in student enrollment at public schools next year, the state superintendent said Friday.
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - The Alabama Senate approved an education budget Thursday that would fund a one-time bonus of 1 percent for public school employees, add middle school teachers and expand Alabama's pre-kindergarten program.
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Missouri governors would be barred from making budget cuts to schools under a proposed constitutional amendment passed by the Senate.
LONG HILL, New Jersey - New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie said he would take "more extreme measures" to contain escalating public worker retirement costs if Democrats who control the Legislature refuse to negotiate additional pension changes.
SEATTLE - Another government proposal for increasing state dollars for Washington public schools was dropped into the already overloaded cart on Tuesday.
TRENTON, New Jersey - Gov. Chris Christie wants to give more aid to all New Jersey public school districts and give schools extra money to experiment with longer school days or hours.
TOPEKA, Kansas - Public colleges and universities in Kansas would get $44 million more over the next two years as part of a proposal a House budget committee approved Monday that would restore some salary funding, boost research programs and expand construction projects.
FAIRFAX, Virginia - Fairfax County schools Superintendent Karen Garza has a history of cutting costs in order to give teachers raises, setting the stage for her budget priorities this year.
ATLANTA - More than half of this year's legislative session was already over when the House leadership filed a bill with little fanfare but big political ramifications.