- Analysis adds fuel to fight over Illinois school funding Updated: May-04-16 7:32 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Gov. Bruce Rauner's administration on Wednesday released an analysis of a Democratic plan to change the way Illinois funds education, prompting more Republican criticism that it's a "major bailout" for Chicago Public Schools and fueling an increasingly contentious election-year fight.
- Senate returns $7.5B budget that includes 4 percent raises Updated: May-04-16 7:15 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The South Carolina Senate has approved a $7.5 billion state budget that puts an additional $300 million into K-12 education, covers the state's expenses from last fall's historic flooding and provides $40 million in grants to flood-devastated farmers.
- School leaders protest budget cuts to Wyoming education Updated: May-04-16 6:38 pm
CHEYENNE, Wyoming - A coalition of school districts and other groups have told Wyoming lawmakers that cuts to K-12 schools enacted during this year's legislative session are not fair and are resulting in school closures and teacher layoffs.
- High court: Ohio can retroactively alter funding for schools Updated: May-04-16 3:34 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio can retroactively change funding for school districts and other political subdivisions, the state Supreme Court ruled on Wednesday.
- The Latest: Arizona House passes $9.6 billion budget Updated: May-04-16 6:04 am
PHOENIX - The Latest on Arizona's budget (all times local):
- Arizona Legislature passes $9.6 billion budget Updated: May-04-16 5:52 am
PHOENIX - The Arizona Legislature has passed a $9.6 billion budget after debating a package that left out a health insurance program for children of the working poor that supportive Republicans failed to include in the proposal.
- Hawaii's $13.7B budget funds housing, health, schools Updated: May-03-16 8:11 pm
HONOLULU - Hawaii lawmakers have passed the state's $13.7 billion budget for 2017, providing funding for affordable housing development, new classroom facilities and the Department of Hawaiian Home Lands.
- Superintendent: Jackson Public Schools in financial crisis Updated: May-03-16 1:34 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - The Jackson Public Schools district is facing a financial crisis prompted by decreased state funding, the schools superintendent said.
- Long Island's first science-focused high school is closing Updated: May-03-16 6:38 am
SYOSSET, New York - Long Island's first science-focused high school is slated to close in June due to a $1 million budget gap and low enrollment.
- Kanawha County schools dropping 90 positions Updated: Apr-29-16 1:41 pm
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - Kanawha County's school system is planning to have about 90 fewer positions next fiscal year because of a shrinking budget, but officials said most of the position cuts will not result in job losses.
- House again approves DC private school voucher program Updated: Apr-29-16 11:54 am
WASHINGTON - The House has voted again to reauthorize the nation's only federally funded private school voucher program, which is open to students in the District of Columbia.
- Arizona Republicans want funding for Koch-backed schools Updated: Apr-28-16 6:18 pm
PHOENIX - Arizona's Republican leaders have proposed earmarking millions of dollars for programs at the state's public universities that are backed by billionaire Republican donor Charles Koch.
- UND eliminating 138 positions to meet budget allotments Updated: Apr-28-16 5:12 pm
FARGO, North Dakota - The University of North Dakota plans to eliminate 138 faculty, staff and administration positions to help meet budget cuts ordered by the governor, the school's interim president told state Board of Higher Education members Thursday.
- Dayton revises budget to fund counselors, pre-K facilities Updated: Apr-28-16 2:41 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Gov. Mark Dayton has revised his state budget proposal to increase the number school counselors in Minnesota and help schools pay for preschool facilities.
- Oklahoma college presidents warn lawmakers about dire budget Updated: Apr-27-16 6:07 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - College and university presidents from across Oklahoma urged lawmakers Wednesday to ease cuts to higher education as the state grapples with a $1.3 billion hole in next fiscal year's budget.
- Missouri governor approves higher education funding boost Updated: Apr-27-16 3:39 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Gov. Jay Nixon has signed a higher education budget that will result in a tuition freeze at public universities.
- Business leaders call for more early education funding Updated: Apr-27-16 2:52 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Illinois business leaders say they want the state to invest more money in early education to meet the demands of a growing job market centered on math and science.
- House OKs $16.2B education budget with more for schools Updated: Apr-26-16 7:27 pm
LANSING, Michigan - The Michigan House approved a $16.2 billion education budget Tuesday with modest-to-healthy funding boosts for schools and colleges and additional money to help rescue Detroit's ailing district - the first spending bill to clear either chamber as lawmakers accelerate work on the budget before a self-imposed deadline of early June.
- House GOP takes first turn in setting budget surplus plans Updated: Apr-25-16 9:53 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - The Republican-controlled Minnesota House passed a spending package Monday for public schools and universities that includes some small increases without dipping into the state's $900 million budget surplus.
- The Latest: Minnesota House passes education budget bill Updated: Apr-25-16 9:46 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - The Latest on Minnesota's education budget (all times local):
- Illinois governor signs $600M university funding package Updated: Apr-25-16 3:35 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Gov. Bruce Rauner has signed legislation authorizing $600 million in emergency funding to keep major Illinois universities operating until fall.
- Illinois impasse sparks fears of the unthinkable: No school Updated: Apr-25-16 12:52 pm
HARRISBURG, Illinois - School officials in Illinois are worried that lawmakers' nearly yearlong fight over a state budget could spill into summer and force some districts to close their doors in the fall.
- Man creates 25,755-brick Nebraska Capitol with Legos Updated: Apr-24-16 11:16 am
LINCOLN, Nebraska - He started in grad school, buying bulk bags of tan bricks when his budget allowed and piecing them together over the course of five years.
- Wolf lets last budget bill become law without his signature Updated: Apr-22-16 7:58 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - Legislation directing the distribution of $200 million to Pennsylvania's public school districts and authorizing up to $2.5 billion in borrowing for the state share of school construction costs will take effect Monday, the governor's office said.
- The Latest: Illinois universities grateful; say more needed Updated: Apr-22-16 3:32 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - The Latest on the Illinois Legislature's plan to fund higher education and other legislative issues (all times local):