- Corbett ramps up pitch to education, women voters Updated: Apr-24-14 8:40 pm
- Iowa House, Senate OK higher ed funding increase Updated: Apr-23-14 10:41 pm
- Bill to dedicate $600M for Oklahoma schools passes Updated: Apr-23-14 7:23 pm
- Atlanta Public Schools approves record budget Updated: Apr-23-14 6:46 am
- Arizona, NH to get federal education funding Updated: Apr-22-14 4:55 pm
- Oklahoma faces budget crisis despite economic boom Updated: Apr-22-14 4:22 pm
- Iowa lawmakers continue session without per diems Updated: Apr-22-14 2:44 pm
- Lawmakers plan to power through on education Updated: Apr-21-14 6:37 am
- Democrats: Illinois schools could face major cuts Updated: Apr-18-14 7:08 pm
- Schauer releases plan to raise education funding Updated: Apr-16-14 7:27 pm
- Ky. lawmakers finish work highlighted by budget Updated: Apr-16-14 2:24 pm
- Colorado budget finalized, sent to governor Updated: Apr-15-14 5:23 pm
- 2 east Arkansas schools receive federal funds Updated: Apr-14-14 10:01 am
- School budget elections disappearing in New Jersey Updated: Apr-12-14 10:49 am
- Gov. Jan Brewer signs budget but vetoes some items Updated: Apr-11-14 8:46 pm
- Ala. governor signs education budget without raise Updated: Apr-11-14 12:46 pm
- Kansas Regents pleased with budget bill Updated: Apr-09-14 2:59 pm
- School funding plan advances in Illinois Senate Updated: Apr-08-14 3:11 pm
- Missouri budget includes $750K for school safety Updated: Apr-08-14 5:04 am
- Mo. Senate panel backs 5 percent college increase Updated: Apr-07-14 3:34 pm
- Alaska Editorials Updated: Apr-07-14 1:29 pm
- Change could be ahead for Vermont school funding Updated: Apr-06-14 11:34 am
- Florida St faces investigation after Winston case Updated: Apr-04-14 8:11 pm
- Bentley has until April 13 to sign budget Updated: Apr-04-14 7:45 pm
- Loudoun Co. considers closing 4 schools Updated: Apr-04-14 8:50 am
MEDIA, Pennsylvania - Gov. Tom Corbett is attacking two of his weakest polling points, his job approval by women voters and his efforts on education, with possibly just token opposition in the Republican primary and the general election looming less than seven months away.
DES MOINES, Iowa - The Iowa House and Senate have approved an education budget that should let higher education officials freeze tuition for a second-straight year.
OKLAHOMA CITY - A plan to eventually boost public school funding in Oklahoma by $600 million each year cleared the Oklahoma Senate on Wednesday, although the final details still need to be negotiated.
ATLANTA - Atlanta's public school system has approved a record $658 million budget.
PHOENIX - Efforts to turn around Arizona's persistently low-performing schools will be getting a $10 million boost from the federal government.
OKLAHOMA CITY - Oklahoma's oil patch is booming, its capital city is thriving and the unemployment rate is falling, testifying to the state's roaring recovery from the recession.
DES MOINES, Iowa - Iowa lawmakers have work to complete before adjournment, but they'll have to finish up without daily payments for their expenses.
JUNEAU, Alaska - After blowing past midnight on what was supposed to be the last day of session, Alaska lawmakers planned to plow on with their work on Monday in a bid to resolve their differences on education.
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Most of Illinois' 860 school districts would see cuts in funding if the state's temporary tax increase is rolled back as scheduled, according to a document being circulated as part of Illinois Democrats' campaign to preserve the tax hike and push to update the state's school funding formula.
LANSING, Michigan - Democratic gubernatorial candidate Mark Schauer said Wednesday he would make education his top budget priority, but didn't specify how much he'd spend on schools or universities.
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - Kentucky lawmakers boosted state funding for schools, revamped the juvenile justice system to lock up fewer kids and legalized a medicinal oil derived from marijuana to ease the suffering of children stricken with seizures.
DENVER - Colorado lawmakers on Tuesday approved a $23 billion budget, sending to the governor a spending plan for next year that pours more money into public education and funds an aerial firefighting fleet.
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - Two schools in eastern Arkansas have received a combined $6 million in federal School Improvement Grant funds.
TRENTON, New Jersey - Just a few years ago, April school elections were a key date on New Jersey's political calendar, the time most of the state's voters had - but ignored - the chance to say yes or no to property tax increases.
PHOENIX - Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer on Friday signed the Legislature's $9.23 billion budget for the fiscal year starting July 1, calling it principled and fiscally prudent and a step in the right direction because it adds spending for child welfare services.
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Gov. Robert Bentley signed the education budget for the next fiscal year on Friday even though it did not include the 2 percent raise that he sought for teachers and school employees.
TOPEKA, Kansas - Leaders of the Kansas Board of Regents are pleased with legislative approval of a higher education budget that partly restores salary cuts imposed last year.
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - A proposal to dramatically overhaul the state's school funding formula and allocate more money to poorer districts moved ahead in the Illinois Senate on Tuesday. The regionally divisive issue, however, likely faces a tough road in gaining support from both parties in both chambers.
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Missouri schools could get state money for training on how to respond to shooting incidents.
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Missouri's public universities and community colleges could get a 5 percent funding increase under a budget plan embraced by a Senate committee.
Here is a sampling of editorial opinions from Alaska newspapers:
MONTPELIER, Vermont - Prospects appear to be dimming for big changes in how Vermont governs and pays for its public schools this year.
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - A federal query into whether Florida State University adequately investigated whether Heisman Trophy-winner Jameis Winston sexually assaulted another student could result in the school losing federal funding, but history suggests a settlement will be reached instead, officials said Friday.
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Gov. Robert Bentley hasn't decided if he will sign the state's Education Trust Fund budget without the teacher raise he sought, or if he will veto it and force lawmakers into a special session.
ASHBURN, Virginia - Loudoun County school officials will consider closing four small schools in the western part of the county to help close a budget gap.