- Committee approves budget without teacher bonus Updated: Mar-12-14 2:19 pm
- Gov. Haley thanks House for education budget Updated: Mar-12-14 2:07 pm
- Kansas Senate panel delays education reviews Updated: Mar-12-14 1:58 pm
- School funding for 2015 again shot down in House Updated: Mar-12-14 1:00 pm
- Gov. Susana Martinez signs $6B state budget Updated: Mar-11-14 6:21 pm
- No money for school tech plan in Utah budget Updated: Mar-11-14 2:49 pm
- State superintendent: education cuts 'devastating' Updated: Mar-11-14 1:08 pm
- House budget would let schools forgive 10 days Updated: Mar-10-14 7:23 pm
- Kansas school funding fight far from over Updated: Mar-09-14 1:29 pm
- Kansas high court: School funding unconstitutional Updated: Mar-07-14 6:34 pm
- Kansas court to issue school finance ruling Updated: Mar-06-14 5:08 pm
- Illinois universities warn of perils if budget cut Updated: Mar-06-14 4:26 pm
- 35 Vt. communities reject school budgets Updated: Mar-05-14 5:46 pm
- Bentley won't sign budget without teacher raise Updated: Mar-05-14 2:32 pm
- House passes supplemental budget Updated: Mar-04-14 10:26 pm
- Agency-by-agency summary of Obama budget Updated: Mar-04-14 11:47 am
- Advocates says NY schools tour shows funding lack Updated: Mar-03-14 6:42 pm
- Colorado tries to revive education overhaul Updated: Mar-03-14 5:09 pm
- Record number of students jump schools in Ohio Updated: Mar-03-14 9:53 am
- SD Legislature considers extra school funding Updated: Mar-02-14 1:59 pm
- Vt. residents head to town meeting day next week Updated: Mar-01-14 2:37 pm
- Ala. education budget exceeds GOP's cap law Updated: Feb-28-14 7:35 pm
- Jindal budget $15M short on student growth money Updated: Feb-28-14 7:10 pm
- Mo. Senate backs limits on governor's budget cuts Updated: Feb-27-14 1:05 pm
- Christie pushes pension changes at town hall Updated: Feb-26-14 12:59 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - A House committee has voted to do away with a proposed bonus for education employees and instead put the money toward that group's health insurance costs.
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Gov. Nikki Haley says the House budget takes a historic step in providing a good education to all South Carolina students.
TOPEKA, Kansas - A Kansas Senate committee delayed Wednesday's expected discussion of education budgets to allow for more time to study last week's ruling from the state Supreme Court on public schools.
DES MOINES, Iowa - House Democrats have tried once again to push Republicans to debate a bill that would provide school districts with a 6 percent increase in funding for the fiscal year beginning July 1, 2015.
RIO RANCHO, New Mexico - Gov. Susana Martinez signed a $6 billion state budget on Tuesday, but she eliminated pay raises for judges, district attorneys and appointed government workers.
SALT LAKE CITY - Utah legislators closed in Tuesday on a $13 billion-plus state budget after negotiating over the weekend and abandoning a pricey school technology initiative that had stalled talks.
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - The head of the Illinois State Board of Education says proposed cuts in education funding could be "devastating" to school districts, which need more - not less - money.
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - Since Christmas, Lawrence County public school students have attended school only 15 days due to severe winter weather, putting pressure on educators to meet state-mandated attendance requirements while also allowing students a summer vacation.
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas Supreme Court has settled some immediate issues over public school funding, but it left for another day the biggest issue - how much more money, if any, legislators must spend on education.
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas must spend more money on its public schools, the state Supreme Court ruled Friday in a decision that could jeopardize Republican Gov. Sam Brownback's desire to make his state a tax-cutting template for the nation.
TOPEKA, Kansas - Months of speculation and anxiety over the fate of the funding of Kansas public schools will become clearer Friday when the state Supreme Court issues a ruling in case that has dragged on for nearly four years.
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Illinois' public university presidents Thursday spelled out a doomsday scenario of cuts should the state's temporary tax increase expire as scheduled next January, a move they say would disproportionately affect the number of low-income students while others flee to schools outside the state.
MONTPELIER, Vermont - About 35 Vermont communities have rejected their school budgets this year, according to a tally Wednesday from the Vermont School Boards Association, whose executive director sees half of those defeats as statements against rising property tax rates.
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Gov. Robert Bentley says he won't sign the education budget unless it includes a 2 percent pay raise for teachers and public education employees.
OLYMPIA, Washington - The House approved a supplemental budget Tuesday that would restore cost-of-living increases for teachers and put additional money into the state's public education system.
Agency: Health and Human Services
ALBANY, New York - Increased class sizes and staff cuts despite higher enrollments in 14 school districts across the state show New York is failing to adequately fund public education, advocates and lawmakers said Monday.
DENVER - Colorado lawmakers started work Monday on what may be the Legislature's trickiest job of the year: Crafting an education overhaul without $1 billion a year in new taxes.
AKRON, Ohio - Nearly 72,000 public school students in Ohio sought education in another school district last year, making 2013 a record year for students transferring outside of their home districts as part of the state's open-enrollment process.
PIERRE, South Dakota - State tax revenues have faltered a bit lately, and legislative leaders said that might make it difficult to boost education funding beyond what the governor proposed.
MONTPELIER, Vermont - Vermonters will take on budgeting, elections and issues like energy and public banks this town meeting day.
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama's Republican governor and some Republican legislators are looking at maneuvering around one of the campaign promises that their party used to win control of the Legislature four years ago.
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Gov. Bobby Jindal's budget proposal is $15 million short of what the Department of Education expects will be needed to cover growth in student enrollment at public schools next year, the state superintendent said Friday.
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Missouri governors would be barred from making budget cuts to schools under a proposed constitutional amendment passed by the Senate.
LONG HILL, New Jersey - New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie said he would take "more extreme measures" to contain escalating public worker retirement costs if Democrats who control the Legislature refuse to negotiate additional pension changes.