- ACLU sues to block sweeping Nevada education funding program Updated: Aug-27-15 8:56 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - A Nevada education funding program that's considered the nation's broadest school choice initiative attracted its first legal challenge Thursday, with three civil liberties groups saying it violates the state constitution by releasing public funds to religious schools.
- Chicago school board passes $5.7 billion spending plan Updated: Aug-26-15 9:41 pm
CHICAGO - The Chicago Board of Education has passed a budget based on borrowing and hope the state of Illinois will come through with additional funding.
- Mediation between Legislature, schools on funding suit fails Updated: Aug-25-15 8:28 pm
PHOENIX - Mediators pulled the plug on seven months of court-led settlement talks Tuesday between Arizona public school districts and the Legislature that were designed to end a yearslong lawsuit over the lawmakers' failure to make required inflation-based increases in school funding.
- Coalition of groups sues Halifax commissioners over schools Updated: Aug-24-15 7:22 pm
HALIFAX, North Carolina - A coalition of advocacy groups and the parents of three children filed a lawsuit against the Halifax County commissioners Monday claiming the school system they created divides children along racial lines into "good" and "bad" school districts.
- School safety grant program cut in new Indiana budget Updated: Aug-24-15 3:31 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - A state grant program aimed at helping Indiana school districts hire police officers and buy safety equipment has less than half the amount of money to give out than when it was started two years ago.
- Meehan: UMass may lobby for more funding for med school Updated: Aug-24-15 11:28 am
BOSTON - The new president of the University of Massachusetts says he would support additional state funding for the system's medical school.
- Dover sues New Hampshire over cap on education funding Updated: Aug-21-15 11:32 am
DOVER, New Hampshire - The city of Dover is suing New Hampshire over the state's cap on aid to schools, saying the limit violates a constitutional requirement that it fund an "adequate education" for every child.
- Alabama editorial roundup Updated: Aug-19-15 2:22 pm
Recent editorials from Alabama newspapers:
- Wake suspends driver's education amid budget questions Updated: Aug-19-15 7:31 am
CARY, North Carolina - Wake County schools are suspending driver's education programs because of questions about state funding.
- Initiative debate centers on judge's role in Miss. budget Updated: Aug-18-15 1:11 pm
TUPELO, Mississippi - Debate is continuing at meetings across the state over proposed school funding initiatives that voters will decide this November.
- Idaho school districts face budget woes due to levy system Updated: Aug-18-15 5:07 am
LEWISTON, Idaho - School districts in Idaho are facing major budget shortages as the supplemental levies they depend on for funding have been struck down by voters.
- Inslee, lawmakers meet to discuss court sanctions Updated: Aug-17-15 8:53 pm
SEATAC, Washington - Gov. Jay Inslee on Monday encouraged legislative leaders to work with him on coming up with a plan to comply with a Supreme Court order on education funding. But he said there's no timeframe yet to call lawmakers into special session until they reach an agreement that could quickly be passed by both chambers.
- Washington state gets failing grade on school funding Updated: Aug-14-15 1:55 pm
SEATTLE - Washington state is being fined $100,000 a day by the state Supreme Court because justices say lawmakers have failed to adequately pay to educate the state's 1 million school children.
- Court fines Washington state over education funding Updated: Aug-14-15 4:19 am
OLYMPIA, Washington - Washington officials are considering a special legislative session after the state Supreme Court issued daily fines a of $100,000 until lawmakers comply with a court order to improve the way the state pays for its basic education system.
- High court considers public funds for private school books Updated: Aug-13-15 2:56 pm
SANTA FE, New Mexico - The New Mexico Supreme Court heard arguments over the state's practice of buying textbooks for private and religious schools, which critics said has robbed public schools of nearly $2 million a year.
- UW trustees approve medical education budget request Updated: Aug-13-15 10:40 am
LARAMIE, Wyoming - The University of Wyoming Board of Trustees has approved a budget request for the UW medical school.
- Educators: Legislature not serious about funding Updated: Aug-12-15 10:04 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - Mississippi educators say they were told by legislative leaders that their school districts would be fully funded by this school year.
- Brownback urges schools to move more money into classrooms Updated: Aug-11-15 5:42 pm
WICHITA, Kansas - Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback urged school districts on Tuesday to move more money into the classroom and hold down the administrative costs of running their schools.
- Hinds judge asked to revisit school funding decision Updated: Aug-08-15 10:43 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - Some Mississippi school districts are asking a Hinds County chancery judge to reconsider his decision that legislators are not obligated to fully fund an education budget formula every year.
- Branstad touts STEM learning, defends education funding veto Updated: Aug-03-15 1:43 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Gov. Terry Branstad touted Iowa's progress with science, technology, engineering and math education Monday as he continued to defend his recent veto of some one-time education spending.
- Attempt to call special session of Legislature fails Updated: Jul-31-15 10:07 am
RAPID CITY, South Dakota - An attempt by Black Hills lawmakers to call a special session of the South Dakota Legislature to address education funding has failed.
- NC lottery nets $522 million for state education funding Updated: Jul-30-15 2:22 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The North Carolina Education Lottery surpassed records in sales and profits for the state, bringing in $522 million for education expenses in the most recent budget year, according to records released Thursday.