- Senate leader calls for audit of early childhood fund Updated: Oct-08-15 7:33 pm
PHOENIX - Senate President Andy Biggs wants Arizona's early childhood development program audited after its board voted to oppose his plan to take much of its voter-approved funding.
- Baker schools superintendent announces more layoffs Updated: Oct-07-15 10:51 am
BAKER, Louisiana - Nine more teachers and staff have been laid off from the Baker School System, according to Superintendent Herman Brister Sr..
- Ballot could confuse voters on school funding proposals Updated: Oct-06-15 6:06 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - People pushing a school funding proposal said Tuesday that Mississippi's largest county has taken an already confusing ballot format and made it worse.
- Money for school-funding issue traced to 3 big donors Updated: Oct-03-15 11:05 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - Two charities have poured $2.6 million into efforts to pass a ballot initiative that aims to guarantee public school funding in the state constitution. But where did that money come from?
- Funding for education services at detention center cut Updated: Oct-02-15 8:33 am
GREENVILLE, Mississippi - The Greenville Public School District this year won't have as much money to provide educational services for students housed at the Washington County Juvenile Detention Center.
- Charleston County schools facing surprise $18M shortfall Updated: Oct-02-15 4:31 am
CHARLESTON, South Carolina - Charleston County school board members say the school district is facing an $18 million shortfall after overestimating property-tax revenues and miscalculating payroll costs.
- The Latest: Republicans 'troubled' by spending bill veto Updated: Sep-29-15 1:12 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - The latest developments in efforts by Democratic Gov. Tom Wolf and leaders of the Pennsylvania Legislature's huge Republican majorities to break a budget stalemate that is nearing its fourth month:
- Lawmakers hint at changes after 2 universities hike tuition Updated: Sep-24-15 7:30 pm
LANSING, Michigan - Lawmakers hinted Thursday at revising how Michigan contains the cost of college tuition after two universities approved tuition and fee hikes that are more than double a target included in the state budget.
- Montana officials review state's school funding formula Updated: Sep-24-15 2:57 pm
HELENA, Montana - State lawmakers and educators are reviewing the state funding formula for education a decade after a lawsuit forced Montana to create the system.
- School funding initiative overshadows budget hearings Updated: Sep-22-15 6:18 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Mississippi's public universities and community colleges are seeking more money even as lawmakers warn that the passage of a voter initiative to increase funding for K-12 schools will mean budget cuts.
- Mississippi lawmakers hearing agencies' FY17 budget requests Updated: Sep-21-15 7:27 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Mississippi lawmakers are being asked to spend millions more dollars on education, Medicaid, mental health and other state services for the coming year.
- Colorado high court rebuffs school funding challenge Updated: Sep-21-15 4:27 pm
DENVER - A divided Colorado Supreme Court rebuffed a legal challenge Monday to how the state funds public schools, telling a parents' group that lawmakers can slash education budgets and still comply with a constitutional amendment requiring increases to funding per pupil.
- Junior college head draws fire over education funding email Updated: Sep-18-15 4:05 am
ELLISVILLE, Mississippi - A community college president has come under scrutiny for emailing other presidents to encourage them to oppose an education funding amendment and donate to a political committee.
- Va. education funding down 7 percent from 2005 Updated: Sep-15-15 11:28 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - Virginia state spending on K-12 public education dropped 7 percent since 2005, according to a new report issued by the Joint Legislative Audit and Review Commission.
- Lafourche Parish School Board approves $186 million budget Updated: Sep-15-15 8:08 am
THIBODAUX, Louisiana - Decreasing federal and state money is again the biggest challenge facing the Lafourche Parish School Board budget.
- Special session possible if group finds education solution Updated: Sep-11-15 6:58 pm
OLYMPIA, Washington - Gov. Jay Inslee said in a letter Friday to the Legislature that if a bipartisan group of lawmakers can reach a consensus by mid-November on how to address a current contempt order by the state Supreme Court on education funding, he'll call a special session at that time.
- Arizona schools chief wants $400M education funding boost Updated: Sep-11-15 3:28 pm
PHOENIX - Arizona's top education official wants the Legislature to be called into special session to immediately appropriate $400 million in new education funding.
- Seattle teacher strike keeps kids home on 1st day of school Updated: Sep-09-15 7:16 pm
SEATTLE - Thousands of Seattle teachers marched on picket lines Wednesday, striking for the first time in three decades amid increasing complaints that their salaries have not kept up with the city's booming tech economy.