- Arkansas clerk will resign over same-sex marriage licenses Updated: Jun-29-15 6:08 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - A county clerk in Arkansas announced plans to resign effective Tuesday, saying she has a moral objection to issuing same-sex marriage licenses.
- NY legislators score tax breaks, rent controls in overtime Updated: Jun-27-15 10:08 am
ALBANY, New York - As the 2015 legislative session ended in overtime last week, many New York lawmakers claimed at least partial victory for their constituents with rent controls and property tax breaks.
- Former Illinois US Rep. Mel Reynolds indicted on tax charges Updated: Jun-26-15 4:15 pm
CHICAGO - A former U.S. congressman from Illinois who has been in legal trouble before is in legal trouble again - this time for allegedly not filing required federal tax returns for consecutive years.
- Springfield bishop calls gay marriage ruling a 'misfortune' Updated: Jun-26-15 12:50 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Springfield Bishop Thomas Paprocki calls the U.S. Supreme Court ruling legalizing gay marriage a "misfortune."
- Satanic group's suit: Missouri abortion law violates beliefs Updated: Jun-24-15 12:10 pm
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - A group of Satanic worshippers are suing Missouri's governor and attorney general in federal court, alleging that the state's abortion restrictions violate their religious beliefs and should be scrapped.
- Norman city attorney says mayor broke ethics guidelines Updated: Jun-24-15 11:01 am
NORMAN, Oklahoma - The city attorney in Norman says Mayor Cindy Rosenthal violated ethics guidelines she helped write when she agreed to put her name and title on a flier touting a fundraising event for a candidate in this weekend's Cherokee Nation election.
- Audit: Attorney general's office needs more accountability Updated: Jun-23-15 7:16 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - As two former Utah attorneys general face charges of accepting improper gifts and other charges, Utah's top law enforcement office needs to be more transparent and offer whistleblower employees a way to anonymously report office wrongdoing, according to a report released Tuesday.
- Kentucky Legislature resolves sexual harassment lawsuit Updated: Jun-23-15 6:44 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - Kentucky's legislative leaders have reached a settlement with three state workers who filed sexual harassment lawsuits involving Democratic lawmakers, and taxpayers will likely have to pay the bill.
- Fort Hood pushes jobs for soldiers easing into civilian life Updated: Jun-22-15 6:11 pm
FORT HOOD, Texas - Each year about 11,000 soldiers depart the post at Fort Hood, stepping back into the civilian life and the private workforce.
- Ethics panel to continue probe of 2013 Azerbaijan trip Updated: Jun-22-15 4:00 pm
WASHINGTON - The House Ethics Committee said Monday it is continuing an investigation of nine members of Congress who went on a 2013 trip to Azerbaijan paid for by that country's government.
- Loophole sinks ethics reforms vetoed by Texas Gov. Abbott Updated: Jun-20-15 8:58 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Republican Gov. Greg Abbott dealt a final blow Saturday to his own pledges to tighten Texas' loose ethics rules, vetoing two reform bills poisoned by a last-minute rider that would have given lawmakers cover to hide their spouses' financial dealings.
- Arrests, leadership changes mean hard year for lawmakers Updated: Jun-20-15 2:13 pm
ALBANY, New York - For decades, it was the way Albany did business: The governor and the two legislative bosses gathered behind closed doors to hammer out deals affecting millions of New Yorkers.
- As budget showdown looms, corruption probe quietly ends Updated: Jun-20-15 10:53 am
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - As Pennsylvania lawmakers brace for the annual clash over how to spend billions of taxpayer dollars, the final chapter in a starker government drama is quietly playing out in the state prison system.
- Pope Francis' climate message fails to move GOP Updated: Jun-19-15 10:02 am
WASHINGTON - Pope Francis' call for dramatic action on climate change drew a round of shrugs from congressional Republicans, while a number of the party's presidential candidates ignored it entirely.
- Pope challenges world to clean up its filth Updated: Jun-19-15 3:55 am
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis' plea to make the state of the environment a central moral issue of our age has been greeted with applause from climate activists and a wide range of church, science and government leaders, but dismissive shrugs from those who doubt climate change.
- Former Rep. Fagan settles ethics violations complaint Updated: Jun-18-15 6:29 pm
OLYMPIA, Washington - Former Rep. Susan Fagan has agreed to settle a complaint with the Legislative Ethics Board on allegations that she falsified travel expense forms.
- Voter ID protests at state legislature lead to more arrests Updated: Jun-17-15 7:39 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The state NAACP president and nine others were arrested Wednesday evening during a demonstration against a North Carolina voter identification law inside the Legislative Building.
- No charges after federal probe into Kansas election loans Updated: Jun-17-15 6:35 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Federal prosecutors have completed their investigation into loans made to Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback's re-election campaign by his lieutenant governor and plan to bring no criminal charges, the U.S. attorney's office said Wednesday.
- Watchdog group files complaint against Guinta over finances Updated: Jun-16-15 4:57 pm
CONCORD, New Hampshire - A government watchdog group on Tuesday asked the Office of Congressional Ethics to investigate whether Republican U.S. Rep. Frank Guinta violated U.S. House rules or federal law.
- John Schaaf to head Kentucky Legislative Ethics Commission Updated: Jun-16-15 4:10 am
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - The Kentucky Legislative Ethics Commission's legal counsel has been chosen as its next executive director.
- Oregon governor signs bill demanding public records audit Updated: Jun-15-15 7:34 pm
SALEM, Oregon - Gov. Kate Brown has signed a bill directing the secretary of state to review Oregon's public records law and recommend improvements.
- Virginia Sen. Tim Kaine omits disclosure of Spain stay Updated: Jun-15-15 5:38 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - Sen. Tim Kaine of Virginia did not disclose that a nonprofit with close ties to a lobbying firm paid for a three-day stay at a seaside luxury resort in southern Spain until The Associated Press asked about the omission on his personal disclosure form.
- Ethics Commission launches probe into senator's activities Updated: Jun-12-15 6:55 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - The Oklahoma Ethics Commission voted Friday to launch an investigation into a state senator at the center of an embezzlement investigation for potential violation of state ethics rules.
- Ethics panel: Ex-lieutenant governor broke state law Updated: Jun-10-15 5:50 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - A Florida ethics panel concluded that former Lt. Gov. Jennifer Carroll likely broke the state's ethics law after failing to disclose money paid to a company she controlled.
- Judge: ex-NY lawmaker must pay for harassment allegations Updated: Jun-09-15 5:51 pm
ALBANY, New York - New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman is vowing to "take all appropriate action" to compel a former state lawmaker to pay a $330,000 penalty for allegedly groping and intimidating female staff members.