- Slain Navy SEAL took lessons from running track into combat Updated: May-04-16 7:04 pm
PHOENIX - In cross-country running, your team is only as fast as your slowest athlete. Slain Navy SEAL Charlie Keating IV took that to heart in his youth as a track star, turning around to cheer on his teammates after he crossed the finish line.
- McLeod blows past field to win 110 hurdles at Drake Relays Updated: Apr-30-16 8:14 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Omar McLeod started his outdoor season as dominant as he was in indoor competition, cruising past a talented field for yet another easy victory.
- Sanya Richards-Ross takes "victory lap" at Penn Relays Updated: Apr-30-16 4:52 pm
PHILADELPHIA - Sanya Richards-Ross called her final race at the Penn Relays her "victory lap." Anchoring the U.S. women's 1600 relay, the three-time Olympian and three-time gold medalist had a huge lead going into her leg, making her trot around Franklin Field in front of nearly 45,000 spectators giving her a standing ovation all the more special.
- Teacher Scott Wietecha wins 4th straight Nashville marathon Updated: Apr-30-16 4:13 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Scott Wietecha won his fourth straight St. Jude Rock 'n' Roll Nashville Marathon on Saturday with a time of 2 hours, 25 minutes, 42 seconds.
- 2-time Olympic high jumper paralyzed after backflip mishap Updated: Apr-28-16 7:25 pm
Two-time Olympic high jumper Jamie Nieto is steadily regaining sensation after a backflip gone wrong during a training session left him paralyzed.
- Two-time Olympic champion Felix Sanchez announces retirement Updated: Apr-26-16 8:16 pm
SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic - Two-time Olympic 400-meter hurdles gold medalist Felix Sanchez has announced his retirement at the age 38 and will not compete in the 2016 games in Rio de Janeiro.
- Usain Bolt to run 100m again at Golden Spike in May Updated: Apr-26-16 9:05 am
PRAGUE - Usain Bolt will run the 100 meters at the Golden Spike in the Czech city of Ostrava on May 20.
- London Marathon record for Kipchoge; Sumgong wins after fall Updated: Apr-24-16 2:50 pm
LONDON - A feat of speed by Eliud Kipchoge, rushing to a course record. A feat of fortitude by Jemima Sumgong, recovering from a painful fall to win.
- Kenya president signs law making doping criminal offense Updated: Apr-22-16 1:54 pm
NAIROBI, Kenya - Kenya's president signed a law Friday that criminalizes doping and threatens drug cheats with prison sentences.
- Gibilisco and 4 other Italians cleared of evading tests Updated: Apr-22-16 9:04 am
ROME - Retired pole vault world champion Giuseppe Gibilisco and four other Italian athletes have been cleared of evading doping tests.
- Kenya's marathon runners defend 'clean' and 'noble' sport Updated: Apr-20-16 3:00 pm
LONDON - Defending the integrity of athletics ahead of Sunday's London Marathon, Kenyan runners insisted Wednesday that they run clean and don't need to resort to doping in the pursuit of glory.
- Boston Marathon winner gives trophy to 1966 pioneer woman Updated: Apr-19-16 4:56 pm
BOSTON - Atsede Baysa learned a little about the Boston Marathon's history a few days before she ran in it, hearing how Bobbi Gibb was turned down for a spot in the 1966 event but ran anyway to show that women could handle the 26.2 miles.
- Paralympic jumper Rehm places Rio hopes on scientific study Updated: Apr-19-16 9:47 am
FRANKFURT, Germany - Paralympic long jump champion Markus Rehm hopes a scientific study will clear him to compete at the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro by finding that he has no unfair advantage over able-bodied athletes by using his carbon-fiber prosthesis.
- Ethiopian Boston Marathon winners no sure thing for Olympics Updated: Apr-19-16 2:08 am
BOSTON - The 2016 Boston Marathon was a coronation for Ethiopia, which collected its first-ever sweep of the men's and women's titles.
- The Latest: Bomb survivor runs marathon on prosthetic blade Updated: Apr-18-16 11:42 pm
BOSTON - The Latest on Monday's 120th running of the Boston Marathon (all times local):
- PHOTO GALLERY: Sights from Monday's 120th Boston Marathon Updated: Apr-18-16 8:49 pm
BOSTON - The day started with a photo finish in the men's wheelchair race after the leaders crossed the line three abreast like Chevys at Talladega.
- Festive atmosphere marks 120th Boston Marathon Updated: Apr-18-16 6:36 pm
BOSTON - They came bearing cow bells, clever signs and superhero costumes.
- Ethiopians complete 1st-ever sweep of Boston Marathon Updated: Apr-18-16 4:06 pm
BOSTON - The Ethiopians ran past the Kenyans on their way to the Boston Marathon finish line Monday and nearly swept them off the victory podium.
- South Africa: Pistorius to be sentenced in June for murder Updated: Apr-18-16 7:26 am
PRETORIA, South Africa - South Africa's former Olympic track star Oscar Pistorius appeared briefly in a Pretoria court where a judge scheduled five days in June to determine his sentence for murdering his girlfriend.
- Fast times, $16M for charity: Boston Marathon things to know Updated: Apr-17-16 1:00 pm
BOSTON - Happy birthday to the Boston Marathon, which turns 120 on Monday. (You don't look a day over 90.)
- Boston Marathon celebrates 50 years of women in the race Updated: Apr-16-16 7:49 pm
BOSTON - When Joan Benoit Samuelson was in high school in the 1970s, the longest distance she was allowed to run was a half-mile.
- Boston marks 3rd anniversary of deadly marathon bombings Updated: Apr-15-16 6:02 pm
BOSTON - Boston marked the third anniversary of the deadly 2013 marathon bombings Friday with subdued, silent remembrances.
- Putin: Meldonium not a performance-enhancing drug Updated: Apr-14-16 8:01 am
MOSCOW - Russian President Vladimir Putin waded into the debate over meldonium on Thursday, saying the banned substance should not be considered a performance-enhancing drug.
- 1st woman to finish Boston Marathon sculpts her own statue Updated: Apr-14-16 1:21 am
BOSTON - Some of the biggest names in Boston Marathon history are backing an effort to put up a statue honoring the first woman to complete the race - an accomplished sculptor who has been commissioned to create the piece.
- IAAF to allow women to compete in 50K walk for 1st time Updated: Apr-11-16 12:15 pm
MONACO - The last male-only event in track and field is opening up to women.