- Paul claims new momentum ahead of second Senate showdown Updated: May-29-15 4:44 pm
CHICAGO - A confident Rand Paul claimed new momentum Friday in his fight against government surveillance programs, just days ahead of his second Capitol Hill showdown in as many weeks.
- Bill Clinton: Foundation remains a nonpartisan charity Updated: May-29-15 2:15 pm
WASHINGTON - Former President Bill Clinton is defending the work of his global foundation, telling donors it remains a nonpartisan philanthropy and likening recent critiques of the charity to political attacks.
- Christie backing away from Common Core in New Jersey Updated: May-28-15 7:50 pm
PEMBERTON, New Jersey - New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie announced Thursday that he is ordering his state to back away from the Common Core school standards that he once championed but that are hugely unpopular among conservative voters across the country.
- Wisconsin governor: Obama power plant rule 'unworkable' Updated: May-28-15 7:24 pm
WASHINGTON - Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker, a Republican eyeing a presidential run in 2016, says President Barack Obama's plan to reduce pollution from coal-fired power plants is "unworkable."
- Bush suggests literature, from Bible to historical thriller Updated: May-28-15 4:38 pm
LANSING, Michigan - Jeb Bush is taking a break from questions about health care, immigration and Middle East policy to toss off some of his memorable reads, during a visit to Michigan.
- Bill Clinton hopes to keep working - whatever Hillary does Updated: May-28-15 2:27 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Former U.S. President Bill Clinton made an impassioned appeal Thursday for modern health care in the Ebola-stricken countries of West Africa where his foundation works. He told The Associated Press afterward he hopes to keep working in Africa and elsewhere - regardless of what happens politically with his wife, Hillary.
- O'Malley supporters launch super PAC Updated: May-28-15 11:55 am
ANNAPOLIS, Maryland - Supporters of former Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley are launching a super PAC to raise money for his expected presidential campaign.
- Sanders wants Clinton to take stand on trade deal Updated: May-27-15 5:03 pm
CONCORD, New Hampshire - Sen. Bernie Sanders is questioning why Democratic presidential rival Hillary Rodman Clinton won't take a stand on the emerging trade deal with Pacific nations, which he calls "enormously important issue" she's been dodging.
- US Senator Graham in Israel ahead of likely presidential bid Updated: May-27-15 2:00 pm
JERUSALEM - U.S. Sen. Lindsey Graham says allowing the United Nations to decide the Israeli-Palestinian peace process is a "mistake."
- Jeb Bush to get own home at family compound in Kennebunkport Updated: May-25-15 2:55 pm
KENNEBUNKPORT, Maine - Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush is getting a house of his own at the family compound on the coast of Maine where generations of Bushes have spent summers.
- Sliver of Clinton emails hint at lingering political trouble Updated: May-23-15 4:26 am
WASHINGTON - Former Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton received information on her private email account about the deadly attack on U.S. diplomatic facilities in Benghazi that was later classified "secret" at the request of the FBI, underscoring lingering questions about how responsibly she handled sensitive information on a home server.
- Cruz adds state Republican Party official to campaign team Updated: May-22-15 2:15 pm
LANSING, Michigan - A Michigan Republican Party official who specializes in grassroots outreach will be state director for the presidential campaign of Ted Cruz.
- 2016 prospect Rand Paul in new book: GOP willing to change Updated: May-21-15 2:32 pm
WASHINGTON - Republican presidential candidate Rand Paul reaches out in his most direct way yet to African-Americans in a new book that highlights his libertarian policies on government surveillance, the economy and criminal justice reform.
- 10's a crowd? GOP prepares for double digits on debate stage Updated: May-20-15 9:05 pm
WASHINGTON - The first Republican presidential debate will feature no fewer than 10 candidates.
- Oklahoma GOP roiled by infighting as conference looms Updated: May-20-15 8:04 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - As Republicans prepare for some of the party's biggest names to descend on Oklahoma for the Southern Republican Leadership Conference, the state party is being rocked by infighting over its new chairman's decision to retain a staffer who pleaded guilty to a domestic violence charge.
- Shumlin endorses Clinton for president over Sanders Updated: May-20-15 6:58 pm
MONTPELIER, Vermont - Vermont House Speaker Shap Smith says he expects to join Gov. Peter Shumlin in endorsing Hillary Clinton for president over Sen. Bernie Sanders.
- Florida's GOP primary could give a boost to a favorite son Updated: May-19-15 5:06 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - Florida has put itself in a position to help the White House bids of either former Gov. Jeb Bush or Sen. Marco Rubio, by setting up a winner-take-all Republican presidential primary as early as possible in the nominating calendar.
- GOP candidate Marco Rubio coming to Nevada in late May Updated: May-19-15 3:03 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Republican presidential candidate Marco Rubio is planning to visit Nevada at the end of the month to celebrate his birthday with the star of the TV show "Pawn Stars."
- Clinton defends financial regs for big banks, dodges trade Updated: May-19-15 1:35 pm
CEDAR FALLS, Iowa - Hillary Rodham Clinton sharply criticized Republican efforts to revamp a 2010 financial regulation law as "cynical attempt to game the system for those at the top." But she continued to avoid taking a position on an Asia-Pacific trade pact that has divided fellow Democrats.
- State Dept. plans release of Clinton emails by next January Updated: May-19-15 1:35 am
WASHINGTON - The State Department has proposed releasing portions of 55,000 pages of emails from former Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton by next January.
- Christie call for larger military, more US intervention Updated: May-18-15 3:16 pm
PORTSMOUTH, New Hampshire - New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie made the case Monday for a more active U.S. presence overseas, including a larger military and defended the government's intelligence-collection efforts in a speech laying out his foreign policy platform.
- Texan Rick Perry pushes oil pipeline during Iowa GOP event Updated: May-17-15 1:41 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - Former Texas Gov. Rick Perry says American workers would benefit from the proposed Keystone XL pipeline.
- Christie to Georgia GOP: I'm a truth-teller and winner Updated: May-15-15 2:03 pm
ATHENS, Georgia - New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie is pitching himself to Georgia Republicans as a truth-telling winner from a traditionally Democratic state.
- GOP celebrates Asian Pacific heritage in Vegas, seeks votes Updated: May-15-15 1:03 pm
LAS VEGAS - The Republican National Committee in celebrating Asian Pacific American Heritage Month in Las Vegas will talk about the importance of gaining the group's votes in 2016.
- Bush still coy about running in speech to Vegas Republicans Updated: May-13-15 11:54 pm
LAS VEGAS - Jeb Bush says a record like his leading the state of Florida from 1998 to 2007 is the kind of record necessary to win the White House.