- GOP opts for nominating convention in 5th District Updated: Feb-07-16 3:26 pm
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia - Republicans in Virginia's 5th District will choose their nominee for Congress in a convention instead of an open primary.
- The Latest: State lawmakers to appeal ruling on districts Updated: Feb-05-16 8:29 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The Latest on a panel of federal judges striking two congressional districts in North Carolina (all times local):
- Washington House once again passes Voting Rights Act Updated: Feb-04-16 2:49 pm
OLYMPIA, Washington - For the fourth time in as many years, the state House has passed a measure seeking to reform representation of minorities in local elections.
- House to take 3 weeks off this session; Senate to take 1 Updated: Feb-03-16 6:31 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Both chambers of the South Carolina Legislature are taking a break the week after Easter, and the House is taking two additional weeks off.
- West Virginia features packed ballot for 2016 election Updated: Feb-03-16 1:58 pm
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - The ballot is almost set for a pivotal election in West Virginia.
- Bernard Schaber joins pool considering 8th District run Updated: Feb-03-16 1:14 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Former Democratic state Rep. Penny Bernard Schaber has added her name to a growing list of possible candidates for Wisconsin's 8th Congressional District.
- House GOP fails anew to repeal Obama's health care law Updated: Feb-02-16 6:07 pm
WASHINGTON - Republicans failed in their latest futile attempt Tuesday to kill President Barack Obama's health care overhaul, a Groundhog Day vote by the House that was solely an exercise in election-year political messaging.
- Kentucky House Democrats opposed to governor's spending cuts Updated: Feb-02-16 5:24 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - House Democrats said Tuesday they likely will not approve $650 million worth of state spending cuts proposed by Republican Gov. Matt Bevin, setting up a budget battle one month ahead of four special elections that could shift the balance of power in the legislature.
- Cummings won't run for Senate, will seek House re-election Updated: Feb-02-16 11:18 am
ANNAPOLIS, Maryland - U.S. Rep. Elijah Cummings said Tuesday he won't run for Senate and will seek re-election to a 12th term in the House.
- Cummings won't run for Senate, will seek House re-election Updated: Feb-02-16 11:01 am
BALTIMORE - U.S. Rep. Elijah Cummings says he won't run for Senate, but will seek re-election to his House seat.
- Australian official says PM is considering an early election Updated: Feb-02-16 12:17 am
CANBERRA, Australia - Australia's prime minister told government colleagues Tuesday that an early general election within weeks was "a live option," an official said.
- Lee, Roberson have money lead in Nevada House primaries Updated: Feb-01-16 8:37 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - The state of play in Nevada's four congressional races is coming into sharper focus after candidates filed quarterly financial reports over the weekend with the Federal Election Commission. Here's a look at who's ahead in the campaign money game:
- Owens outraises Love in fundraising period for House seat Updated: Feb-01-16 5:37 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Democratic challenger Doug Owens raised more money than U.S. Rep. Mia Love in the final months of 2015 as Owens tries to unseat the incumbent.
- Cheney formally launches bid for Wyoming US House seat Updated: Feb-01-16 5:12 pm
GILLETTE, Wyoming - Liz Cheney formally kicked off her campaign for Wyoming's lone U.S. House seat Monday with a newspaper interview in a region hard-hit by a downturn in coal mining, saying her top goal is to reverse Obama administration energy policies.
- Republican House member decides not to seek re-election Updated: Feb-01-16 3:56 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - State Rep. David Floyd said Monday he will not seek re-election this year, giving Republicans another seat to defend in trying to claim control of the Kentucky House and complete their takeover of the General Assembly.
- House leader: Criminal justice revamp doable, but could wait Updated: Feb-01-16 3:03 pm
WASHINGTON - An overhaul of the nation's criminal justice system may have to wait until next year, a top congressional Republican said Monday, in the latest indication that the bipartisan effort might succumb to election-year pressures.
- Roberson leads Republican rivals in House fundraising Updated: Feb-01-16 2:05 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - State Senate leader Michael Roberson is leading his Republican rivals in fundraising for Nevada's 3rd Congressional District seat.
- Indiana Rep. Randy Truitt announces retirement plans Updated: Jan-27-16 8:13 am
LAFAYETTE, Indiana - A state legislator from West Lafayette who has held office for eight years has decided not to seek another two-year term.
- Democrat Jacky Rosen launches bid for Rep. Heck's House seat Updated: Jan-26-16 4:18 pm
HENDERSON, Nevada - The leader of a Henderson synagogue announced Tuesday that she'll run for the southern Nevada congressional seat being vacated by Rep. Joe Heck.
- Member of House leadership decides not to seek re-election Updated: Jan-25-16 7:38 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - State Rep. Johnny Bell, a member of House Democratic leadership, said Monday that he has decided not to seek re-election this year as his party tries to maintain its fragile majority in the chamber.
- 2016 battlegrounds bring rural focus to legislative session Updated: Jan-24-16 11:07 am
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - The battle for greater Minnesota at the ballot box in November is already taking shape at the Capitol.
- Legislator gets county endorsement for Boehner's former seat Updated: Jan-24-16 4:20 am
EATON, Ohio - A state legislator from Butler County has won the endorsement of neighboring Preble County's Republican Party in the crowded race for former House Speaker John Boehner's western Ohio seat.
- Congressman endorses businessman for Boehner's US House seat Updated: Jan-22-16 4:17 pm
WEST CHESTER, Ohio - A businessman has won a Republican congressman's endorsement in the crowded race for former House Speaker John Boehner's (BAY'-nurz) western Ohio seat.
- Kemper files for Congress against Republican Andy Barr Updated: Jan-21-16 1:13 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - Republican U.S. Rep. Andy Barr will face a different Democratic challenger in November from the one who ran in 2014, but the strategy appears to be the same.
- Congressional hopeful Lucy Flores endorses Bernie Sanders Updated: Jan-19-16 2:47 pm
LAS VEGAS - Nevada Democratic congressional candidate and former Assemblywoman Lucy Flores is endorsing Bernie Sanders for president.