- Germany shelves Nazi crimes probe of US man Updated: Aug-01-15 12:36 am
BERLIN - German prosecutors have shelved their Nazi war crimes investigation of a retired Minnesota carpenter whom The Associated Press exposed as a former commander in an SS-led unit, saying Friday that the 96-year-old is not fit for trial.
- Legislator calls for investigation of Planned Parenthood Updated: Jul-31-15 4:43 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - A Florida legislator wants a criminal investigation into Planned Parenthood, but the organization calls the request "politically motivated."
- Federal report finds bias in St. Louis County family court Updated: Jul-31-15 4:05 pm
ST. LOUIS - The U.S. Department of Justice released a report critical of the St. Louis County Family Court on Friday, finding that black youths are treated more harshly than whites, and juveniles are often deprived of constitutional rights. Though unrelated to the department's investigation in Ferguson, the new report again raises concern about racial discrimination and profiling in the St. Louis region.
- Arkansas State Police investigate shooting of fugitive Updated: Jul-31-15 3:59 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - Arkansas investigators say a man wanted for impersonating a police offer apparently shot himself as authorities were attempting to arrest him.
- Ex-Vegas police teen Explorer to seek bail in child sex case Updated: Jul-31-15 1:41 pm
LAS VEGAS - A defense lawyer said Friday he'll seek bail for a former volunteer Las Vegas police Explorer facing multiple felony charges including lewdness, child sexual assault and kidnapping involving an underage schoolgirl.
- Hopes high wing flap will shed light on Flight 370 mystery Updated: Jul-31-15 1:37 pm
SAINT-ANDRE, Reunion - Under a microscope and expert eyes, the wing fragment that washed up on the beach of this volcanic island could yield clues not just to its path through the Indian Ocean, but also to what happened to the airplane it belonged to.
- Woman accused in antifreeze deaths wants statements tossed Updated: Jul-31-15 12:09 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Missouri - Attorneys for a southwestern Missouri woman accused of fatally poisoning her husband and a son with antifreeze are asking a judge to toss out her videotaped statements to investigators.
- German justice minister casts doubt on treason probe Updated: Jul-31-15 11:26 am
BERLIN - Germany's justice minister on Friday questioned a decision by prosecutors to open a treason investigation against two journalists, a move that prompted strong criticism from free speech activists.
- Aurora police investigate triple shooting that killed 1 Updated: Jul-31-15 10:50 am
AURORA, Colorado - Police in Aurora are investigating a shooting that killed one person and injured two others.
- Birmingham police investigate shooting Updated: Jul-31-15 9:55 am
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - A man has been shot in the face and seriously wounded in Birmingham.
- Police investigate double shooting in DeKalb County; 1 dead Updated: Jul-31-15 8:55 am
ATLANTA - Police are investigating a double shooting that left one man dead and wounded a woman.
- Police: 2 men shot dead at Gary public housing complex Updated: Jul-31-15 8:49 am
GARY, Indiana - Officials in Gary say two men have been shot dead at one of the city's public housing complexes.
- Deaths of 2 toddlers pulled from pool prompt investigation Updated: Jul-31-15 7:01 am
DAYTONA BEACH, Florida - Authorities are investigating after the deaths of two toddlers pulled from a backyard swimming pool in Daytona Beach.
- Yonkers police seek help in identifying elderly woman Updated: Jul-31-15 6:50 am
YONKERS, New York - Police are asking for the public's help in identifying an elderly woman found on the street in Yonkers last week.
- Police: Man seriously wounded in South Boston stabbing Updated: Jul-31-15 5:23 am
BOSTON - Police say a man is in serious condition after he was stabbed in South Boston.
- AP investigation prompts new round of slave rescues Updated: Jul-30-15 11:56 pm
Authorities in Papua New Guinea have rescued eight fishermen held on board a Thai-owned refrigerated cargo ship, and dozens of other boats are still being sought in response to an Associated Press report that included satellite photos and locations of slave vessels at sea.
- Pueblo police: Woman's death investigated as homicide Updated: Jul-30-15 10:35 pm
PUEBLO, Colorado - Authorities say the death of a 77-year-old woman whose body was found in a burning home in Pueblo is being investigated as a homicide.
- Couple found dead in Lac qui Parle County murder-suicide Updated: Jul-30-15 8:31 pm
MADISON, Minnesota - Authorities are treating the shooting deaths of a husband and wife at a home in Lac qui Parle (LAK'-ah PAR'-el) County as a murder-suicide.
- La Paz County authorities investigating jail inmate's death Updated: Jul-30-15 7:21 pm
LAKE HAVASU CITY, Arizona - Authorities say they're investigating the death of a female jail inmate in Lake Havasu City.
- Human smuggling ring dismantled in South Texas Updated: Jul-30-15 7:17 pm
SAN ANTONIO - U.S. Homeland Security investigators dismantled a South Texas ring that illegally smuggled thousands of immigrants across the border from Mexico and on to other parts of the state -- often tucked in small, dangerous truck crawl spaces.
- Wisconsin justice defends participation in Walker case Updated: Jul-30-15 6:08 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Wisconsin Supreme Court Justice David Prosser said Thursday he didn't have to recuse himself from a ruling that ended a secret investigation into coordination between Republican Gov. Scott Walker's recall campaign and outside groups. Prosser acknowledged spending by some of those same groups helped him win re-election in 2011 but argued that was years ago.
- Confederate flags left near Rev. Martin Luther King's church Updated: Jul-30-15 5:16 pm
ATLANTA - Police worked Thursday to identify two white males who were caught on surveillance camera laying Confederate battle flags neatly on the ground near the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.'s church.
- Britain limits Ai Weiwei's visit due to alleged conviction Updated: Jul-30-15 2:51 pm
BEIJING - Britain has denied Chinese dissident artist Ai Weiwei a six-month business visa to attend a London exhibition of his work, saying he failed to disclose that he has a criminal conviction - a claim that the artist and his attorney dispute.
- Eden Prairie police investigate baby's death Updated: Jul-30-15 12:30 pm
EDEN PRAIRIE, Minnesota - Police in Eden Prairie say they're investigating the suspicious death of a newborn.
- State police seek person who shot at marked cruiser Updated: Jul-30-15 12:14 pm
MANSFIELD, Massachusetts - State police are stepping up efforts to find the person they say fired a hunting rifle at a marked department cruiser in Mansfield earlier this month.