- Soccer officials arrested in Zurich; World Cup votes probed Updated: May-27-15 10:43 am
ZURICH - Swiss prosecutors opened criminal proceedings into FIFA's awarding of the 2018 and 2022 World Cups, only hours after seven soccer officials were arrested Wednesday pending extradition to the U.S. in a separate probe of "rampant, systemic, and deep-rooted" corruption.
- 2 people arrested in Taylor County death investigation Updated: May-27-15 9:28 am
BEDFORD, Iowa - Iowa investigators have joined Taylor County deputies in a death investigation.
- Police say same suspect sought in Bay Area bank robberies Updated: May-27-15 8:52 am
SACRAMENTO, California - Police say the suspect in a Tuesday bank robbery may be responsible for a series of similar crimes in the Bay Area.
- Air France jet in near miss with giant volcano in Cameroon Updated: May-27-15 8:46 am
PARIS - Air France says one of its jets had what investigators call a "serious incident" by flying too close to a volcano while maneuvering around a storm on a flight into Cameroon.
- THE LATEST: Russia: 'Nothing to hide' in 2018 World Cup bid Updated: May-27-15 8:46 am
ZURICH - 2:40 p.m. (1240 GMT, 8:40 a.m. EDT)
- Police, coroner investigating double shooting in Reading Updated: May-27-15 8:39 am
READING, Pennsylvania - Police and the county coroner have confirmed a double-fatal shooting in the eastern Pennsylvania city of Reading, but aren't releasing details because the investigation is in its infancy.
- Russia says it has 'nothing to hide' after FIFA bid probe Updated: May-27-15 8:35 am
WARSAW, Poland - Russian Sports Minister Vitaly Mutko tells The Associated Press "we've got nothing to hide" after Swiss prosecutors opened criminal proceedings into FIFA's awarding of the 2018 and 2022 World Cups.
- FIFA now subject to federal probes in US, Switzerland Updated: May-27-15 8:24 am
ZURICH - FIFA's reputation for corruption has reignited spectacularly two days before a presidential election expected to give Sepp Blatter four more years at the head of world soccer.
- US Department of Justice statement on FIFA corruption probe Updated: May-27-15 6:22 am
- Police ask for help investigating cyclist's fatal shooting Updated: May-27-15 5:06 am
WINDSOR, Colorado - Authorities are asking for the public's help in finding whoever shot a man to death when he was bicycling on a rural road in northern Colorado.
- Authorities: Hiker finds body on trail in upstate New York Updated: May-27-15 4:11 am
LYSANDER, New York - Authorities are investigating the death of a man whose body was found on a hiking trail in upstate New York.
- Double police shooting in Washington again draws protest Updated: May-27-15 2:27 am
OLYMPIA, Washington - Hours after investigators interviewed the Olympia, Washington, police officer who wounded two men suspected of trying to steal beer, about 100 people demonstrated outside the Olympia City Hall in response to the recent shooting.
- AP News in Brief at 9:58 p.m. EDT Updated: May-26-15 11:06 pm
The Latest on weather: Third body pulled from swollen Blanco River; Texas death toll now 13
- FBI, police find no threat on EVA Air plane at LA airport Updated: May-26-15 10:27 pm
LOS ANGELES - Someone called in a threat to a flight from Taiwan that landed at Los Angeles International Airport on Tuesday, but nothing dangerous was found on board, authorities said.
- Navy sub sailor pleads guilty to videotaping female officers Updated: May-26-15 6:55 pm
MAYPORT NAVAL STATION, Florida - A Navy submarine sailor was sentenced Tuesday to two years in a military prison after he pleaded guilty to illegally making and trading videos of female officers undressing in the shower.
- 'Free range' parents cleared of child neglect in 1 case Updated: May-26-15 6:23 pm
SILVER SPRING, Maryland - A Maryland couple who were investigated for neglect after letting their two young children walk home alone from local parks have been cleared in one of two such cases.
- Investigation sought into threats sent to 2 Arizona mosques Updated: May-26-15 6:00 pm
PHOENIX - A civil rights group has asked the FBI to investigate a threatening letter sent to a Phoenix mosque that was once a place of worship for suspects in a shooting three weeks ago at a Texas cartoon contest featuring cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad.
- Federal arbitrator clears records of Oklahoma police officer Updated: May-26-15 2:54 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - A federal arbitrator has cleared the record of an Oklahoma City police officer who was reprimanded and placed on administrative leave following accusations he leaked information to a criminal defense attorney.
- Police investigating fatal Hingham pedestrian accident Updated: May-26-15 11:17 am
HINGHAM, Massachusetts - Police are investigating how a 62-year-old Weymouth man ended up on a busy Hingham street before he was struck and killed by a boat trailer.
- Egyptian officials investigate police killing of student Updated: May-26-15 10:25 am
CAIRO - Egyptian authorities are investigating the killing of a university student by police, a judicial official said Tuesday, the latest in series of cases alleging brutality by security forces.
- Police investigate death in waters surrounding island Updated: May-26-15 7:56 am
FIGURE EIGHT ISLAND, North Carolina - The New Hanover County Sheriff's Office is investigating the death of a man in the waters surrounding Figure Eight Island.
- Philly police seek suspects who shot 2 19-year-old men Updated: May-26-15 7:10 am
PHILADELPHIA - Philadelphia police have been trying to find whoever fatally shot two 19-year-old men in separate incidents late on Memorial Day.
- Hit-and-run kills teen girl in Cleveland; police seek driver Updated: May-26-15 6:02 am
CLEVELAND - Police in Cleveland say a 14-year-old girl is dead after a vehicle hit her and fled the scene.
- Lawyer says allegations B.B. King was poisoned 'ridiculous' Updated: May-26-15 5:40 am
LAS VEGAS - Two B.B. King heirs who've been most outspoken about the blues legend's care in his final days have accused King's two closest aides of poisoning him, but the attorney for King's estate called the claims ridiculous and police said there was no active homicide investigation.
- Police investigate St. Louis shooting with children nearby Updated: May-26-15 4:32 am
ST. LOUIS - St. Louis police are investigating an incident that left four people shot in an apartment with young children in another room.