- Bill sets new requirements for voucher schools Updated: Mar-11-14 5:09 am
- Common Core panel says limit time teaching to test Updated: Mar-10-14 8:10 pm
- State school testing to switch to computer only Updated: Mar-08-14 5:34 pm
- Fla. could increase private school vouchers Updated: Mar-06-14 8:04 pm
- Split NC education board OKs new testing levels Updated: Mar-06-14 1:40 pm
- Board OKs Nebraska fine arts standards for schools Updated: Mar-05-14 12:09 pm
- Fla. bill addresses low nursing school test scores Updated: Mar-05-14 11:14 am
- Retired GA veterans to support education standards Updated: Mar-04-14 4:20 am
- Snow closures delay Md. standardized school tests Updated: Mar-03-14 2:22 pm
- Fla. considers best way to implement ed reforms Updated: Mar-01-14 11:56 am
- Michigan tests show mixed reading, math levels Updated: Feb-28-14 7:40 pm
- Ind. House backs tossing national school standards Updated: Feb-27-14 12:55 pm
- Compromise that keeps Common Core in SC advances Updated: Feb-26-14 5:37 pm
- Ga. politicians fault national education standards Updated: Feb-25-14 3:58 pm
- Kentucky panel OKs alternative school testing Updated: Feb-25-14 2:32 pm
- Education board eases accreditation policy Updated: Feb-22-14 12:42 pm
- Chattanooga charter school sees early success Updated: Feb-22-14 12:42 pm
- Miss. clears Jackson schools on special education Updated: Feb-21-14 6:04 pm
- W.Va. gov ups testing of school water Updated: Feb-21-14 2:04 am
- Mo. House panel hears bill to block ed. standards Updated: Feb-20-14 6:08 pm
- Miss. could adopt ACT as high school exit exam Updated: Feb-20-14 4:41 pm
- Kansas House panel reviews school standards bill Updated: Feb-19-14 7:01 pm
- Board looks at Fla. school standards, grading Updated: Feb-18-14 3:41 pm
- Iowa lawmakers consider bill requiring radon tests Updated: Feb-18-14 2:28 pm
- Kan. Common Core foe: Get feds out of education Updated: Feb-17-14 12:01 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Private schools that want to participate in Wisconsin's voucher program would have to meet new, tougher requirements under a bill before the state Senate.
ALBANY, New York - A panel created by Gov. Andrew Cuomo to look into New York's rollout of the Common Core curriculum recommended Monday banning standardized tests for the youngest students and capping the amount of instructional time that can be used for test prep.
FARMINGTON, New Mexico - New Mexico students will take pencil to paper for the last time this month for their state standards-based assessment test.
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - A Florida program that helps low-income children attend private schools, many of them religious, could undergo a substantial expansion under a bill that moved ahead Thursday in the state Legislature.
RALEIGH, North Carolina - A split North Carolina State Board of Education has agreed to change how students will be labeled based on standardized test scores in a move which means more students will be considered proficient in skills and courses.
LINCOLN, Nebraska - The State Board of Education has approved Nebraska's first fine arts standards in music, visual, performing and media arts.
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - Plummeting test scores among Florida nursing school graduates has prompted some legislators to propose a bill that would tighten the qualifications for nursing programs.
ATLANTA - Retired veterans are planning a rally in the state Capitol rotunda to urge Georgia lawmakers and educators to continue implementing Common Core Standards.
HAGERSTOWN, Maryland - A snowstorm has delayed the start of Maryland School Assessment standardized testing in at least some of the state's 24 school districts.
MIAMI - Sweeping changes the Florida Legislature has made to education in recent years are likely to come to the forefront again during the upcoming session as lawmakers grapple with their implementation.
LANSING, Michigan - Michigan standardized test results for grades 3 to 8 showed mixed math and reading level changes in 2013, with almost one-third of students failing reading and more than half failing math.
INDIANAPOLIS - A move to break from most other states and create new education standards for Indiana schools has lawmaker approval.
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - South Carolina schools would continue to implement Common Core education standards in math and reading, at least for a few years, under a compromise advancing in the Senate.
ATLANTA - Conservatives are making an election-year attack on national curriculum standards used by Georgia's schools, though it appears unlikely to change much inside classrooms.
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - A bill allowing those Kentucky school districts known as Districts of Innovation to develop new standardized testing models cleared its first panel Tuesday.
JACKSON, Mississippi - The Mississippi Board of Education has approved a temporary rule allowing greater flexibility regarding accreditation in a district placed under conservatorship.
CHATTANOOGA, Tennessee - Three years ago, Marcia Griffin went door to door in the inner city, meeting with dozens of parents to pitch her idea for a new charter school in Chattanooga. She quibbled with the Hamilton County Board of Education for approval and finally opened her elementary school in the Eastgate Town Center, between a call center and a nightclub.
JACKSON, Mississippi - Mississippi officials say the Jackson city school district now meets special education standards, after it nearly lost its accreditation in 2012 over problems educating students with disabilities.
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - West Virginia is ratcheting up water testing at schools on orders from Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin.
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Missouri's Teacher of the Year defended the state's new education standards to a House panel Thursday, saying the Common Core standards would help prepare students for today's world.
JACKSON, Mississippi - Mississippi high school students could soon be using the same test to get out of high school and get into college.
TOPEKA, Kansas - A Kansas House committee heard testimony Wednesday from an overflow crowd of several hundred on legislation that would bar use of the Common Core standards for reading and math in public schools.
ORLANDO, Florida - Florida education officials on Tuesday tried to end a long-simmering debate over what its school standards should be and how schools should be graded.
DES MOINES, Iowa - An Iowa legislative panel approved a bill Tuesday to require radon testing in schools across the state, though lawmakers made clear that changes would be made to the legislation to address timetables and funding sources for the mandate.
TOPEKA, Kansas - An eastern Kansas Republican who is the main proponent of a House measure that would nullify Common Core reading and math standards in the state admits he hasn't read what's in them.