- Stanford names New York university leader as next president Updated: Feb-04-16 6:45 pm
PALO ALTO, California - A neuroscientist who leads a prestigious graduate school and biomedical research institute in New York City was named Thursday as Stanford University's next president, a position he said he would use to champion basic research and the value of a liberal arts education.
- After 2 years of strong growth, university endowments falter Updated: Jan-27-16 12:06 am
BOSTON - College endowments grew by an average of only 2.4 percent last school year, a sharp drop following two years of strong gains, a new study found.
- Nonprofit reaches fundraising goal for Gateway Arch upgrade Updated: Jan-26-16 3:17 pm
ST. LOUIS - A nonprofit coordinating a $380-million renovation of the Gateway Arch grounds in St. Louis says it has reached its fundraising goal of $250 million.
- Museum renames Middle East gallery for William Davidson Updated: Jan-26-16 10:46 am
DETROIT - The Detroit Institute of Arts is renaming its revamped Ancient Middle East gallery in recognition of $5 million grant from the William Davidson Foundation.
- Governor's tapping of college endowments raises alumni ire Updated: Jan-24-16 11:33 am
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Rhode Island Gov. Gina Raimondo is tapping college endowments to advance her policy agenda without taxpayers having to foot the bill, but the unconventional practice is raising the ire of some alumni, donors and lawmakers.
- Penn State seniors put class gift funds toward mental health Updated: Jan-18-16 4:41 pm
STATE COLLEGE, Pennsylvania - Pennsylvania State University's senior class will donate its class gift funds to an endowment to support campus mental health services.
- Ohio State, Nike agree on $252M sponsorship extension Updated: Jan-15-16 2:35 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio State University has extended its current sponsorship contract with Nike by 15 years in a deal worth $252 million, the school and athletic apparel company announced.
- Wikipedia gets another source of cash for 15th birthday Updated: Jan-14-16 3:20 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Wikipedia is getting another source of cash for its 15th birthday, expanding beyond fundraising drives that have already poured $250 million into the Internet's leading encyclopedia.
- Conservationist creates endowment for Indiana prairie Updated: Jan-13-16 4:08 am
GRIFFITH, Indiana - A northwestern Indiana conservationist has created an endowment that will help pay for the stewardship of one of the state's last remaining prairies.
- Philadelphia newspapers, website handed off to new nonprofit Updated: Jan-12-16 4:54 pm
PHILADELPHIA - The owner of Philadelphia's two largest newspapers and their joint website, philly.com, has handed them off to a nonprofit created to help them survive the digital age with help from foundation grants, university partnerships and other boosters.
- Colleagues help finish late scientist's butterfly guide Updated: Jan-10-16 3:10 pm
FAIRBANKS, Alaska - A Fairbanks scientist who died before he could finish a comprehensive guide to the state's butterflies and moths has a posthumous byline on the finished project.