- Scholars drawn to conflict zones stoke college safety debate Updated: Jul-28-15 7:38 am
BOSTON - Some U.S. colleges with overseas-study programs won't touch Ukraine. Tufts University, on the other hand, is drawn to the turmoil in the former Soviet republic, which the U.S. State Department deemed dangerous for travel.
- Visits to Great Smoky Mountains Park up 8 percent from 2014 Updated: Jul-28-15 4:06 am
GATLINBURG, Tennessee - Great Smoky Mountains National Park says more than 4.3 million people visited between January and June, an 8 percent increase from the first half of 2014.
- Dozens of brilliant bronze works on display at Getty Museum Updated: Jul-28-15 3:58 am
LOS ANGELES - It's almost as if the dozens of exquisitely detailed, often perfectly intact bronze sculptures on display at the J. Paul Getty Museum disappeared into an ancient witness-protection program - and decided to stay there for thousands of years.
- Mexico struggles to clean seaweed surge from Cancun beaches Updated: Jul-27-15 11:41 pm
MEXICO CITY - Authorities on Mexico's Caribbean coast said Monday they are redoubling efforts to remove tons of sargassum seaweed that has been washing ashore in recent weeks.
- Seau lawyer: family won't disrupt Hall of Fame ceremonies Updated: Jul-27-15 9:11 pm
CANTON, Ohio - The family of the late Junior Seau will not disrupt the Hall of Fame ceremonies on Aug. 8 despite its disagreement with a policy preventing live remarks during a posthumous induction.
- Idaho festival celebrates Basque culture, history Updated: Jul-27-15 7:37 pm
BOISE, Idaho - With more than 300 pounds of chorizo sitting in her freezer and 5,000 portions of Basque-style paella prepared in advance, Tara McElhose-Eiguren says she's finally running out of space in her kitchen in anticipation of helping feed those attending the traditional Jaialdi festival in southwestern Idaho.
- Shannon Boxx and Lauren Holiday to retire after victory tour Updated: Jul-27-15 5:55 pm
PORTLAND, Oregon - U.S. soccer formally announced that midfielders Shannon Boxx and Lauren Holiday will retire from the U.S. national team following a victory tour to celebrate the Women's World Cup title.
- NYC mayor: 400,000 people have obtained municipal ID cards Updated: Jul-27-15 5:13 pm
NEW YORK - Mayor Bill de Blasio announced Monday that about 400,000 people have obtained New York City's municipal ID card since the program was rolled out six months ago - including immigrants lacking legal documentation.
- Man with no ticket arrested, boarded plane at Dallas airport Updated: Jul-27-15 5:02 pm
GRAPEVINE, Texas - Police have arrested a man who got through security at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport and boarded a plane without a ticket.
- New York Gov. Cuomo announces new LaGuardia Airport Updated: Jul-27-15 4:55 pm
NEW YORK - Gov. Andrew Cuomo on Monday introduced a plan to redesign and rebuild LaGuardia airport, replacing the cramped, outdated hub with a unified terminal that will have more than double the operational space for airliners.
- Review: 'Vacation' is a funny homage to its predecessor Updated: Jul-27-15 2:04 pm
The great American family road trip seems, in the 32 years since we first met the Griswolds, as antiquated a concept as ever. Middle class families fly now - device enabled, efficiency obsessed and always aware of the outside world.
- Amazeum children's museum opens in Arkansas Updated: Jul-27-15 1:52 pm
BENTONVILLE, Arkansas - It's a science museum. It's a children's museum. It's the Scott Family Amazeum.
- Miss Hospitality contestants arrive in Hattiesburg Updated: Jul-27-15 11:37 am
HATTIESBURG, Mississippi - The watchwords seemed to be "be yourself," as the 66th Miss Hospitality pageant got underway Sunday in Hattiesburg.
- Final ride: Carowinds closes Thunder Road wooden coaster Updated: Jul-27-15 11:21 am
FORT MILL, South Carolina - Thunder Road is going silent.
- Bennington Museum gifted works by Grandma Moses, Olitski Updated: Jul-27-15 11:10 am
BENNINGTON, Vermont - A Vermont museum has been gifted a collection of artwork and artifacts more significant than any received in the last decade, including works by Grandma Moses and Jules Olitski.
- Arkansas Amazeum; beer, wine and 'shine in NC; Oklahoma spa Updated: Jul-27-15 9:57 am
ARKANSAS CHILDREN'S MUSEUM
- Grand Canyon biologist sets up cameras to document wildlife Updated: Jul-27-15 9:18 am
FLAGSTAFF, Arizona - A biologist has installed more than two dozen motion-sensing cameras along a 50-mile stretch of the Grand Canyon in pursuit of images of an elusive skunk species.
- Renovations at Kansas Aviation Museum nearly complete Updated: Jul-27-15 9:13 am
WICHITA, Kansas - Visitors to the Kansas Aviation Museum in Wichita are now able to view the museum's exhibits in air conditioned comfort, thanks to a $1.3 million renovation project that is nearly complete, the museum's director said.
- Man killed by shark while diving off Australian coast Updated: Jul-27-15 9:10 am
HOBART, Australia - A woman watched her father being mauled to death by a large shark on Saturday while the pair were diving off the Australian island state of Tasmania, police said.
- Florida man wins Hemingway look-alike contest in Key West Updated: Jul-27-15 9:05 am
KEY WEST, Florida - A white-bearded Florida man has won the "Papa" Hemingway Look-Alike Contest on his 15th attempt.
- Texans among foreign tourists in Peru bus crash, some hurt Updated: Jul-27-15 9:02 am
LIMA, Peru - Some East Texas college students and two faculty members are among at least 15 foreign tourists hurt after their bus crashed in Peru.
- Thai Airways suspends unprofitable US flights Updated: Jul-27-15 8:59 am
BANGKOK - Thailand's beleaguered national airline said Monday it will suspend flights to the U.S. as part of efforts to end years of losses.
- Cancelled Utah race renews fears of shrinking salt flats Updated: Jul-27-15 8:57 am
WENDOVER, Utah - A small city of tents, trailers and thousands of visitors appears almost every August in the Utah desert to watch cars, motorcycles and anything with wheels rocket across gleaming white sheets of salt at speeds of 400 mph.
- Woman suffers minor injuries in Edisto Beach shark bite Updated: Jul-27-15 8:52 am
EDISTO BEACH, South Carolina - Colleton County officials say a woman suffered minor injuries when she was bitten by a small shark at Edisto Beach.
- Mississippi River counties pool resources to bring tourists Updated: Jul-27-15 8:32 am
BARDWELL, Kentucky - Carlisle, Ballard, Hickman and Fulton counties are combining resources to promote tourism along the Kentucky Great River Road National Scenic Byway.