- Remote home of leprosy patients could open door wider Updated: May-05-15 4:28 am
HONOLULU - A remote peninsula that has been the home of leprosy patients since the 19th century could be opened more fully to the public as the last remaining residents near the end of their lives.
- Tourism impact climbs in Kentucky, tops $13 billion Updated: May-05-15 3:34 am
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - Tourism's economic impact is up in Kentucky, and Gov. Steve Beshear says last year's total was more than $13 billion.
- Family: Teens still critical 6 weeks after resort poisoning Updated: May-04-15 11:01 pm
Two Delaware teenagers sickened by a banned pesticide that was sprayed at the Caribbean resort where they were staying are still in critical condition more than six weeks later, their family said Monday.
- AP source: Goldberg died after collapsing in gym Updated: May-04-15 10:14 pm
David Goldberg, the SurveyMonkey CEO who also was Facebook executive Sheryl Sandberg's husband, was exercising at a gym in a Mexican resort when he collapsed before he died Friday, a person close to the family said.
- Internment art to be displayed at California museum Updated: May-04-15 8:58 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - A California museum has acquired an art collection created by Japanese Americans held in internment camps after an East Coast auction house canceled the sale of photographs and other artifacts amid protests.
- Riviera casino closes doors after 60 years on Vegas Strip Updated: May-04-15 8:34 pm
LAS VEGAS - If the ghosts of Frank Sinatra and Liberace were still hanging around the Riviera Hotel and Casino on Monday morning, they wouldn't have found a seat at the bar.
- Huge waves in California lure bodysurfers, crowds to beaches Updated: May-04-15 8:27 pm
NEWPORT BEACH, California - Hundreds of spectators lined the beach and gasped, cheered and clapped on Monday as bodysurfers braved 15-foot waves at The Wedge, a Newport Beach break known for its powerful waves.
- Police: US couple killed in US Virgin Islands Updated: May-04-15 8:13 pm
CHARLOTTE AMALIE, U.S. Virgin Islands - Authorities in the U.S. Virgin Islands say an elderly couple visiting from the U.S. mainland has been found stabbed to death in a rental home.
- Museums in NYC, Boston honored for science education Updated: May-04-15 7:25 pm
NEW YORK - The National Science Board is honoring museums in New York and Boston for their work in educating the public about science.
- Airlines bring in more money from bag, reservations fees Updated: May-04-15 6:44 pm
U.S. airlines are earning billions, and they are collecting more in fees on checked bags and reservation changes.
- Met show uses film, fashion to explore East-West interplay Updated: May-04-15 6:33 pm
NEW YORK - Hollywood has long been fascinated with China. But that doesn't mean it has always represented it fully or accurately - far from it.
- Family: Teens still critical 6 weeks after resort poisoning Updated: May-04-15 4:15 pm
Two Delaware teenagers are still in critical condition more than six weeks after they were sickened by a banned pesticide that was sprayed at the Caribbean resort where they were staying, their family said Monday.
- Airlines bring in more money from bag, reservations fees Updated: May-04-15 4:15 pm
U.S. airlines are earning billions, and they're collecting more in fees on checked bags and reservation changes.
- Riviera casino closes doors after 60 years on Vegas Strip Updated: May-04-15 4:08 pm
LAS VEGAS - The aging Riviera Hotel and Casino on the Las Vegas Strip will age no more.
- North America's tallest peak opens for climbers Updated: May-04-15 4:05 pm
FAIRBANKS, Alaska - Hundreds of climbers are expected to attempt to summit North America's tallest peak this season, which has begun.
- Fired National Park Service official says she's a scapegoat Updated: May-04-15 3:49 pm
IOWA CITY, Iowa - A former National Park Service official in Iowa says she was unfairly blamed and fired for approving illegal construction projects that damaged a sacred American Indian burial site.
- Owner of energy lease near Glacier urges judge to act Updated: May-04-15 2:43 pm
BILLINGS, Montana - A Louisiana company is asking a judge to resolve its lawsuit challenging the government's suspension of an oil and gas lease near Montana's Glacier National Park so the company can begin drilling this summer.
- Travel new and now: Hipster hotels, dude ranches, Nicaragua Updated: May-04-15 1:57 pm
- California condor that appeared on postage stamp euthanized Updated: May-04-15 1:04 pm
SAN DIEGO - A prolific California condor that represented endangered wildlife on a 1996 postage stamp has been euthanized after months of treatment for cancer.
- Mural of smiling kids at Ga. airport covered by Porsche ad Updated: May-04-15 10:47 am
ATLANTA - A mural at Atlanta's airport featuring smiling children at Centennial Olympic Park has been covered by a Porsche advertisement.
- Mayflower replica slated to continue repairs at home Updated: May-04-15 10:36 am
PLYMOUTH, Massachusetts - A replica of the Mayflower is scheduled to sail home in time for the busy summer tourist season.
- Snow, cold keep New England skiers, riders stoked into May Updated: May-04-15 10:34 am
CONCORD, New Hampshire - Skiers and snowboarders at Vermont's Sugarbush resort have spent the morning on the slopes and played golf in the afternoon - testament to the abundance of snow that extended the season at many northern New England ski areas.
- Winslow Homer exhibit joins Warhol artwork at upstate museum Updated: May-04-15 10:29 am
GLENS FALLS, New York - Works by two iconic American artists - Andy Warhol and Winslow Homer - will be exhibited at the same time at an upstate New York art museum this summer.
- Ellis Island expands its story of US immigration history Updated: May-04-15 10:27 am
NEW YORK - Not all of the stories at Ellis Island's immigration museum are about someone's great-grandfather arriving as a boy from Europe at the start of the 20th century.
- New project in US South promotes music "triangle" Updated: May-04-15 10:20 am
CLARKSDALE, Mississippi - Blues. Jazz. Country. Rock n' roll. Gospel. Southern Gospel. Cajun-zydeco. Soul/ R&B. Bluegrass.