- 3 floors evacuated for hazmat incident at Vegas Strip hotel Updated: Feb-10-16 7:25 pm
LAS VEGAS - Guests were ordered to leave three floors of a Las Vegas Strip hotel for about four hours Wednesday while hazardous materials teams investigated a liquid found in an unoccupied room, authorities said.
- Cisco tops Street fiscal 2nd-quarter forecasts Updated: Feb-10-16 7:11 pm
SAN JOSE, California - Cisco Systems Inc. reported better-than-expected quarterly results and announced a stock buyback plan and dividend increase, sending its shares higher in extended trading.
- Hawaii's big-wave surf competition called off Updated: Feb-10-16 7:06 pm
HALEIWA, Hawaii - Legendary surfer Eddie Aikau would have gone out. But Wednesday's surf in Hawaii didn't stack up to his namesake competition's big-wave standards, and the event was called off hours before it was supposed to happen.
- Australian charged with sex attack on 2 backpackers on beach Updated: Feb-10-16 6:58 pm
ADELAIDE, Australia - Two female backpackers from Europe were savagely attacked on a remote Australian beach by a traveling companion they had met hours earlier, police said on Wednesday.
- Van Gogh's bedroom recreated in Chicago as Airbnb rental Updated: Feb-10-16 5:29 pm
CHICAGO - Art lovers have a chance to spend one starry night in a replica of Vincent Van Gogh's bedroom for only $10.
- Shanghai Disneyland; Leap Year; TSA rules on bug spray Updated: Feb-10-16 3:09 pm
SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND TICKETS
- Northern Ireland's 'Game of Thrones' road painted by mistake Updated: Feb-10-16 2:58 pm
ARMOY, Northern Ireland - "Game of Thrones" fans, don't fret: Cleaners are coming.
- Tourism commission chooses western Nebraska sites for revamp Updated: Feb-10-16 2:41 pm
SCOTTSBLUFF, Nebraska - The state's tourism commission has selected two sites in western Nebraska to benefit from a new volunteer program.
- Oregon confirms case of travel-associated Zika virus Updated: Feb-10-16 2:39 pm
PORTLAND, Oregon - Public health officials say Oregon has a confirmed case of the Zika virus.
- North Myrtle Beach Chamber urging visitors to "Just Coast" Updated: Feb-10-16 1:47 pm
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH, South Carolina - The Convention and Visitors Bureau of the North Myrtle Beach Chamber of Commerce is urging visitors to "Just Coast."
- Interior asked to do more to protect Grand Canyon employees Updated: Feb-10-16 1:17 pm
GRAND CANYON NATIONAL PARK, Arizona - Arizona's congressional delegation says the National Park Service must do more to protect Grand Canyon employees who participate on the agency's river rafting trips.
- Consider Grand Bahama for a quiet island getaway Updated: Feb-10-16 1:01 pm
GRAND BAHAMA, The Bahamas - Looking for a low-key winter getaway or quiet spring break destination? Grand Bahama may be your place.
- The Latest: Hawaii's big wave surf competition called off Updated: Feb-10-16 12:41 pm
HALEIWA, Hawaii - The Latest on 'The Eddie' big wave competition (all times local):
- Correction: National Aviary-Sloth story Updated: Feb-10-16 11:28 am
PITTSBURGH - In a story Feb. 9 about a two-toed sloth, The Associated Press reported erroneously how the animal was acquired. It was purchased from a breeder, not donated.
- CRAFTS: When in Tokyo, try making a Japanese woodblock print Updated: Feb-10-16 10:30 am
You probably know what an ukiyo-e print looks like, even if you don't recognize the term.
- Alabama sports memories to live on in library's exhibit Updated: Feb-10-16 10:10 am
GADSDEN, Alabama - If you closed your eyes and listened, you might have imagined yourself in a dugout, on a sideline, on a race course or in a press box.
- Riders want restrictions eased on horses on beach Updated: Feb-10-16 8:53 am
MYRTLE BEACH, South Carolina - Riders want Myrtle Beach City Council to ease recently enforced restrictions on horses on the beach.
- ArtPrize-winning piece to go on display in Indiana museum Updated: Feb-10-16 8:14 am
INDIANAPOLIS - A sculpture that won $300,000 in the 2014 ArtPrize competition in Michigan will go on display next month at the Indiana State Museum.
- Museum offers free admission for Abraham Lincoln's birthday Updated: Feb-10-16 4:31 am
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - The Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum is offering free admission to mark the 16th president's birthday.
- State official to meet with NY group boosting historic site Updated: Feb-10-16 3:01 am
OGDENSBURG, New York - A state official will meet with leaders of an effort in a northern New York community to increase tourism at a historic site dating back to the French Colonial era.
- Report: Zion National Park has $70M maintenance backlog Updated: Feb-09-16 11:44 pm
OGDEN, Utah - A report shows that Zion National Park is about $70 million behind on maintenance work, while continuing to see a record number of visitors.
- The Latest on Mardi Gras: Gunfire on parade route Updated: Feb-09-16 9:11 pm
NEW ORLEANS - The Latest on Mardi Gras in New Orleans (all times local):
- With costumes, beads, music, New Orleans marks Fat Tuesday Updated: Feb-09-16 8:21 pm
NEW ORLEANS - Dressed in elaborate costumes, dancing to the beat of brass bands and clamoring for beads from passing floats, thousands of people gathered in the streets of New Orleans to mark the culmination of the famous Mardi Gras celebration Tuesday.
- US may limit items collected at Vietnam Vets memorial Updated: Feb-09-16 6:30 pm
WASHINGTON - The National Park Service is considering limiting the items it collects at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.
- Indiana State Museum unveils mallet tied to Abraham Lincoln Updated: Feb-09-16 6:15 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - A wooden mallet inlaid with the initials "A.L" was made by Abraham Lincoln, who used it during his Indiana youth to make furniture, Indiana State Museum officials said Tuesday in unveiling the artifact that had been a family's secret heirloom for five generations.