- Iowa woman writes letters to prison inmates for decades Updated: May-24-15 11:02 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - Jean Basinger writes letters to prison inmates in Iowa. She has done this for 30 years.
- North Texas man set to die June 3 loses federal appeal Updated: May-22-15 10:52 am
HOUSTON - A North Texas man facing execution in less than two weeks for the fatal shootings of four men more than 30 years ago has lost a federal court appeal.
- Bentley signs Alabama prison overcrowding legislation Updated: May-21-15 7:01 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley on Thursday signed into law sweeping changes to sentencing and probation standards aimed at relieving severe overcrowding in the state prison system.
- Nevada lawmakers approve money for execution chamber in Ely Updated: May-20-15 3:57 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Nevada lawmakers on Wednesday approved spending about $860,000 on a new execution chamber at the remote Ely State Prison, the maximum security facility in eastern Nevada where the state's death row inmates are held.
- Texas obtains new supply of pentobarbital for execution use Updated: May-14-15 6:01 pm
HOUSTON - The Texas Department of Criminal Justice has purchased a new supply of drugs that will allow the prison agency to at least carry out two executions scheduled for June, officials said Thursday.
- Ohio bill would bar execution of the seriously mentally ill Updated: May-13-15 5:46 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - An Ohio proposal would ban the execution of killers who had a serious mental illness at the time they committed the offense.
- Death penalty repeal bill fails to clear House committee Updated: May-13-15 3:39 pm
A bill to abolish Delaware's death penalty failed to clear a House committee Wednesday after winning narrow passage in the Senate, the same fate suffered by similar legislation two years ago.
- Houston man convicted of killing 3 put to death Updated: May-12-15 8:07 pm
HUNTSVILLE, Texas - A Texas inmate was executed Tuesday for the killings of his 15-year-old girlfriend, her mother and her grandfather nearly 13 years ago in Houston.
- Texas Senate OKs keeping execution drug suppliers secret Updated: May-11-15 8:43 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - The identity of Texas' lethal drug supplier would remain confidential under a measure the Republican-controlled state Senate gave initial approval to Monday - a move that rebuffs calls to lift the secrecy over execution drugs in the nation's busiest death chamber.
- AP news guide: lethal injection drug in Tennessee Updated: May-06-15 5:58 pm
KNOXVILLE, Tennessee - Thirty-four death-row inmates in Tennessee are challenging the state's lethal injections protocols. On Wednesday, their attorneys asked the state Supreme Court to let them challenge Tennessee's backup method of execution as well: the electric chair.
- Alabama editorial roundup Updated: May-06-15 12:37 pm
Recent editorials from Alabama newspapers:
- Pace of death sentences, executions slows in Virginia Updated: May-03-15 1:16 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - A prosecutor's decision not to seek a death penalty for the man accused of abducting and killing a University of Virginia student is emblematic of capital punishment's decline across the country and in the state that once operated one of the busiest execution chambers in the nation.
- Manufacturer asks Oklahoma to return any execution drugs Updated: Apr-30-15 10:20 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - The Illinois-based manufacturer of a drug used in Oklahoma's lethal injection process is asking the state to return any supplies it may have obtained and not to use its products to execute prisoners.
- Supreme Court debates challenge to execution drug Updated: Apr-29-15 4:29 pm
WASHINGTON - Supreme Court justices engaged in an impassioned debate Wednesday about capital punishment, trading unusually combative words in a case involving a drug used in several botched executions.
- Australia wary of escalating rift after Indonesia executions Updated: Apr-29-15 2:04 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - Australia said it would withdraw its ambassador to Indonesia after two Australians were among eight drug traffickers executed by the Southeast Asian country Wednesday, but was wary of escalating hostilities with its neighbor despite a public outcry.
- Profiles of 8 drug traffickers executed in Indonesia Updated: Apr-28-15 9:44 pm
CILACAP, Indonesia - Indonesia early Wednesday executed eight people convicted of drug smuggling, according to foreign governments and local media reports, although a Philippine woman was granted a stay of execution.
- Indonesia's attorney general says female Philippines drug convict spared from execution Updated: Apr-28-15 2:55 pm
CILACAP, Indonesia - Indonesia's attorney general says female Philippines drug convict spared from execution.
- UN chief appeals to Indonesia to stop planned executions Updated: Apr-25-15 5:07 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The U.N. chief is appealing to Indonesia to stop the planned executions of nine foreigners and one local who were convicted for drug crimes.