- With drones in tow, Anderson debuts 'Junun' documentary Updated: Oct-08-15 5:05 pm
NEW YORK - Paul Thomas Anderson premiered his first documentary, "Junun," on Thursday at the New York Film Festival, unveiling a sonically rich portrait of Indian musicians recording an album with Radiohead's Johnny Greenwood.
- High-tech firm's plans to make drones in NY spark questions Updated: Oct-08-15 4:06 pm
RIVERHEAD, New York - A plan to manufacture solar-powered drones at a suburban New York site that once made fighter jets for the U.S. military is sparking questions about whether the aircraft will be used to beam Internet service. So far, company officials are staying mum.
- Pittsburgh City Council seeks to ban drones from city parks Updated: Oct-08-15 2:33 pm
PITTSBURGH - Pittsburgh City Council is seeking to restrict the flight of drones and other aerial activities from city parks and playgrounds due to growing privacy and safety concerns.
- Government tests technology to find illegal drone operators Updated: Oct-07-15 3:56 pm
WASHINGTON - The Federal Aviation Administration has signed an agreement to test technology that could locate the operators of small drones that are flying illegally near airports, as the government tries to crack down on near-collisions with manned aircraft.
- Man charged in radio-controlled drone flight at NY Capitol Updated: Oct-07-15 2:55 pm
ALBANY, New York - State Police say the operator of a small radio-controlled hobby drone flying over New York's Capitol last month has been charged with reckless endangerment.
- NY Air Guard unit completes 1st solo drone combat mission Updated: Oct-07-15 3:05 am
NIAGARA FALLS, New York - A western New York-based Air National Guard unit that has made the shift from flying manned aircraft to operating remotely piloted drones has completed its first operational mission overseas without the help of other U.S. air units.
- FAA proposes nearly $2 million fine against drone operator Updated: Oct-06-15 3:26 pm
WASHINGTON - The Federal Aviation Administration on Tuesday proposed a record $1.9 million fine against an aerial photography company for flying drones in crowded New York and Chicago airspace without permission.
- North Dakota drone team goes to Canada to study wildlife Updated: Oct-02-15 6:06 pm
FARGO, North Dakota - Scientists from the American Museum of Natural History who have spent five decades studying ecology in the polar bear capital of Canada had help this past summer from an unmanned aircraft team from the University of North Dakota.
- NYC teacher gets community service for US Open drone crash Updated: Oct-02-15 12:00 pm
NEW YORK - A New York City high school teacher who accidentally crashed his drone at the U.S. Open tennis tournament has been ordered to perform five days of community service.
- Grant will help develop drones used to study severe storms Updated: Sep-30-15 1:38 pm
BOULDER, Colorado - A proposal to use drones to study severe storms has received a boost from a $1.9 million federal grant to refine the aircraft and some of the instruments they carry.
- New US sanctions illustrate sprawling Islamic State network Updated: Sep-29-15 4:59 pm
WASHINGTON - The U.S. government announced sanctions Tuesday against 25 people and five groups connected to the Islamic State, disclosing intelligence that depicts a sprawling international organization with tentacles across Europe, Asia and the Middle East.
- Drones again banned from Balloon Fiesta Updated: Sep-29-15 1:50 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - The Federal Aviation Administration will monitor the Balloon Fiesta again to make sure drones are kept out.
- MnDOT testing drones as bridge inspectors Updated: Sep-29-15 8:26 am
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - The Minnesota Department of Transportation has found drones to be reliably helpful in bridge inspections.
- Rare US success in Syria, Iraq: Finding senior militants Updated: Sep-28-15 12:32 pm
WASHINGTON - A dedicated manhunt by the CIA, the National Security Agency and the military's Joint Special Operations Command has been methodically finding and killing senior militants in Syria and Iraq, in one of the few clear success stories of the U.S. military campaign in those countries.
- Drones used in search for missing in Central Texas flooding Updated: Sep-26-15 12:34 pm
CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas - Aerial drones from a Texas university proved useful in the search for bodies and mapping debris-strewn terrain following deadly flash flooding along the Blanco River this spring, according to the head of the university's unmanned aircraft program.
- As UN peacekeeping veers toward counterterror, US steps in Updated: Sep-26-15 10:38 am
UNITED NATIONS - Along a quiet cease-fire line in Cyprus, U.N. peacekeepers handle an increasingly old-fashioned job: actually keeping the peace. The last deadly incident was in 1996. Today's challenges include keeping poachers and rogue farmers out of no man's land. "Most of the time we don't wear weapons," said the force commander, Maj. Gen. Kristin Lund.
- NFL gets permission for limited use of drones Updated: Sep-24-15 5:28 pm
NEW YORK - The NFL's sky-high popularity will now include drones.
- Drone-inspired rules may chase model airplane club from park Updated: Sep-24-15 11:32 am
MILFORD, Pennsylvania - Blame the drones.
- FAA: No drones in DC, NYC or Philadelphia during pope visit Updated: Sep-24-15 2:00 am
NEW YORK - The Federal Aviation Administration is reminding people that New York City, Philadelphia and Washington, D.C. have been declared temporary no drone zones during the pope's visit to the U.S.
- Insect researcher: Drones will help feed growing population Updated: Sep-23-15 8:38 pm
GRAND FORKS, North Dakota - A college professor who studies insects said Wednesday that unmanned aircraft can help grow better crops and produce more food, but it's going to take more cooperation among researchers to pull it off.
- Report: Iran unveils locally-made reconnaissance drone Updated: Sep-23-15 8:44 am
TEHRAN, Iran - Iran's semi-official Tasnim news agency is reporting that the country's army has unveiled a new locally-made reconnaissance drone that can stay aloft for up to six hours.
- Inmate, 2 others indicted in plot to fly drone over prison Updated: Sep-22-15 6:38 pm
CUMBERLAND, Maryland - Corrections officials say an inmate serving a life sentence for conspiracy to murder is one of three men indicted in an alleged plot to use a drone to fly contraband into a prison.
- Drone delays Oregon high school football game Updated: Sep-22-15 10:56 am
MEDFORD, Oregon - Officials briefly stopped an Oregon high school football game last week because of a drone.
- Somali man alleges Germany complicit in deadly drone strike Updated: Sep-22-15 9:33 am
BERLIN - A Somali man has filed a complaint against the German government alleging it is partly responsible for the death of his herdsman father in a 2012 U.S. drone stroke.
- Public meeting set to discuss ND unmanned aircraft test site Updated: Sep-22-15 6:01 am
GRAND FORKS, North Dakota - A public meeting is scheduled to talk about business opportunities and other plans for North Dakota's unmanned aircraft test site.