- State seeks dismissal of lawsuit over governor's admin order Updated: Apr-29-16 6:12 am
JUNEAU, Alaska - The Alaska Department of Law is asking a judge to dismiss a lawsuit against the state and Gov. Bill Walker. The lawsuit challenges a February administrative order folding the agency responsible for regulating the state's commercial fisheries into the Alaska Department of Fish and Game.
- Officials set up temporary center to solve Benefind issues Updated: Apr-29-16 6:04 am
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - State officials have created a "tactical operations center" meant to improve the flow of aid to Kentuckians in need.
- Racist statements lead lawmakers to reject John Wayne Day Updated: Apr-29-16 5:13 am
SACRAMENTO, California - What a California lawmaker intended as a benign resolution honoring a late, world-renowned movie icon exploded into an emotional debate over decades-old racist comments.
- Md. governor to outline Zika prevention efforts Updated: Apr-29-16 5:03 am
ANNAPOLIS, Maryland - Gov. Larry Hogan is scheduled to outline Zika virus prevention and awareness efforts in Maryland.
- State high court to consider case related to redistricting Updated: Apr-29-16 4:54 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - The Virginia Supreme Court will consider whether current and former state senators need to provide records related to a redistricting lawsuit.
- Supreme Court rules fired dispatcher should get new trial Updated: Apr-29-16 4:12 am
BRIDGEWATER, New Jersey - New Jersey's Supreme Court says a former dispatcher who says she was discriminated against because she refused to work the midnight shift should get a new trial on her claims that she was unfairly terminated.
- Lawmaker accused of harassment is all alone with his M&Ms Updated: Apr-29-16 3:51 am
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Amid the frenzied negotiations, flaring tempers and occasional frivolity marking the end of another Tennessee legislative session, one lawmaker stayed conspicuously alone and quiet.
- Arizona House adding school cash to break budget stalemate Updated: Apr-29-16 3:32 am
PHOENIX - An Arizona House committee appeared poised to add millions in spending for K-12 education to break a stalemate that stalled a budget deal for several days as it prepared to work into the early hours Friday.
- House votes to ban sex offenders as door-to-door salesmen Updated: Apr-29-16 3:21 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Convicted sex offenders would be barred from working as door-to-door salesmen in Louisiana under a proposal that sailed through the House.
- Lawmakers name lane cake as state cake of Alabama Updated: Apr-29-16 3:20 am
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama has an official state bird, nut, fruit and even crustacean.
- Former SS Auschwitz guard to testify at his trial in Germany Updated: Apr-29-16 3:13 am
DETMOLD, Germany - A 94-year-old former SS sergeant plans to make his first statement to a German court since his trial opened in February on 170,000 counts of accessory to murder over allegations he served as a guard at the Nazis' Auschwitz death camp.
- The Latest: House adding education cash to break stalemate Updated: Apr-29-16 2:22 am
PHOENIX - The Latest on action on an Arizona budget proposal (all times local):
- Iowa lawmakers to return to Capitol for more budget talks Updated: Apr-29-16 2:19 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - Iowa lawmakers attempting to finish up the legislative session are returning to the Capitol after failing to reach compromise on several budget issues, including state funding for Planned Parenthood.
- Sagebrush project creates landscape of cooperation Updated: Apr-29-16 2:05 am
RUSH VALLEY, Utah - The distrust and ongoing litigation often entrenched in the relationship between the federal government and the state of Utah over public lands management was nowhere to be found among the sagebrush in Tooele County recently.
- House approves prison construction after lengthy debate Updated: Apr-29-16 12:34 am
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - The House of Representatives on Thursday approved Gov. Robert Bentley's $800 million prison construction proposal, but with a major condition.
- Senate Democrats proposing boosting minimum wage to $12 Updated: Apr-29-16 12:16 am
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Democrats in the Connecticut Senate are proposing to further increase the state's minimum wage to $12 an hour by 2020.
- House approves split of settlement money from BP oil spill Updated: Apr-28-16 11:48 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - The Alabama House of Representatives on Thursday approved a compromise plan for doling out settlement money from the 2010 oil spill - one that could help stave off cuts in Medicaid this fall.
- Presidential primaries for 2020 approved in Colorado House Updated: Apr-28-16 11:17 pm
DENVER - A plan to revive the presidential primaries in Colorado has cleared a big hurdle in the state Legislature.
- The Latest: Powder sent to Trump office deemed harmless Updated: Apr-28-16 11:05 pm
WASHINGTON - The Latest on campaign 2016 (all times Eastern):
- Kasich, Cruz to get some delegates despite Trump landslide Updated: Apr-28-16 10:29 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Rhode Island gave GOP presidential candidate Donald Trump his biggest majority of any state primary this year, but it's awarding a consolation prize that's a significant gain for Ohio Gov. John Kasich.
- Sanders, Kasich visit Oregon as presidential hopes slip Updated: Apr-28-16 10:20 pm
PORTLAND, Oregon - Republican John Kasich and Democrat Bernie Sanders rolled through Oregon on Thursday, hoping to keep their ailing campaigns alive with rallies the state rarely sees from presidential hopefuls ahead of its mid-spring primary.
- Deal ends fight between solar firm, utility for now Updated: Apr-28-16 10:11 pm
PHOENIX - A deal between the nation's largest solar company and Arizona's biggest utility announced Thursday means competing measures asking voters about how to treat rooftop solar power are being withdrawn.
- Hawaii lawmakers push renewable energy storage incentives Updated: Apr-28-16 9:55 pm
HONOLULU - Hawaii has the highest rate of residents using solar panels in the nation, and lawmakers want to extend the state's leadership role by offering incentives or rebates to those who buy batteries to store their renewable energy.
- Colorado's Blaha, Frazier fail to make GOP US Senate primary Updated: Apr-28-16 9:55 pm
DENVER - Colorado businessman Robert Blaha, who invested $1 million of his own money for the chance to challenge Democratic U.S. Sen. Michael Bennet, and former Aurora city councilman Ryan Frazier failed to gather enough voter signatures to make the Republican primary ballot, the state's top elections official said Thursday.
- EPA paying $1 million in response costs after mine spill Updated: Apr-28-16 9:36 pm
DENVER - The Environmental Protection Agency said Thursday it is reimbursing states, tribes and local governments about $1 million for their costs after the agency accidentally triggered a massive wastewater spill from a Colorado mine.