- City Council approves plans for new Los Angeles soccer venue Updated: May-06-16 3:24 pm
LOS ANGELES - The City Council on Friday approved plans to build a $250 million stadium for Major League Soccer's expansion Los Angeles Football Club.
- Canadian convoy begins, hoping to flee wildfire zone Updated: May-06-16 3:22 pm
FORT MCMURRAY, Alberta - A massive convoy was under way Friday to move evacuees stranded at oil field camps north of fire-ravaged Fort McMurray, Alberta, through the community to safe areas south of the Canadian oil sands capital.
- Pima County asks for dismissal of space company lawsuit Updated: May-06-16 3:00 pm
TUCSON, Arizona - Pima County is asking a court to throw out a lawsuit by the Goldwater Institute over a multi-million-dollar deal the county made with a balloon spaceflight company in Tucson.
- Ex-teacher gets 10 years for child pornography found in classroom Updated: May-06-16 2:57 pm
PHOENIX - A 51-year-old former substitute teacher has been sentenced to 10 years in prison in a case that started when a flash drive with child pornography was found in a Phoenix classroom.
- Sadiq Khan leads London race, could be 1st Muslim mayor Updated: May-06-16 2:41 pm
LONDON - Labour Party politician Sadiq Khan, the son of a bus driver from Pakistan, led London's mayoral race Friday, opening a lead over Conservative rival Zac Goldsmith that left him poised to be the city's first Muslim mayor.
- Gun owner sues St. Cloud over firearms ordinance Updated: May-06-16 1:42 pm
ST. CLOUD, Minnesota - A man arrested in St. Cloud for openly carrying an assault rifle is suing the city, claiming his constitutional rights were violated.
- Trump sweep of GOP field deflates federal land transfer push Updated: May-06-16 1:22 pm
CHEYENNE, Wyoming - Donald Trump's apparent lock on the Republican presidential nomination means advocates of large-scale transfers of federal lands to states in the West likely won't find support in the White House regardless of who wins election this November.
- Russian, Syrian officials deny their planes hit refugee camp Updated: May-06-16 1:16 pm
BEIRUT - Russian and Syrian officials denied Friday that their aircraft struck a camp for people displaced by fighting in an airstrike that killed 28 the previous evening. The denials came as activists said a coalition of rebels and militants, including Syria's al-Qaida branch, seized a strategic village from pro-government forces near the contested city of Aleppo.
- Prosecutor supports plan to reduce jail population Updated: May-06-16 12:38 pm
SPOKANE, Washington - Spokane County's plan to reduce jail overcrowding using a $1.75 million grant from the MacArthur Foundation has the support of Prosecutor Larry Haskell, as long as it doesn't compromise public safety.
- Bugged by bedbugs, Maine capital city passes emergency rules Updated: May-06-16 11:44 am
AUGUSTA, Maine - The City Council in Maine's capital city has adopted an emergency bedbug ordinance to give officials rules they say are needed to fight infestations of the pests.
- Suspect in campus stabbing says in outburst he is no killer Updated: May-06-16 11:39 am
FORT VALLEY, Georgia - In a profanity-laced courtroom outburst, a former college student accused of stabbing a freshman to death and wounding a security officer said he is not a killer.
- Firm seeks new spot for hog plant after Mason City says no Updated: May-06-16 11:16 am
MASON CITY, Iowa - Prestage Farms is pressing forward with plans to build a hog processing plant somewhere in Iowa, now that Mason City has said no.
- Judge strikes down St. Louis County policing measure Updated: May-06-16 11:13 am
CLAYTON, Missouri - A St. Louis County judge has ruled that the county cannot require police departments in 57 cities and towns to adhere to a set of standards for the use of force, vehicle pursuits and other matters.
- Candidates asked to unite vs Filipino mayor likened to Trump Updated: May-06-16 10:56 am
MANILA, Philippines - The Philippine leader Friday made a desperate call on presidential candidates to agree to an alliance to defeat a front-running mayor he describes as a threat to democracy.
- Hawaii County moves forward with composting plan Updated: May-06-16 10:11 am
HILO, Hawaii - Hawaii County has approved more than $10 million for a new composting facility capable of turning green waste into compost for the public to buy.
- Mayor and IndyCar still open to race in Boston Updated: May-06-16 9:51 am
BOSTON - Boston and IndyCar officials are keeping the door open after a plan for a race in the city this year collapsed.
- Delaware City votes to annex Fort DuPont property Updated: May-06-16 9:49 am
DELAWARE CITY, Delaware - With officials hoping to turn Delaware City into a premier waterfront destination, city residents have voted to extend municipal borders to include the site of a 325-acre residential and retail project being built near the deteriorating Fort DuPont.
- Lawmakers agree to give police more rights to seize guns Updated: May-06-16 9:41 am
PRAGUE - The lower house of the Czech Parliament has approved a government plan to give police increased powers to seize guns and ammunition, a move prompted by a rare deadly shooting in a small-town restaurant last year.
- Nebraska board OKs South Sioux City horse racing project Updated: May-06-16 8:29 am
SOUTH SIOUX CITY, Nebraska - Nebraska regulators have approved plans for a horse track and simulcast wagering facility at the site of the former Atokad Downs in South Sioux City.
- Aquino's pick for Philippine president banks on clean image Updated: May-06-16 8:26 am
MANILA, Philippines - A U.S.-educated investment banker and the richest Philippine presidential aspirant, Mar Roxas lacks the dramatic life stories of his rivals, including a tough-talking mayor with a public vow to dump criminals in Manila Bay and a foundling who made it big in politics.
- Man gets 25 years in prison for shooting of bicycle thief Updated: May-06-16 8:12 am
NEW ORLEANS - An Orleans Parish judge has sentenced a former New Orleans police recruit to 25 years in prison for manslaughter.
- Task force to recommend how Austin police should ID gender Updated: May-06-16 7:41 am
AUSTIN, Texas - The Austin City Council has endorsed creating a task force to help police better identify a person's gender.
- 'Moral character' clause an issue in taxi licensing rules Updated: May-06-16 7:35 am
DEVILS LAKE, North Dakota - The owner of a taxicab company in Devils Lake is taking issue with the inclusion of a "moral character" clause in the city's updated taxi licensing ordinance.
- Lawyer says port was right to deny contractor's $44M bid Updated: May-06-16 5:55 am
GULFPORT, Mississippi - A lawyer for the Mississippi State Port Authority told a judge Thursday that the board acted rightfully when it denied a $44 million contract to W.C "Cotton" Fore.
- Bomb threats called in to 3 North Carolina courthouses Updated: May-06-16 1:49 am
SYLVA, North Carolina - Authorities say three courthouses in Western North Carolina have received bomb threats.