- Flint official: $30M from state for water bills not enough Updated: Feb-09-16 5:57 am
FLINT, Michigan - Flint's city administrator says $30 million to help pay water bills isn't enough to counteract the effect of the crisis with lead-tainted water on city finances.
- Indianapolis officials pass ordinance to help homeless Updated: Feb-09-16 5:57 am
INDIANAPOLIS - Indianapolis officials have passed an ordinance meant to offer new protections and assistance to the city's homeless.
- Ex-official sentenced in Indianapolis Land Bank bribery Updated: Feb-09-16 5:29 am
INDIANAPOLIS - Federal authorities say a former Indianapolis city official has been sentenced after being found guilty of accepting bribes and kickbacks while overseeing a program that sells vacant and tax-delinquent properties.
- Jury awards crash victim $1M after drunk-driving wreck Updated: Feb-09-16 4:53 am
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - A Richland County jury has awarded about $1 million in punitive damages to a woman injured in a car crash involving a repeat drunken driver.
- Egyptian lawyer to sue NJ borough over UN residence denial Updated: Feb-09-16 4:09 am
EAST RUTHERFORD, New Jersey - An attorney for the Egyptian government says they expect to sue after a northern New Jersey borough rejected plans to turn a building once owned by the Franciscan Friars into a residence for its mission in the United Nations.
- Pennsylvania sets new budget-day mark in historic gridlock Updated: Feb-09-16 1:59 am
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - Pennsylvania government will set a modern state record for gridlock when Gov. Tom Wolf sends lawmakers a new spending plan and warns them that they must fix the deficit and fully fund schools, or force schools to close and local taxes to increase.
- Mayor: state of emergency for Big Island dengue outbreak Updated: Feb-08-16 9:59 pm
HILO, Hawaii - Hawaii County Mayor Billy Kenoi is declaring the island's ongoing dengue fever outbreak a state of emergency.
- Mayor of Super Bowl host city says he's retiring this week Updated: Feb-08-16 8:32 pm
SANTA CLARA, California - The Mayor of Santa Clara says he is retiring as of Tuesday, just two days after his city hosted Super Bowl 50.
- State inmates return to Alcorn County facility Updated: Feb-08-16 7:48 pm
CORINTH, Mississippi - The Mississippi Department of Corrections has placed state inmates in the Alcorn County Regional Facility again because of the new administration.
- Lead contamination of Flint water draws multiple lawsuits Updated: Feb-08-16 7:11 pm
DETROIT - One lawsuit seeks to replace lead-leaching water lines at no cost to customers. Another seeks money for thousands of Flint residents who unwittingly drank toxic water. A third complaint has been filed on behalf of people with Legionnaires' disease.
- City, county departments save thousands with low gas prices Updated: Feb-08-16 5:30 pm
LINCOLN, Nebraska - Several city and county departments have seen their fuel budgets drop with unleaded gasoline below $2 a gallon at most Lincoln-area gas stations.
- DOJ agreement could cost Ferguson $3.7 million in first year Updated: Feb-08-16 4:57 pm
FERGUSON, Missouri - Ferguson's cost of implementing reforms spelled out in a consent agreement with the U.S. Department of Justice could approach $4 million in the first year alone, according to new estimates that further raise questions about whether the community can afford it.
- Despite defeat, NYC mayor vows to revive horse carriage deal Updated: Feb-08-16 4:48 pm
NEW YORK - New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio (dih BLAH'-zee-oh) is insisting that he will try to revive a plan to limit carriage horses.
- Drew Peterson murder-for-hire trial again postponed Updated: Feb-08-16 4:37 pm
CHESTER, Illinois - The southern Illinois murder-for-hire trial of former suburban Chicago police officer Drew Peterson has again been postponed.
- The Latest: Former Mayor Buddy Cianci laid to rest Updated: Feb-08-16 4:32 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The Latest on Buddy Cianci, the wisecracking politician who led the city of Providence during a turbulent and troubled six terms as mayor, being laid to rest (all times local):
- TV ads hit airwaves ahead of Wisconsin Supreme Court primary Updated: Feb-08-16 4:31 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Television ads are hitting the airwaves as Wisconsin's Supreme Court race heads into its final week before a primary whittles the three-candidate field down to two contenders.
- Pinal jail commander reassigned during credit-card probe Updated: Feb-08-16 3:45 pm
FLORENCE, Arizona - The Pinal County Sheriff's Office says Superior Mayor Jayme Valenzuela has been reassigned from his job as county jail commander while alleged misuse of a town charge card is investigated.
- Providence says goodbye to colorful ex-Mayor Buddy Cianci Updated: Feb-08-16 3:30 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Providence said goodbye on Monday to former Mayor Buddy Cianci, the wisecracking king of one-liners who led the city during a turbulent and troubled six terms.
- North Jersey casino vote bill advances without key details Updated: Feb-08-16 3:01 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - A plan to let New Jersey voters decide in November whether to authorize two new casinos in the northern part of the state is moving forward in the Legislature.
- Mayor Tom Barrett confident despite homicides, police review Updated: Feb-08-16 2:36 pm
MILWAUKEE - Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett struck a confident tone during his State of the City address Monday morning, despite a spike in homicides and a federal review of the city's police department.
- Chicago teen's death shines light on police code of silence Updated: Feb-08-16 2:30 pm
CHICAGO - For more than a year after an officer shot and killed a black teen named Laquan McDonald, the Chicago Police Department had video footage that raised serious doubts about whether other officers at the scene tried in their reports to cover up what prosecutors now contend was murder.
- Utah residents to use caucus system for presidential primary Updated: Feb-08-16 1:33 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Utah voters will select their preferred presidential nominees using a caucus system rather than a traditional primary election.
- Displaced by fighting, Kurdish residents call for peace Updated: Feb-08-16 1:20 pm
DIYARBAKIR, Turkey - Azize Calis is pleading for peace.
- Pope's visit to violent Mexican city highlights broader ills Updated: Feb-08-16 12:19 pm
ECATEPEC, Mexico - One evening in September 2014, Mariana Yanez left her home in this crime-plagued Mexico City suburb saying she was going to make some photocopies. Then she vanished.
- Officials consider expansion to Seattle water taxi Updated: Feb-08-16 12:12 pm
SEATTLE - Washington's King County is considering expanding a water taxi service in Seattle.