- The Latest on Waco shooting: Biker group gets proclamation Updated: May-22-15 6:37 pm
5:15 p.m. CDT
- Mexican official: About 40 dead in shootout in cartel area Updated: May-22-15 6:17 pm
MEXICO CITY - About 40 people were killed Friday in what authorities described as a large-scale shootout between law enforcement and criminal suspects in western Mexico.
- Son of Mobile mayor accused of impersonating officer Updated: May-22-15 6:02 pm
MOBILE, Alabama - The son of Mobile Mayor Sandy Stimpson is accused of impersonating a peace officer.
- Pacolet Mayor Elaine Harris dies after fighting cancer Updated: May-22-15 5:53 pm
PACOLET, South Carolina - Elaine Harris, the mayor of Pacolet since 2001, has died after a long battle with cancer. She was 68.
- Local ban nullified by state, fracking resumes in Denton Updated: May-22-15 5:50 pm
DENTON, Texas - A North Texas city whose fracking ban prompted lawmakers to limit such local power says a driller has revealed plans to resume fracking gas wells in the city.
- Touting repaired boardwalk, de Blasio ventures to Rockaways Updated: May-22-15 5:44 pm
NEW YORK - For the second straight day, Bill de Blasio is venturing to a section of New York City where he has not always received the warmest of welcomes.
- Steep drop in oil, gas valuations upending county budgets Updated: May-22-15 5:32 pm
WICHITA, Kansas - People and businesses in Kansas' energy-producing counties may be paying more in property taxes or face cuts in local government services in the wake of the cheaper gasoline prices.
- Court sides with Iowa City in 12-year dispute with landlord Updated: May-22-15 5:17 pm
IOWA CITY, Iowa - Officials in Iowa City did not violate a landlord's constitutional rights by enforcing an employment discrimination ordinance that was later ruled invalid, the Iowa Supreme Court ruled Friday.
- Cannady next tax assessor in Madison County Updated: May-22-15 4:50 pm
CANTON, Mississippi - Norman Cannady will be the next tax assessor in Madison County following an opponent's withdrawal from the August primary.
- Proposed Kansas City hotel clears hurdle with officials' OK Updated: May-22-15 4:49 pm
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - A proposed Kansas City hotel has cleared a hurdle with city officials approving plans in helping finance the $302 million project.
- Era ends in Charleston as mayor opens his last Spoleto Updated: May-22-15 2:59 pm
CHARLESTON, South Carolina - Charleston Mayor Joseph P. Riley Jr., who helped establish the internationally known Spoleto Festival USA in South Carolina nearly four decades ago, took a final bow Friday as he opened his last festival.
- Romanian ex-mayor sentenced to prison for real estate deals Updated: May-22-15 1:39 pm
BUCHAREST, Romania - A Romanian court has sentenced a former Bucharest district mayor to eight years in prison for illegally selling the city's real estate at a price far below its market value.
- NY pension fund return tops 7 percent in 2014, hits $183B Updated: May-22-15 12:26 pm
ALBANY, New York - The New York pension fund for state and local government workers has risen to a record $183.5 billion following an investment return of 7.16 percent last year, the state comptroller reported Friday.
- Caretaker of former Brown memorial denies discarding items Updated: May-22-15 10:47 am
FERGUSON, Missouri - The caretaker of stuffed animals and other mementoes from a former mid-street Ferguson memorial to Michael Brown denies discarding many of the items from the makeshift shrine after they were removed this week.
- Rome mayor wants Olympic medal ceremonies at Colosseum Updated: May-22-15 10:35 am
ROME - Rome Mayor Ignazio Marino proposed Friday that medal ceremonies be held at the Colosseum if the Italian capital wins the bid to host the 2024 Olympics.
- Scottsdale Mayor Jim Lane to seek third term Updated: May-22-15 10:32 am
PHOENIX - Scottsdale Mayor Jim Lane has announced plans to run for a third term.
- Jury finds man not guilty in death of 8-month-old daughter Updated: May-22-15 9:46 am
GREENEVILLE, Tennessee - A Greene County Criminal Court jury has found a father not guilty in the killing of his eight-month-old daughter.
- Rockland County executive is undergoing cancer treatment Updated: May-22-15 9:17 am
NEW CITY, New York - Rockland County executive Ed Day is undergoing treatment for prostate cancer.
- Thompson ordered removed as judge Updated: May-22-15 9:05 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - Lee County Justice Court Judge Rickey Thompson has been removed from office by the Mississippi Supreme Court.
- Ala. county approves bigger tax breaks for Mercedes-Benz Updated: May-22-15 8:02 am
VANCE, Alabama - Tuscaloosa County officials have approved larger tax breaks for Mercedes-Benz to help offset expansion costs at the automaker's plant in Vance.
- Preservationist chosen to head NYC's Gracie Mansion Updated: May-22-15 8:00 am
NEW YORK - A preservationist has been chosen as executive director of the New York City mayor's official residence, Gracie Mansion.
- Misquamicut town official drops case against street vendors Updated: May-22-15 7:13 am
WESTERLY, Rhode Island - Officials say they no longer plan to prosecute two Misquamicut businessmen for selling ice cream and other frozen treats in an alleged violation of a street vendor ordinance.
- Durham accepting federal assistance on violence Updated: May-22-15 6:56 am
DURHAM, North Carolina - Durham city council has voted to let the U.S. Justice Department help the city deal with violent crime and police-community relations.
- Shelbyville to tap tax funds from 2nd business district Updated: May-22-15 5:15 am
SHELBYVILLE, Illinois - Shelbyville city officials are creating a second business district that will benefit from a 1 percent sales tax.
- Providence firefighters challenge mayor's new proposal Updated: May-22-15 4:44 am
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Providence firefighters are pushing back against the city's mayor over proposed changes in department costs.