- Man sentenced after police say he extorted a deaf person Updated: May-29-15 2:14 am
WESTFIELD, Massachusetts - A Springfield man has been sentenced to two years of probation and ordered to pay $13,000 in restitution for charges that he extorted money from a deaf person by pretending to be a police officer.
- Ex-nuclear plant contractor charged with terroristic threats Updated: May-28-15 5:48 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - A disgruntled contract employee who had been working at Xcel Energy's Monticello nuclear power plant harassed and threatened union officials before police discovered he had a carload of explosive materials and ammunition, prosecutors allege in a criminal complaint.
- Man charged with sending threatening letters to Malloy Updated: May-28-15 4:00 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - A New London man has been charged with sending threatening letters to Gov. Dannel P. Malloy.
- San Diego deputy kills man who threatened screwdriver attack Updated: May-28-15 9:19 am
EL CAJON, California - San Diego County sheriff's deputy shot and killed a reportedly suicidal man who threatened to attack a deputy with a screwdriver.
- After complaints, Chinese hotelier gets his government's ear Updated: May-28-15 3:47 am
BEIJING - In the wee hours of a March morning, a Chinese hotelier wrote a 5,000-word open letter to his country's premier and posted it on social media. The delicate topic: how local regulators capriciously enforce rules and extort bribes. Within days, officials came knocking.
- Trial set for man accused of threatening to kill Boehner Updated: May-28-15 3:20 am
CINCINNATI - A former Cincinnati-area bartender charged with threatening to kill House Speaker John Boehner faces federal trial June 30.
- Man on MTV's 'Catfish' accused of making fake threats in DC Updated: May-27-15 5:37 pm
WASHINGTON - A man once exposed on MTV's "Catfish" reality show about online scams was charged Wednesday with calling in fake threats against Metro stations, buses and trains in the nation's capital.
- Man gets prison for phoned-in threats to kill schoolchildren Updated: May-27-15 9:17 am
POTTSVILLE, Pennsylvania - A Pennsylvania man who phoned in threats to the county courthouse to kill schoolchildren so he could avoid paying court fines has been sentenced to prison.
- Investigation sought into threats sent to 2 Arizona mosques Updated: May-26-15 6:00 pm
PHOENIX - A civil rights group has asked the FBI to investigate a threatening letter sent to a Phoenix mosque that was once a place of worship for suspects in a shooting three weeks ago at a Texas cartoon contest featuring cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad.
- 5 Things to Know in Florida for May 27 Updated: May-26-15 5:27 pm
Your daily look at news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today.
- Police: NY principal threatened boy's dad in soccer flap Updated: May-24-15 2:32 pm
NEW YORK - Police say a suburban New York school principal threatened to use a baseball bat to attack the father of a 6-year-old soccer player he was coaching.
- Man who made threats against President Obama jailed Updated: May-23-15 5:29 pm
ATTLEBORO, Massachusetts - A Massachusetts man accused of threatening to kill President Barack Obama has been sent to jail.
- Cops: Man said he'd shoot road workers who wanted car moved Updated: May-22-15 8:34 am
SCRANTON, Pennsylvania - Police say a Pennsylvania man threatened to get a gun and shoot highway workers who were telling him to move his car.
- Prosecutors: Minnesota men who tried to join IS made threats Updated: May-22-15 12:22 am
MINNEAPOLIS - One Minnesota man accused of trying to travel to Syria to join the Islamic State group told an informant he'd kill FBI agents if they tried to stop him, while another told friends he'd "spit on America" at the U.S.-Mexico border, according to a document filed Thursday by prosecutors.
- Indiana man faces more charges in Facebook threat case Updated: May-21-15 5:03 pm
LAFAYETTE, Indiana - A federal grand jury has issued a second indictment with more charges against an Indiana man accused of threatening to blow up a courthouse and kill judges in a Facebook posting.
- Judge to consider dismissing online threats case Updated: May-21-15 11:29 am
KALISPELL, Montana - A judge is hearing arguments in June to dismiss charges against a man police say made online threats to schools and religious leaders, then stocked up on guns at his home.
- Police arrest man suspected of threatening to kill officers Updated: May-21-15 9:26 am
SACRAMENTO, California - A man is in custody after police say he made threats to kill officers and blow up a high school and a mall in Roseville, a city about 20 miles northeast of Sacramento.
- Man gets 6 years for trading sex for fixed drug tests Updated: May-21-15 5:05 am
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - A blood tech who made passes at women in return for fixing their drug test results has been sentenced to six years in prison.
- Woman arrested after bomb threat prompts LA evacuations Updated: May-20-15 7:49 pm
LOS ANGELES - Police have arrested a woman who they say made a bomb threat, prompting two buildings to be evacuated and streets to be closed in a bustling area of downtown Los Angeles.
- Convicted of extortion, 2 Clarksville attorneys suspended Updated: May-20-15 10:42 am
CLARKSVILLE, Tennessee - Two Clarksville attorneys found guilty of trying to extort $50,000 from a client have been suspended from practicing law by the Supreme Court of Tennessee.
- Man wrongly imprisoned for nearly 40 years sues detectives Updated: May-19-15 2:41 pm
CLEVELAND - A man who spent nearly 40 years in prison for a murder he did not commit filed a federal lawsuit on Tuesday against the city of Cleveland and the police officers whom he says helped frame him in 1975.
- Police say South Jordan man threatened officers with rifle Updated: May-18-15 9:36 am
SOUTH JORDAN, Utah - Police officers were able to reach a peaceful resolution with a South Jordan man holding a high-powered rifle who allegedly threatened to shoot officers.
- Cobb compares pricey judicial races to legalized extortion Updated: May-16-15 2:04 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - The phones rang. The donations flowed.
- Man accused of plotting to extort or harm real estate mogul Updated: May-15-15 5:14 pm
PHOENIX - A Scottsdale man has been arrested for allegedly trying to hire undercover police detectives to extort or harm a real estate mogul who won a $1.2 million lawsuit against him, authorities said Friday.
- Shooting victim's cousin acquitted of threat to Ohio officer Updated: May-14-15 2:49 pm
CLEVELAND - A relative of a woman killed in a hail of Cleveland police gunfire has been acquitted of threatening to kill the patrolman who's on trial in the shooting.