- EXCHANGE: Family takes precautions after son's 2 concussions Updated: Feb-10-16 7:30 am
FORSYTH, Illinois - Tricia Shumaker thought she knew what uncontrollable crying was, she has three kids.
- Browns deny lying about Johnny Manziel's concussion Updated: Feb-09-16 4:55 pm
CLEVELAND - The Browns are defending their handling of Johnny Manziel's late-season concussion.
- Woman wants charges after girl with injuries from 2010 dies Updated: Feb-09-16 7:06 am
GRANDVILLE, Michigan - A western Michigan woman who adopted a girl with severe brain injuries sustained as an infant wants charges after the 5-year-old girl's death.
- Vet's three-year battle with Montana VA ends in victory Updated: Feb-07-16 2:01 pm
GREAT FALLS, Montana - A Missoula veteran has won a victory in his three-year battle with the Veterans Administration over his traumatic brain injury.
- Despite troubles aplenty, NFL and Super Bowl popular as ever Updated: Feb-06-16 1:27 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - The headlines hit in a persistent stream this season, and the onslaught only grew steadier as the Super Bowl approached.
- Former LB Bill Romanowski: Most NFL players likely have CTE Updated: Feb-05-16 7:41 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Bill Romanowski sustained 20 documented concussions, and certainly more he doesn't know about, during his 16-year NFL career as a linebacker. He was hardly surprised to learn this week that late Raiders quarterback and Hall of Fame finalist Ken Stabler had been diagnosed with the brain disease CTE.
- Plaintiffs in NHL concussion case now count 105 ex-players Updated: Feb-05-16 2:55 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Long after the end of his NHL career, Steve Payne is living an empty-nest life with his wife and three dogs in western Wisconsin.
- J.J. Watt feels concussions are an expected injury Updated: Feb-05-16 12:30 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Houston Texans defensive end J.J. Watt says he knew concussions were a risk when he decided to play football, so he's not any more alarmed by the studies of prolonged head trauma suffered by NFL players.
- NFL critic crashes news conference about concussions Updated: Feb-04-16 9:39 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - An uninvited guest at the NFL's annual pre-Super Bowl news conference about health and safety, Chris Nowinski stood nearby and listened Thursday as one of the league's chief advisers about concussions declined to acknowledge a link between football and the brain disease called CTE.
- Concussions prompt UTSA QB Bogenschutz to quit football Updated: Feb-02-16 4:10 pm
SAN ANTONIO - Calling it "one of the toughest situations" in his life, UTSA sophomore quarterback Blake Bogenschutz said Tuesday he is giving up football because of lingering concussion-like symptoms.
- AP survey: Concussions not most NFL players' chief concern Updated: Feb-01-16 11:21 am
During a 15-year NFL career that sent him pinballing over the middle of the field too many times to count, absorbing hits as wicked as they come, former Denver Broncos receiver Brandon Stokley endured injuries that literally ran from head to toe.
- Aikman: experience can be 'overrated' going into Super Bowl Updated: Jan-27-16 7:44 pm
NEW YORK - If Cam Newton has the type of Super Bowl debut Troy Aikman did, the Carolina Panthers will be in good shape for the Super Bowl.
- Former NFL safety Sash diagnosed with CTE Updated: Jan-26-16 8:47 pm
IOWA CITY, Iowa - Former NFL and Iowa safety Tyler Sash, who died last year at age 27, has been diagnosed with chronic traumatic encephalopathy.
- Judge OKs reworked NCAA concussions deal - with changes Updated: Jan-26-16 6:36 pm
CHICAGO - A federal judge gave preliminary approval Tuesday to a reworked head-injury settlement between thousands of former athletes and the NCAA that includes a $70 million fund to pay for brain trauma testing and limits legal immunity for the nation's largest college sports governing body.
- Addiction treatment center operator to buy Lakeview property Updated: Jan-22-16 12:14 pm
EFFINGHAM, New Hampshire - An addiction treatment center operator is planning to buy the 72-acre property of an Effingham facility that used to treat people with brain injuries.
- Correction: Brain-Injured Senator story Updated: Jan-21-16 10:02 am
HARTFORD, Connecticut - In a story Jan. 20 about a car crash involving a Connecticut state senator, The Associated Press erroneously reported the date of the crash. It happened Jan. 14, not Dec. 14.