- Not even helmets help pro bull riders stave off concussions Updated: May-22-15 12:21 pm
SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota - Kasey Hayes hopped on the bovine beast trapped in the narrow holding pen like he'd done hundreds of times. He adjusted a tight rope on his left hand, found his balance and signaled he was ready to dominate the bull for the next eight seconds - or, at least, hoped to.
- NHL salary cap will climb to $71 million next season Updated: May-21-15 10:02 pm
CHICAGO - NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman expects the salary cap for the 2015-16 season to settle in around $71 million, depending on the fluctuations of the Canadian dollar.
- Lawyer: Duerson heirs won't appeal NFL concussion deal Updated: May-20-15 8:10 pm
PHILADELPHIA - The family of the late Chicago Bears safety Dave Duerson has decided not to appeal the potential $1 billion settlement of NFL concussion lawsuits.
- NFL's Nabel sees league as leader in player health, safety Updated: May-12-15 7:48 pm
NEW YORK - The NFL's chief medical adviser believes the league's player health initiatives will lead to safer conditions for all sports.
- Autopsy: NHL's Steve Montador had degenerative brain disease Updated: May-12-15 6:47 pm
TORONTO - Former NHL defenseman Steve Montador had a degenerative brain disease that has been linked to repeated blows to the head, according to researchers who autopsied his brain.
- Jury awards injured high school football player nearly $1M Updated: May-12-15 4:58 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - A former Iowa high school football player who suffered a serious head injury during practice has been awarded almost $1 million in a negligence case against the district and a school nurse.
- Court: Family mistakenly notified of woman's death can't sue Updated: May-08-15 11:14 pm
PHOENIX - For six days, the family of 19-year-old April Guerra mourned her death because they thought she was killed in a car wreck. It turns out, she wasn't.
- Kiwi rugby league player retires with concussion symptoms Updated: Apr-29-15 5:59 pm
ST. HELENS, England - Former New Zealand international Lance Hohaia says he is quitting rugby league because of "recurrent post-match concussion-type symptoms," more than six months after being knocked unconscious by an opponent's punch.
- EXCHANGE: Operation Horses and Heroes helping veterans Updated: Apr-29-15 6:08 am
WOODSTOCK, Illinois - Mike McGonigal had never saddled a horse before.
- Boy, 11, dies from head injuries suffered in ATV accident Updated: Apr-28-15 11:32 am
HAMDEN, New York - An 11-year-old upstate New York boy who was hospitalized after an all-terrain vehicle accident has died.
- 'Concern' about appeals of NFL concussion case settlement Updated: Apr-23-15 3:23 am
It's been four years since lawsuits connected to concussions were first filed against the NFL, and even now that a settlement agreement finally has been approved by a federal judge, none of the hundreds of millions of dollars available to thousands of former players will be paid until any appeals are heard - and, after that, until claims are assessed.