- Bill would give nurse practitioners more authority Updated: Mar-06-14 8:50 pm
- Obama seeks more federal spending to train doctors Updated: Feb-27-14 8:50 am
- Udall sponsors bill to increase primary care Updated: Feb-12-14 5:04 am
- 2 rural Wis. hospitals to stop delivering babies Updated: Feb-08-14 4:07 pm
- Hilo clinic to close, citing finances, few doctors Updated: Feb-07-14 4:28 pm
MIAMI - With a massive shortage of primary care physicians across Florida, state lawmakers are pushing a bill to expand the powers of nurse practitioners, allowing them to prescribe controlled substances like painkillers and work without supervision from a doctor.
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama will ask Congress to approve spending more than $5 billion on medical training to turn out some 13,000 primary care providers over the next 10 years.
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - U.S. Sen. Tom Udall wants to increase access to primary care services in New Mexico and across the country.
NEILLSVILLE, Wisconsin - Two hospitals in west-central Wisconsin will stop delivering babies, saying it's too hard to recruit doctors willing to assist with births at rural medical centers.
HILO, Hawaii - A Hilo clinic offering medical care tailored to Native Hawaiians plans to shut down next month after years of struggling with finances and a crippling doctor shortage.