- Huge blast at Spanish fireworks factory kills 5, wounds 3 Updated: Aug-31-15 12:43 pm
MADRID - A huge explosion Monday at a fireworks factory in northeastern Spain killed five people and seriously injured three others, police said.
- Search resumes for missing swimmer off San Diego beach Updated: Aug-31-15 12:07 pm
SAN DIEGO - Crews have resumed the search for a swimmer who went missing off Ocean Beach in San Diego.
- Big catch: Charter fishing boat rescues 2 men off Va. coast Updated: Aug-31-15 7:13 am
VIRGINIA BEACH, Virginia - A charter fishing boat landed an unexpected catch when the crew spotted something floating in the water.
- Missing hiker found in Sierra Nevada recovering from surgery Updated: Aug-30-15 8:55 pm
FRESNO, California - The family of a woman who was rescued after being stranded in the rugged Sierra Nevada for nine days said Sunday that she is recovering from surgery to set the broken bones on her lower left leg.
- Inmate who fled hospital after giving birth apprehended Updated: Aug-30-15 4:13 pm
SOUTH BEND, Indiana - Authorities say an inmate who fled a northern Indiana hospital three days after giving birth has been apprehended.
- Officials find body of missing 35-yar-old woman Updated: Aug-30-15 3:38 pm
GOFFSTOWN, New Hampshire - New Hampshire Fish and Game officials say they have found the body of a woman last seen in a Goffstown river.
- Search teams in Maine find 78-year-old Virginia hiker alive Updated: Aug-30-15 3:28 pm
MILLINOCKET, Maine - A 78-year-old hiker from Virginia who had been missing in Maine's Baxter State Park for three days has been found alive.
- Personal beacon hastens rescue of stranded hiker Updated: Aug-30-15 2:40 pm
JUNEAU, Alaska - A personal locator beacon that sends out GPS coordinates helped Juneau searchers find a stranded hiker on Friday.
- Md. woman rescued by helicopter after falling from rock face Updated: Aug-30-15 2:10 pm
ELKTON, Maryland - Maryland State Police emergency crews rescued a woman by helicopter after she'd fallen 60 feet down a rock face in Cecil County.
- Vincennes firefighters seek public's help buying rescue boat Updated: Aug-30-15 2:04 pm
VINCENNES, Indiana - Firefighters in the southwestern Indiana city of Vincennes are asking the public to help raise money to buy a boat for water rescues on the Wabash River.
- Phoenix police search for suspect who shot cab driver Updated: Aug-30-15 1:01 pm
PHOENIX - Police are searching for a man they say shot a Phoenix taxi cab driver after an argument over the fare.
- Warwick Fire Department awarded nearly $1M in federal grants Updated: Aug-30-15 11:56 am
WARWICK, Rhode Island - The Warwick Fire Department has been awarded nearly $1 million in federal funding for search and rescue training programs.
- Eckerd student arrives safe after 9-month-long sail with dog Updated: Aug-30-15 1:01 am
ST. PETERSBURG, Florida - For nine months, 19-year-old Sally Gardiner-Smith sailed alone with only her cockapoo for company. She would go four or five days without speaking to another human.
- Indiana farmer praises 'big farm boys' for tractor rescue Updated: Aug-29-15 1:38 pm
GREENSBURG, Indiana - A southeastern Indiana farmer whose tractor rolled over, leaving him pinned next to its lawn mower attachment's spinning blades, is praising a group of "big farm boys" for rescuing him.
- Baby girl rescued from fiery crash that killed parents Updated: Aug-29-15 12:59 pm
EASTON, California - A 6-month-old girl may owe her life to a man who rescued her from a fiery car crash in Fresno County that killed her parents.
- Libya migrant disaster death toll rises to 117 Updated: Aug-29-15 11:56 am
TRIPOLI, Libya - Rescue workers have recovered 12 more bodies off the Libyan coast, raising the death toll from the latest disaster for migrants trying to reach Europe by crossing the Mediterranean to 117, Libyan authorities said on Saturday.
- Hiker rescued by helicopter in New Hampshire Updated: Aug-29-15 11:07 am
FRANCONIA, New Hampshire - A hiker who reported having a medical emergency has been rescued by helicopter from New Hampshire's White Mountains.
- Europe's migrant crisis brings new death by land and sea Updated: Aug-28-15 4:28 pm
VIENNA - Death and desperation mounted in Europe's migrant crisis Friday as Austrian police said 71 people appeared to have suffocated in the back of an abandoned truck, while an estimated 200 people were feared drowned off Libya when two overloaded boats capsized.
- Police looking for father of toddler who shot himself Updated: Aug-28-15 1:56 pm
CLAYTON, Missouri - St. Louis County police are searching for the father of a 21-month-old boy who fatally shot himself last week after finding a loaded gun.
- Litchfield Park man sought in brother's stabbing Updated: Aug-28-15 11:50 am
LITCHFIELD PARK, Arizona - Authorities are searching for a Litchfield Park man they say stabbed his brother with a carving knife, leaving him severely injured.
- 200 feared dead in latest migrant disaster off Libya's coast Updated: Aug-28-15 9:50 am
ZUWARA, Libya - Libyan authorities were collecting the bodies of migrants who drowned off the coastal city of Zuwara, with some 200 feared dead on Friday in the latest disaster involving desperate people trying to reach Europe across the Mediterranean.
- The Latest: Red Crescent: At least 105 dead in sea off Libya Updated: Aug-28-15 8:47 am
GENEVA - Here are the latest developments Friday regarding the tens of thousands of migrants trying to reach Europe.
- Body of teen who disappeared while fishing recovered Updated: Aug-27-15 3:32 pm
MOUNT VERNON, Virginia - Fairfax County police say crews have recovered the body of a 16-year-old who disappeared while fishing along the Potomac River near Mount Vernon.
- Phony distress call leads to 1-year prison sentence Updated: Aug-27-15 2:03 pm
PORTLAND, Maine - A Maine man whose phony mayday call led to a seven-hour search by the U.S. Coast Guard was sentenced Thursday to a year in prison, and federal prosecutors said they hoped the penalty sends a message to other potential pranksters.
- River deaths on the rise in Sacramento Updated: Aug-27-15 8:55 am
SACRAMENTO, California - More people are drowning in two of Sacramento's rivers, and the drought may be partially responsible.