- NYC good Samaritans risk it all to save strangers Updated: Dec-07-13 11:02 am
- Injured hiker rescued in Lee, NH Updated: Dec-07-13 9:08 am
- Detroit dog group putting on pet assistance event Updated: Dec-07-13 4:04 am
- Officials: 20 whales spotted closer to shore Updated: Dec-06-13 5:41 pm
- Crews rescue stranded climber in Tenn. Updated: Dec-06-13 5:35 pm
- Correction: Obit-Kennedy Rescuer story Updated: Dec-06-13 5:06 pm
- Crews rescue stranded climber in Tennessee Updated: Dec-06-13 4:55 pm
- Bad weather impairs search for missing plane Updated: Dec-06-13 1:47 pm
- Police say NH teen missing 2 months contacted mom Updated: Dec-06-13 12:30 pm
- Coast Guard rescues 2 men after boat sinks Updated: Dec-06-13 11:49 am
- Deer hunter injured after falling from tree stand Updated: Dec-06-13 4:05 am
- Correction: Philippines-Typhoon story Updated: Dec-06-13 1:03 am
- Search for missing Tacoma woman in NE Wash. Updated: Dec-04-13 11:40 pm
- Riley County searching for 2 missing since 1981 Updated: Dec-04-13 12:11 pm
- Sheriff's officers search for missing Japanese man Updated: Dec-04-13 4:09 am
- Search finds no signs of missing man in Maine Updated: Dec-03-13 7:15 pm
- Somber tales of deadly voyage by Haitian migrants Updated: Dec-03-13 7:07 pm
- Nigerian man survives 3 days at bottom of Atlantic Updated: Dec-03-13 6:28 pm
- Crews continue search for missing boater Updated: Dec-03-13 9:26 am
- Firefighters rescue woman stuck between buildings Updated: Dec-03-13 9:26 am
- US Coast Guard searches ice for missing servicemen Updated: Dec-03-13 7:28 am
- Kennebec River searched in connection with slaying Updated: Dec-03-13 7:05 am
- Search for missing man to resume in Maine Updated: Dec-02-13 10:52 pm
- UK investigators: No emergency call from chopper Updated: Dec-02-13 5:09 pm
- Chevron resumes search for shale gas in Romania Updated: Dec-02-13 1:46 pm
NEW YORK - A personal trainer jumps down onto the subway tracks to save an unconscious man as a train barrels down. A trucker stops to pull a driver from a burning car. A quick-thinking plumber uses his belt as a tourniquet to save a woman badly injured in a crash.
LEE, New Hampshire - An injured hiker had to be rescued in the New Hampshire town of Lee.
DETROIT - A Detroit-based dog rescue group is set to lend some assistance to pet owners in need of help feeding and sheltering their animals.
EVERGLADES NATIONAL PARK, Florida - Twenty whales believed to be part of a pod found stranded in the Everglades this week were spotted Friday afternoon moving closer toward shore, a sign they may be reversing their earlier, positive course, wildlife officials said.
GREENEVILLE, Tennessee - A climber was rescued Friday after being stranded for more than 24 hours on a ledge near Margarette Falls in East Tennessee.
GREENVILLE, South Carolina - In a story Nov. 28, The Associated Press, relying on information from family members, reported erroneously that Jack Gardo was the last surviving member of the PT-157 crew that rescued John F. Kennedy from an island in the Pacific Ocean during World War II. Military records show that Gardo was not a part of the crew that rescued Kennedy and other sailors in August 1943. Gardo did not arrive for duty in Squadron 9, which included PT-157, until December 1943.
GREENEVILLE, Tennessee - Rescue crews have rescued a hiker stranded on a ledge near Margarette Falls in East Tennessee.
BOISE, Idaho - Bad weather and a lack of new information are hindering the search for a private plane that disappeared Sunday in the mountains of central Idaho.
CONCORD, New Hampshire - A New Hampshire teenager who disappeared nearly two months ago mailed her mother a letter several weeks after she was last seen, law enforcement officials said Friday.
ELLIOT KEY, Florida - Two people are safe after the U.S. Coast Guard rescued them from the water after their boat sank.
NEW ATHENS, Illinois - A 75-year-old man is recovering after falling from a deer tree stand in a remote part of southwestern Illinois.
TACLOBAN, Philippines - In a story Nov. 10 about Typhoon Haiyan, The Associated Press incorrectly reported that a tsunami in the south in 1976 killed 5,791 people. The actual number is 4,791 dead, according to a 1978 study by the Special Committee on Tsunami Warning System of the National Committee on Marine Sciences, National Science Development Board.
LOON LAKE, Washington - Stevens County deputies are searching for a missing Tacoma woman who hasn't returned home after a Thanksgiving holiday weekend stay at a cabin on Loon Lake in northeast Washington.
MANHATTAN, Kansas - The Riley County police department says it is still looking for two people who have been missing since 1981.
LONGVIEW, Washington - Sheriff's officers in southwest Washington are asking for help to locate a missing Japanese traveler who may have set out a week ago to hike or climb on Mount St. Helens.
AUGUSTA, Maine - Maine game wardens have suspended their search for a 67-year-old man from Quebec in a remote and snow-covered part of northern Maine.
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti - An exhausted Justin Desamour stepped off a plane Tuesday with cuts up and down his slender arm, relieved to be back in his homeland but haunted by his fresh memories of a disastrous journey.
LAGOS, Nigeria - About 100 feet down, on the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean, divers had already pulled four bodies out of the sunken tugboat. Then a hand appeared on a TV screen monitoring the recovery.
GUNTERSVILLE, Alabama - Crews are continuing to search for a Guntersville boater, who is believed to have fallen out of his boat in Marshall County.
SANTA ANA, California - Firefighters have rescued a 28-year-old woman who became trapped while attempting to jump from the roof of one building to another in Santa Ana.
CUMMING, Georgia - Edward Richardson was just a boy when his father, Coast Guard Radioman Benjamin Bottoms, disappeared.
WATERVILLE, Maine - State police divers have searched a stretch of the Kennebec River in Waterville for evidence related to a Vassalboro homicide two weeks ago.
AUGUSTA, Maine - Game wardens and search teams will spend another day combing wooded areas and shorelines for a 67-year-old man who is missing.
LONDON - The pilot of a Scottish police helicopter did not put out any emergency calls before crashing through the roof of a crowded Glasgow pub, killing nine people, investigators said Monday.
BUCHAREST, Romania - U.S. oil giant Chevron has resumed its search for shale gas in northeastern Romania amid ongoing opposition from local residents.