- Study: Tree disease might be unstoppable in California Updated: May-05-16 2:21 pm
DAVIS, California - An epidemic of the tree disease "sudden oak death" has surged beyond control in California, a new study shows.
- Coast Guard investigates boat shooting report off Key West Updated: May-05-16 6:58 am
KEY WEST, Florida - The U.S. Coast Guard is investigating a report that someone on a fishing boat fired multiple shots in the direction of a 20-foot pleasure boat while its passengers were diving southwest of Key West.
- Residents to weigh in on new Atlantic Coast Pipeline path Updated: May-05-16 6:13 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - Residents in three western Virginia counties will have a chance to weigh in a proposed new path of the Atlantic Coast Pipeline.
- Oil spill bill, Medicaid fix stumbles at session's end Updated: May-03-16 11:30 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Legislation dictating how to spend Alabama's oil spill settlement money - and provide a funding fix for Medicaid - is dead for the legislative session after senators could not agree Tuesday on how to use the $1 billion windfall.
- Correction: Asbury Park-New Hotel story Updated: May-03-16 12:57 pm
ASBURY PARK, New Jersey - In a story May 1 about a new hotel set to open in Asbury Park, The Associated Press reported erroneously on one of the reasons visitor Madeleine Berk loves the city. She cited the music scene, not the food.
- Body washes onto Florida beach day after man goes missing Updated: May-03-16 12:09 pm
DAYTONA BEACH, Florida - Officials say they believe the body of a missing swimmer has washed up onto a Florida beach.
- Gaza sewage crisis, festering in conflict, poisons coast Updated: May-03-16 9:07 am
SHATI REFUGEE CAMP, Gaza Strip - Each day, millions of gallons of raw sewage pour into the Gaza Strip's Mediterranean beachfront, spewing out of a metal pipe and turning miles of once-scenic coastline into a stagnant dead zone.
- Spooked deer run into ocean, 1 caught in rip current Updated: May-03-16 6:48 am
MANASQUAN, New Jersey - Three spooked deer ran into the ocean at a New Jersey beach and one got caught in a rip current.
- Assateague seashore creates nearly $110M economic impact Updated: May-02-16 10:19 am
BERLIN, Maryland - Assateague Island National Seashore has generated a nearly $110 million economic impact in local communities.
- Greetings from Asbury Park, opening first hotel in 50 years Updated: May-02-16 9:54 am
ASBURY PARK, New Jersey - In the Jersey shore city that gave Bruce Springsteen's debut album its name, owners of the first new hotel to open there in more than 50 years hope they can convince locals and tourists alike that what was once considered a slum by the sea is now a destination with a bright future.
- Christmas CD, medical bracelets, more found in beach cleanup Updated: Apr-30-16 4:35 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - A Christmas songs CD, medical bracelets and a golf ball are some of the items that volunteers found after sweeping across dozens of Jersey shore beaches as part of an environmental group's cleanup program.
- Coastal Commission staff recommends Newport Beach project Updated: Apr-30-16 4:17 pm
NEWPORT BEACH, California - Two months after the head of the California Coastal Commission was fired, its staff has recommended approval of a plan to build nearly 900 homes and a hotel near Newport Beach.
- Forest Service eyes Jackson Hole guided shore fishing plan Updated: Apr-30-16 3:47 pm
JACKSON, Wyoming - U.S. Forest Service officials are considering a proposal to open non-wilderness areas in northern Jackson Hole to guided day-use shore fishing.
- Oil exploration threatens Georgia state marine mammal Updated: Apr-30-16 10:16 am
SAVANNAH, Georgia - Exploration for oil and gas deposits under the sea floor threatens the existence of an official symbol of Georgia, the North Atlantic right whale, according leading marine scientists.
- 60,000-pound whale carcass removed from California beach Updated: Apr-30-16 9:31 am
SAN CLEMENTE, California - It literally was a whale of a job.
- Pilot says he saw 1 of 2 missing teen fishermen Updated: Apr-29-16 5:29 pm
FORT LAUDERDALE, Florida - A pilot who was part of a massive search to find two missing teen fishermen told investigators he's positive he saw one floating on debris two days after their boat capsized.
- Spring break was a bust at Florida beach after drinking ban Updated: Apr-29-16 3:41 pm
PANAMA CITY BEACH, Florida - New laws to clean up spring break in Panama City Beach drove students elsewhere in March. Now business leaders are reporting big losses.
- Hawaii police make arrest in attack on endangered seal Updated: Apr-29-16 2:29 am
LIHUE, Hawaii - Authorities in Hawaii have made an arrest in connection with an attack on an endangered monk seal that was caught on video.
- House approves split of settlement money from BP oil spill Updated: Apr-28-16 11:48 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - The Alabama House of Representatives on Thursday approved a compromise plan for doling out settlement money from the 2010 oil spill - one that could help stave off cuts in Medicaid this fall.
- Zoo defends decision not to kill tiger that attacked keeper Updated: Apr-28-16 6:43 pm
WEST PALM BEACH, Florida - The president of a Florida zoo defended Thursday the decision to tranquilize and not kill a rare Malayan tiger that had fatally attacked a keeper and was preventing rescuers from giving her aid.
- Camping set to return to Sonoma's Popo Canyon Updated: Apr-28-16 9:18 am
DUNCAN MILLS, California - Campers will once again be able to spend the night in Sonoma Coast's Pomo Canyon after the campground has been closed for four years.
- Feds set short red snapper season in Gulf; Alabama differs Updated: Apr-27-16 6:36 pm
MOBILE, Alabama - The federal government says private recreational anglers will have only nine days to fish for red snapper in the Gulf of Mexico this summer, but at least one Gulf state said Wednesday that won't apply in its waters.
- Committee approves bill dividing BP settlement Updated: Apr-27-16 4:51 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama would use settlement money from the 2010 BP oil spill to pay off state debts and pay for road projects in coastal counties, under a last-minute compromise approved Wednesday by a budget committee.
- Group offers ideas for better access to New Jersey shoreline Updated: Apr-27-16 1:35 pm
MANTOLOKING, New Jersey - Providing free or affordable parking within walking distance of the shoreline is a key goal of a group studying ways to improve access to New Jersey's beaches and waterways.
- State promotes website offering updates on beach conditions Updated: Apr-27-16 9:11 am
HONOLULU - The state has launched a campaign to inform travelers about a website that updates surf, weather and safety conditions at beaches across Hawaii.