- EXCHANGE: Man doesn't let Parkinson's slow him Updated: Mar-09-14 11:20 am
- Mexican border city hopes to lure Spring Breakers Updated: Mar-09-14 11:04 am
- Lifeguards have saved Pensacola Beach's reputation Updated: Mar-09-14 1:08 am
- Obama to preserve California federal lands Updated: Mar-08-14 9:41 pm
- Experts urge tourism shift away from NJ waterfront Updated: Mar-08-14 12:49 pm
- Waves from winter storm erodes some NC beaches Updated: Mar-08-14 12:14 pm
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge Updated: Mar-08-14 10:52 am
- Groups seek protection for rare beach flower Updated: Mar-07-14 7:32 pm
- La. flood control authority membership debated Updated: Mar-06-14 6:58 pm
- New aerial images of Ga. coastline being collected Updated: Mar-06-14 5:34 am
- Delightful winter hikes in Whatcom County Updated: Mar-05-14 4:05 pm
- The beach in Costa Rica: Surfing, riding, fishing Updated: Mar-05-14 1:48 pm
- Federal money sought for Leeville restoration work Updated: Mar-05-14 11:04 am
- 2 years later, Congress poised to undo flood law Updated: Mar-05-14 3:31 am
- Redwood park closes road to deter burl poachers Updated: Mar-04-14 11:11 pm
- Navy seeks permits for Northwest training Updated: Mar-04-14 7:30 pm
- Los Angeles County warns of ocean storm runoff Updated: Mar-04-14 9:57 am
- 6 rescued, including 3 lifeguards, in high surf Updated: Mar-03-14 1:49 pm
- Coastal Georgia tree 'ecologically extinct' Updated: Mar-02-14 12:13 pm
- Carolina Beach council opposes seismic testing Updated: Mar-01-14 2:28 pm
- Bike Week outpaces Daytona 500 in area spending Updated: Mar-01-14 12:32 pm
- Maine town considers helping buy part of island Updated: Mar-01-14 11:38 am
- Scientists monitor shark behavior off Oahu coast Updated: Feb-28-14 6:37 pm
- Battle shaping up over 'Big Oil' lawsuit bill Updated: Feb-27-14 5:53 pm
- Loreto: Quiet gem on Mexico's Baja Peninsula Updated: Feb-26-14 11:08 pm
ROUND LAKE BEACH, Illinois - Retired science teacher Chuck McCann has been doing art shows for 30 years, has five books published, and was once a professional bowler. In fact, the Round Lake Beach resident still bowls three days a week.
MATAMOROS, Mexico - The Mexican border city of Matamoros long ago gave up catering to Spring Breakers who would cross over in droves from Texas beach resorts.
PENSACOLA BEACH, Florida - On Labor Day weekend 2003, the scene along Santa Rosa and Escambia beaches was one of pandemonium.
KEY LARGO, Florida - President Barack Obama will expand the California Coastal National Monument to include the Point Arena-Stornetta Public Lands, a White House official said Saturday.
ASBURY PARK, New Jersey - What makes the Jersey Shore attractive to millions of visitors every summer could prove to be its worst enemy over time.
NORTH TOPSAIL BEACH, North Carolina - Officials along the North Carolina coast say the latest winter storm has created more erosion reports along the state's beaches.
ORLANDO, Florida - A pregnant South Carolina woman pointed to the ocean, locked the doors and rolled up the windows, telling her three children she was "trying to take them to a better place" as she drove her minivan into the surf, authorities said.
GRANTS PASS, Oregon - Conservation groups are seeking federal Endangered Species Act protection for a rare beach flower found in Oregon and California.
NEW ORLEANS - Gov. Bobby Jindal will likely have another chance soon to chip away at the membership of a flood control board that sued more than 90 oil and gas companies whose decades of work in delicate coastal areas is being blamed for erosion of wetlands that form a natural hurricane buffer for New Orleans.
ATLANTA - State Department of Natural Resources officials say that several local and federal agencies have teamed up to provide aerial views of coastal Georgia that are expected to help planners and scientists.
BELLINGHAM, Washington - Heading up from the Fragrance Lake trailhead, I soon cross the Interurban Trail, the route of an old trolley line from Bellingham, then plunge into a thick, twilit forest of 100-year-old firs, cedars and hemlocks among a carpet of swordferns that rival the size of an Arthurian broadsword.
GUIONES, Costa Rica - A vacation to escape the cold led us to Costa Rica's Pacific Coast, where we went surfing, horseback riding, deep-sea fishing and even visited a dry tropical forest. Our extended family of seven, ranging in age from 17 to 55 years old, ranked it one of the best vacations ever.
LEEVILLE, Louisiana - A coastal restoration project aimed at an area of south Lafourche outside the levees is seeking federal support.
WASHINGTON - Less than two years after Congress approved a landmark bill to overhaul the federal flood insurance program, lawmakers are poised to undo many of the changes after homeowners in flood-prone areas complained about sharp increases in premiums.
Authorities say unemployment and drug addiction have spurred an increase in the destructive practice of cutting off the knobby growths at the base of ancient redwood trees to make decorative pieces like lacey-grained coffee tables and wall clocks.
SEATTLE - The U.S. Navy is seeking to renew permits to conduct sonar, explosives and other training exercises off the Washington, Oregon and California coasts, raising concerns from marine mammal advocates.
LOS ANGELES - Los Angeles County health officials are warning beachgoers to be wary of water near storm drains, creeks and rivers.
LAGUNA BEACH, California - A Southern California ocean rescue took a dramatic turn over the weekend when three lifeguards who were attempting to save three people also had to be plucked from high surf by boat.
SAVANNAH, Georgia - Not long ago, healthy redbay trees were easy to find in coastal Georgia. Related to the avocado, these evergreens grew 45 feet tall, with black berries that fed songbirds and aromatic leaves that lent their flavor to traditional gumbo.
CAROLINA BEACH, North Carolina - The Carolina Beach Town Council is saying no to seismic testing for oil and gas off the North Carolina coast.
DAYTONA BEACH, Florida - Bikers appear to outpace Daytona 500 fans when it comes to tourism spending, a recent marking study found.
FALMOUTH, Maine - The town of Falmouth is going to spend $200,000 to help buy a portion of Clapboard Island off the coast of Maine so it can remain open to the public.
HONOLULU - Researchers with the University of Hawaii have captured hours of shark-cam video that reinforces the fear tiger sharks strike in other animals.
NEW ORLEANS - Supporters of a south Louisiana flood control board's lawsuit against scores of oil and gas companies over erosion of coastal wetlands announced plans Thursday to fight legislation they say could undermine not only the lawsuit but the political independence of the board.
LORETO, Mexico - Efforts to turn the seaside village of Loreto into a major destination have been going on for years. So far, though, the results have been limited, and that in itself makes it worth visiting.