- Seattle mayor: Port needs new permit for Arctic oil fleet Updated: May-04-15 9:07 pm
SEATTLE - Mayor Ed Murray threw a wrench into plans for a 400-foot oil-drilling rig to arrive in Seattle when he announced Monday that the Port of Seattle can't host Shell's offshore Arctic fleet until it gets a new land-use permit.
- Huge waves in California lure bodysurfers, crowds to beaches Updated: May-04-15 8:27 pm
NEWPORT BEACH, California - Hundreds of spectators lined the beach and gasped, cheered and clapped on Monday as bodysurfers braved 15-foot waves at The Wedge, a Newport Beach break known for its powerful waves.
- Carolinas clear first proposals for offshore oil surveys Updated: May-04-15 3:11 pm
CHARLESTON, South Carolina - State regulators in both Carolinas have signed off on proposals by companies to conduct seismic testing for oil and natural gas off the Atlantic coast, subject to some conditions.
- Shore students hope to speed up turtle protection bill Updated: May-04-15 3:04 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - Students from a Jersey shore environmental science school helped get lawmakers to speed up action on a turtle protection bill that had been moving as slowly as, well, a turtle.
- Starfish babies offer glimmer of hope amid mass die-off Updated: May-04-15 1:16 pm
LOPEZ PASS, Washington - Emerging from a recent dive 40 feet below the surface of the Puget Sound, biologist Ben Miner wasn't surprised by what he found: The troubling disease that wiped out millions of starfish up and down the West Coast had spread to this site along the rocky cliffs of Lopez Island.
- Daytona Beach taking lifeguard championships to 'next level' Updated: May-03-15 1:11 am
DAYTONA BEACH, Florida - A.J. Miller took a deep breath as he stood facing the ocean with a paddleboard on his side.
- Young Delaware students track their boat across Atlantic Updated: May-02-15 2:58 pm
FELTON, Delaware - It was a chilly, rainy day in Ireland on Tuesday when Sean Creaven and his dog, Daisy, found a little white boat washed up on the shores of Strandhill Beach in County Sligo.
- Surfing for college credit? Florida Tech now offering Updated: May-02-15 1:17 am
MELBOURNE, Florida - The Florida Institute of Technology would like to encourage Ocean Engineering students to surf for college credit.
- Prosecutor: Venice boardwalk driver targeted meth dealer Updated: Apr-30-15 10:29 pm
LOS ANGELES - An Italian newlywed's honeymoon ended in a death ride on the hood of a Dodge Avenger driven by a man bent on revenge against a drug dealer who ripped him off, a prosecutor said Thursday.
- Family closes $10M deal with state on waterfront property Updated: Apr-30-15 5:26 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - A legal battle of more than eight years involving a family's rights to pristine waterfront property to which the state laid claim ended Thursday with the closing of a $10 million deal.
- Volunteers remove debris from sea turtle nesting beaches Updated: Apr-30-15 4:45 pm
HOMESTEAD, Florida - Alternative Break program volunteers have removed more than seven tons of debris from sea turtle nesting beaches in Biscayne National Park.
- Year after year, Scotch broom fight must go on and on Updated: Apr-30-15 4:10 pm
CANNON BEACH, Oregon - It takes trained eyes and hours of tedious physical labor to prevent Scotch broom - the invasive European shrub that sprouts golden yellow flowers and produces thousands of seeds - from overrunning the sand dunes west of Chapman Point.
- Panel discusses possible 8 inch rise in sea level in NC Updated: Apr-30-15 10:07 am
RALEIGH, North Carolina - People worried about rising sea levels in North Carolina have found relief in a new forecast.
- Plan reviews wildlife buffers at Cape Hatteras Seashore Updated: Apr-30-15 4:05 am
MANTEO, North Carolina - The National Park Service is taking public comment through the middle of next month on proposed changes in wildlife buffers at the Cape Hatteras National Seashore.
- World Surf League nixes polluted Rio beach for competition Updated: Apr-29-15 5:13 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - A sewage-filled Rio de Janeiro beach has been removed from the list of venues for an upcoming surfing competition in the city, the World Surf League said Wednesday.
- Officials to remove pieces of fishing boat from Kapaa canal Updated: Apr-28-15 4:15 pm
LIHUE, Hawaii - Pieces of what appear to be a Japanese fishing boat are slated for removal after they were found in a Kapaa canal and reported to state Department of Land and Natural Resources.
- Inspired by Scotland, golf course in Atlantic Canada Updated: Apr-28-15 10:12 am
INVERNESS, Nova Scotia - Ribbons of manicured turf weave through dunes land, connecting the shore of the Gulf of St. Lawrence to the higher elevation of town in this remote corner of Cape Breton Island. Here, a 21st century golf destination has been conceived, inspired by the venerable links courses of Scotland. There is an adjacent pub with samplings of single-malt Scotch, but no motorized golf carts or beer wagons on the course itself.
- US vets come to Vietnam to confront past, and find a home Updated: Apr-27-15 7:33 am
DANANG, Vietnam - When Richard Parker left Vietnam in 1970, he planned to leave his memories of napalm attacks firmly in the past. Instead, as time marched on, they haunted him.
- Internet billionaires face off in renewed Texas space race Updated: Apr-26-15 11:49 am
VAN HORN, Texas - An isolated edge of vast West Texas is home to a highly secretive part of the 21st-century space race, one of two being directed in the Lone Star State by Internet billionaires whose personalities and corporate strategies seem worlds apart.
- Wildlife managers trying to entice plovers to north coast Updated: Apr-24-15 5:02 pm
WARRENTON, Oregon - Last year, Oregon park officials designated a half-mile portion of the beach as a "Western Snowy Plover Management Area" in an attempt to entice the endangered seabird to nest at the site.
- Residents call 30-foot-tall lifeguard tower 'overboard' Updated: Apr-24-15 2:52 pm
SAN DIEGO - Property owners near South Mission Beach are pushing back against a 30-foot-tall lifeguard tower that's been planned for more than a decade.
- Neighborhood council wants nipple equality at Venice Beach Updated: Apr-24-15 2:38 pm
LOS ANGELES - Neighborhood councilmembers are asking elected officials to bring topless sunbathing back to Venice Beach.
- Jaws meets kangaroo? Rare, cute pocket shark found in deep Updated: Apr-23-15 6:24 pm
WASHINGTON - Think Jaws meets a kangaroo, with maybe a touch of cute kitten, and you've got the aptly named pocket shark - the newest and rarest species found off the U.S. coast.
- Search for solid shoreline protection in Vermilion Parish Updated: Apr-23-15 3:39 pm
VERMILION PARISH, Louisiana - The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has released a study giving suggestions for the best defenses against hurricanes in Vermilion Parish.
- Electronic dance concert coming to Atlantic City beachfront Updated: Apr-23-15 1:55 pm
ATLANTIC CITY, New Jersey - An electronic dance music festival is coming to the Atlantic City beachfront in August.