- Hearing to consider voting policies in 4 states Updated: Apr-19-14 5:06 am
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez hailed as literary giant Updated: Apr-18-14 11:08 pm
- Boston mayor objects to casino licensing process Updated: Apr-18-14 8:16 pm
- Plane spotted in Iran is registered to Utah bank Updated: Apr-18-14 8:01 pm
- Judge interviews experts in Detroit bankruptcy Updated: Apr-18-14 5:31 pm
- Iowa cases against felons for voting to proceed Updated: Apr-18-14 4:52 pm
- Nonprofit to take over Reno golf course Updated: Apr-18-14 2:41 pm
- Rochester mayor released from hospital Updated: Apr-18-14 1:12 pm
- A nutty finale for 'Scandal,' TV's craziest show Updated: Apr-18-14 12:55 pm
- Bloomington mayor vetoes preserve deer hunt plan Updated: Apr-18-14 11:37 am
- Small town election sparks controversy Updated: Apr-18-14 10:00 am
- SC police chief says firing was because she's gay Updated: Apr-18-14 9:38 am
- Austin City Council approves voucher resolution Updated: Apr-18-14 7:31 am
- Reno agrees to medical marijuana businesses Updated: Apr-18-14 6:28 am
- City seeks new ideas for selling Pascagoula Updated: Apr-18-14 4:22 am
- Judge asks pointed questions in gay marriage case Updated: Apr-18-14 4:19 am
- Rob Ford acknowledges "rocky moments" at rally Updated: Apr-17-14 11:23 pm
- Syracuse mayor resigns as Democratic Party chair Updated: Apr-17-14 7:53 pm
- Judge issues narrow ruling in public records case Updated: Apr-17-14 7:07 pm
- Bullock proposes $45 million in oil-patch grants Updated: Apr-17-14 6:55 pm
- Judge wants Detroit mayor to back bankruptcy plan Updated: Apr-17-14 6:25 pm
- Texas town could rebuild plant after fatal blast Updated: Apr-17-14 5:16 pm
- Gaming commission rejects Cedar Rapids casino Updated: Apr-17-14 4:59 pm
- Mayor pitches New Orleans as home for Late Show Updated: Apr-17-14 4:43 pm
- NYC to change maligned Sandy rebuilding program Updated: Apr-17-14 4:22 pm
IOWA CITY, Iowa - Civil rights groups are planning a hearing to consider how to improve elections administration and expand access to voting in Iowa, Kansas, Missouri and Nebraska.
MEXICO CITY - His death mourned around the globe, Gabriel Garcia Marquez is being hailed as a giant of modern literature, a writer of intoxicating novels and short stories that illuminated Latin America's passions, superstition, violence and social inequality.
BOSTON - Boston Mayor Martin J. Walsh's administration has called on the state's top gambling regulator to recuse himself from the casino licensing process in eastern Massachusetts.
SALT LAKE CITY - An airplane that mysteriously ended up in Iran is registered to a Utah bank under an arrangement for aviation ownership that has prompted two warnings from a government watchdog in the past year.
DETROIT - A former New York lieutenant governor was among the candidates interviewed Friday as a possible expert in the Detroit bankruptcy case.
IOWA CITY, Iowa - An Iowa prosecutor said she will pursue pending cases against convicted felons accused of voting illegally in 2012 despite a new Iowa Supreme Court ruling that makes it unclear whether they lost their voting rights in the first place.
RENO, Nevada - Rosewood Lakes Golf Course will continue to exist under a deal approved by the Reno City Council that turns management of the 18-hole course over to a nonprofit group that works to inspire youth through the game of golf.
ROCHESTER, New York - Rochester Mayor Lovely Warren has been released from the hospital after a severe bout with the flu.
NEW YORK - "Scandal" is arguably the nuttiest show on the air. But there's a method to its madness, demonstrated every week with OMG intensity.
BLOOMINGTON, Indiana - The mayor of Bloomington has vetoed an ordinance that would allow sharpshooters to thin the deer heard at a city nature preserve.
MONTEZUMA, Colorado - Questions about a local government election have turned into a mountain of a political dispute in Montezuma, which has just 65 residents.
LATTA, South Carolina - The police chief of the Dillon County town of Latta has been fired and she says it is because she is gay.
AUSTIN, Texas - Leaders of a Central Texas city have adopted a resolution barring landlords from summarily rejecting applicants who want to use federal vouchers to pay the rent.
RENO, Nevada - The Reno City Council is moving ahead with rules for medical marijuana establishments within the city limits.
PASCAGOULA, Mississippi - Pascagoula leaders want a variety of multi-media marketing materials to showcase what the city has to offer to both its residents and tourists.
DENVER - A judge in Colorado who will play a pivotal role deciding whether gays should be allowed to wed in the United States asked pointed questions Thursday about whether Oklahoma can legally ban the unions.
TORONTO - Embattled Toronto Mayor Rob Ford acknowledged "rocky moments over the past year" but vowed to fight harder than ever to win re-election at a rally he dubbed the official launch of his campaign.
ALBANY, New York - Syracuse Mayor Stephanie Miner is resigning from her position as co-chair of the state's Democratic Party.
CHEYENNE, Wyoming - A state judge has ruled that elected officials cannot use the Wyoming Public Records Act to obtain massive amounts of internal documents from other government agencies.
BILLINGS, Montana - Gov. Steve Bullock proposed a $45 million grant program Thursday to ease strains on water and sewer systems in eastern Montana towns that have struggled to keep pace with the demands of the fast-growing Bakken oil patch.
DETROIT - Looking years ahead, the judge overseeing Detroit's bankruptcy said Thursday he wants assurances from the mayor and other elected leaders that they'll follow a final plan that likely cuts pensions, sheds debt and plows millions into better services.
WEST, Texas - The mayor of a Texas town where a fertilizer plant explosion killed 15 people says local officials are considering building a new one.
COUNCIL BLUFFS, Iowa - The Iowa Racing and Gaming Commission rejected a proposed $164 million Cedar Rapids casino Thursday, saying it would hurt existing casinos.
NEW ORLEANS - Los Angeles and New York have been making their cases. Now, New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu is pitching his city as the new home for the "Late Show" when Stephen Colbert takes over that CBS program from David Letterman next year.
NEW YORK - Mayor Bill de Blasio unveiled a sweeping report Thursday that examined New York City's recovery progress from Superstorm Sandy and promised to reform a much-maligned program that was supposed to rebuild wrecked homes.