- Judge rules in favor of state in Hawaiian immersion lawsuit Updated: May-04-16 10:32 pm
HONOLULU - The state attorney general says a judge has ruled that the Hawaii Department of Education didn't violate the state constitution by not making a Hawaiian language immersion program available for students on Lanai.
- North Dakota teachers to rewrite math, English standards Updated: May-03-16 1:51 pm
BISMARCK, North Dakota - North Dakota teachers will rewrite and improve math and English standards that are not based on the controversial federally backed Common Core education standards, state School Superintendent Kirsten Baesler said Tuesday
- High school teacher charged with institutional sex assault Updated: May-03-16 5:53 am
FORT WASHINGTON, Pennsylvania - A suburban Philadelphia high school English teacher faces sexual assault charges for allegedly having a month-long sexual relationship with an 18-year-old student.
- Lawmakers to discuss Md.'s new languages proficiency seal Updated: May-03-16 4:53 am
ANNAPOLIS, Maryland - Maryland lawmakers and educators are scheduled to discuss the state's new law noting high school proficiency in two or more languages.
- AP Exclusive: Migrant children kept from enrolling in school Updated: May-02-16 12:22 am
MEMPHIS, Tennessee - Candelario Jimon Alonzo came to the U.S. dreaming of becoming something more than what seemed possible along the rutted roads of his hometown in Guatemala's highlands. This was his chance: He could earn a U.S. high school education and eventually become a teacher.
- Ohio takes only small percent of unaccompanied minors Updated: May-02-16 12:19 am
CINCINNATI - Yeser Escalante was 13 when he and his two younger sisters fled Guatemala amid a surge of other unaccompanied minors fleeing to the United States from poverty and violence in Central America.
- Ex-Omaha teacher sentenced in sex-with-student case Updated: Apr-20-16 7:17 pm
OMAHA, Nebraska - A former English teacher convicted of sexually assaulting a 15-year-old Omaha student has been sentenced to prison.
- Missouri education officials approve new English, math goals Updated: Apr-19-16 6:27 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Missouri became the latest state to adopt a new set of education benchmarks to replace the national Common Core standards, ditching the benchmarks Tuesday following conservative backlash.
- ACLU, advocates file complaint against Providence schools Updated: Apr-16-16 4:27 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The Rhode Island chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union and local advocates have filed a complaint alleging the Providence School District doesn't provide adequate services to English language learners.
- Resurrected sex education restrictions draw public ire Updated: Apr-15-16 9:41 pm
JUNEAU, Alaska - Public commenters berated two Wasilla legislators for inserting controversial language restricting sex education in schools in a parental rights and student testing bill.
- German university starts training plan for refugee teachers Updated: Apr-14-16 10:44 am
POTSDAM, Germany - A German university has launched a program aimed at enabling teachers who fled Syria and other countries to return to the classroom, potentially helping them serve as bridge-builders between German schools and last year's many new arrivals.
- Kansas website aims to boost residents' financial literacy Updated: Apr-11-16 3:02 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The state of Kansas has launched a new financial literacy website in an effort to educate residents about some of the money management challenges they face.
- Teacher who won $1M accused of shoplifting $14.99 blouse Updated: Apr-07-16 4:14 pm
EDGECOMB, Maine - An English teacher from Maine who won the $1 million Global Teacher Prize last year has been accused of shoplifting a blouse worth $14.99.