- Iowa employee went to work for handgun vendor Updated: Jul-31-15 1:49 pm
IOWA CITY, Iowa - An Iowa Department of Public Safety employee who helped draft a proposal to buy handguns for officers tipped off Smith & Wesson about the timing of the bidding process and was exploring a job with the gun company at the same time, emails obtained by The Associated Press show.
- Tough week for social media stocks - no one is spared Updated: Jul-31-15 1:07 pm
NEW YORK - It hasn't been an easy week in social media, despite double-digit revenue growth from Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook. Investors are looking beyond headline numbers and finding reasons to sell.
- LinkedIn 2Q caps rough week for social media stocks Updated: Jul-30-15 6:48 pm
NEW YORK - It hasn't been a good week for social media companies, not even for the usually reliable professional networking service LinkedIn Corp.
- LinkedIn reports 2Q loss Updated: Jul-30-15 4:43 pm
MOUNTAIN VIEW, California _ LinkedIn Corp. (LNKD) on Thursday reported a loss of $67.7 million in its second quarter.
- Alabama sheriff's office probes student-teacher relationship Updated: Jul-29-15 6:49 pm
TUSCALOOSA, Alabama - Tuscaloosa County sheriff's officials say they're investigating allegations of an inappropriate student-teacher relationship.
- Astoria summer school helps children of migrant workers Updated: Jul-29-15 5:00 pm
ASTORIA, Oregon - Araceny Borja, 11, sat in a classroom at Astoria Middle School Thursday, only two months after she and her mother moved to the North Coast from Mexico for what she called "a better life."
- UND degree program aims to meet demand for social workers Updated: Jul-29-15 8:25 am
GRAND FORKS, North Dakota - The University of North Dakota is taking steps to help address an expected increase in demand for social workers, with a new degree program and a collaboration with an American Indian tribe.
- Michigan math champ charts her path to career gold Updated: Jul-27-15 11:26 am
DETROIT - Jackie Bredenberg knows her way around an isosceles triangle, a parallelogram and anything else in the mathematics stratosphere.
- Partnership lets Major League Soccer players earn degrees Updated: Jul-27-15 8:38 am
CONCORD, New Hampshire - Major League Soccer is striking a multiyear deal with Southern New Hampshire University that will provide full scholarships for players and internship opportunities for the school's current students.
- Ex-UN climate panel head accused of stalking loses India job Updated: Jul-24-15 3:40 am
NEW DELHI - The former chairman of the U.N. climate panel has been removed from his job as head of a top energy institute in India following allegations of sexual harassment.
- Agency heads appointed by governor likely to keep jobs Updated: Jul-23-15 6:13 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - Two state agency chiefs appear likely to keep their jobs even after a nationwide search for other candidates.
- Police: Pregnant woman stabbed while biking home from work Updated: Jul-23-15 9:14 am
WASHINGTON - Authorities say a pregnant woman was stabbed while biking home from work in Southeast Washington.
- Costs from regulations pile up, hurt small business profits Updated: Jul-22-15 12:41 pm
NEW YORK - It's getting more expensive to be an employer and small business owners say that's making it harder for them to make money.
- Job fair to be held in Salem on Thursday Updated: Jul-22-15 4:29 am
SALEM, New Hampshire - The New Hampshire Employment Security agency is hosting a job fair in Salem.
- Job fair set for southwest Ohio's Liberty Center complex Updated: Jul-21-15 3:34 am
HAMILTON, Ohio - A job fair Tuesday offers people with a variety of skills and experience a chance to seek positions at a new mixed-use complex in southwest Ohio.
- Oregon business startups have not rebounded with economy Updated: Jul-20-15 12:47 pm
MEDFORD, Oregon - Oregon is known for innovative startups and entrepreneurs with an eye on opportunity.
- New director wants to move law enforcement academy forward Updated: Jul-18-15 10:30 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - Judy Bradshaw prefers not to dwell on the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy's troubled past.
- For most, summer league is a basketball job fair Updated: Jul-17-15 2:18 pm
LAS VEGAS - Think of NBA summer league like this: A job fair where nobody wears a tie.
- Correction: SCOW--Farmworkers-Rest Breaks story Updated: Jul-17-15 11:47 am
SEATTLE - In a story July 16 about a Washington Supreme Court decision concerning farm workers' rest break pay, The Associated Press reported erroneously the identity of the general counsel of the Western Growers Association. He is Jason Resnick, not Jeff.
- Iowa agency head tells staff to dress nice for governor Updated: Jul-16-15 5:28 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Iowa Workforce Development director Beth Townsend is telling employees to look nice for Gov. Terry Branstad's visit even though he's coming on Casual Friday.
- Homeless man from Gary receives job interview makeover Updated: Jul-16-15 5:04 am
HOBART, Indiana - Byron Allen had been living in a motel near Gary's Miller neighborhood until his employer didn't pay him on time, and he got kicked out on the street.
- Appeals court: Joint employers can face discrimination suit Updated: Jul-15-15 3:41 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - A federal appeals court says an employer can't evade anti-discrimination laws by hiring workers from a temporary employment agency.
- Bilingual job fair planned in Charlotte Updated: Jul-15-15 7:34 am
CHARLOTTE, North Carolina - A job fair is planned in Charlotte later this week with companies seeking people only who speak more than one language.
- Role in short film is perfect summer job for Indiana actor Updated: Jul-15-15 5:04 am
BLOOMINGTON, Indiana - For many area high school students, a summer job means flipping burgers at a restaurant, folding shirts at a retail shop or watching kids splash at the pool from the heights of the lifeguard's seat.
- Amazon looks to hire 1,000 workers at Kenosha facility Updated: Jul-15-15 3:07 am
KENOSHA, Wisconsin - Amazon is holding a job fair as it seeks to fill 1,000 full-time positions at a fulfillment center in southeastern Wisconsin.