- Plane in fatal Long Island crash registered to Conn. man Updated: May-04-16 6:56 am
SYOSSET, New York - Officials are investigating why a small plane broke apart mid-flight, killing three people on board and scattering debris across a residential Long Island neighborhood.
- 3 dead in small plane crash in Long Island neighborhood Updated: May-03-16 8:40 pm
SYOSSET, New York - Officials say three people are dead after a small plane broke up mid-flight, scattering debris across a residential Long Island neighborhood.
- Hawaii's $13.7B budget funds housing, health, schools Updated: May-03-16 8:11 pm
HONOLULU - Hawaii lawmakers have passed the state's $13.7 billion budget for 2017, providing funding for affordable housing development, new classroom facilities and the Department of Hawaiian Home Lands.
- Lawmakers tackle regulations for short-term rentals, Airbnb Updated: May-03-16 4:51 pm
CONCORD, New Hampshire - Portsmouth artist Haidee Merritt is entering her third season of renting out a room in her downtown home for short stays to regular city visitors and far flung tourists, a service she says provides a social and financial benefit to herself and the city.
- Foundation sells former NU president's home for $575,000 Updated: May-03-16 3:57 pm
LINCOLN, Nebraska - A home that the University of Nebraska Foundation purchased in 2013 for a former NU president has been sold at a loss after more than a year on the market.
- Foundation sells university president's $750K house at loss Updated: May-03-16 12:59 pm
LINCOLN, Nebraska - The house bought for $750,000 for the University of Nebraska president has been sold for $575,000 after being on the market for more than a year.
- NYC is creating a new police precinct in Queens Updated: May-03-16 12:19 pm
NEW YORK - New York City is creating a new police precinct. The move is designed to speed up emergency responses and expand coverage in the growing neighborhoods of southeast Queens.
- Writer-in-residence program awards third Detroit home Updated: May-03-16 10:07 am
DETROIT - A writer is expected to receive a house on Detroit's eastside through a program that awards homes to new writers-in-residence.
- Missouri House passes legislation to protect Airbnb Updated: May-02-16 7:19 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Some Missouri lawmakers want to protect lodging websites such as Airbnb from local ordinances that could regulate the services out of business in the state.
- Lawmaker evaluating prison move built homes near Draper site Updated: May-02-16 4:25 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - A Utah lawmaker deeply involved in the state prison-relocation process was simultaneously building townhouses near the current prison site.
- Fairbanks City Council rejects neighborhood site for school Updated: May-02-16 3:31 pm
FAIRBANKS, Alaska - A Fairbanks school serving home-schooled students may have to find a new home after the city council rejected its bid to operate in a residential neighborhood.
- US construction spending up 0.3 pct., led by home building Updated: May-02-16 12:03 pm
WASHINGTON - U.S. construction spending advanced in March to its highest level in more than eight years. Gains in home building and nonresidential construction offset a drop in government projects.
- Troublesome black bear euthanized Updated: May-02-16 11:52 am
CHATFIELD, Minnesota - A black bear that's been wandering around a residential neighborhood has been shot and killed by a Fillmore County sheriff's deputy and Minnesota Department of Natural Resources officer.
- Boise halts renovation on complex that forced refugees out Updated: May-01-16 4:02 pm
BOISE, Idaho - The city of Boise has halted the remodel of an apartment complex that formerly housed mostly refugees because the owners do not have the proper permits.
- Fire destroys Old Bridge home, damages 2 nearby residences Updated: May-01-16 2:15 pm
OLD BRIDGE, New Jersey - One home was destroyed and at least two others were severely damaged when a fast-moving fire broke out behind one of the residences in Old Bridge.
- University gives Boone home to Missouri county's park system Updated: May-01-16 12:11 pm
NEW MELLE, Missouri - A university that owned the two-century-old house in suburban St. Louis that once was famed frontiersman Daniel Boone's home is donating the property to the county's park system.
- Rhode Island Foundation awards community-building grants Updated: Apr-30-16 1:48 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The Rhode Island Foundation has awarded $500,000 in grants for local community-building projects.
- Fargo looking for volunteers to help during Cleanup Week Updated: Apr-30-16 11:22 am
FARGO, North Dakota - Fargo is looking for volunteers to help spruce up the community by picking up litter in residential neighborhoods and public spaces.
- Ohio invests in opening recovery houses for heroin addicts Updated: Apr-30-16 9:52 am
DAYTON, Ohio - When residents of the Ome Garden neighborhood got word of plans for moving recovering drug addicts into a vacant house, they didn't like what they were hearing.
- $21 million project links 20 miles of Detroit pathways Updated: Apr-29-16 5:52 pm
DETROIT - A $21 million project linking 20 miles of walking, running and biking paths in Detroit has wrapped up as part of an effort to boost recreation activities, better connect redeveloping neighborhoods and spur growth.
- State program helps Nevada families purchase homes Updated: Apr-29-16 2:23 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - The state is helping more Nevada residents own property by offering grants for down payments to qualifying families.
- Providence budget proposal calls for $20M spending increase Updated: Apr-28-16 12:47 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Providence Mayor Jorge Elorza has proposed a nearly $717 million city budget that includes reductions in residential and commercial property tax rates.
- Average US rate on 30-year mortgage rises to 3.66 percent Updated: Apr-28-16 11:58 am
WASHINGTON - Long-term U.S. mortgage rates rose this week, lifting from their 2016 lows but remaining historically low during the spring home-buying season.
- Authorities investigate death near Missouri vacation home Updated: Apr-28-16 7:20 am
MACKS CREEK, Missouri - Authorities are investigating after a person was found dead near a central Missouri vacation home.
- Home long thought to be Monroe's turns out to be guest house Updated: Apr-28-16 4:16 am
For decades, a modest farmhouse in central Virginia was thought to be what remained of President James Monroe's home in Charlottesville, Virginia. It turns out, historians were wrong.