- Timber manager, contractor for thinning project part ways Updated: Jul-02-15 3:45 pm
FLAGSTAFF, Arizona - The timber manager and the contractor on a massive forest thinning project in northern Arizona have parted ways.
- Barcelona mayor halts new tourist accommodation licenses Updated: Jul-02-15 7:56 am
MADRID - Barcelona's new leftist mayor Thursday temporarily halted the issuing of new licenses for tourist accommodation while new regulations are drawn up to govern a sector some say has grown too big in recent years.
- Some Cubans see US thaw as a boon, others pessimistic Updated: Jul-01-15 6:20 pm
HAVANA - As Havana and Washington move to restore full ties, Cubans are watching closely. Some hope rapprochement will help them make a small business prosper or keep in touch with relatives in Florida, while others doubt it will do anything to improve their lives.
- US construction spending rises 0.8 percent in May Updated: Jul-01-15 10:24 am
WASHINGTON - U.S. construction spending posted a solid gain in May, pushing total activity to the highest point since the fall of 2008, with the strength led by a big jump in non-residential projects.
- Reports: Average Manhattan home price is over $1.8 million Updated: Jul-01-15 8:17 am
NEW YORK - The average sales price of a Manhattan apartment has eclipsed $1.8 million - a new high.
- Private towers fund NYC waterfront public park Updated: Jun-30-15 9:38 pm
NEW YORK - Brooklyn is taking the next step toward turning New York City's most populated borough into a 21st century residential enclave - with two private towers helping fund 85 acres of public parkland set against the Manhattan skyline, officials announced Tuesday.
- Houses sold in Rhode Island rises 6 percent for May Updated: Jun-30-15 12:44 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The number of houses sold in Rhode Island rose 6 percent in May, while the median sales price of $227,500 represents a 9 percent increase from a year ago.
- US home prices climbing steadily Updated: Jun-30-15 9:42 am
WASHINGTON - U.S. home prices increased at a solid clip in April, led by double-digit jumps in Denver and San Francisco.
- Future of struggling Muncie neighborhood could rest on faith Updated: Jun-30-15 9:23 am
MUNCIE, Indiana - What does it take to save a Muncie neighborhood characterized by a consultant as beyond rehabilitation?
- NYC Rent Guidelines Board freezes rents on 1-year leases Updated: Jun-29-15 9:18 pm
NEW YORK - New York City's Rent Guidelines Board took an unprecedented step Monday, voting for the first time to freeze rents on one-year leases for tenants in rent-stabilized apartments.
- Group hopes to soon break ground on housing development Updated: Jun-29-15 5:17 pm
IOWA CITY, Iowa - A group in Iowa City hopes to finally break ground this summer on a housing development in which residents will share activities such as cooking and child care.
- Judge orders Boston to halt Beacon Hill ramp construction Updated: Jun-29-15 4:50 pm
BOSTON - A Suffolk Superior Court judge has ordered Mayor Marty Walsh's administration to stop building accessibility ramps in historic Beacon Hill until the project undergoes state review.
- US pending home sales climb to 9-year high Updated: Jun-29-15 10:41 am
WASHINGTON - More Americans signed contracts to purchase homes in May, as pending sales climbed to their highest level in more than nine years.
- 89-year-old Indiana piano teacher has no plans to slow down Updated: Jun-29-15 9:29 am
FARMERSBURG, Indiana - When a Sullivan County woman combined her love for music and teaching, the result was a half a century of sharing her talent with Wabash Valley residents of all ages.
- Gonzales master plan would take advantage of commuter train Updated: Jun-29-15 9:03 am
GONZALES, Louisiana - The draft of a new master plan for the city of Gonzales calls for turning the oldest section of the city into a renewed downtown.
- Parkersburg, Vienna implement sales taxes under home rule Updated: Jun-29-15 8:56 am
PARKERSBURG, West Virginia - Businesses in Parkersburg and Vienna will begin charging an additional penny on the dollar for taxable items and services this week.
- St. Paul home where Fitzgerald once lived up for sale Updated: Jun-28-15 5:20 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - A St. Paul home where Jazz Age author F. Scott Fitzgerald once lived is up for sale.
- Iowa home sells for more than $1 million at auction Updated: Jun-28-15 1:07 pm
URBANDALE, Iowa - A suburban Des Moines home complete with its own drawbridge and dance floor drew a price over $1 million at a weekend auction.
- Wolves to hold open house for prospective ticket-buyers Updated: Jun-26-15 2:57 pm
MINNEAPOLIS - The Minnesota Timberwolves have scheduled an open house for fans considering season tickets, trying to build off the buzz created by their high-profile draft picks.
- The Latest: NY Assembly votes 122-13 for rent, tax bill Updated: Jun-26-15 12:37 am
ALBANY, New York - The latest in the New York Legislature finishing its session for the year with a broad deal on rent controls, property taxes and education:
- To sway regulators, Charter pledges to play nice on Internet Updated: Jun-25-15 3:15 pm
NEW YORK - Charter is trying to convince the government that consumers will benefit if it is allowed to create a cable giant through its proposed $67.1 billion acquisition of Time Warner Cable and Bright House.
- Average US rate on 30-year mortgage edges up to 4.02 pct. Updated: Jun-25-15 11:09 am
WASHINGTON - Average long-term U.S. mortgage rates were mixed this week, marking slight increases or declines but remaining close to high levels for the year.
- Street of Dreams project keeps Jackson legacy alive in Gary Updated: Jun-25-15 10:46 am
GARY, Indiana - Thursday marked six years since the unexpected death of Michael Jackson, the King of Pop, whose infectious music and polarizing fame reverberated across the globe.
- US consumers ramp up May spending; largest gain since 2009 Updated: Jun-25-15 10:01 am
WASHINGTON - U.S. consumer spending surged in May with the biggest monthly increase in nearly six years - a sign of stronger economic growth ahead.
- Airbnb looks to expand Cuba listings to non-Americans Updated: Jun-24-15 5:38 pm
HAVANA - Online home-rental service Airbnb says it is exploring a significant expansion of its operations in Cuba two months after it became the first major U.S. business to enter the island in decades.