- For NYC landlords, new rules loom on buying tenants out Updated: Sep-03-15 12:28 am
NEW YORK - New York City is poised to rein in landlords seeking to buy tenants out of rent-regulated apartments, a practice that has come under scrutiny in a roaring real-estate market.
- Federal government files suit against Sioux Falls landlord Updated: Aug-31-15 1:54 pm
SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota - The U.S. government has filed a lawsuit against a Sioux Falls landlord, alleging he refused to let a tenant with a fractured leg move back into an apartment over concerns that a wheelchair could damage the carpet.
- EXCHANGE: First house in Plainfield example of preservation Updated: Aug-31-15 4:10 am
PLAINFIELD, Illinois - John and Keebie Bright's new home in Plainfield is filled with antiques.
- Impact of 340 expansion in Jefferson County still unclear Updated: Aug-30-15 9:55 am
CHARLES TOWN, West Virginia - The West Virginia Division of Highways says construction on the expansion of U.S. 340 South in Jefferson County, in the works since 1999, may not begin for another three years.
- Man walking home from store killed by hit-and-run driver Updated: Aug-29-15 12:56 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - A 29-year-old man who was walking home from a store in Little Rock after buying a birthday present for his brother was killed when he was struck by a hit-and-run driver in a van.
- Court says city can't stop re-renting of mobile home spaces Updated: Aug-29-15 10:02 am
BRANDON, Mississippi - A Rankin County judge has ruled a municipality cannot stop a mobile home park from re-renting vacated spaces.
- 'Fire hazard' home burns as couple signs deed to buy it Updated: Aug-27-15 10:08 am
MEYERSDALE, Pennsylvania - A western Pennsylvania couple who bought a neighboring vacant house because they feared it was a fire hazard was right: It caught fire while they were at the county courthouse signing the deed.
- Baton Rouge-area home sales increase in July Updated: Aug-27-15 7:02 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - For the second month in a row, the number of houses sold in metro Baton Rouge increased from a year ago.
- Astoria struggling with shortage of housing Updated: Aug-26-15 12:54 pm
ASTORIA, Oregon - Anyone who has tried to rent an apartment or buy a house in Astoria since the recession knows the story: few choices, relatively high cost.
- 'Bat Condos' aim to provide shelter for thousands of bats Updated: Aug-26-15 7:25 am
BANGOR, Maine - Two newly constructed bat condominiums have been unveiled in Bangor to provide shelter for thousands of bats.
- Los Angeles Art Deco building to be converted to condos Updated: Aug-26-15 5:40 am
LOS ANGELES - A shortage of condominiums in downtown Los Angeles has prompted the owner of a landmark Art Deco-style apartment tower to convert 74 units.
- Western NY homes used by family drug ring being demolished Updated: Aug-25-15 5:38 pm
BUFFALO, New York - Six houses in Buffalo that were once used by a family of drug dealers are being demolished by authorities.
- 3 decomposing bodies found in building owned by funeral home Updated: Aug-25-15 3:43 pm
PHILADELPHIA - Philadelphia police and city health officials are investigating the discovery of three decomposing bodies in a building owned by a nearby funeral home.
- US new-home sales rebound in July Updated: Aug-25-15 10:23 am
WASHINGTON - Americans stepped up their purchases of new homes in July, with sales surging in the Northeast.
- US home rents rose in July as ownership market cooled Updated: Aug-25-15 8:33 am
WASHINGTON - U.S. home rents jumped in July as house prices showed signs of flagging.
- Katrina marker commemorates flooding of Lower 9th Ward Updated: Aug-24-15 9:52 pm
NEW ORLEANS - The catastrophic flooding of New Orleans' Lower 9th Ward now has a commemorative marker at the site where a floodwall protecting the neighborhood collapsed, unleashing a wall of water 10 years ago during Hurricane Katrina.
- AP survey: Dimmer outlook for US economy, wages and hiring Updated: Aug-24-15 2:13 pm
WASHINGTON - For much of the economy's fitful and sluggish six-year recovery from the Great Recession, analysts have foreseen a sunnier future: Growth would pick up in six months, or in a year.
- Arizona apartment rental company gives felons second chance Updated: Aug-23-15 9:04 pm
TUCSON, Arizona - A Phoenix-based apartment company is expanding to Tucson thanks in part to its target clientele: convicted felons.
- Family of 5 sells house, moves into 200-square-foot home Updated: Aug-23-15 11:47 am
SELBY, South Dakota - A family of five has traded in their 2,500-square-foot house for a 200-square-foot living space in northern South Dakota.
- 4 displaced after Bismarck rental house fire Updated: Aug-22-15 4:07 pm
BISMARCK, North Dakota - Four residents have been displaced from their rental house after an early morning fire in Bismarck.
- Program offers financial assistance for veteran home repairs Updated: Aug-22-15 10:01 am
BEDFORD, New Hampshire - A new program offers New Hampshire veterans financial assistance for home repairs or accessibility improvements.
- Mexico's first lady returns mansion after scandal broke out Updated: Aug-21-15 6:09 pm
MEXICO CITY - First lady Angelica Rivera has returned the $7 million mansion she bought from a firm that won lucrative contracts with the administration of President Enrique Pena Nieto, Mexico's Public Administration Department said Friday.
- Company to raze Lafayette home where man's body decayed Updated: Aug-21-15 2:13 pm
LAFAYETTE, Indiana - A construction company that's purchased the Lafayette home where an 88-year-old man lay dead for more than nine months plans to raze the residence and build a new one in its place.
- Alicia Keys puts 32-room New Jersey home on market for $15M Updated: Aug-21-15 7:52 am
ENGLEWOOD, New Jersey - Officials say Alicia Keys has put her 32-room northern New Jersey home and an adjacent property on the market with an asking price of $14.9 million.
- Polytechnic board approves nearly $1M for presidential home Updated: Aug-21-15 5:58 am
LAKELAND, Florida - Florida Polytechnic University's board of trustees has agreed to buy President Randy Avent a $975,000 home.