- 5 injured when man sets fireworks at California block party Updated: Jul-05-15 9:20 pm
HOLLISTER, California - A man has been arrested in the central California city of Hollister on suspicion of setting off fireworks at a July Fourth block party, sending at least five people to the hospital.
- Man shoots off firework from top of his head, dies instantly Updated: Jul-05-15 8:43 pm
CALAIS, Maine - A 22-year-old man who was drinking and celebrating the Fourth of July tried to launch a firework off the top of his head, killing him instantly, authorities said Sunday.
- Volunteers guard nesting shorebirds during holiday weekend Updated: Jul-05-15 7:47 pm
BILOXI, Mississippi - Members and friends of the Audubon Mississippi Coastal Bird Stewardship Program spent the Independence Day weekend protecting breeding shorebirds from merrymakers and fireworks.
- Norfolk's July 4th parade held without controversy this year Updated: Jul-05-15 6:19 pm
NORFOLK, Nebraska - A year after a float comparing President Barack Obama's future presidential library to an outhouse drew sharp criticism, Norfolk's Fourth of July parade didn't generate controversy.
- Firefighter suspended for flying Confederate flag in parade Updated: Jul-05-15 4:32 pm
ALBERT LEA, Minnesota - A Minnesota volunteer firefighter was suspended Sunday for flying a Confederate flag from an engine that he drove in a holiday parade, and he said he expects to be asked to resign.
- 2-state parade whittled to 1 because detour signs not up Updated: Jul-05-15 3:47 pm
HAVERHILL, New Hampshire - A two-state Fourth of July parade that crosses the Connecticut River between Vermont and New Hampshire was whittled down to one state when Vermont officials noticed detour signs were not in place.
- Fireworks lead to 2 structure fires in Las Vegas area Updated: Jul-05-15 3:41 pm
LAS VEGAS - Fourth of July fireworks were the cause of two structure fires as well as dozens of minor fires in the Las Vegas area Saturday night.
- Authorities: Man loses part of his leg in fireworks accident Updated: Jul-05-15 3:25 pm
LEONIA, New Jersey - A northern New Jersey man blew off part of his left leg in a July Fourth fireworks accident.
- At least 7 fires burn on Hawaiian islands during holiday Updated: Jul-05-15 2:26 pm
HONOLULU - At least 7 fires broke out across Hawaii on the Fourth of July, burning brush, a Maui home and a pile of scrap mental.
- Woman struck by bullet while at Pennsylvania amusement park Updated: Jul-05-15 11:47 am
WEST MIFFLIN, Pennsylvania - Police believe a shot that injured a woman at a suburban Pittsburgh amusement park came from outside the park, perhaps from someone nearby celebrating the Fourth of July.
- Large wave washes out Jersey shore town's fireworks display Updated: Jul-05-15 11:46 am
SEASIDE HEIGHTS, New Jersey - A large wave washed out the Fourth of July fireworks show in a Jersey shore community.
- Queen Latifah, Amy Schumer headline Fourth of July festival Updated: Jul-05-15 11:31 am
NEW YORK - Queen Latifah started with "The Star-Spangled Banner" and ended with a rap classic, Amy Schumer told raunchy jokes despite some children in the crowd and country singer Sara Evans was a vocal powerhouse when she covered Sam Smith.
- 78 people become US citizens during Monticello ceremony Updated: Jul-05-15 11:22 am
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia - More than 70 people took oaths to become U.S. citizens during an annual naturalization ceremony at Thomas Jefferson's home.
- Same-sex marriage could provide business boost in Nebraska Updated: Jul-05-15 8:41 am
LINCOLN, Nebraska - The U.S. Supreme Court decision to allow same-sex marriage could be good news for businesses that serve couples, from wedding planners to divorce attorneys.
- America celebrates Independence Day with fireworks, parades Updated: Jul-05-15 2:46 am
Americans celebrated 239 years as an independent nation on Saturday with extravagant fireworks displays, rock and classical concerts and parades both big and small. Here were some highlights of Independence Day festivities around the nation:
- Spectators brave tight security for NYC fireworks show Updated: Jul-04-15 11:56 pm
NEW YORK - Hundreds of thousands of people braved tight security along New York City's East River to watch the annual Macy's Fourth of July fireworks display.
- Barry Manilow headliens 'Capitol Fourth' concert in DC Updated: Jul-04-15 11:04 pm
WASHINGTON - Barry Manilow sang a medley of "Let Freedom Ring" to lead off a booming fireworks display on the National Mall.
- Music, cultural celebrations mark July 4th festivities in DC Updated: Jul-04-15 10:55 pm
WASHINGTON - The National Symphony played the "1812 Overture" as cannons roared amid a fireworks display on the National Mall.
- Billy Joel weds girlfriend during Fourth of July party Updated: Jul-04-15 10:49 pm
NEW YORK - Billy Joel married girlfriend Alexis Roderick in a surprise ceremony at the couple's annual Fourth of July party.
- NBC returns to NASCAR coverage with Sunday race at Daytona Updated: Jul-04-15 6:36 pm
DAYTONA BEACH, Florida - For 29 years, the summer race at Daytona International Speedway was a part of the nation's birthday.
- Nebraska National Guard museum holds dedication ceremony Updated: Jul-04-15 5:33 pm
SEWARD, Nebraska - The Nebraska National Guard held a dedication ceremony for its new museum during Independence Day festivities in Seward.
- Gov. Walker and Wisconsin GOP retreat on open records limits Updated: Jul-04-15 5:23 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - In a sudden reversal amid a stinging backlash, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker and GOP legislative leaders said they agreed Saturday to completely remove a part of the proposed state budget that would severely roll back open records laws.
- 'Candy Bomber' drops sweets from Utah's air for July 4 Updated: Jul-04-15 4:31 pm
OREM, Utah - A pilot who delivered candy to children in Berlin at the end of World War II parachuted sweets down to Orem to celebrate Independence Day.
- July 4th visitors get glimpse of Peru in America's capital Updated: Jul-04-15 4:27 pm
WASHINGTON - Visitors on the National Mall are getting a glimpse of Peru's arts and culture, along with patriotic celebrations for America's birthday.
- National Archives invites visitors to 'sign' the Declaration Updated: Jul-04-15 4:25 pm
WASHINGTON - Visitors to the National Archives building in Washington got a chance to "sign" the Declaration of Independence to celebrate the Fourth of July.