- Shoes in memory of Miles, a baby with a broken heart Updated: Feb-06-16 11:05 am
LINCOLN, Nebraska - Miles was born with lots of hair, like his big brother.
- The Latest: Puerto Rico declares Zika emergency Updated: Feb-05-16 3:03 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - The Latest on efforts to battle the Zika virus (all times local):
- Zika spotlights rare birth defect with a variety of causes Updated: Feb-04-16 2:39 pm
WASHINGTON - The Zika virus is putting a spotlight on a potentially devastating birth defect that until now has gotten little public attention.
- Drugmaker Sanofi Pasteur launches effort for Zika vaccine Updated: Feb-02-16 9:07 am
PARIS - Drugmaker Sanofi Pasteur said Tuesday it is launching an effort to research and develop a vaccine to prevent the Zika virus, after the World Health Organization declared a global emergency over its explosive spread across the Americas.
- UN health chief: Zika virus is 'spreading explosively' Updated: Jan-28-16 7:18 pm
GENEVA - The Zika virus is "spreading explosively" in the Americas, which could see up to 4 million cases over the next year, international health officials said Thursday, announcing a special meeting next week to decide if they should declare an international health emergency.
- In face of Zika virus, women ponder abortion, childlessness Updated: Jan-28-16 7:18 pm
SAN SALVADOR, El Salvador - Maria Erlinda Guzman desperately wants a baby, and has been undergoing fertility treatments at El Salvador's largest women's hospital. But now, she fears her dream of motherhood may be dashed by Zika.
- What to know about the tropical Zika virus in Latin America Updated: Jan-25-16 9:32 pm
NEW YORK - A rare tropical disease is spreading in parts of Latin America and the Caribbean. The mosquito-borne Zika virus usually causes a mild illness but is now suspected in an unusual birth defect and possibly other health issues. Some things to know:
- Q&A: Hawaii baby born with defect linked to Zika virus Updated: Jan-19-16 7:24 pm
HONOLULU - Health officials say a baby born in a Hawaii hospital is the first in the U.S. with a birth defect linked to the Zika virus, a tropical illness currently found in Latin American and Caribbean countries.
- CDC: Ask pregnant women about trips to Zika outbreak areas Updated: Jan-19-16 6:13 pm
NEW YORK - U.S. health officials issued new guidance Tuesday for doctors whose pregnant patients may have traveled to regions with a tropical illness linked to birth defects.
- Q&A: Hawaii baby born with defect linked to Zika virus Updated: Jan-19-16 5:10 pm
HONOLULU - HONOLULU - Health officials say a baby born in a Hawaii hospital is the first in the United States with a birth defect linked to the Zika virus, a tropical illness currently found in Latin American and Caribbean countries. The Hawaii state Department of Health said the baby's mother likely contracted the disease while living in Brazil last year and passed it on while her child was in the womb. Here are some questions and answers about the case.
- Baby born in Hawaii is 1st US birth with Zika virus, defect Updated: Jan-17-16 7:09 pm
HONOLULU - Health officials say a baby born in a Hawaii hospital is the first in the United States born with Zika virus.
- CDC: Strong signs Brazil birth defects are tied to mosquito Updated: Jan-13-16 3:58 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Researchers have found the strongest evidence so far of a possible link between a mosquito-borne virus and a surge of birth defects in Brazil, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Wednesday.