- Shocking ads ignite debate about abortion ban in Chile Updated: May-28-15 5:56 pm
SANTIAGO, Chile - The video shows a woman climbing a stairwell, her belly visibly pregnant, as she offers suggestions: Make sure there are no security cameras. Be careful not to look down or you might regret it.
- Prototype for 1st home pregnancy test going to auction Updated: May-28-15 12:08 pm
NEW YORK - The prototype for the first home pregnancy test is going on the auction block in New York City.
- Bill extending NC abortion wait period advances in Senate Updated: May-27-15 5:17 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - A state Senate committee has approved a proposal for North Carolina to join the handful of states that require a 72-hour waiting period for abortions.
- Abortion ban based on heartbeat rejected by appeals court Updated: May-27-15 4:18 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - A federal appeals court struck down one of the nation's toughest abortion restrictions on Wednesday, agreeing with a lower court that ruled an Arkansas law unconstitutionally burdens women by banning abortions after the 12th week of pregnancy if a doctor can detect a fetal heartbeat.
- Quadruplets born to 65-year-old mom still in critical phase Updated: May-27-15 9:47 am
BERLIN - Doctors say the week-old quadruplets born prematurely to 65-year-old Annegret Raunigk in Berlin are still in intensive care, but have been gaining a little weight and are being given their mother's milk through feeding tubes.
- California bill compels abortion notice at pregnancy centers Updated: May-26-15 7:46 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Californians who visit crisis pregnancy centers must know whether the facility is licensed and that abortion is an option under legislation advanced Tuesday by the state Assembly.
- Abortion parental notification bill draws heated testimony Updated: May-25-15 7:43 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Nevada lawmakers are considering a hot-button measure that would make the state the 39th to require parents to be notified before their child gets an abortion.
- Some of the major bills approved by Oklahoma Legislature Updated: May-22-15 6:44 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - The Oklahoma Legislature wrapped up the 2015 legislative session on Friday, one week before its constitutionally mandated deadline, by passing dozens of last-minute measures. Among them are several related to the $7.1 billion state budget.
- Tennessee editorial roundup Updated: May-20-15 1:13 pm
Recent editorials from Tennessee newspapers:
- SC Senate approves bill banning abortions after 19 weeks Updated: May-19-15 6:48 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The state Senate on Tuesday adopted a compromise on an anti-abortion bill, allowing the chamber to move on to road funding in the session's waning weeks.
- Pioneer in spreading Lamaze childbirth method in US dies Updated: May-16-15 7:55 pm
NEW YORK - When Elisabeth Bing became interested in childbirth techniques in the 1950s, women were often heavily medicated, dads were generally nowhere near the delivery room and expectant parents had far less information than many do today.
- Abortion-rights supporter, ex-lawmaker named to health board Updated: May-15-15 5:05 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - Gov. Terry McAuliffe has appointed an outspoken abortion-rights supporter and a former Democratic state lawmaker to the Virginia Board of Health.
- Louisiana House backs ban on abortions based on gender Updated: May-14-15 3:57 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Louisiana would prohibit abortions based on gender under a bill that won overwhelming, bipartisan passage Thursday from the state House despite questions about whether provisions that allow for lawsuits and damage claims go too far.
- House approves GOP bill banning most late-term abortions Updated: May-13-15 7:24 pm
WASHINGTON - Republicans finally won House approval Wednesday for a late-term abortion ban after dropping rape provisions that provoked a rebellion by female GOP lawmakers, forcing party leaders into an embarrassing retreat.
- Judge throws out part of suit against Louisiana abortion law Updated: May-12-15 7:28 pm
NEW ORLEANS - A federal judge ruled Tuesday that Louisiana's law requiring abortion clinic doctors to gain hospital admitting privileges could pose too great an obstacle to abortions even though there's a rational reason for the law.
- Demonstrators ask McCrory to stop new NC abortion bill Updated: May-11-15 7:52 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Abortion-rights advocates returned to the Executive Mansion on Monday to urge North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory to veto a bill, should it reach his desk, that would extend the waiting period for the procedure from 24 to 72 hours.
- New blood tests, liquid biopsies, may transform cancer care Updated: May-11-15 3:37 pm
A new type of blood test is starting to transform cancer treatment, sparing some patients the surgical and needle biopsies long needed to guide their care.
- Uruguayan judge refuses to order abortion for 11-year-old Updated: May-08-15 4:47 pm
MONTEVIDEO, Uruguay - A judge in Uruguay has ruled it is not up to the courts to decide whether an 11-year-old mentally disabled girl has an abortion even though her mother sought its authorization.
- Woman paralyzed after childbirth awarded $35.4M in lawsuit Updated: May-08-15 3:04 am
DEDHAM, Massachusetts - Officials say a Massachusetts woman who became paralyzed following childbirth has been awarded $35.4 million in a medical malpractice lawsuit.
- Republicans introduce bill banning abortions after 20 weeks Updated: May-07-15 4:40 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Non-emergency abortions performed after 20 weeks of pregnancy could be banned in Wisconsin under a Republican bill introduced Thursday.
- Correction: Preemie Survival story Updated: May-07-15 12:22 pm
In a story May 6 about extremely premature babies, The Associated Press reported erroneously that 5½-year-old Dexter Brandy needs oxygen when he sleeps. He stopped needing oxygen at 10 months, his mother said.
- Mother says she was told to stop breastfeeding in court Updated: May-07-15 2:13 am
LANSING, Michigan - A mother says she was told to stop breastfeeding her baby during a hearing at a Lansing court, leading to a planned protest by a group of women.
- House Health Committee advances bills restricting abortions Updated: May-06-15 6:28 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - The House Health Committee on Wednesday advanced a series of restrictions that opponents say would ban most abortions in the state.
- Pennsylvania's 1st breast milk bank to open in Pittsburgh Updated: May-06-15 4:44 pm
PITTSBURGH - The first breast milk bank that will service the entire state is set to open in Pittsburgh in late summer or early fall.
- Ex-gynecologist in Paragould sentenced for voyeurism Updated: May-06-15 2:05 pm
PARAGOULD, Arkansas - A former Paragould gynecologist has been sentenced to three years in prison after pleading guilty to video voyeurism involving female patients at his clinic.