- House Health Committee advances bills restricting abortions Updated: May-06-15 6:28 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - The House Health Committee on Wednesday advanced a series of restrictions that opponents say would ban most abortions in the state.
- La. House panel OKs bill prohibiting sex-selection abortion Updated: May-06-15 4:31 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - A proposal to ban abortions in Louisiana based on gender sailed through the House health care committee Wednesday.
- Ohio clinics close, abortions decline amid restrictions Updated: May-03-15 11:53 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The number of abortion providers in Ohio has shrunk by half amid a flurry of restrictive new laws over the past four years, and the number of the procedures also is declining, according to a review of records by The Associated Press.
- House OKs GOP measure blocking local DC abortion rights law Updated: Apr-30-15 11:14 pm
WASHINGTON - Republicans pushed legislation through the House Thursday that would revoke a District of Columbia law barring discrimination in the city against workers who have abortions, the latest clash pitting claims of religious freedom against reproductive rights.
- Governor vetoes 34 bills, all but 2 from Republicans Updated: Apr-30-15 5:15 pm
HELENA, Montana - Montana's Democratic governor has vetoed more bills from this year's Republican-controlled Legislature than he had at this point after the 2013 session.
- Rights group urges Paraguay to permit girl to have abortion Updated: Apr-30-15 4:22 pm
ASUNCION, Paraguay - Amnesty International is calling on Paraguay's government to allow a 10-year-old girl to get an abortion for the sake of her health.
- Health care debate wades into abortion restrictions Updated: Apr-28-15 9:02 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - House Republicans are moving to license Minnesota abortion providers and ban taxpayer dollars for paying for the procedure.
- Kansas AG seeks up to $450K to defend anti-abortion law Updated: Apr-27-15 8:02 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas' attorney general is telling legislators that defending a first-of-its-kind anti-abortion law in court could cost the state up to $450,000, as Republican Gov. Sam Brownback commemorates the measure with events across the state.
- Abortion rights group gets Ohio records; lawsuit dismissed Updated: Apr-27-15 1:02 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Ohio Supreme Court dismissed a public records dispute on Monday after an abortion rights group said it had received the information it was seeking from the state's health department.
- NC House OKs extending length of wait time before abortion Updated: Apr-23-15 9:29 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The state House agreed Thursday to extend the abortion waiting period in North Carolina from 24 hours to 72 hours, with a majority deciding the extra time was about helping women make a more informed decision rather than belittling their ability to choose.
- Bill limiting location could force abortion clinics to close Updated: Apr-23-15 7:58 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Legislation introduced this week in the state House of Representatives would close at least one of Alabama's four abortion clinics, and possibly others, by prohibiting the clinics from being located near schools.
- Mississippi abortion clinic seeks to keep blocking 2012 law Updated: Apr-23-15 5:26 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Attorneys for Mississippi's only abortion clinic are asking the U.S. Supreme Court not to review a lower court's ruling that is keeping the clinic open.
- Louisiana moves ahead with abortion regulation rewrite Updated: Apr-21-15 4:49 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal's administration has rewritten the state's abortion clinic regulations, a move that abortion-rights supporters say was unnecessary and intended to hinder the operation of clinics.
- Restrictions for Tennessee's 7 abortion clinics head to gov. Updated: Apr-21-15 4:19 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Legislation that would place licensing restrictions on all seven of Tennessee's abortion clinics was overwhelmingly approved by state lawmakers Tuesday and sent to the governor, who's expected to sign them into law.
- Arkansas Legislature leads nation in 2015 anti-abortion laws Updated: Apr-12-15 11:25 am
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - After passing the top priority of anti-abortion groups early in the session and with one of the nation's toughest bans already tied up in the courts, Arkansas lawmakers closed out the session by passing more restrictions than any other state so far this year.
- Panel OKs bill requiring parental notification for abortion Updated: Apr-10-15 9:23 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Nevada lawmakers gave initial approval to a bill requiring doctors to notify a girl's parents before performing an abortion when the patient is a minor.
- House endorses abortion-related health insurance bill Updated: Apr-10-15 5:38 pm
HELENA, Montana - The Montana House endorsed a bill Friday that would require health insurance companies to offer coverage plans that do not include elective abortions.
- Bill to ban abortions over disabilities stalls in House Updated: Apr-08-15 7:04 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - A bill that would prohibit abortions based on gender or fetal disabilities such as Down syndrome will not receive a committee hearing in the House this session, lawmakers said Wednesday.
- Kansas governor signs nation's 1st ban on abortion procedure Updated: Apr-07-15 10:55 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas became the first state Tuesday to ban a common second-trimester abortion procedure that critics describe as dismembering a fetus.