- Rep. Edwards to attend event on healthy meals in schools Updated: Aug-03-15 2:19 am
CAPITOL HEIGHTS, Maryland - Rep. Donna Edwards is scheduled to attend an event that will highlight an initiative aimed at improving the ability of schools to provide healthy meals to school children.
- Florida health officials host online summer camp Updated: Aug-02-15 10:32 am
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - Can't afford to send your kids to summer camp? Too hot to play camp games outside all day? Florida health officials have a solution. They're hosting an online summer camp for kids to promote exercise, good eating habits and other healthy behaviors.
- Community-sponsored agriculture produces satisfied customers Updated: Aug-02-15 9:50 am
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - "You know the worst part about this?" Pam McDevitt joked last Tuesday as she picked up her weekly load of produce. "The pressure to use up all this" - she gestured to the corn and cantaloupes and tomatoes - "before Sunday!"
- Local actress lands spot on 'Hawaii Five-O' Updated: Jul-31-15 9:04 am
LIHUE, Hawaii - A local actress and owner of a popular yoga studio in Kapaa has landed a guest spot on the CBS police drama "Hawaii Five-O."
- How to find healthy eats at Florida theme parks, zoos Updated: Jul-30-15 3:04 am
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - Don't stress if you're trying to eat healthy while on summer vacation. Florida health officials are highlighting some guilt-free options for you at theme parks and zoos.
- Idaho Racing Commission delays breeder distribution decision Updated: Jul-29-15 7:07 pm
BOISE, Idaho - Idaho horse breeders could end up empty-handed due to a dispute about how the money collected from lucrative betting machines should be distributed.
- Correction: Weight Loss-Balloon story Updated: Jul-29-15 1:58 pm
WASHINGTON - In a story July 28 about an inflatable medical balloon approved to treat obesity, The Associated Press reported erroneously the amount of weight patients regained after having the device removed. Patients actually regained about one-third of their lost weight.
- Nike offers partial refund to end FuelBand lawsuit Updated: Jul-27-15 7:31 pm
NEW YORK - Nike will give partial refunds or gift cards to people who bought FuelBand fitness trackers in the last 3 1/2 years, resolving a lawsuit that says the products can't accurately tally how many steps a user is taking or how many calories they've burned.
- California trainer jailed after allegedly raping teen client Updated: Jul-26-15 3:35 pm
MILPITAS, California - Police in Northern California say a fitness trainer is in jail after he was accused earlier this month of raping a 16-year-old female client.
- Yoga philosopher brings lessons to Ketchikan Updated: Jul-26-15 4:10 am
KETCHIKAN, Alaska - Yoga philosopher Ram Vakkalanka is blunt when talking about common perceptions about yoga, the ancient Indian practice of meditation and physical movement.
- Exercise good for brain, even for those with Alzheimer's Updated: Jul-23-15 6:05 pm
WASHINGTON - Exercise may do more than keep a healthy brain fit: New research suggests working up a good sweat may also offer some help once memory starts to slide- and even improve life for people with Alzheimer's.
- Lower Fruitland man uses $10,000 grant to promote fitness Updated: Jul-23-15 2:08 am
UPPER FRUITLAND, New Mexico - As rock music echoed inside the Walter Collins Center, Rashaun Nez observed the form and techniques used by the seven students enrolled in his Warrior Fitness Challenge program.
- 560-pound man biking across US to lose weight Updated: Jul-22-15 6:16 pm
TIVERTON, Rhode Island - A 560-pound man biking across the United States to lose weight hit a snag in Rhode Island.
- Report: School ban on sugary sodas, sweet snacks working Updated: Jul-22-15 3:17 pm
BOSTON - Rules aimed at banning sugary sodas, sweet snacks, potato chips and other standard school vending machine fare appear to be working in Massachusetts, according to a study released Wednesday.
- Police say missing woman found in a shed on her property Updated: Jul-22-15 12:48 pm
LONDONDERRY, New Hampshire - Authorities say a 72-year-old New Hampshire woman who was missing for a day has been found safe in a pool filter box in a shed on her property.
- Becoming a dad? Expect to gain 3 to 5 pounds, study suggests Updated: Jul-21-15 5:47 pm
NEW YORK - Many men gain a new sense of responsibility and purpose when they become fathers. A new study suggests they also gain 3 to 5 pounds.
- Summer youth fitness program teaches healthy eating Updated: Jul-18-15 10:10 am
MARTINSBURG, West Virginia - Both Samuel Patton and Chloe DeMoulin now have a new appreciation about what's contained in some popular, name-brand cupcakes, thanks to registered nurse Joan Starliper's presentation at a session of Wellkids Fun in Training (FIT) - a summer fitness program that includes plenty of exercise, healthy snacks and plain old fun.
- Dallas Zoo crew cooks up some wild dishes for finicky eaters Updated: Jul-16-15 6:01 pm
DALLAS - Most restaurants have to contend with finicky eaters, food supply issues and the bottom line.
- Report: Nearly 1 in 3 young US adults too fat for military Updated: Jul-15-15 6:55 am
WICHITA, Kansas - The nation's obesity epidemic is causing significant recruiting problems for the military, with one in three young adults nationwide too fat to enlist, according to report issued Wednesday by a group of retired military leaders.
- Nearly 5 years in prison for owners in fatal mauling by dogs Updated: Jul-14-15 8:16 pm
LAPEER, Michigan - A man and his wife were sentenced to nearly five years in prison Tuesday for failing to control dogs who killed a cancer survivor as he jogged on a rural road.
- Like gym memberships, enthusiasm for fitness trackers drops Updated: Jul-11-15 8:03 am
NEW YORK - Deepak Jayasimha's fitness tracker is now with his father-in-law in India, where it sits unused. Annabel Kelly foisted hers off on the kids. Virginia Atkinson took hers off to charge the battery and hasn't picked it up since February.
- Newington Farmers Market keeps the fresh food flowing Updated: Jul-11-15 3:06 am
NEWINGTON, Connecticut - It's all homegrown and handmade at the Newington Farmers Market.
- Witnesses: Jogger pinned after being hit by hay bale Updated: Jul-08-15 5:47 pm
WARREN, Rhode Island - Police have identified a woman who was hurt while jogging in Rhode Island when she was hit by a hay bale and pinned underneath a trailer hauling hay.
- King pigeon pose ahead? Putin tells Indian PM: I'll try yoga Updated: Jul-08-15 11:02 am
UFA, Russia - He's flown with cranes, petted a polar bear and tranquilized a tiger. Now Vladimir Putin is ready to face the Downward Dog.
- Institutions like hospitals can help local mid-size farms Updated: Jul-05-15 1:04 pm
PORTLAND, Oregon - At Oregon Health & Science University recently, the lunch offerings included sandwiches made with organic chicken breast - locally sourced - on focaccia bread, baked locally and delivered daily. Plus salad made from local greens. Not a pre-packaged, mass-produced item in sight.