- YMCA new fitness center now under construction Updated: Jul-02-15 6:58 am
SHREVEPORT, Louisiana - The YMCA has started construction on its Red River Fitness and Natural Sciences campus in Shreveport.
- Competitive eating is more than just chowing down Updated: Jul-02-15 6:13 am
LAS VEGAS - Miki Sudo is downing oysters at the Orleans.
- USDA proposes healthier fare for child, adult day cares Updated: Jun-27-15 10:48 am
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - As teachers lament seeing toddlers too large to fit in playground swings, a federal program that feeds millions of low-income children may be overhauled for the first time in almost 50 years, aiming to make the meals at day cares healthier and reduce obesity.
- Olive Branch reviews ambitious plans for City Park Updated: Jun-25-15 4:04 am
OLIVE BRANCH, Mississippi - Olive Branch's 135-acre premier park is undergoing work on its lake and walking trails, but city officials may spend millions of dollars more to broaden the park system's appeal.
- Trim gym trend turning fitness fans into business owners Updated: Jun-24-15 6:31 am
NEW YORK - Slim one-room gyms are in, and the low cost of starting them is turning gym rats and workout instructors into entrepreneurs.
- Free fitness park to open near Detroit's east riverfront Updated: Jun-24-15 4:05 am
DETROIT - A ribbon-cutting is scheduled for a free outdoor workout space near Detroit's riverfront.
- Editor selections from the Middle East Updated: Jun-22-15 8:33 am
Across the Middle East last week, Muslims marked the start of Ramadan, a month of intense prayer, dawn-to-dusk fasting and nightly feasts.
- Millions of people bend and twist their bodies for Yoga Day Updated: Jun-22-15 12:07 am
NEW DELHI - Millions of yoga enthusiasts across the world bent and twisted their bodies in complex postures Sunday to mark the first International Yoga Day.
- CVS Health launches health, beauty makeover for drugstores Updated: Jun-17-15 5:05 pm
CVS drugstores that quit tobacco sales last year are now getting health and beauty makeovers and a shot of ethnic diversity in some cases to attract customers who want more than a prescription refill.
- Q&A: What are trans fats and why are they unhealthy? Updated: Jun-17-15 10:05 am
WASHINGTON - You may not even know you are eating them, but trans fats will soon be mostly gone from your food. The Food and Drug Administration said Tuesday it will require food companies to phase them out over the next three years because the agency says they are a threat to public health.
- The Latest: Warriors' Iguodala voted MVP of NBA Finals Updated: Jun-17-15 12:18 am
CLEVELAND - The Latest from Game 6 of the NBA Finals (all times local):
- FDA tells food industry to phase out artificial trans fats Updated: Jun-16-15 11:01 pm
WASHINGTON - Popular foods like pie crusts, frostings and microwave popcorn will be largely rid of artery-clogging trans fats after a decision by the Obama administration to phase them out over the next three years.
- Weightlifting helps man get healthy after retirement Updated: Jun-16-15 3:09 pm
ERIE, Pennsylvania - LeRoy Burton felt a lot older than 67 when he walked into Joe Orengia's gym 13 years ago.
- Loan, grant fund to address lack of access to healthy food Updated: Jun-15-15 5:44 pm
LANSING, Michigan - A loan and grant fund announced Monday in Lansing is designed to address the lack of access to healthy food in underserved communities across the state.
- 'Giving Garden' volunteers farm fresh produce for food bank Updated: Jun-14-15 3:05 am
MYSTIC, Connecticut - The garden at Coogan Farm looks like a typical patch of farmland planted with tomatoes, potatoes and other varieties of vegetables.
- March for babies: Hundreds walk for healthy babies Updated: Jun-13-15 9:41 am
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - On June 6, descendants of the original March of Dimes generation proved that they haven't lost a step when it comes to helping children born prematurely or with birth defects.
- Bounce it out: Students on exercise balls concentrate more Updated: Jun-13-15 9:16 am
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - Brady Stafford sits quietly, his feet flat on the floor with pencil in hand, as he pours over the math problems before him trying to solve for the mean, median and mode.
- Lawyer: Legal fight against yoga in schools is finished Updated: Jun-12-15 9:55 pm
LOS ANGELES - The lawyer who led an unsuccessful fight to block a San Diego County school system from teaching yoga says no appeal is planned.
- 5 things about trans fats and the FDA's proposed phase out Updated: Jun-10-15 1:00 pm
WASHINGTON - There are a lot fewer trans fats in the nation's food than there were a decade ago, but the Obama administration is moving toward getting rid of them almost entirely.
- Pet food maker Blue Buffalo files for IPO worth up to $500M Updated: Jun-10-15 12:14 pm
NEW YORK - Blue Buffalo Pet Products, which has seen its sales skyrocket as health-conscious consumers look for healthier foods for their pets as well, is filing for an initial public offering worth up to $500 million.
- Louisiana congressman dodges gators on daily jogs on farm Updated: Jun-07-15 4:32 pm
ALTO, Louisiana - Louisiana Congressman Ralph Abraham dodges alligators, 100-pound snapping turtles and snakes during his daily jogs on the freshman Republican's Alto farm.
- Post-cancer fitness brings new life for survivors Updated: Jun-07-15 11:23 am
LONGPORT, New Jersey - Two years ago, Allison Kashon tried to hit the gym three times a week. She rode her bike regularly and got her cardio in on treadmills and ellipticals.
- Partial packing list for rowboat crossing the Pacific Updated: Jun-07-15 6:33 am
CHOSHI, Japan - Most of us have enough trouble remembering our train passes and car keys when we set out each day. Florida-born Sonya Baumstein had to pack everything she needed for an up-to-six-month solo journey across the Pacific by rowboat that she began Sunday. Some highlights of her provisions and equipment:
- Richmond doctor pens book with cycling legend Greg LeMond Updated: Jun-06-15 9:50 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - About two years ago, Richmond doctor Mark Hom decided he wanted to write about the science behind proper fitness.