- Amgen hikes 2015 forecast after 2Q increase in profit, sales Updated: Jul-30-15 6:55 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - Amgen Inc. shares jumped in extended trading after the maker of osteoporosis drug Prolia easily beat Wall Street's second-quarter profit expectations and hiked its 2015 financial forecast.
- Price hike adds to sticker shock for medical marijuana Updated: Jul-30-15 6:30 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - One of Minnesota's medical marijuana manufacturers has raised its prices substantially after less than a month in business, adding to a cost that many patients are already struggling to cover.
- Pot legalization group files new signatures in ballot effort Updated: Jul-30-15 6:23 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A campaign to legalize marijuana for medicinal and recreational use in Ohio submitted more signatures Thursday as it tries to get the issue before fall voters.
- Brilinta? Brintellix? FDA warns of drug name mix-ups Updated: Jul-30-15 5:37 pm
NEW YORK - The Food and Drug Administration said Thursday that some doctors and pharmacies are getting confused by the similar names of an antidepressant and a blood-thinning medicine.
- Judge denies appeal of condition for using pot for PTSD Updated: Jul-30-15 1:50 pm
PHOENIX - Medical marijuana advocates have lost a court challenge to conditions set by Arizona health officials for post-traumatic stress sufferers seeking to qualify for treatment.
- Nevada's first medical marijuana dispensary to open Updated: Jul-30-15 12:26 pm
RENO, Nevada - The first medical marijuana dispensary in Nevada is finally set to open in Sparks.
- Nevada medical marijuana patient acquitted of drug charges Updated: Jul-30-15 6:16 am
LAS VEGAS - A Las Vegas medical marijuana patient who was accused of preparing to sell drugs has been acquitted of two felony drug charges.
- Drug firm AstraZeneca reports slide in earnings Updated: Jul-30-15 4:10 am
LONDON - Anglo-Swedish drug firm AstraZeneca says second-quarter net income fell 12 percent to $697 million as competition from generic drug companies reduced sales.
- Prescription drug take back initiative set for Sept. 26 Updated: Jul-30-15 3:17 am
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - Another prescription drug collection effort will be held in September.
- As petition looms, Wyoming panel begins look at legal pot Updated: Jul-29-15 7:16 pm
CHEYENNE, Wyoming - Wyoming's anti-pot governor has a warning for a task force he's named to study the effects of legal marijuana: It CAN happen here.
- Daugaard unsupportive of medical, decriminalized marijuana Updated: Jul-29-15 7:11 pm
PIERRE, South Dakota - Gov. Dennis Daugaard says he needs to review proposed ballot measures that would decriminalize marijuana possession and legalize medicinal cannabis, but the governor says he generally hasn't supported such proposals.
- Gilead beats Street 2Q forecasts on surge in sales, profit Updated: Jul-28-15 6:49 pm
Blockbuster hepatitis C medicine Harvoni propelled Gilead Sciences Inc.'s second-quarter profit up 23 percent as total revenue for the biotech drugmaker jumped 26 percent and it raised its 2015 sales forecast for the second time. Its shares jumped in after-hours trading.
- Drugmaker Pfizer tops Street 2Q forecasts, raises forecast Updated: Jul-28-15 1:38 pm
Pfizer Inc. beat Wall Street's second-quarter expectations and raised its 2015 forecast, as soaring sales for a few key products helped inoculate the world's second-largest drugmaker against a $1 billion revenue hit from foreign exchange rates and its last wave of cheap generic competition hurting former big sellers.
- Decision on medical marijuana dispensaries looms in NY Updated: Jul-28-15 12:58 pm
ALBANY, New York - New York state health officials plan to announce this week the companies selected to operate medical marijuana dispensaries.
- Romanian officials raid homes in medicines corruption probe Updated: Jul-28-15 10:36 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Romanian prosecutors have searched dozens of home and offices looking for evidence that drug companies offered doctors vacations and other incentives in exchange for prescribing cancer drugs.
- Merck tops Street 2Q forecasts despite lower sales, profit Updated: Jul-28-15 10:16 am
Merck & Co.'s second-quarter profit plunged by two-thirds, hammered by the sale of its consumer business, unfavorable currency exchange rates, lower sales of some key drugs and hefty one-time charges.
- Court details rules for immunity in medical marijuana cases Updated: Jul-28-15 7:13 am
LANSING, Michigan - The Michigan Supreme Court says judges should follow a four-part test before trial to determine whether defendants in cases involving medical marijuana are immune from prosecution.
- Study sees positive gains from 2012 prescription drug law Updated: Jul-27-15 4:02 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - Prescriptions for painkillers and doctor-shopping by pill seekers have decreased since Kentucky passed legislation targeting prescription drug abuse, according to a University of Kentucky study.
- Insanity defense weighed for mom charged with killing kids Updated: Jul-27-15 1:34 pm
NEW HAVEN, Connecticut - Attorneys for a Connecticut woman charged with killing her two children by poisoning them with antihistamines say they are considering an insanity defense.
- Software turns smartphones into tools for medical research Updated: Jul-27-15 10:46 am
SAN FRANCISCO - Jody Kearns doesn't like to spend time obsessing about her Parkinson's disease. The 56-year-old dietitian from Syracuse, New York, had to give up bicycling because the disorder affected her balance. But she still works, drives and tries to live a normal life.
- Israel's Teva buys Allergan generic drug company for $40.5B Updated: Jul-27-15 8:16 am
JERUSALEM - Israel's Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. said Monday it is purchasing Dublin-based Allergan PLC's generic pharmaceuticals business for $40.5 billion, in what Israeli analysts called the largest-ever acquisition by an Israeli company.
- FDA OKs breakthrough cholesterol drug for high-risk patients Updated: Jul-24-15 6:33 pm
WASHINGTON - The Food and Drug Administration on Friday approved a first-of-a-kind drug that lowers artery-clogging cholesterol more than older drugs that have been prescribed for decades.
- Bristol-Myers wins approval for 1st hepatitis C type 3 drug Updated: Jul-24-15 6:02 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - An experimental drug for one of the hardest-to-treat types of hepatitis C has been approved by the Food and Drug Administration, adding to the surge of new options - all much more effective but extremely costly - for patients with the liver-destroying virus.
- Man sentenced in widely-watched medical marijuana case Updated: Jul-24-15 5:31 pm
SPOKANE, Washington - The only member of the so-called "Kettle Falls Five" marijuana-growing family to plead guilty has received a 16-month sentence, but will remain out of custody pending an appeal.
- FDA OK's Odomzo from Novartis for common skin cancer type Updated: Jul-24-15 5:21 pm
EAST RUTHERFORD, New Jersey - A new drug for advanced basal cell carcinoma, an increasingly common cancer in the skin's top layer, has won Food and Drug Administration approval.