- California governor OKs medical marijuana regulations Updated: Oct-09-15 9:30 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - A trio of bills aimed at bringing order and oversight to California's medical marijuana industry nearly 20 years after the state led the nation in legalizing pot for medical use won Gov. Jerry Brown's signature, his office said Friday.
- Ohio prisons officials challenge FDA stand on execution drug Updated: Oct-09-15 5:55 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - With two dozen scheduled executions in limbo, Ohio sent a forceful letter to Washington on Friday asserting that the state believes it can obtain a lethal-injection drug from overseas without violating any laws.
- Oregon pot stores sell more than $11 million in first 5 days Updated: Oct-09-15 2:58 pm
SALEM, Oregon - Retailers sold more than $11 million of marijuana during Oregon's first week of legal recreational sales, outpacing the early business done in other states that have legalized pot, according to the Oregon Retailers of Cannabis Association.
- Broomfield's Noodles & Co. launches fresh food campaign Updated: Oct-09-15 5:01 am
BOULDER, Colorado - The Colorado-based food company Noodles & Co. plans to discontinue its use of antibiotics as part of a new campaign focused on fresh food.
- Oklahoma halts executions after using wrong drug on inmate Updated: Oct-08-15 5:33 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - Gov. Mary Fallin agreed Thursday that all executions in Oklahoma should be delayed after an autopsy report revealed that the wrong drug was used to stop an inmate's heart in January - one that experts say doesn't work as quickly or effectively.
- Petitions filed to allow medical marijuana use in Missouri Updated: Oct-08-15 5:29 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - The first step to put medical marijuana to a statewide vote next year came Thursday, with supporters filing initiative petitions with the Missouri secretary of state.
- Tribes get $4.4M to reduce drugs, suicide, domestic violence Updated: Oct-08-15 9:01 am
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - The Indian Health Services will support nine New Mexico tribes' and tribal organizations' efforts to reduce suicide, drug addiction and domestic violence with $4.39 million in federal grants.
- Illinois approves 3,100 medical marijuana patients Updated: Oct-08-15 4:05 am
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Illinois is continuing to approve patients to use medical marijuana, with about 100 more approval letters sent in September.
- Michigan House OKs bill to tax, regulate medical marijuana Updated: Oct-07-15 10:31 pm
LANSING, Michigan - Michigan would tax and regulate medical marijuana in a tiered licensing system similar to alcohol under legislation passed Wednesday by the House, where advocates said action is necessary due to confusion surrounding the legality of dispensary businesses and non-smokable forms of the drug.
- Trio wins Nobel Prize for mapping how cells fix DNA damage Updated: Oct-07-15 9:35 pm
STOCKHOLM - Tomas Lindahl was eating his breakfast in England on Wednesday when the call came - ostensibly, from the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences. It occurred to him that this might be a hoax, but then the caller started speaking Swedish.
- Illinois panel OKs medical marijuana for 8 health conditions Updated: Oct-07-15 4:47 pm
COUNTRYSIDE, Illinois - An advisory board voted Wednesday to add eight health conditions - including chronic pain syndrome, autism, osteoarthritis and post-traumatic stress disorder - to the list of illnesses that can be treated by medical marijuana in Illinois.
- Bill would expand Right to Try Act to include marijuana Updated: Oct-07-15 4:44 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - A pair of Republican lawmakers who helped author a bill to make a certain strain of marijuana permissible for treatment is seeking to go one step further.
- Washington County approves medical marijuana facility plan Updated: Oct-07-15 6:49 am
HAGERSTOWN, Maryland - A medical marijuana company has won site-plan approval for a proposed facility near Hagerstown.
- New Mexico OKs medical marijuana farm near Roswell Updated: Oct-07-15 5:01 am
ROSWELL, New Mexico - The New Mexico Department of Health has approved several applications to grow medical marijuana in the state, including a hotly debated proposed farm near Roswell.
- Police collect 18,400 pounds in unwanted prescription drugs Updated: Oct-07-15 3:30 am
INDIANAPOLIS - State police say Indiana residents turned in 18,400 pounds of outdated and unwanted prescription drugs to law enforcement officials at an event last month.
- Express Scripts to cover pricey new cholesterol treatments Updated: Oct-06-15 8:32 pm
The nation's biggest pharmacy benefits manager has decided to cover two new drugs that lower artery-clogging cholesterol but raise concern over prices that can top $14,000 a year.
- Central Ohio to get marijuana facility if Issue 3 passes Updated: Oct-06-15 2:37 pm
CLEVELAND - Officials say a new marijuana advocacy group will build a $24 million research facility in central Ohio and offer medical marijuana insurance if voters pass a constitutional amendment legalizing pot.
- New Mexico to license 12 new medical marijuana producers Updated: Oct-05-15 5:36 pm
SANTA FE, New Mexico - The New Mexico Department of Health says it will issue licenses to a dozen new producers as part of the state's medical marijuana program.
- What's in the defense bill for military and families? Updated: Oct-05-15 3:28 pm
WASHINGTON - Buried in the 1,915-page defense policy bill are significant changes that could affect more than 1 million members of the military and their families.
- 3 share Nobel medicine prize for tropical disease drugs Updated: Oct-05-15 1:47 pm
STOCKHOLM - The Nobel prize in medicine went Monday to three scientists hailed as "heroes in the truest sense of the word" for saving millions of lives with the creation of the world's leading malaria-fighting drug and another that has nearly wiped out two devastating tropical diseases.
- The Latest: Discovery on golf course inspired Nobel winner Updated: Oct-05-15 8:47 am
STOCKHOLM - Latest developments in the announcement of the Nobel Prize in Medicine (all times local):
- AP EXPLAINS: Steps to harvesting medical marijuana Updated: Oct-03-15 12:04 pm
ALBION, Illinois - Thousands of legal medical marijuana plants are growing under lights in a warehouse in Albion, a small southeastern Illinois city whose residents are more familiar with corn and soybeans. Ataraxia, which runs the facility, was the state's first cultivation company allowed to start growing plants. It has started harvesting and will be the first to deliver to licensed dispensaries throughout the state by mid-October. The Associated Press was given exclusive access to see the crop.
- AP Exclusive: Legal marijuana stirs hope in Illinois town Updated: Oct-03-15 12:03 pm
ALBION, Illinois - A skunky aroma fills the room in which hundreds of lush marijuana plants grow, some nearly ready for harvest. Grower Ashley Thompson, a former high school agriculture teacher in this rural part of southeastern Illinois, takes the scent of weed home with her.
- Supreme Court to review latest medical marijuana measure Updated: Oct-02-15 8:53 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - A measure to legalize medical marijuana is going before the Florida Supreme Court.
- Hospital: Nurse switched medication causing child's death Updated: Oct-02-15 6:11 pm
TWIN FALLS, Idaho - Officials in south-central Idaho say the child who died last month at a local hospital was given an adult dose of a saline solution infused with potassium phosphate.