- Romanian officials raid homes in medicines corruption probe Updated: Jul-28-15 8:55 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Romanian prosecutors have searched dozens of home and offices looking for evidence that drug companies offered doctors vacations and other incentives in exchange for prescribing cancer drugs.
- Merck tops Street 2Q forecasts despite lower sales, profit Updated: Jul-28-15 8:37 am
Merck & Co.'s second-quarter profit plunged by two-thirds, hammered by the sale of its consumer business, unfavorable currency exchange rates, lower sales of some key drugs and hefty one-time charges.
- Court details rules for immunity in medical marijuana cases Updated: Jul-28-15 7:13 am
LANSING, Michigan - The Michigan Supreme Court says judges should follow a four-part test before trial to determine whether defendants in cases involving medical marijuana are immune from prosecution.
- Study sees positive gains from 2012 prescription drug law Updated: Jul-27-15 4:02 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - Prescriptions for painkillers and doctor-shopping by pill seekers have decreased since Kentucky passed legislation targeting prescription drug abuse, according to a University of Kentucky study.
- Insanity defense weighed for mom charged with killing kids Updated: Jul-27-15 1:34 pm
NEW HAVEN, Connecticut - Attorneys for a Connecticut woman charged with killing her two children by poisoning them with antihistamines say they are considering an insanity defense.
- Software turns smartphones into tools for medical research Updated: Jul-27-15 10:46 am
SAN FRANCISCO - Jody Kearns doesn't like to spend time obsessing about her Parkinson's disease. The 56-year-old dietitian from Syracuse, New York, had to give up bicycling because the disorder affected her balance. But she still works, drives and tries to live a normal life.
- Israel's Teva buys Allergan generic drug company for $40.5B Updated: Jul-27-15 8:16 am
JERUSALEM - Israel's Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. said Monday it is purchasing Dublin-based Allergan PLC's generic pharmaceuticals business for $40.5 billion, in what Israeli analysts called the largest-ever acquisition by an Israeli company.
- FDA OKs breakthrough cholesterol drug for high-risk patients Updated: Jul-24-15 6:33 pm
WASHINGTON - The Food and Drug Administration on Friday approved a first-of-a-kind drug that lowers artery-clogging cholesterol more than older drugs that have been prescribed for decades.
- Bristol-Myers wins approval for 1st hepatitis C type 3 drug Updated: Jul-24-15 6:02 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - An experimental drug for one of the hardest-to-treat types of hepatitis C has been approved by the Food and Drug Administration, adding to the surge of new options - all much more effective but extremely costly - for patients with the liver-destroying virus.
- Man sentenced in widely-watched medical marijuana case Updated: Jul-24-15 5:31 pm
SPOKANE, Washington - The only member of the so-called "Kettle Falls Five" marijuana-growing family to plead guilty has received a 16-month sentence, but will remain out of custody pending an appeal.
- FDA OK's Odomzo from Novartis for common skin cancer type Updated: Jul-24-15 5:21 pm
EAST RUTHERFORD, New Jersey - A new drug for advanced basal cell carcinoma, an increasingly common cancer in the skin's top layer, has won Food and Drug Administration approval.
- Police: DEA joining probe in Santa Fe pot dispensary blast Updated: Jul-24-15 5:20 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - The U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration is joining an investigation into an explosion and fire at a Santa Fe medical marijuana dispensary that injured two people, police said Friday.
- Oregon TV anchor fired after testing positive for marijuana Updated: Jul-24-15 4:52 pm
PORTLAND, Oregon - An Oregon television anchor has turned into a marijuana activist after being fired for testing positive for the drug.
- Lack of inspector could delay medical marijuana in Las Vegas Updated: Jul-24-15 4:46 pm
LAS VEGAS - Dozens of medical marijuana businesses in Las Vegas may be forced to delay their openings while the state tries to fill regulatory positions designed to ensure dispensaries are complying with the law.
- EU regulator recommends 1st license for malaria vaccine Updated: Jul-24-15 10:25 am
LONDON - The European Medicines Agency has recommended approving what would be the world's first licensed malaria vaccine, even though it's only about 30 percent effective and its protection fades over time.
- India's 'Medicine Baba' gets drugs from rich, gives to poor Updated: Jul-24-15 5:40 am
NEW DELHI - Omkarnath spends his days searching New Delhi for drugs. A call to the phone number printed boldly on his saffron-colored tunic reveals his alternate identity: "Hello, I am Medicine Baba."
- Arrest affidavit offers look into case against Kansas mom Updated: Jul-23-15 5:31 pm
GARDEN CITY, Kansas - An arrest affidavit for a west Kansas woman accused of endangering her 11-year-old son by keeping marijuana around the house states the boy was able to draw a picture of the vaporizer she used to turn pot into cannabis oil.
- Advent of medical marijuana has Arizona courts at odds Updated: Jul-23-15 5:17 pm
PHOENIX - Arizona courts appear at odds over the possible impact of legalized medical marijuana on the ability of police to conduct searches prompted solely by officers smelling the drug.
- Iowa, federal rules differ over marijuana oil extract Updated: Jul-23-15 3:40 pm
DUBUQUE, Iowa - A Dubuque mother whose state cannabis card allows her to give oil extracted from marijuana to her epileptic son said she administers it in the parking lot of the boy's care center because the facility doesn't allow the treatment inside.
- Number of marijuana patients in RI doubles since 2013 Updated: Jul-23-15 7:46 am
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The state Department of Health reports the number of patients enrolled in the state's medical marijuana program has more than doubled since 2013.
- Coalition to give voice to medical marijuana patients Updated: Jul-23-15 4:16 am
CHICAGO - More than a dozen groups have formed a statewide coalition to make sure patients can get access to medical marijuana under Illinois' new pilot program.
- On-demand doctor apps bring Uber approach to medicine Updated: Jul-22-15 5:38 pm
WASHINGTON - It was 8 o'clock on a weeknight and Brooklyn resident Sarah Sheehan was reeling from a painful earache.
- Eli Lilly: Experimental Alzheimer's drug shows some benefit Updated: Jul-22-15 5:18 pm
WASHINGTON - Eli Lilly & Co. reported Wednesday that an experimental medication might slow mild Alzheimer's if people take it early enough, one of a handful of drugs in late-stage testing in the frustrating hunt for a better treatment.
- Medical dispensary files lawsuit over Medford pot sale ban Updated: Jul-22-15 1:41 pm
MEDFORD, Oregon - Medford's ban on pot sales is facing a lawsuit from a medical marijuana dispensary.
- Wyoming begins offering hemp registration cards Updated: Jul-22-15 5:07 am
CASPER, Wyoming - Wyoming epilepsy patients can now apply for hemp extract registration cards through the Wyoming Department of Health.