- Disgraced priest to wed pope adviser's daughter Updated: Dec-05-13 4:20 pm
- ACLU objects to school choirs at church concert Updated: Dec-05-13 2:34 pm
- Minn. archdiocese posts list of accused priests Updated: Dec-05-13 1:38 pm
- Pope forms commission to advise on sex abuse Updated: Dec-05-13 1:34 pm
- Nienstedt hopes release of list will restore trust Updated: Dec-05-13 12:26 pm
- Court hears discrimination case over wedding cake Updated: Dec-04-13 11:47 pm
- Winona diocese to release list of accused priests Updated: Dec-04-13 3:22 pm
- Religion news in brief Updated: Dec-04-13 12:12 pm
- Judge refuses to block Greenville school prayers Updated: Dec-04-13 9:25 am
- Nigeria: Trial for 500 Islamic extremist suspects Updated: Dec-04-13 8:16 am
- Ex-youth pastor admits sexual contact with girl Updated: Dec-04-13 6:37 am
- Nativity scene on display at Florida Capitol Updated: Dec-03-13 6:26 pm
- Notre Dame sues over birth control mandate Updated: Dec-03-13 4:52 pm
- Minister charged with distributing child porn Updated: Dec-03-13 10:37 am
- Twin Cities archdiocese to release priests' names Updated: Dec-02-13 7:41 pm
- Sacramento atheists spark debate with billboards Updated: Dec-02-13 6:48 pm
- Group accuses Kan. school of free speech violation Updated: Dec-02-13 6:19 pm
- Polish priest convicted of child sex abuse Updated: Dec-02-13 12:41 pm
- Christian sports camp facing sex abuse lawsuits Updated: Dec-02-13 10:32 am
- Maoist sect scrutinized in wake of UK slavery case Updated: Dec-01-13 8:05 am
- Court: Louisiana College lawsuit religious debate Updated: Nov-29-13 2:50 pm
- Dolan: Catholics 'outmarketed' on gay marriage Updated: Nov-29-13 2:25 pm
- Correction: Somalia-Security story Updated: Nov-29-13 1:37 pm
- Tax officials sue over exemptions for Macon church Updated: Nov-29-13 4:06 am
- Israel court fines woman over not circumcising son Updated: Nov-28-13 3:37 pm
VATICAN CITY - Thomas Williams, the onetime public face of the disgraced Legion of Christ religious order who left the priesthood after admitting he fathered a child, is getting married this weekend to the child's mother, The Associated Press has learned. The bride is the daughter of former U.S. Ambassador to the Holy See Mary Ann Glendon, one of Pope Francis' top advisers.
KALISPELL, Montana - Three high school choirs in northwestern Montana plan to participate in Christmas concerts at the Mormon church in Kalispell despite protests from the American Civil Liberties Union and the Freedom From Religion Foundation.
MINNEAPOLIS - The Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis on Thursday published a list of 34 priests who have been credibly accused of sexually abusing minors, following months of criticism that church leaders mishandled such allegations.
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis has responded to complaints that he has largely ignored the clerical sex abuse scandal by assembling a panel of experts to advise the Holy See on protecting children from pedophiles and helping abuse victims heal.
MINNEAPOLIS - The archbishop in St. Paul and Minneapolis says he hopes the disclosure of names of priests who have been accused of sexually abusing minors will help restore trust in the church and foster healing for those who have been harmed.
DENVER - A Colorado baker who refused to make a wedding cake for a same-sex ceremony should not be forced to violate his religious beliefs, his attorney told a judge deciding whether the cake-maker should be made to accommodate gay couples. But an attorney representing a gay couple countered Wednesday that the baker's faith doesn't give him a right to discriminate.
WINONA, Minnesota - The Diocese of Winona says it will comply with a judge's order and release a list of 13 priests credibly accused of sexually abusing minors.
Christmas tree is lit outside U.S. Capitol amid hymns
ANDERSON, South Carolina - A federal judge has ruled that Greenville County Schools can continue to allow student-led prayer and hold school events in places of worship while a lawsuit over the issues continues.
LAGOS, Nigeria - Nigeria's military is recommending immediate trial for 500 suspected extremist militants and the president is promising an economic boost for the northeast region confronting an Islamic uprising - both issues that address concerns expressed by the United States.
GREENFIELD, Indiana - A former youth pastor at a suburban Indianapolis church has pleaded guilty to charges that he had sexual contact with a girl who attended the church.
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - A private group placed a Nativity scene in the Florida state Capitol on Tuesday in an event that included prayers, children singing Christmas carols and a celebration of Jesus' birth.
SOUTH BEND, Indiana - The University of Notre Dame on Tuesday filed another lawsuit opposing portions of the federal health care overhaul that forces it to provide health insurance for students and employees that includes birth control, saying it contravenes the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church.
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - A 57-year-old Anchorage minister has been charged with possession and distribution of child pornography.
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - The Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis says it plans Thursday to release the names of priests credibly accused of sexually abusing minors.
SACRAMENTO, California - Amid the barrage of Christmas advertising, a group of non-believers is blanketing California's capital city with billboards proclaiming their lack of faith - and that atheists can be "good moral people, too."
BONNER SPRINGS, Kansas - An Arizona group has filed a federal lawsuit accusing a suburban Kansas City middle school of violating a student's First Amendment rights by prohibiting the student from handing out fliers promoting a prayer event.
WARSAW, Poland - A Roman Catholic priest in central Poland was sentenced Monday to 8 ½ years in prison after being convicted of sexually abusing five boys.
BRANSON, Missouri - A Christian sports camp network based in Branson is facing two lawsuits alleging sexual abuse of young male campers by an ex-director who is serving a long prison sentence for sexual abuse of boys.
LONDON - When Sian Davies died after mysteriously falling out of a window in a south London house 16 years ago, her family was stunned - they had not seen her for two decades.
PINEVILLE, Louisiana - The state appeal court in Lake Charles has dismissed a lawsuit brought by four former professors against Louisiana College, saying it's a religious debate rather than a legal matter.
NEW YORK - New York's Cardinal Timothy Dolan says the Roman Catholic Church has been "outmarketed" on the issue of gay marriage and has been "caricatured as being anti-gay."
MOGADISHU, Somalia - In a story Nov. 28 about Somalia's security efforts, The Associated Press reported erroneously that the police used an armored Casper truck. The correct spelling of the word is Casspir. A corrected version of the story is below:
MACON, Georgia - Local tax assessors want a court to force a Macon church to pay more property taxes.
JERUSALEM - An Israeli rabbinic court has fined a woman hundreds of dollars for refusing to circumcise her baby son, officials said Thursday, in a landmark case that has sparked a new uproar over the role of religion in the Jewish state.