- Man pleads guilty to molesting teen in church bathroom Updated: May-04-16 8:12 am
BRIDGEPORT, Connecticut - A New Haven man charged with sexually molesting a 13-year-old boy in the bathroom of a Bridgeport church has pleaded guilty just before his trial was about to start.
- Praying for police: Law agencies hold Lowcountry service Updated: May-04-16 5:02 am
CHARLESTON, South Carolina - A prayer service to show appreciation for Lowcountry law enforcement officers is scheduled to be held in Charleston.
- Lawsuit: Nevada worker fired for not accepting Scientology Updated: May-03-16 11:30 pm
LAS VEGAS - A Catholic woman fired from her job at a bottled water company led by a Nevada lawmaker has filed a federal lawsuit against the business, saying she was pressured to watch videos on Scientology and was denied pay raises because of her religious beliefs.
- Texas prison ban on Muslim inmate beards, caps ruled illegal Updated: May-03-16 6:11 pm
DALLAS - A federal appeals court panel has upheld a Texas prison inmate's right to a beard and skullcap as required by his religious beliefs.
- Bangladesh blogger seeks US help as threats escalate Updated: May-03-16 5:25 pm
WASHINGTON - When Bangladeshi blogger and social activist Ashif Entaz Rabi hosted a TV talk show about a slaying of a publisher by Islamic extremists, he faced a torrent of threatening phone calls. He says young men with earpieces started loitering outside his workplace, and a militant website urged followers to "send this Ashif to Allah."
- St. Thomas faces suit over suspension in sexual assault case Updated: May-03-16 1:55 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - A student is suing a private Catholic university in St. Paul over its handling of a sexual assault allegation against him.
- Lawsuit accuses Connecticut rabbi of sexual abuse Updated: May-03-16 1:23 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - A Connecticut rabbi is accused of raping and molesting a teenage boy hundreds of times when the boy was a student at a Jewish boarding school in New Haven from 2001 to 2005, according to a lawsuit filed Tuesday in federal court.
- Archbishop concerned as primaries head to New Mexico Updated: May-03-16 12:54 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - Santa Fe Archbishop John Wester has joined other religious leaders in voicing concerns about the political rhetoric surrounding immigration as the presidential primary campaign heads to New Mexico.
- The Latest: Connecticut rabbi denies sexual abuse claims Updated: May-03-16 12:22 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - The Latest on a lawsuit accusing a Connecticut rabbi of sexually abusing a Jewish boarding school student (all times local):
- Jewish leader urges Sweden to prioritize anti-Semitism fight Updated: May-03-16 11:55 am
STOCKHOLM - The president of the European Jewish Congress says Sweden needs to be vigilant of anti-Semitism among some refugees seeking shelter in the Nordic country.
- Jewish leader asks Michelin to taste Israeli cuisine Updated: May-03-16 11:28 am
JERUSALEM - The leader of an umbrella organization representing world Jewry has asked the Michelin travel guide company to evaluate Israeli restaurants with its famous rating system, implying that the decision to omit the country may be political.
- 'Sharia police' that patrolled German city to be tried Updated: May-03-16 9:20 am
BERLIN - A German court says a group of Islamic extremists who patrolled the streets of the city of Wuppertal in orange vests with the words "Sharia police" can be tried for violating laws against wearing uniforms with political messages.
- Bangladesh war crimes court sentences 4 to death Updated: May-03-16 8:15 am
NEW DELHI - A special war crimes court in Bangladesh sentenced four men to death Tuesday for killing, torture, arson and looting during the nation's independence war against Pakistan in 1971.
- Detention powers stir concern over Indonesia terror law Updated: May-03-16 3:25 am
JAKARTA, Indonesia - A lawmaker involved in vetting Indonesia's proposed counter-terrorism law says a contentious provision allowing detention without trial for six months could undermine the fight against Islamic extremism.
- The Latest: New Mexico bishops attack anti-child abuse push Updated: May-02-16 5:40 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - The Latest on a New Mexico campaign aimed at tackling child abuse (all times local):
- Affidavit: Wife present when youth minister abused child Updated: May-02-16 2:20 pm
CANAAN, Maine - Court documents indicated a youth minister's wife was present when he allegedly sexually abused a girl.
- Nursing homes starting to offer more individualized menus Updated: May-02-16 3:22 am
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado - There is a growing trend among the nation's 15,600 nursing homes to abandon rigid menus and strict meal times in favor of a more individualized approach toward food.
- Bill would require colleges to reveal religious exemptions Updated: May-01-16 3:58 pm
BOSTON - Congresswoman Katherine Clark is pushing legislation she says will help members of the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender community make more informed decisions about college.
- The Latest: Iraqis announce disbanding of Green Zone protest Updated: May-01-16 12:01 pm
BAGHDAD - The Latest on Iraq's political crisis (all times local):
- Nationalist party declares Islam doesn't belong to Germany Updated: May-01-16 9:53 am
BERLIN - Members of the nationalist Alternative for Germany party have backed a political program that says Islam doesn't belong to Germany and supports a ban against minarets, muezzin calls and headscarves for women and girls in school.
- Grammy museums director wants repeal of Mississippi LGBT law Updated: Apr-30-16 4:25 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - After opening the only Grammy Museum outside Los Angeles in the Mississippi Delta, the museums' director Bob Santelli had planned to bring his 28-year-old son to visit the high-tech facility honoring the cradle of the blues.
- Complaint accuses hospital of religious discrimination Updated: Apr-30-16 3:24 pm
ASHEVILLE, North Carolina - A complaint filed by a federal agency is accusing Mission Hospital of religious discrimination and violating federal law for firing three workers who refused to adhere to the hospital's flu vaccine requirement and declined the shot.
- Deal considers measures as deadline looms Updated: Apr-30-16 11:41 am
ATLANTA - Several pieces of legislation continue to wait on the desk of Gov. Nathan Deal, as the May 3 deadline looms for Deal to sign, veto or opt to not take action on the measures.
- Visiting Syrian bishop to discuss Christians' persecution Updated: Apr-30-16 9:37 am
NEW HAVEN, Connecticut - A Syrian archbishop is visiting New Haven this weekend to talk about the persecution of Christians and other religious minorities in Iraq and Syria.
- Ex-priest gets 20-40 years in prison for sexual assault Updated: Apr-30-16 1:50 am
JACKSON, Michigan - Victims confronted a former Roman Catholic priest in court Friday as he was sentenced to at least 20 years in prison for sexually abusing students at a Michigan high school in the 1980s.