- China pledges to cut 300,000 troops from its massive army Updated: Sep-03-15 1:03 am
BEIJING - Chinese President Xi Jinping on Thursday pledged to cut China's 2.3 million-member People's Liberation Army by 300,000 troops, amid rising manpower costs and technological capabilities that reduce the need for large numbers of personnel.
- A preview of new gear China's military showing off at parade Updated: Sep-02-15 1:10 am
BEIJING - When China rolls out its latest armaments Thursday for a lavish parade commemorating the defeat of Japan in World War II, defense experts and foreign armies will be watching closely for any revelations about new military capabilities.
- Carter, in folksy talks, describes US military of future Updated: Sep-01-15 5:09 pm
WASHINGTON - Defense Secretary Ash Carter used a speech and a wide-ranging exchange with troops on social media sites Tuesday to press his agenda for change in the military, signaling his early support for expanded maternity leave, women serving in combat jobs and greater flexibility pay, promotions and benefits.
- Rhode Island partners with Navy to grow defense businesses Updated: Aug-30-15 9:52 am
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The state is partnering with the Navy to grow businesses working on undersea and naval technologies.
- Pentagon funding new high-tech venture Updated: Aug-28-15 5:21 pm
MOUNTAIN VIEW, California - Defense Secretary Ash Carter announced Friday that the Pentagon is funding a new venture to develop cutting-edge electronics and sensors that can flex and stretch and could be built into clothing or the skins of ships and aircraft.