- S. Korea shuts down joint industrial park with N. Korea Updated: Feb-10-16 11:20 pm
PAJU, South Korea - South Korean workers on Thursday began shutting down a jointly run industrial park in North Korea, a move that will end, at least temporarily, the Koreas' last major cooperation project as punishment over Pyongyang's recent rocket launch.
- Japan announces new sanctions on North Korea Updated: Feb-10-16 6:59 am
TOKYO - Japan announced Wednesday that it will impose new sanctions on North Korea to protest a rocket launch seen as a test of missile technology.
- Key developments following North Korea's rocket launch Updated: Feb-10-16 5:06 am
North Korea's launch of a long-range rocket has drawn sharp condemnations and threats of new sanctions. World leaders say Sunday's launch violated a U.N. ban on Pyongyang's use of ballistic missile technology. North Korea says the launch of a new Earth observation satellite, the Kwangmyongsong 4, or Shining Star 4, is part of a peaceful space program.
- Belligerence as strategy: Pyongyang and its provocations Updated: Feb-09-16 5:16 am
In Japan, the prime minister said North Korea would be committing a "grave, provocative act" if it followed through on plans to launch a long-range rocket. South Korea warned of "searing consequences" if the launch went ahead. Moscow and Washington, which rarely agree on much of anything these days, both denounced Pyongyang's plans. Even China, North Korea's closest ally, said it was worried.
- UN condemns NKorea launch, pledges significant new sanctions Updated: Feb-07-16 11:41 pm
SEOUL, South Korea - The U.N. Security Council condemned North Korea's launch of a long-range rocket that world leaders called a banned test of ballistic missile technology and another "intolerable provocation." The U.N.'s most powerful body pledged to quickly adopt a new resolution with "significant" new sanctions.
- The Latest: Japan mulls sanctions after NKorea launch Updated: Feb-07-16 11:28 pm
SEOUL, South Korea - The Latest on North Korea's launch of a long-range rocket (all times local):
- Experts say launch won't bring N. Korea much closer to ICBM Updated: Feb-05-16 3:48 am
TOKYO - Japan has deployed PAC-3 missile batteries in the heart of Tokyo to shoot down any incoming rocket debris. South Korea is reportedly mobilizing two Aegis-equipped destroyers. The U.S. is already gunning to punish Pyongyang for what it says will be a ballistic missile test in the guise of a space launch.
- Japan unveils stealth plane, may combine with next-gen jet Updated: Jan-28-16 7:52 am
TOYOYAMA, Japan - Japan unveiled its first homemade stealth plane Thursday as it tries to catch up on the technology and enhance its reconnaissance and intelligence capabilities as China expands its own military presence in the region.
- France's Hollande views Indian Republic Day parade Updated: Jan-26-16 10:45 am
NEW DELHI - French President Francois Hollande was wrapping up a three-day visit to India on Tuesday by watching an elaborate display of Indian military hardware and marching bands in India's Republic Day celebrations.